HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Guardian Project

Old
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Guardian Project

So, unless Columbus comes back from a 55-45 hole, the Flyers "guardian" will come out tomorrow. How embarrassing is this going to be?

So far:

Penguin:

King:

Hurricane:

Blackhawk:

Sabre:

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
thats is a disgrace ...wow

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
SteveH

vCash: 500
What, how, why.... just, wow.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
The comic book nerd in me likes it. . . not going to lie. I know it is childish and a huge shot in the dark, but it is an interesting way to get younger kids into hockey and perhaps a few comic geeks into the sport.

It isn't the worst cross-promotional marketing I've ever seen. It is different and could turn out to be pretty neat.

It sure as **** beats out any of those god awful theme nights when teams release special uniforms

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:55 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
I'm a fan of hockey and of comics. I find this stupid (in a hilarious way, but still stupid) from both perspectives. Also, I can't imagine liking this much as a kid either.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
chaosof99*

As my avatar indicates, I know my comic books (though these days I'm usually more of a manga guy). However, this idea is pretty ridiculous as it turns out. It was interesting in the beginning where it had novelty and mystique (not the X-Men character) behind them, but unfortunately as it turns out it is another lame-ass product with Stan Lee's name on it just to try and make it sell. Similarly we've seen this happen already with stuff like "Who wants to be a Superhero" or "Heroman" and Lee's name takes an unfortunate but definitely not undeserving hit from it. He probably should just stay retired. It's not like he doesn't have enough money.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(breathe)

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahhaahaaaaa aa

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I think this is kinda goofy. I'd agree in that I've seen worse cross-marketing ideas, but so far I wouldn't say it looks too promising. Maybe if they did something a little more than just a still pic and rotating camera on those character previews I'd be a bit more intrigued. Maybe show a promo of the Capital Superhero battling against the Penguin superhero and show it during the intermission of the WC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
As my avatar indicates, I know my comic books (though these days I'm usually more of a manga guy). However, this idea is pretty ridiculous as it turns out. It was interesting in the beginning where it had novelty and mystique (not the X-Men character) behind them, but unfortunately as it turns out it is another lame-ass product with Stan Lee's name on it just to try and make it sell. Similarly we've seen this happen already with stuff like "Who wants to be a Superhero" or "Heroman" and Lee's name takes an unfortunate but definitely not undeserving hit from it. He probably should just stay retired. It's not like he doesn't have enough money.
Serious question, would you say that Stan Lee is turning into the Al Davis of comics as in he's just doing all sorts of wacky things in an industry he dominated? You would probably know more than I.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Is the evil their talking about in the Sabres one and Hawks one the Flyers? lol...

Gotta say though...kinda corny...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I think this is kinda goofy. I'd agree in that I've seen worse cross-marketing ideas, but so far I wouldn't say it looks too promising. Maybe if they did something a little more than just a still pic and rotating camera on those character previews I'd be a bit more intrigued. Maybe show a promo of the Capital Superhero battling against the Penguin superhero and show it during the intermission of the WC.
Yeah, I'd definitely say that makes it look bad. A line going to a dot on the character say environmental empathy just seems kind of bad. Though if the character came out and said I care about saving the environment (though that is not a bad thing) I'd still probably think it was bad anyways.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely say that makes it look bad. A line going to a dot on the character say environmental empathy just seems kind of bad. Though if the character came out and said I care about saving the environment (though that is not a bad thing) I'd still probably think it was bad anyways.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
agrudez*

If this endeavor cared at all about being creative it would have split the teams into 15 heroes and 15 villains.

Cities like Philly, Detroit and Toronto would embrace being villains, imo.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If this endeavor cared at all about being creative it would have split the teams into 15 heroes and 15 villains.

Cities like Philly, Detroit and Toronto would embrace being villains, imo.
The sad thing is, this could have been really cool. Or, if that is too strong a term, at least non-embarrassing and an effective advertising campaign.

But Stan Lee (who I doubt drew a single line himself) just pawned this off on a few interns and called it a day.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
medicman

Sabres one is kind of cool. Flyers will probably come out as a goofy Mercury with a winged helm and boots...

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

i hope it's called the Phucking Flyer

Old
01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Subject Orange

Probably call it "The Bully"....and it will be some extravagant reimagining of the Juggernaut or The Hulk.

Although if they did the Hulk...I guess it would sort of be ....a compliment? Isn't The Hulk one of Stan Lees favorite characters?

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
UseYourAllusion

speechless

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post
Probably call it "The Bully"....and it will be some extravagant reimagining of the Juggernaut or The Hulk.

Although if they did the Hulk...I guess it would sort of be ....a compliment? Isn't The Hulk one of Stan Lees favorite characters?
I would assume all of his characters are his favourite...lol

I doubt he would create someone then say "I hate him"

Old
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
WTF? I like comic books as much as the next guy, but I just don't understand this. Are they going to like have a battle at the all star game or something?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post

Add a few Pronger-esque features to the face and slap some skates on him. He would fit the general attitude toward the Flyers.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Sadly, the Flyers Gorilla drawing is going to be better than anything achieved through this ********.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

let's turn this into a "who's your favorite x-men?" thread.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
chaosof99*

Does Deadpool count as an X-Man? I guess not since his powers are of artificial origin.

I've never been a big X-Men kind of guy. I'm more of a fan of comics featuring the exploits of individual characters rather than superhero teams. I'm currently reading Ultimate X-Men though. Unfortunately they screwed up Deadpool pretty badly in the Ultimate universe. If I had to choose I'd probably pick Rogue or Beast.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Does Deadpool count as an X-Man? I guess not since his powers are of artificial origin.

I've never been a big X-Men kind of guy. I'm more of a fan of comics featuring the exploits of individual characters rather than superhero teams. I'm currently reading Ultimate X-Men though. Unfortunately they screwed up Deadpool pretty badly in the Ultimate universe. If I had to choose I'd probably pick Rogue or Beast.
deadpool does have a few mutant abilities like regenerative healing powers, as well as superhuman strength. i would still considers them to be mutant abilities, even though they were artifucially generated by the weapon X program.
i would count him as a part of the x-men lable, because he was at times a key factor in the x-men universe. deadpool also trained with the x-men for a brief time in the x-men timeline, but was never really stayed too long because of his bad-guy anti-hero persona.
as far as comics go, x-men has always been my go-to. i was never really into any other sort of "team" format. I was always a big fan of iron man, but i was never too big into the avengers. after x-men and iron man, i was always really into batman and the green lantern.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Flyskippy

Who are they guarding us from? Where are the villains, "Limited Cap Space," "The Commissioner," "The League Disciplinarian," "Dave Jackson," and "The Near-Sighted GM"?

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote