HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
How many days has Leighton been on an NHL roster for each of the previous two seasons?

Leighton falls under A, but I am not so sure about B. It would appear he doesn't qualify for this given that Holmgren talked about re-entry, but it has to be pretty close. If playoffs count, then I think he has over 40 last season. Would be awesome if he actually didn't, though, since then Holmgren would have no way to easily screw this up.
Leighton has played in 104 NHL games. Easily that many AHL games. So yeas he does qualify for re-entry waivers no matter how you look at it. So sorry the chance is out there that Holmgren could eff this up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/v...3f86&pid=42501

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
No sense getting wrapped around all the hypotheticals. The fact remains that the Leighton signing was ill-advised b/c he is a pedestrian goalie who caught lightening in a bottle, got his payout, and is now back to being a waiver retread. There was no reason to give this guy a substantial raise given his unproven track record. There was also no reason to not allow the market to determine his value. Sadly now we are seeing what his market value is. Holmgren just outright crapped the bed with Leighton and as people were saying it would have made more logical sense to sign one of those goalies with a more proven track record at a fair price given how the market was saturated in the offseason with goalies. I mean Holmgren seemed to have a Business 101 brain fart with Leighton and he didn't learn from the Jones debacle. But "it is what it is" I suppose...
What can you do?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
xifentoozlerix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Leighton has played in 104 NHL games. Easily that many AHL games. So yeas he does qualify for re-entry waivers no matter how you look at it. So sorry the chance is out there that Holmgren could eff this up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/v...3f86&pid=42501
The A part is that a player has to have played over 180 pro games total and the B part is that they haven't been on the roster for 80 NHL games the last two seasons or 40 NHL games in the last season to be considered a Veteran Minor League player. So he falls under A but I am pretty sure for B he doesn't.

Last edited by xifentoozlerix: 01-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.
xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
The A part is that a player has to have played over 180 pro games total and the B part is that they haven't been on the roster for 80 NHL games the last two seasons or 40 NHL games in the last season to be considered a Veteran Minor League player. So he falls under A but I am pretty sure for B he doesn't.
http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
You sure about this? I have read this section and I am not clear that Leighton will be OK to come up in the playoffs. But like everything in that document, it seems vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Leighton would still have to clear re-entry waivers in the playoffs.

"CBA Article 13.2
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to
the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's
Playing Season.
Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player
may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except
when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season
Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative
since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days
cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last
cleared.
"

The only question I could see is if the "Club's Playing Season" includes the postseason... But on Page 237 of the CBA it mentions "a Club's playing season being completed during the Regular Season of a League Year"... There is no direct definition of it however in the CBA that can be found in a PDF search.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 01-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
jb**

what happesn if boucher or the rushkie have a long term injury? assuming bob backlund is out of the picture

1. do you recall leighton and risk him getting claimed hurting your cap space this year and next? then you make a deal?

2. do you make the deal first and preserve your cap space?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
agrudez*

My boss, who doesn't really follow hockey at all, just stopped by my desk to ask if I saw Leighton about to cry on the news.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
My boss, who doesn't really follow hockey at all, just stopped by my desk to ask if I saw Leighton about to cry on the news.
3 Million bucks to play in the AHL, I would be crying tears of joy too.

Any realistic way to get Vokoun ?

Carle/Coburn and Bob/Boosh ???

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
3 Million bucks to play in the AHL, I would be crying tears of joy too.

Any realistic way to get Vokoun ?

Carle/Coburn and Bob/Boosh ???
Carle and Coburn make too much money to be palatable for Florida. They would want nothing but picks+prospects... but then we couldn't fit Vokoun salary wise.

I don't see it happening.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Carle and Coburn make too much money to be palatable for Florida. They would want nothing but picks+prospects... but then we couldn't fit Vokoun salary wise.

I don't see it happening.
I think Coburn might be of interest to them. If we could get Vokoun as a rental for one of them, we would be very tough to beat !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Forget it. Why does everyone want to trade our third best defenseman. Coburn has been playing lights out recently

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think Coburn might be of interest to them. If we could get Vokoun as a rental for one of them, we would be very tough to beat !
As a player, yes he may be of interest, as salary on the books, he probably isn't.

Florida is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Forget it. Why does everyone want to trade our third best defenseman. Coburn has been playing lights out recently
3rd best defenseman? Are you serious?

From this year's play:
Meszaros
Timonen
Pronger
O'Donnell
Carle = Coburn

From last year's play:
Pronger
Timonen
Carle
O'Donnell (LA)
Meszaros (TB) = Coburn

People are obsessed with his size, but when has he actually ever used it?

His speed and skating are literally the only things that make him a competent NHL dman because he needs to them make up for all his boneheaded mistakes.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
As a player, yes he may be of interest, as salary on the books, he probably isn't.

Florida is cheap.

3rd best defenseman? Are you serious?

From this year's play:
Meszaros
Timonen
Pronger
O'Donnell
Carle = Coburn

From last year's play:
Pronger
Timonen
Carle
O'Donnell (LA)
Meszaros (TB) = Coburn

People are obsessed with his size, but when has he actually ever used it?

His speed and skating are literally the only things that make him a competent NHL dman because he needs to them make up for all his boneheaded mistakes.
Um.......

This year:

Timonen
Pronger
Meszaros
Coburn
Carle (with Pronger)
O'Donnell
Carle (without Pronger)

Last year in the playoffs:
Pronger
Timonen
Coburn
Carle
---nobody---

Last season:
Pronger
Timonen
Carle (with Pronger all season)
Coburn (2nd half of the season)
Coburn (1st half of the season)/Meszaros (TB)
O'Donnell (LA)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Um.......

This year:

Timonen
Pronger
Meszaros
Coburn
Carle (with Pronger)
O'Donnell
Carle (without Pronger)

Last year in the playoffs:
Pronger
Timonen
Coburn
Carle
---nobody---

Last season:
Pronger
Timonen
Carle (with Pronger all season)
Coburn (2nd half of the season)
Coburn (1st half of the season)/Meszaros (TB)
O'Donnell (LA)
I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions, Chris.

Will you still be beating the drum for Coburn to be a top pairing dman 3 years from now? I have had man crushes in the past, too, but at some point you just have to stop being mezmerized by their physical skills and just recognize that they don't have the mental competency to put them to full use.

Old
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions, Chris.

Will you still be beating the drum for Coburn to be a top pairing dman 3 years from now? I have had man crushes in the past, too, but at some point you just have to stop being mezmerized by their physical skills and just recognize that they don't have the mental competency to put them to full use.
Are you claiming that Coburn hasn't been very good basically all year? I think he's right there with Mesz after Kimmo and Pronger.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

What makes Coburn valuable is that he is a horse that can log big minutes...those are not easy players to find on the backend. He's important to the defence core ...last year was another matter b/c of his boneheadedness which he seems to have tempered....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Are you claiming that Coburn hasn't been very good basically all year? I think he's right there with Mesz after Kimmo and Pronger.
That is a downright insult to the play Mesz has put up this season.

Old
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
That is a downright insult to the play Mesz has put up this season.
Meszaros has put up spectacular play against lesser competition...

But you put him over Pronger and Timonen...

I really don't know what you're thinking.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I think Meszaors has definitely moved into the number 3 spot behind Kimmo and Pronger. His physical play and all around defense has been stellar. Coburn has certainly continued his play from last years playoffs. I'd still like to see him play more physical but he seems to play well enough with out doing that. Carle has been a bit of a letdown comapred to last year. He's been good but not what I expected. O'Donnell has clearly been our sixth guy but he has been perfect at it.

As of right now i see the depth chart so far this season as follows

Pronger
Timonen
Meszaros
Coburn
Carle
O'Donnell

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Meszaros has put up spectacular play against lesser competition...

But you put him over Pronger and Timonen...

I really don't know what you're thinking.
I love Mes.....but I have to agree. Any D ranking starts with Pronger, TImonen. After that becomes a question.....I would put Mes at 3 but I can see the arguments for O'D, Coburn and Carle.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
phillyfanatic

ANyone else notice that we are now getting screwed out of LTIR releif with LEighton in the minors. Really sucks that they couldn't make the 3 goalie system work. The dollars added to our upper limit were really helping, now all our LTIR dollars are just going as regular salary. That sucks

Old
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
ANyone else notice that we are now getting screwed out of LTIR releif with LEighton in the minors. Really sucks that they couldn't make the 3 goalie system work. The dollars added to our upper limit were really helping, now all our LTIR dollars are just going as regular salary. That sucks
Do you mean that we just aren't utilizing LTIR and are actually, truly under the cap? If so, that's good. LTIR really isn't a good thing. By truly being under the cap, it should allow us to add a prorated contract later in the year.

Old
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Do you mean that we just aren't utilizing LTIR and are actually, truly under the cap? If so, that's good. LTIR really isn't a good thing. By truly being under the cap, it should allow us to add a prorated contract later in the year.
LTIR only adds to the upper limit a team can spend to if the team is spending to the cap. So, before Leighton went to the minors we were increasing our final upper limit due to replacements for Walker and Laps LTIR. Now that we are under the cap those players salaries are no longer increasing our upper limit rather they are chewing away from our available of $413,417. Once we reach the upper limit then LTIR tolerance begins to add again. Let me know if this doesn't make sense

Old
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
LTIR only adds to the upper limit a team can spend to if the team is spending to the cap. So, before Leighton went to the minors we were increasing our final upper limit due to replacements for Walker and Laps LTIR. Now that we are under the cap those players salaries are no longer increasing our upper limit rather they are chewing away from our available of $413,417. Once we reach the upper limit then LTIR tolerance begins to add again. Let me know if this doesn't make sense
I think I follow but...technically it doesn't increase our upper limit, but merely allow us to exceed it. And if we ARE exceeding it, we aren't "banking" cap space. So, correct me if I'm wrong, we no longer need to utilize the LTIR exception of exceeding the upper limit, because we are below the upper limit. And because we are below it, we are "banking" cap space.

So for example (numbers not entirely accurate, just an example):

Leighton makes 1.55
Upper limit - 59.4

With Leighton we are at 60.2 meaning we are utilizing 800k of LTIR because we are exceeding the Upper Limit.

Without Leighton we are now at 58.65. meaning we are 0.75 BELOW the upper limit. So we aren't actually using any of the LTIR allowance, but we are now banking on the 0.75 below the upper limit.

To take the example further. If the season was 100 days long. The daily value would be $7500 we AREN'T using every single day (by being under the Upper Limit). Meaning we "bank" it.

Old
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

All the LTI is still available if needed... Leighton is an addition by subtraction where he was stealing practice time and potentially minutes on ice from the two other goalies... Yes, they could carry dead weight simply because it is available... but as I see it it is merely a reapportionment of dollars... The LTI is still there if and when when needed, but cannot be banked for future use.

Homer made a decision for the team that was hard on one player... but easier for two players as well as the team on the whole... and they are in a better Cap situation than they were with Leighton on the roster. They removed around $1.5M in real Cap salary and still have exception Cap room, and can bank Cap... I don't understand your concern.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 01-05-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote