HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Franklin Field lacks the amenities that would make it a viable option.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I have a strong feeling NYC will be the next eastern conference city to host one. Possibly Rags - Devils, Islanders, Flyers.
It won't be at Yankee Stadium because they hold a NCAA bowl game. While watching some of the buildup they mentioned that Yankee Stadium was a desired site, but management there basically said that unless the NHL would consider changing the date that they would not be interested because of the Pinstripe Bowl.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Absolutely the case.

PPL Park in Chester would be an awesome venue for an outdoor game though.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Absolutely the case.

PPL Park in Chester would be an awesome venue for an outdoor game though.
Too small for the NHL, though.

They also need to work out the road access down there soon... but that's another matter.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Too small for the NHL, though.

They also need to work out the road access down there soon... but that's another matter.
Good point about the capacity. I forgot it only holds about 18500, although my understanding is that they do have plans to increase capacity.

In terms of the road access, for 18500 they do a very good job with buses, but things should be better this year with more parking lots open near the stadium.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Good point about the capacity. I forgot it only holds about 18500, although my understanding is that they do have plans to increase capacity.

In terms of the road access, for 18500 they do a very good job with buses, but things should be better this year with more parking lots open near the stadium.
Well, there's supposedly an offshoot ramp that's going to get built that will get you directly to the lots without having to take the scenic route. Definitely a nice venue, though. Went and saw the US-Colombia game down there a couple months back.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Well, there's supposedly an offshoot ramp that's going to get built that will get you directly to the lots without having to take the scenic route. Definitely a nice venue, though. Went and saw the US-Colombia game down there a couple months back.
Honestly I never took the scenic route, I just parked in that lot right off of I95 and took the bus to and from the game.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
BernieParent

I like the idea of the away team being LA, San Jose or, if Stamkos keeps climbing in stature, TBay. NY - LA would be an interesting pairing.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
mm6492

Quote:
The ramp is being built as wek speak (and has been for awhile now).

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
joc111

Quote:
What did Wrigley have that Franklin Field doesn't?

joc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by joc111 View Post
A hundred years as one of the most famous baseball stadiums?

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
joc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
A hundred years as one of the most famous baseball stadiums?
That's not an "amenity". Besides, Franklin Field is world-famous in its own right... Penn Relays, anyone?

Old
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
That's not an "amenity". Besides, Franklin Field is world-famous in its own right... Penn Relays, anyone?
Please do not try to compare Wrigley Field to Franklin Field on a national scale.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Look, I'm a Penn Alum... have you been to Franklin Field? It's old and clearly so. It's remarkable they have electricity in the concession stands. I love the old building, but if you're going to be asking folks to drop serious coin on an event like the Winter Classic, you're not setting it up in Franklin Field.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Look, I'm a Penn Alum... have you been to Franklin Field? It's old and clearly so. It's remarkable they have electricity in the concession stands. I love the old building, but if you're going to be asking folks to drop serious coin on an event like the Winter Classic, you're not setting it up in Franklin Field.
Franklin Field? Would the kids' rink be? Across the train tracks where the field events are held?
If they use the same media closet they use for the Penn Relays, the event will only be covered by NBC and the Philly newspapers. There won't be room for anyone else.
(I got a million on 'em, and I LOVE the Relays)
I must admit ... I'd kill to see that Jamaican crowd whooping it up at a hockey game.

Did anyone else see on NHL Live today when Deb Placey got a text from her husband (an exec. with ABC/ESPN) in which he said the Pinstripe Bowl could be played earlier in December to accommodate the Winter Classic?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Franklin Field? Would the kids' rink be? Across the train tracks where the field events are held?
If they use the same media closet they use for the Penn Relays, the event will only be covered by NBC and the Philly newspapers. There won't be room for anyone else.
(I got a million on 'em, and I LOVE the Relays)
I must admit ... I'd kill to see that Jamaican crowd whooping it up at a hockey game.
Put the kids on the Class of 1923 rink.

Quote:
Did anyone else see on NHL Live today when Deb Placey got a text from her husband (an exec. with ABC/ESPN) in which he said the Pinstripe Bowl could be played earlier in December to accommodate the Winter Classic?
Interesting, but I'm not banking on the NHL getting this right any time soon.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
joc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Please do not try to compare Wrigley Field to Franklin Field on a national scale.
I'm not; I was just pointing out its own merit. That said, its history relative to other venues is not an "amenity".

And yes, I have been to Franklin Field - many times. I think it's a grand arena that harkens back to days of yore. I've been to Wrigley as well; I believe they compare favorably in terms of physical park amenities.

Old
01-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Villedelphia*

I don't think any place with a track around the field should host the WC. the crowd is already far enough away from the ice.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
This article references some of the issues we discussed earlier in the thread including other events on 1-1-2012 and a possible move to night. As mentioned, Keith Jones said there were issues regarding the lights reflecting off the ice surface.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...aw_icy_stares/

Quote:
The NHL and NBC should take it as an encouraging sign that a hockey game delayed seven hours by rain ended up as the most-watched regular-season game in 36 years. But whether that is a harbinger of future ratings success is as cloudy as the Pittsburgh sky.

We’re referring to the Winter Classic, of course, which was postponed New Year’s Day from 1 to 8 p.m. because of rain in Pittsburgh, where the Penguins hosted the Washington Capitals.

The waterlogged surface at Heinz Field practically put a literal twist on the network’s desired “pond hockey’’ vibe, yet the 4.5 million viewers — most since 5.5 million watched the Rangers take on the Flyers in 1975 — were left with nothing but warm (and dry) sentiments.

The Winter Classic is just four years old, and yet the numbers — a 2.3 rating and 4 share this time, up from last year’s 2.1 and 4 for Flyers-Bruins at Fenway Park — confirm that it has become a New Year’s Day tradition.

There is no denying that NBC was helped by the time change. It also benefited from going up against a bowl game on ESPN that proved anticlimactic: Oklahoma’s 48-20 rout of Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.

Because the game fell on a Saturday, it was relatively simple to clear a prime-time window. Had it been a weeknight, the jurisdiction on bumping prime-time programming would have belonged to the entertainment side of NBC at least as much as the sports side. It’s fair to presume they’d rule in favor of, say, Tina Fey over Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

Whether the NHL and/or NBC will consider moving the Winter Classic to prime time remains to be seen. But it’s worth noting that there are more than a couple of obstructions en route to any permanent change.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote