HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pittsburgh @ Montreal 7:30PM EST RDS (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
This is going to be all about the 5v5 play. Both team's PK is amazing.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Seems odd everyone in Montreal wants to follow the Pittsburgh model. Yup, lets place last 4 straight years. Seeing so many Pens fans cheering here in Montreal is hilarious. They don't seem to recall any Pens history before Crosby.

Pens fans: ''hahah, how can you cheer for the Habs, they suck.''

Frustrating, yet hilarious.

Last years playoff win was so gratifying, seeing all those morons shut up and also seeing Crosby whine at the post game show like he was entitled to beat the Habs and move on.

Do I hate Pittsburgh? No. Do I think they are one lucky franchise in recent years? Yes. Do I think most of their fans are obnoxious and bandwagoners? Yes.

Seeing so many Pens fans on the main board bashing and making fun of other teams is fresh. Rewind to 2006 and see if any of those were actually hockey fans.
Well, as frustrated as you are, I am equally so by the constant knocks...so we can agree to both be frustrated over it.

I don't deal with the bandwagoners the way you do, I spend 11 months of the year in a place where team sports outside of college football may as well not exist and the only hockey fans are, like myself, transplants (Pittsburgh and Detroit the run-away favorites...our 'wide spread' fan bases owe a lot to the fact that both cities have had their population moving out consistently for eons now). In Montreal I doubt the transplant population represents too much of the fan base, though...

Every single team has annoying main board fans, and the number of them increases with how good a team is. They're mostly bandwagoners, but we're hardly the first team to have them, nor ar we the only team swamped by them. Any team with success has them, we're not far away from the main board getting major influxes of Tampa Bay and Los Angeles fans. Montreal is no different, but the culture of your city is just different than it is anywhere else. Canadiens hockey in Montreal makes Steelers football in Pittsburgh look almos tame in comparison, but still.

The Penguins have been, comfortably, the #2 team in Pittsburgh for a good while now, and even when the team was lousy and had one truly awful year at the games (constant relocation talks, every player of quality having to be sold off, and the worst arena in sports will do a number to ticket sales to anyone). I went to ~30 games that year and had season tickets the season coming out of the lockout...I would take most of those crowds over the ones that fill CONSOL Energy Center to capacity every night now...the Penguins fan base is one of the youngest in any sport, and were one of the most vocal ones in the sport...the Igloo got so loud at times it sounded like it was about to collapse into itself (surprised it didn't with the state it was in). Winning brings the casual fans out, the ones that had hit the snooze button for a few years. Now that the team is consistently winning the younger, die hard fans that have been raised more on Mario Lemieux than on Jerome Bettis, aren't able to get tickets as much of the lower bowl is taken up by corporate tickets...its not nearly as bad as Toronto, but its getting there.

Anyway, we've never had bad fan support. Since local television ratings started to be tracked the Penguins have never finished below third amongst American teams, including when we were finishing last. Any team that is facing such constant relocation talks is going to suffer at the gate, I think you guys are familiar with that with the Expos tugging at your hearts constantly. The Penguins came out of the whole ordeal very strong, with a new arena, and a bunch of shiny new toys who we are very lucky to get (we lost the Ovechkin lottery though being in last place all season...but Malkin is the crown jewel of consolation prizes and had we stayed at #1 to get Ovechkin then we wouldn't have landed Crosby, as we'd have lost one of our lottery balls...Sid would be a Thrasher instead...but we hardly were perfect in that span...I doubt most people would say Fleury was the best player in that absurd 2003 draft when seemingly everyone but the Rangers got a solid player, Ryan Whitney in 2002 was frustrating more than good, and Staal is great but probably not the 2nd best player from 2006). Those studs are a huge part of why we're having the success we're having, but shrewd contract negotiations, solid free agents, and quality drafting and development (Letang went 62nd overall in the Crosby draft for instance, our best 'line' this year has been Cooke-Letestu-Conner, which breaks down to a UFA, an undrafted collegiate player, and a career minor leaguer). We've had luck, and we're the first people to admit that...but that's not the entire picture.

Anyway, sorry to invade your thread with such a long post...I just have to defend my team at times

And a further to anyone wanting to follow our 'model'. Have your owner skip town, leaving the team in bankruptcy court and almost being moved off to Portland...be saved by your deity-level franchise player, be forced to set the team payroll at $22 million by bankruptcy court and getting nothing by selling your star players off because only one team had the money to pay the players at the time, and because of that the Rangers refusing to offer anything of value (they were so confident that they were the only team that could afford Jagr that their original offer for him was Jan Hlavac...not that the guys the Pens got from Washington ever did anything, but at least they had potential), failing to get the government to move forward on getting a new arena move forward, almost not survive a league lockout, Jim Balsillie momentarily buying the team, have the arena deal get put on life support, weekly visits to Kansas City...

The happiest day of my life was when the state announced the plan to finance CONSOL Energy Center. I don't wish those years of turmoil on anyone. Not even Flyers fans.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-06-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Well, as frustrated as you are, I am equally so by the constant knocks...so we can agree to both be frustrated over it.

I don't deal with the bandwagoners the way you do, I spend 11 months of the year in a place where team sports outside of college football may as well not exist and the only hockey fans are, like myself, transplants (Pittsburgh and Detroit the run-away favorites...our 'wide spread' fan bases owe a lot to the fact that both cities have had their population moving out consistently for eons now). In Montreal I doubt the transplant population represents too much of the fan base, though...

Every single team has annoying main board fans, and the number of them increases with how good a team is. They're mostly bandwagoners, but we're hardly the first team to have them, nor ar we the only team swamped by them. Any team with success has them, we're not far away from the main board getting major influxes of Tampa Bay and Los Angeles fans. Montreal is no different, but the culture of your city is just different than it is anywhere else. Canadiens hockey in Montreal makes Steelers football in Pittsburgh look almos tame in comparison, but still.

The Penguins have been, comfortably, the #2 team in Pittsburgh for a good while now, and even when the team was lousy and had one truly awful year at the games (constant relocation talks, every player of quality having to be sold off, and the worst arena in sports will do a number to ticket sales to anyone). I went to ~30 games that year and had season tickets the season coming out of the lockout...I would take most of those crowds over the ones that fill CONSOL Energy Center to capacity every night now...the Penguins fan base is one of the youngest in any sport, and were one of the most vocal ones in the sport...the Igloo got so loud at times it sounded like it was about to collapse into itself (surprised it didn't with the state it was in). Winning brings the casual fans out, the ones that had hit the snooze button for a few years. Now that the team is consistently winning the younger, die hard fans that have been raised more on Mario Lemieux than on Jerome Bettis, aren't able to get tickets as much of the lower bowl is taken up by corporate tickets...its not nearly as bad as Toronto, but its getting there.

Anyway, we've never had bad fan support. Since local television ratings started to be tracked the Penguins have never finished below third amongst American teams, including when we were finishing last. Any team that is facing such constant relocation talks is going to suffer at the gate, I think you guys are familiar with that with the Expos tugging at your hearts constantly. The Penguins came out of the whole ordeal very strong, with a new arena, and a bunch of shiny new toys who we are very lucky to get (we lost the Ovechkin lottery though being in last place all season...but Malkin is the crown jewel of consolation prizes and had we stayed at #1 to get Ovechkin then we wouldn't have landed Crosby, as we'd have lost one of our lottery balls...Sid would be a Thrasher instead...but we hardly were perfect in that span...I doubt most people would say Fleury was the best player in that absurd 2003 draft when seemingly everyone but the Rangers got a solid player, Ryan Whitney in 2002 was frustrating more than good, and Staal is great but probably not the 2nd best player from 2006). Those studs are a huge part of why we're having the success we're having, but shrewd contract negotiations, solid free agents, and quality drafting and development (Letang went 62nd overall in the Crosby draft for instance, our best 'line' this year has been Cooke-Letestu-Conner, which breaks down to a UFA, an undrafted collegiate player, and a career minor leaguer). We've had luck, and we're the first people to admit that...but that's not the entire picture.

Anyway, sorry to invade your thread with such a long post...I just have to defend my team at times
Why even justify rooting interests? I don't get how that applies to any on ice product, and the hue and cry of "You knew nothing before Crosby" - which is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Explain how the bankruptcy issues had literally zero to do with fan attendance and support/knowledge of fans, and it falls on deaf ears because it doesn't jive with their argument.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

No Markov, No Gorges, No Hamrlik

Still, gonna go with 4-3 Habs

AKost
Wisniewski
Desharnais
Pouliot

Old
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Capitano

I will be happy with a point tonight...

Old
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Please don't be like Tampa last night.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Why even justify rooting interests? I don't get how that applies to any on ice product, and the hue and cry of "You knew nothing before Crosby" - which is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Explain how the bankruptcy issues had literally zero to do with fan attendance and support/knowledge of fans, and it falls on deaf ears because it doesn't jive with their argument.
lol the Pens fans in Montreal that I know, they knew nothing before Crosby.

Also, we had worse with the Expos.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
lol the Pens fans in Montreal that I know, they knew nothing before Crosby.

Also, we had worse with the Expos.
Yet more generalization.

I can tell you living in this city, the Hab fans I know are the kind who believe they could have gotten Claude Giroux for Halak at the trade deadline last year.

So can I make the same assumptions about your fan base?

Old
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Yet more generalization.

I can tell you living in this city, the Hab fans I know are the kind who believe they could have gotten Claude Giroux for Halak at the trade deadline last year.

Yes.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Yet more generalization.

Yes, you can. A lot of Habs fans I know are morons and uneducated about the team.

When I heard some fans on TV said they will start cheer for the Blues after the Halak thread, I had a major facepalm.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

No Hamrlik tonight? Ouch.

Spacek is going to have to severely increase his game, and for the love of god if Martin even thinks about pairing Subban and Picard together again I'm going to throw things.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Habs GM Pierre Gauthier should talk soon, just before the game sometime concerning Josh Gorges's injury being more serious than expected, As well as the Habs need for a forward.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Yeah, he will at 5:30 EST.

He will make his mid-season report. I'm guessing it will be live on RIS.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Is the press conference going to be on RDS or RIS?

Old
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Fel 96
JFC

If "le 4 à 7" decided to cut their show, I think we should be fine.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
If "le 4 à 7" decided to cut their show, I think we should be fine.
I hate everyone on that show. I hope a missile hits that studio.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

And a further to anyone wanting to follow our 'model'. Have your owner skip town, leaving the team in bankruptcy court and almost being moved off to Portland...be saved by your deity-level franchise player, be forced to set the team payroll at $22 million by bankruptcy court and getting nothing by selling your star players off because only one team had the money to pay the players at the time, and because of that the Rangers refusing to offer anything of value (they were so confident that they were the only team that could afford Jagr that their original offer for him was Jan Hlavac...not that the guys the Pens got from Washington ever did anything, but at least they had potential), failing to get the government to move forward on getting a new arena move forward, almost not survive a league lockout, Jim Balsillie momentarily buying the team, have the arena deal get put on life support, weekly visits to Kansas City...

The happiest day of my life was when the state announced the plan to finance CONSOL Energy Center. I don't wish those years of turmoil on anyone. Not even Flyers fans.
Thanks for the post, interesting account of your experience. Also, screw the flyers!

Old
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Crosby out tonight with a lower body injury!

Old
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

renhockey

Breaking: Sidney Crosby out-upper body

:O

Old
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
I am not talking about Philly here. Pens had horrible management that led to their last place finishes in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 which led to Fleury, Staal, Malkin, Crosby and Staal.

They are the biggest bandwagon and unknowledgeable fan base around.
Am i not the only one who thinks this ? THANK YOU !

Old
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/23143529794506752

wow

EDIT: Cooke is out too.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Crosby and Cooke out for tonight.

Old
shamrun

Crosby injured could help us out.

hopefully that does not make malkin go super saiyan.

Old
Luuuuuuu

Pittsburgh may be all out of goals after they killed Tampa Bay the night before with 8 goals.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

No Crosby, no Cooke tonight!

Closed Thread