HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc-Andre Bergeron (TBL), Trent Whitfield (BOS), Kyle Wilson (CBJ) - [All cleared]

Old
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
I didn't realize having such a low salary would mean he's not subjected to re-entry waivers. That's actually a great sign by stevie y. 1 mil on a waiver player who hasn't played all season is too risky, nobody will claim & he clears. Now hell get paid 100k in ahl, which is nothing to an nhl club. But bc he is only making that, he can be called up when he's ready & they can't lose him. Very smart imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah, that's some serious GM'ing.
Isn't this talk of Yzerman's brilliance a bit premature if another GM steps in and claims him before noon tomorrow?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
A conditioning stint is only good for 2 weeks or 5 games which ever comes first. They want him down longer than that.
Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Bergeron is exempt from re-entry waivers because his AHL salary is 105K. Any player with an AHL salary of more than 105K would have to clear re-entry waivers to come back up. Since his isn't, he can be recalled without going through re-entry waivers when the Lightning get the green light that he's healthy and in game shape.

The conditioning stint procedure, as already posted, is 14 days. The Lightning seem to want him down there for more than that, so a conditioning stint isn't an option, which is why Yzerman smartly made sure Bergeron's AHL salary was 105K or less, hence making it impossible to lose him on re-entry waivers.

At a 1M cap hit, he'll clear and he'll spend the time he needs down there. He'll then be recalled and come up when ready, as planned. I'll give Bergeron about a month down there. I'd be surprised to see him down there for more than that. I expect him back up and being in the Lightning lineup way before the trade deadline.

I expect Whitfield and Wilson to clear and to be assigned to the minors.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
mohare

The rest of the league could collude to screw Tampa by repeatedly claiming him off waivers and assigning him to the AHL (putting him back on waivers), forcing Tampa to have to reclaim him and keep him on their big team when they get up to top waiver priority.

It'd be an NHL filibuster!

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Isn't this talk of Yzerman's brilliance a bit premature if another GM steps in and claims him before noon tomorrow?
What team is going to add $1m to their cap for a guy who may or may not be able to play this season? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be very surprised.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Of course, any team which claims him would have to keep him on their Active Roster with a $1M cap hit - or put him through waivers again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
The rest of the league could collude to screw Tampa by repeatedly claiming him off waivers and assigning him to the AHL (putting him back on waivers), forcing Tampa to have to reclaim him and keep him on their big team when they get up to top waiver priority.

Of course, the teams would be dropping $15K a pop to claim him.

Tampa would never have the highest priority for a claim - waiver priority is based purely on the current standings and any past waiver history has no bearing on priority.

The second best thing that could happen to Tampa - the best being, obviously, no one claims him - is that some other team claims him and later waives him and no other team (besides Tampa) puts in a claim then. In that case, Tampa could send him down without asking waivers again.

Last edited by kdb209: 01-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.
kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What team is going to add $1m to their cap for a guy who may or may not be able to play this season? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be very surprised.
Well all they have to do is take the shortcut Yzerman's trying to avoid - try him in the NHL immediately. Heck they could even send him to the AHL on a conditioning stint. I'd have to think some teams with terrible powerplays would flirt with the idea, at least. If it works, fine, if not, then you waive him. While I agree it would be unlikely, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Close. It's 14 days, but no limits on the number of games.
I dont understand why Leighton needed the NHL to play an extra weekend in the AHL... He was at 4 and the Flyers were planning him to play 2 over the week end. here they say 6 days... really confusing the CBA...

http://www.hockeypolls.com/content/p...el-leighton-ir

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well all they have to do is take the shortcut Yzerman's trying to avoid - try him in the NHL immediately. Heck they could even send him to the AHL on a conditioning stint. I'd have to think some teams with terrible powerplays would flirt with the idea, at least. If it works, fine, if not, then you waive him. While I agree it would be unlikely, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
You're right, it could happen. I don't think it's likely, but I would be very entertained

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
I dont understand why Leighton needed the NHL to play an extra weekend in the AHL... He was at 4 and the Flyers were planning him to play 2 over the week end. here they say 6 days... really confusing the CBA...

http://www.hockeypolls.com/content/p...el-leighton-ir
It's because Leighton was on LTIR. The rules are a bit different for a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness (aka LTIR) Conditioning Loan.

A conditioning loan under LTIR is limited to 6 days / 3 games with a one time extension of 2 add'l games (with League permission).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.9
13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player
who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50
may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness
Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL
Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness
Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days
and three (3) games
, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to
play. If the Club determines that it needs more time to assess the Player's fitness to play,
the Club may file a written request by facsimile with the Commissioner's Office, with a
copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for an
additional two (2) games
. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the onetime
extension.
The Commissioner's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A
Player on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will
continue to be listed on Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club's 23-man
roster limit. The Club's Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception will continue
until the Conditioning Loan ends, and his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses will
continue to count against the Club's Upper Limit and the Players' Share during such time.
The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the
circumstances under which a Player is placed on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness
Conditioning Loan. If he has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the
Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Conditioning Loan to evade Re-Entry Waivers or
otherwise to Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take other disciplinary
action against the Club as he deems appropriate. A Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness
Conditioning Loan may be extended on one occasion. This procedure can only be used
once during each period of time that the Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury
Exception.

Old
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCI Center View Post
He got into more games than I ever thought he would after leaving Washington/Hershey, good luck to him, hope he gets back to the NHL.

Seems like a really good guy from all accounts, still, I'll always remember how awkwardly unemotional he was when he was interviewed on his birthday in his first NHL games between periods after scoring his first NHL point .
He was actually pretty good at the beginning of the season, sad to see that his production has tailed off. I wish him the best of luck, and would certainly welcome him back to Hershey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post

Except the Lightning would have the first shot to claim him after he's put back on waivers.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:51 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Except the Lightning would have the first shot to claim him after he's put back on waivers.
Sigh. This piece of mis-information keeps coming back.

A team that loses a player on Waivers has no special priority if he is waived again. Waiver priority is ONLY based on standings - last seasons if before Nov 1, otherwise the current standings (based on a %-age of possible pts earned, to account for differences in games played).

The ONLY benefit that a team has (if they lose a player on Waivers and he is later waived again that season) is that if they are the only team to put in a claim then, they are permitted to send the player down without asking waivers again. This is to prevent a single team from perpetually blocking a Loan by continually claiming and then re-waiving a player.

Last edited by kdb209: 01-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
BennyBST

I'm sort of surprised that Wilson got waived, he didn't seem like he was doing too bad in CLB.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I'm sort of surprised that Wilson got waived, he didn't seem like he was doing too bad in CLB.
I haven't watched the last few games, but he was.. I was surprised. Kind of confused about this.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
He started the season hot, but hasn't done much of anything since mid-November. He's been scratched quite a bit since other guys have gotten healthy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20102011

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

All three clear.

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie: Whitfield (BOS). M.A. Bergeron (TB) and Wilson (CBJ) clear waivers.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
So is Yzerman brilliant now?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I forget his name but their cap manager, the guy they got from Montreal, apparently he's a real wizz with all the technicalities. I'm sure he's the one who set up all of this stuff to eventually get Bergeron playing for Tampa.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Sigh. This piece of mis-information keeps coming back.

A team that loses a player on Waivers has no special priority if he is waived again. Waiver priority is ONLY based on standings - last seasons if before Nov 1, otherwise the current standings (based on a %-age of possible pts earned, to account for differences in games played).

The ONLY benefit that a team has (if they lose a player on Waivers and he is later waived again that season) is that if they are the only team to put in a claim then, they are permitted to send the player down without asking waivers again. This is to prevent a single team from perpetually blocking a Loan by continually claiming and then re-waiving a player.
Show me the statute that says that. As far as I have ever read from anything (including bloggers, team beat writers, etc) was that if a player is claimed and the claiming team wants to move him anywhere other than putting him on their NHL roster (IE: waive, trade, buyout etc) than the team that lost the player on waivers is offered the player first and foremost. If they decline than he has to go through normal waivers again, and if not claimed that time, the player can be moved.

This is exactly what happened with the Lightning and Chicago with Smolenak last year.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
All three clear.
Im suprised Wilson cleared. i'd have thought Snow would continue to dumpster dive and see if he can find any more gems.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Im suprised Wilson cleared. i'd have thought Snow would continue to dumpster dive and see if he can find any more gems.
Has he actually found any gems to begin with? I dont think so.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Show me the statute that says that. As far as I have ever read from anything (including bloggers, team beat writers, etc) was that if a player is claimed and the claiming team wants to move him anywhere other than putting him on their NHL roster (IE: waive, trade, buyout etc) than the team that lost the player on waivers is offered the player first and foremost. If they decline than he has to go through normal waivers again, and if not claimed that time, the player can be moved.

This is exactly what happened with the Lightning and Chicago with Smolenak last year.

Here is everything the CBA has to say on Waiver priority:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.19
13.19 If only one Club makes a claim for the Player on whom Waivers have been
requested, such Player shall be transferred to that Club. In the event that more than one
Club makes a claim for such Player, he shall be transferred to the claiming Club having
earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the
request for Waivers
or, if Waivers are requested outside the playing season, then to the
Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the preceding season's
schedule of Regular Season Games. If the successful Waiver claim is made before
November 1st then the priority shall be determined by the final standing in the League's
Regular Season schedule in the preceding season.
If a team claims a player on waivers and then wants to trade him, he does not have to be offered back to his original team - he has to be offered at waiver price to any other team which put in an unsuccessful lower priority claim when he was waived. The rules are slightly different under Article 13.23 (for players like Svatos who are on waivers because they played overseas after the start of the NHL season and claimed) - they must clear a new round of waivers before being traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.20(b)
(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to
another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired
unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when
Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.23
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside
North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his
Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)
only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the
Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or
Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
The only benefit that a team has if they lose a player on Waivers and he is waived again that year is that if they are the only team to put in a claim, then they can send him down without asking waivers again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.22
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular, Re-Entry or Unconditional Waivers,
and, subsequently, in the same season it requestsWaivers on the same Player and the
original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the
original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league
within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not
participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster
more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
This is to prevent a team from blocking another teams minor league assignment by continuously claiming and then waiving the player.

Last edited by kdb209: 01-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old
01-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Has he actually found any gems to begin with? I dont think so.
Grabner has been pretty good with us. Might not be putting up numbers, but his line is effective and he has speed for days.

PAP, although not a waiver pickup, as much as some fans think his just riding shotgun, has more points the Lecav.

Shremp is finding his game finally, and has yet to finish his rookie 'year' of 82 games.

Are they super stars? No. Role players on a playoff team? Yup. Possible pieces to the puzzle? We'll see.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote