HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Commercial blades vs. what the pros really use

Old
12-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
Commercial blades vs. what the pros really use

I know that most blades labeled with a player name are not really what the player uses, but it struck me as odd looking at the Reebok Duchene curve how much it looks like the one he really uses (at least what I could see of it watching the Avs' pregame warmup). Anyone know of some other blades sold to the public that are actually pretty similar to what the guy who's name on the blade actually uses? Just curious.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:52 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
A large number of pros use wedges similar to the Drury. Drury himself uses a heel wedge.

Sakic used something pretty similar to his retail pattern.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
dimi19

good thread, i know for a fact that kovy does NOT use the "kovalev" heel-curve pattern which is on the warrior commercial (as you call it) blade, i actually met him at one of his charity auctions this November, and i saw one of his actual game sticks, and the curve was a crazy, crazy toe curve, so i came up to him and asked him, and he said that he does indeed play with a toe curve,

so yeah, it's really weird that the companies place players' names on curves that they don't actually play with,

another thing i found interesting, kovy plays with a two piece blade shaft combo, not a one piece, he likes it better that way he says

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
robat19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
good thread, i know for a fact that kovy does NOT use the "kovalev" heel-curve pattern which is on the warrior commercial (as you call it) blade, i actually met him at one of his charity auctions this November, and i saw one of his actual game sticks, and the curve was a crazy, crazy toe curve, so i came up to him and asked him, and he said that he does indeed play with a toe curve,

so yeah, it's really weird that the companies place players' names on curves that they don't actually play with,

another thing i found interesting, kovy plays with a two piece blade shaft combo, not a one piece, he likes it better that way he says
It's not really weird. They're just pretty much standard curves that the general person buying a stick would be able to identify. From company to company the curves are pretty similar just with different names. Also, they often change the names, The former St. Louis is now Malkin, and the former Lindros is now Kane.

robat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:44 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

http://patterndb.org/main.php

Not always up to date with every player, but a good idea on many of them.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 04:00 AM
dimi19

well, no i disagree, it IS in fact actually weird, why.... well, if kovy uses a toe curve, then don't advertise and place his name on a heel curve, i'm sure that there is another recognizable player that is sponsored by warrior that plays with a heel curve, so put that player's name on it, and make a toe curve and call it the kovalev curve, so yeah it's totally WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD that stick companies mislead like this

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:38 AM
AIREAYE

No, it's called marketing and it's industry standard. Think of endorsements, not every endorser uses the products they're being paid to promote in their private lives.

fyi, the Malkin is now the PM9 Stamkos

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
DevsFan84

Its just marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.

When a player (for example, Malkin) leaves a company (Bauer) they replace him with someone else (Stamkos) If the curve happens to be something similar to what he uses, its pure coincidence.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
frito

Call me strange, but I would much prefer for all the manufacturers to just list the pattern, depth, open/closed, lie etc on the blade like Easton does, I don't give a rats behind whose name is on it. I do know I like a heel curve so just tell me what it is without me having to do a bunch of extra research.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The name game is incredibly confusing when it turns over multiple times per year. I would rather have each company adopt letters/numbers like Bauer, Combat, Battleaxe, Harrow, etc.

It's funny the number of pros who use a Drury who have a different curve named after them: Chara, Heatley, Getzlaf, Iginla, Zetterberg, Parise (actually kind of close to retail), Lidstrom, Savard, Draper...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
A large number of pros use wedges similar to the Drury. Drury himself uses a heel wedge.

Sakic used something pretty similar to his retail pattern.
That one doesn't surprise me. Always imagined him using something like that. I should go look up pictures to check it out

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Joe Cole

What peeves me is that none of the stick manufacturers sell sticks with very pronounced curves, even if they are totally allowed in beer leagues, and the pro's definitely are using them.

I would say 50% of NHL players play with curves much deeper, more open, and more wild then anything you can readily find in your random hockey store.

Heat the blade up and curve it yourself.... you risk trashing a $200 stick. They are just too expensive and sensitive for the regular Joe to play hit and miss with.

Ask me how I know....

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
What peeves me is that none of the stick manufacturers sell sticks with very pronounced curves, even if they are totally allowed in beer leagues, and the pro's definitely are using them.

I would say 50% of NHL players play with curves much deeper, more open, and more wild then anything you can readily find in your random hockey store.

Heat the blade up and curve it yourself.... you risk trashing a $200 stick. They are just too expensive and sensitive for the regular Joe to play hit and miss with.

Ask me how I know....
Yes, they do.

The Warrior KGB one-piece comes in the Kremlin curve, which is a clone of the Ovechkin pro curve. Huge toe with an open face.

Warrior also has the Gionta curve, a big toe with a closed face that is nearly identical to the Kovalchuk pro stock.

Bauer has brought the p14 curve from the bauerid program to retail on the total one, one100, one80, and vapor x60 le stick. It's like an easton sakic or bauer p92 with a little more toe.

Sherwood still has the Coffey curve, which is a 3/4 mid curve, basically a huge banana.

Easton has brought back the old Shanahan, now called the Cammalieri, which has a decent toe curve, a little open.

Base hockey also offers blades and one piece sticks with the BC01, which is the clone of the Marian Hossa pro blade, toe curve with an open face.

There are plenty of options out there at retail, you just have to look.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm hoping for someone to bring the Darby curve back to retail

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air