HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus: Mike Commodore

Old
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Gusher

vCash: 500
Columbus: Mike Commodore

While his contract is suspect ($3.75 Million Cap Hit for 2 more Seasons after this) I think the Oilers would put in a claim on re-entry Waivers. Does Commodore get to re-entry? Should the Oilers put in a claim? Thoughts?

Commodore would be a big upgrade on Strudwick and probably Vandermeer too. He's a local guy too. Great guy in the room as well.

EDIT - Commodore demanded a trade since he wasn't getting the minutes. Obviously this was a way for Columbus to try and help that demand.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I doubt he gets assigned to the minors, so I don't see re-entry as an option if he isn't claimed on this pass through waivers.

The one thing I'd hope to see the Oilers do is offer up Souray for him if he clears waivers tomorrow morning. It's no different for the Jackets than assigning Commodore to the AHL, and they get a player next season who'll help them out on D and sees his contract end a year earlier.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Mizral

Oilers should stay away from Commodore. He's not terrible but he's quite slow and teams in the West seem to burn him constantly. He has no answer for guys who beat him on the outside. This is one of those guys who probably should go out East and play with another guy who can skate to cover his lack of skating.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
zeus3007*

The Oilers should certainly not put in a claim. Where are our holes on defense? Not on the bottom pair, where Commodore should be, on the top pair. Ideally our defense would look like this

Whitney-_______
Gilbert-Peckham
Smid-Foster (until next year, when Petry takes the spot).

Commodore does nothing to help this out. Nothing at all. He is a slower Vandermeer.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I doubt he gets assigned to the minors, so I don't see re-entry as an option if he isn't claimed on this pass through waivers.

The one thing I'd hope to see the Oilers do is offer up Souray for him if he clears waivers tomorrow morning. It's no different for the Jackets than assigning Commodore to the AHL, and they get a player next season who'll help them out on D and sees his contract end a year earlier.
Souray would have to clear re-entry Waivers for any trade to happen. Someone might pluck him off re-entry and stick the Oilers with half the price tag. Oilers don't want that.

Old
Seedling
Fan level 7?

I'd rather have Staios back. Seriously, and Staios is terrible.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

If you like watching a player with Strudwick's speed and Foster's puck handling in his own zone you're going to love having Commodore on the blueline

Was have enough bad blueliners, we don't need a bad, badly overpaid blueliner.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Master Lok

Agreed with Mizral. If Commodore was on a one-year contract, then he might be a possible solution, but certainly not at two more years. IIRC, at least Vandermeer and Strudwick's contracts both expire this year.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:29 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Souray would have to clear re-entry Waivers for any trade to happen. Someone might pluck him off re-entry and stick the Oilers with half the price tag. Oilers don't want that.
They wouldn't have to recall him to trade him. He'd just have to clear waivers if they wanted him to play this year. The only time a player would have to go through waivers before the team could trade him is if he was aquired through waivers in the first place. At least that's how I understand it.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Of the guys who get placed on waivers, I couldnt see this one being too bad for a claim.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Gusher

Quote:
They wouldn't have to recall him to trade him. He'd just have to clear waivers if they wanted him to play this year. The only time a player would have to go through waivers before the team could trade him is if he was aquired through waivers in the first place. At least that's how I understand it.
He would have to clear re-entry for a trade. He's already on loan to another AHL club so that limits any option of a swap at the AHL level.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Njoy Oilers

Oilers will continue using their farm hands the rest of the years simply because it alows them to see what they have, and they are/were prepared to lose, Renny was the only one who didn't get the memo.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Valabik on re-entry again.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Harrison

No thanks on Commodore.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
misfit

Quote:
He would have to clear re-entry for a trade. He's already on loan to another AHL club so that limits any option of a swap at the AHL level.
I couldn't find anything in article 13 of the CBA that would lead me to believe that's the case. I may have missed the applicable section, but from what I can tell, there's nothing that says you have to recall a player in order to trade his rights.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Gusher

Quote:
I couldn't find anything in article 13 of the CBA that would lead me to believe that's the case. I may have missed the applicable section, but from what I can tell, there's nothing that says you have to recall a player in order to trade his rights.
When they are signed to an NHL contract they have to clear any sort of waivers to have their rights dealt. Had Souray been on a 2-way deal you could trade him to an NHL or AHL team. But, he's on a 1-way. Therefor, he would have to clear re-entry waivers in order to be traded to another team.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
pass

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Perfect_Drug

Say what you want about Lowe n Company, but I have yet to be disappointed with the D moves they've made thus far.

The Pronger and Souray fiasco were not direct problems in the procurement and development/identifying of talent... they were both disgruntled players demanding trades to the media.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
misfit

Quote:
When they are signed to an NHL contract they have to clear any sort of waivers to have their rights dealt. Had Souray been on a 2-way deal you could trade him to an NHL or AHL team. But, he's on a 1-way. Therefor, he would have to clear re-entry waivers in order to be traded to another team.
I'm not calling you a liar, but you're going to have to show me something more official to support that for me to believe that to be the case, because this is the closest thing I can find in regards to waivers being needed in trading a player:

13.23 <snip> For the balance of the Playing Season, any suck Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I couldn't copy and paste, so I only typed out the end bit.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I doubt it happens and with two more seasons left after this one. I would not want it (maybe if it was only one more season).

But I am sure there would be a way around that if true. Such as say a 6th rounder for Commodore. Then the Oil "lend" Souray to the Jackets farm team for the remainder of this season. Jackets then send a 4th rounder or something for Souray's rights in the Summer.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
I'm not calling you a liar, but you're going to have to show me something more official to support that for me to believe that to be the case, because this is the closest thing I can find in regards to waivers being needed in trading a player:

13.23 <snip> For the balance of the Playing Season, any suck Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I couldn't copy and paste, so I only typed out the end bit.
I laughed quite heartily.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote