HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We may not have the best package but our offer could be very reasonable. 3 teams may offer more or have a lot of interest. SJ, Hawks and Caps. Florida would not deal with Caps and Tomas may not want to play in WC.

If we do nto win SC, who gives a **** about 1st round pick? Got to win something while Prongs and Timonen still got it.
I believe that may very well be the reason people would care about a 1st round pick.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We need to start using our 1sts for our own long-term benefit... the cupboard is bare.

And you're offering quantity over quality there. I would wager someone will come in with a bit more top-heavy offer for Vokoun come deadline time.
Not to mention that most of the stuff he listed is prospects. So we'd have to find a way to send a cap hit equivalent to Vokoun's back to Florida...and his cap hit is fairly large.

Plus Vokoun doesn't have any long-term future here.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We may not have the best package but our offer could be very reasonable. 3 teams may offer more or have a lot of interest. SJ, Hawks and Caps. Florida would not deal with Caps and Tomas may not want to play in WC.

If we do nto win SC, who gives a **** about 1st round pick? Got to win something while Prongs and Timonen still got it.
You say this as if deadline acquisitions equate to Cups being a sure thing. The reality is that your chances of winning a Cup are significantly bigger in a multiple season approach than placing your eggs in any one season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here's another attempt at trying to decipher the salary cap implications:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/...8886294155.txt
Ok cool. That's basically what I was trying to say in my last post.

So I think I was right?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Im down with keeping our firsts for a few years now

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Vokoun is awesome but Florida is going to want something very valuable in return. They'll want cheap youth with a good ceiling.

Maybe they'll bite for one of our goalie prospects not named Bob but they'll want a young roster player as well. Especially since they'll have to take some salary back in return in order to get Vokoun here under the cap.

Once again, another situation that is needlessly complicated by Homer's horrible handling of the salary cap.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think people are forgetting that florida traded luongo for bertuzzi.

Yes. That deal.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Yes. That deal.
Different GM. Tallon is a building GM

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Yes. That deal.
I think you're forgetting that the GM/Coach that did that are no longer employed by the Florida Panthers.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Stop ruining my dreams!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:06 AM
BringBackStevens

I would probably pull the trigger on any possible combination of deals that would get Vokoun here without sending our 1st or JVR. Not sure if its possible. It will depend on the bid probably... What other teams might be in on a goalie at the deadline?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
bennysflyers16

I would do Coburn and Bob for Vokoun !
I would try Carle ,Boosh, Prospect, but adding Vokoun with subtracting Coburn makes us a lot more dangerous imo. Trade for another depth Dman and we are good to go.

Pronger-Carle
Mezz-Kimmo
Odon- Trade

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I would probably pull the trigger on any possible combination of deals that would get Vokoun here without sending our 1st or JVR. Not sure if its possible. It will depend on the bid probably... What other teams might be in on a goalie at the deadline?
I am not sure. Thankfully the goalie market is still depressed though, as always, that could change in a heartbeat.

Even Vokoun won't be looking at huge money in the offseason since the days of the high paid goalie are over.

In addition, there is a very real possibility of Marty B on the block at the trade deadline. Now, I'd take Vokoun over Brodeur every single day but it will still keep Vokoun's value down having that bit of competition.

However, does anyone else get the sense that Vokoun is completely happy about being an anonymous millionaire without much expectation on his shoulders?

Old
01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
I could see some odd bidders getting in on him potentially. Avs might consider him given that Anderson has struggled this year... they have a ton of cap space to burn.

Lightning could still get in on that if the price isn't too high.

SJ doesn't have a lot of cap space, but they have to at least think about it... right?

Then you could have someone goofy get in there in an effort to re-sign him. His birthday is July 2nd, and he'll be 34 still. That's a BIG deal.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I am not sure. Thankfully the goalie market is still depressed though, as always, that could change in a heartbeat.

Even Vokoun won't be looking at huge money in the offseason since the days of the high paid goalie are over.

In addition, there is a very real possibility of Marty B on the block at the trade deadline. Now, I'd take Vokoun over Brodeur every single day but it will still keep Vokoun's value down having that bit of competition.

However, does anyone else get the sense that Vokoun is completely happy about being an anonymous millionaire without much expectation on his shoulders?
IDK, wasn't there word that he was excited about the idea of coming here last year? Unless you're a dick, there are a lot of reasons to avoid public statements about being traded and whatnot if it isn't going to happen (ref: Halladay, Roy).

Last edited by Jester: 01-06-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM
jb**

Go for kipper, depending on the cost. How has the bulin wall looked this year?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Go for kipper, depending on the cost. How has the bulin wall looked this year?
Sober?

Old
01-06-2011, 09:26 AM
BringBackStevens

The only way the Flyers have a shot at Vokoun is if not a ton of bidders get into the game and Florida is willing to get something rather than nothing.

Trading Carle or Coburn is possible but I would push to get a competent guy back if that was the case. I like Bart as a 7 but the D looks a lot different if one of those two guys are gone

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I could see some odd bidders getting in on him potentially. Avs might consider him given that Anderson has struggled this year... they have a ton of cap space to burn.

Lightning could still get in on that if the price isn't too high.

SJ doesn't have a lot of cap space, but they have to at least think about it... right?

Then you could have someone goofy get in there in an effort to re-sign him. His birthday is July 2nd, and he'll be 34 still. That's a BIG deal.
Quote:
IDK, wasn't their word that he was excited about the idea of coming here last year? Unless you're a dick, there are a lot of reasons to avoid public statements about being traded and whatnot if it isn't going to happen (ref: Halladay, Roy).
His being 34 could easily be exploited. 3-3.5M average cap hit, heavily front loaded over 6 years?

I wasn't trying to say anything negative about Vokoun. His stats speak for him. No matter how crappy the team he comes out to play each and every game. He isn't moody.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
jb**

Quote:
Sober?
he would fit right in with the old city crew.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
The only way the Flyers have a shot at Vokoun is if not a ton of bidders get into the game and Florida is willing to get something rather than nothing.

Trading Carle or Coburn is possible but I would push to get a competent guy back if that was the case. I like Bart as a 7 but the D looks a lot different if one of those two guys are gone
It does, but this is where them stashing Bart as the 7th is a HUGE drawback. You can't shelf young players like that and expect them to improve into reliable players. Just not going to happen. Whereas if they'd kept a third pairing spot open for him, they could have evaluated him through the first half of the year and maybe been in a spot to run with him... but right now, that's tough.

I just don't see us getting Vokoun... for a few reasons, not the least of which is that even if it costs us this year, I think it's important for them to get Bob reps.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
His being 34 could easily be exploited. 3-3.5M average cap hit, heavily front loaded over 6 years?

I wasn't trying to say anything negative about Vokoun. His stats speak for him. No matter how crappy the team he comes out to play each and every game. He isn't moody.
Right, but I do think (especially with the goalie position) you have to worry about whether a guy really wants it. Coming to Philly (or another bigger market team) you gotta be ready for the attention and pressure. Winning some games and losing in the first round (Nashville) doesn't exactly go over well here...

Old
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
A trade for Vokoun or a high-priced goalie, the Flyers would probably make the other team take Bartulis and would just try to claim someone off waivers or something if their number is low enough.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:35 AM
jb**

Quote:
It does, but this is where them stashing Bart as the 7th is a HUGE drawback. You can't shelf young players like that and expect them to improve into reliable players. Just not going to happen. Whereas if they'd kept a third pairing spot open for him, they could have evaluated him through the first half of the year and maybe been in a spot to run with him... but right now, that's tough.

I just don't see us getting Vokoun... for a few reasons, not the least of which is that even if it costs us this year, I think it's important for them to get Bob reps.
tyring to win a cup is more important. He has plenty of time to get reps. I think florida will hold onto him and have arepeat jaybo situation. That imo would be priceless. I dont think flrofida will get the offers they thinkg they will get and end up not making a trade. The teasm that need a goalie are up against the cap,s alary needs to go their way and they may be reluctant to take it on. If the flyers make no move for a goalie and they dont win the cup this year, i really hope it is because of the goaltenders failing being the main reaason.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
A trade for Vokoun or a high-priced goalie, the Flyers would probably make the other team take Bartulis and would just try to claim someone off waivers or something if their number is low enough.
unless the other team wants him your better off keeping him and putting him on waivers then. He clears you get to keep him, he doesnt you lose his salary either way.