HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 World Junior Tournament Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
I think the game turned around when they put Bobkov in. He really made some good saves and didn't let out many rebounds if any.

Old
BigBrown
They did it again!

Wow!! Unbelievable. Congrats Russia!

Old
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Wow so embarrassing lol, at least Brayden Schenn is a boss

Old
01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
No surprise that Schenn was one of the top three Canadian players.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Johnny Utah

Great job Schenn and Kitsyn.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Whiskeypete

one of the biggest meltdowns ive ever seen. my guess is there will be alot of heavy drinking north of the border tonight.

schenn and kitsyn looked good all tourney. cant wait to see schenn in LA after seeing this tourney. kitsyn still looked kind of rough at times, but looks as though there is very good upside for him. a great 6th rounder at this point. as for schenn, i think everyone is highly jealous of LA at this point

Old
01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Feels good man. Now off to bed.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Feels good man. Now off to bed.
It felt good beating you guys 2 nights ago .. And winning 5 straight championships.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:21 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Ha!

Old
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Tadite

Ok... so now that the bull **** is over what have we learned about prospects? How badly is Forbort injured? Should we even have drafted him instead of the you know who?

Old
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

MVP Schenn

Top Forward Schenn

Schenn was coffin nails hard when it came down to it scoring huge goals playing with way less talented line mates and coming up big when called upon.

He was injured early on in the third (after getting roughed up in towards the end of the 2nd) and still came out and played his guts out. Canada may have had an epic meltdown but Schenn wasn't part of it and in fact if he was healthy I wonder how it would have turned out.

Schenn ending up with 18 points tying Dale McCourt's 1977 scoring record and for those of you who ask "who's Dale McCourt?" go look him up, its worth while.

Kitsyn led the charge to start the comeback and had a big impact in frustrating the Canadians.

Kitsyn's 9 points put him in among the many tied for 5th (I believe) overall in scoring but in my opinion he was more impressive as a force out there by stirring things up and causing trouble for his opponents goalies. Not in the way that a Sean Avery or even a Phil Esposito did but more in the way that Luc used to (though with nowhere near the same skills) by simply knowing when to step in and create trouble and when to help move the play along. His timing is truly exceptional and as I have said before, he has the talent to make it to the NHL, the rest is up to him.

Forbort is said to have been injured prior to the tourney and I can say that as far as I know that is true but to what extent and the specific nature of the injury, well that ends up being a little bit iffy. I was told that it was his left hand/arm but have to wonder if it may not have also been a little more significant than some of us had first believed.

When he played he played well and if you consider his alleged injuries he even played very well. What I can say about his tourney from my point of view is that he plays allot smarter of a game then you would expect a huge player like him to play. His skating looked excellent at times and better than average at others.

He should make it back to the WJC's next year and I would expect big things from him if he does.

All in all we had an exceptional tourney.

1 Gold

1 Silver

1 Bronze

1 Tournament MVP

1 Tournament Best Forward

Last edited by etherialone: 01-05-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Ok... so now that the bull **** is over what have we learned about prospects? How badly is Forbort injured? Should we even have drafted him instead of the you know who?
If you are referring to Kuznetsov or Tarasenko, you know as well as I that 90% of NHL GMs won't risk a 1st on a Russian. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
nocturn

"Greatest collapse in hockey history!" - Gary Thorne, 01/05/2011

Lol.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:35 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I know this is going to come off as amazingly homerish but, Kitsyn, while not the best Russian, certainly seems to make his team better. Tarasenko had an amazing start of the tournament with Kitsyn on his line, then Kitsyn moves to Kuznetsovs line and suddenly Kuz is this incredible unstoppable force.

Kitsyn creates room like nobody's business. Love the guy.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
If you are referring to Kuznetsov or Tarasenko, you know as well as I that 90% of NHL GMs won't risk a 1st on a Russian. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm amazed we didn't already have a thread on it. Tarasenko had a whole bunch of hype at the draft....

Old
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I know this is going to come off as amazingly homerish but, Kitsyn, while not the best Russian, certainly seems to make his team better. Tarasenko had an amazing start of the tournament with Kitsyn on his line, then Kitsyn moves to Kuznetsovs line and suddenly Kuz is this incredible unstoppable force.

Perfectly said.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I wonder how soon after returning to Brandon, Schenn will be traded?

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 01-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Fangio

Congrats to Kitsyn. He made a name for himself in this tournament. Once Russia got their first goal momentum shifted drastically.

Didn't like Canada's coaching in the third. Cameron didn't call a timeout either. Everything stopped..forecheck was non-existent after 40mins, no chipping pucks deep, no cycle game. Russia did a great job spreading out the ice, especially the Canadian defenders, and Mark Visentin couldn't make the big save when it mattered. Hard to believe Canada lost the gold two years in a row.

Just another memorable WJC..

Old
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post

Really good point, something happened to kuznetsov from the 3rd period of the Finland game on, cause he looked like a dog before that, and a purebreed afterward.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Caught bits of the game. I heard Schenn got hurt, is it true? And did they honestly announce Luke Schenn for MVP?

Old
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Was awesome to watch. Nothing like seeing an arena full of Canadian hockey fans crushed like they were tonight.

I can only imagine the trash talk some of the younger, "thirstier" Canadian men were spouting before that 3rd period.

Schenn was definitely the best player out there for Canada while Kitsyn was noticeable as one of the top 3 forwards for Russia.

Still don't think it was as crushing as last year's loss but, then again, I haven't visited the WJC forum yet!!

Old
01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I can understand some of the Canada bashing after their embarrassing anti U.S. BS last year (more so than others) but I am a little disappointed that U.S. fans aren't making the more painful and cutting way of rubbing it in by taking the high road as opposed to the constant bashing comments.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from those that would act any differently regardless of which country won but it is sort of disappointing to me. I mean go ahead and cheer or boo or whatever else you have to do and good for you, honestly.

I would wait until I finished higher than the Canadian team again before I went too far with it if it were me.

Trust me when I tell you that the U.S. winning last years tourney was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more of a rubbing than any mere board bashing that anyone could ever do.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Sybil227

According to TSN:
Quote:
It was disclosed after the game that Schenn played despite suffering a separated shoulder in Sunday's quarter-final win over Switzerland.
http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=348167

Old
01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Man, the kid is a beast. Lombardi is probably smiling right now. His favorite kind of player, huh?

I'm really happy for all of our kids, and the Canada meltdown was a collapse, but major props to the Russians for fighting back again.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:50 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can understand some of the Canada bashing after their embarrassing anti U.S. BS last year (more so than others) but I am a little disappointed that U.S. fans aren't making the more painful and cutting way of rubbing it in by taking the high road as opposed to the constant bashing comments.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from those that would act any differently regardless of which country won but it is sort of disappointing to me. I mean go ahead and cheer or boo or whatever else you have to do and good for you, honestly.

I would wait until I finished higher than the Canadian team again before I went too far with it if it were me.

Trust me when I tell you that the U.S. winning last years tourney was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more of a rubbing than any mere board bashing that anyone could ever do.
Hence my singling out of the cocky, drunk jerkwads who were probably talking all kinds of trash during the first 60 minutes.

Look...I like Canada and all of her children but, to put it in NHL terms, I'm not going to refrain from sticking it to a Ducks fan after a tough loss just because said loss was a crushing one.

Closed Thread