HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges DONE FOR THE YEAR!

Old
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
CrisisInMTL

vCash: 500
Is there even a point in PG making a reactionary trade after hearing this?

I view this as big a blow as losing Markov. I don't see this team making a deep playoff run with those two elements missing. Who is going to trade another Josh Gorges type to MTL without asking for a King's Ransom in return?

I'd rather see Gauthier sit tight give Weber and PK ample ice-time. Let's find out what these two can do, especially Weber. If they don't take this opportunity and run with it, PG can add finding capable replacements on the blueline to his to-do list in the off-season once Hamr comes off the books.

This season is now probably a wash in terms of Cup aspirations, so I hope PG uses this time to figure out what this team needs to make a cup run in 2012,`13 and beyond.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
We will always have our best players getting hurt as long as we're an easy team to push around. Not a shock that the scenario of last season has not only replayed itself, but gotten worse. Didn't see this news coming though, though Gorges was going to be back some time. Yeah I guess we'll be making a trade but this already bad D just got worse. Playoffs looking a distant possibility. It's 2009 all over again, minus the partying.
This is my first nominee for stupidest post of 2011. Gorges is among the league's hardest guys on his own body, he leaves everything out on the ice, blocks shots with his teeth if he has too. But sure, he's injured because Brian Gionta is little.

Note: I agree we're way too easy to push around and I hate it, hate a lot about JM's style of coaching. But this is the wrong time and place to be blaming that. Gorges didn't get caved into the boards or cheap-shotted by Milan Lucic.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Ginu

If we do make a trade, our D next year is going to be stacked. We'll go all out for Regehr now. Watch.

A top 7 of: Markov, Wiz, Gorges, Regehr, Subban, Weber and hopefully Emelin. Hamrlik is definitely gone next year if we make a move. Gill would be let go. Spacek would be bought out at two-thirds. That D core has it all.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
Is there even a point in PG making a reactionary trade after hearing this?

I view this as big a blow as losing Markov. I don't see this team making a deep playoff run with those two elements missing. Who is going to trade another Josh Gorges type to MTL without asking for a King's Ransom in return?

I'd rather see Gauthier sit tight give Weber and PK ample ice-time. Let's find out what these two can do, especially Weber. If they don't take this opportunity and run with it, PG can add finding capable replacements on the blueline to his to-do list in the off-season once Hamr comes off the books.

This season is now probably a wash in terms of Cup aspirations, so I hope PG uses this time to figure out what this team needs to make a cup run in 2012,`13 and beyond.
Basically, how many more Picks and Prospects can we afford to ship out in order for another band aid? Rather not. Too bad We picked Picard Over O'bryne.....

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

this is not good. Down two of our top dmen, and Hammer and Spacek are always battling nagging injuries it seems, plus Price has been overworked. Good thing Wiz has been good since joining, hopefully Subban will find last year's form and Spacek and Hammer stay healthy.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Basically, how many more Picks and Prospects can we afford to ship out in order for another band aid? Rather not. Too bad We picked Picard Over O'bryne.....
Did O'byrne showed something more than Picard in the training camp and until he was traded ? Too bad.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Gorges was too small and weak physically to play the kind of hockey he's asked to play. The more his career will advance, the more he'll have to deal with injuries.

People have to understand I have nothing against Gorges as an individual/personnally. The guy is just too weak to play the role he's put in.
No he's not. He's not a physical player and he's not playing a physical style of hockey. He's fearless and he most of the time, he's never injured. This time, a knee injury got him down. It's not because of the way he plays or anything like that. That type of injury can happen to anyone...a goon, a skilled player, a power forward, an offensive defenseman, and a two way defenseman. It doesn't mater. Georges is made of ruber, but a knee is different...

Too bad though. He's an important player for us. A leader, and good defenceman...but at least, Spacek is playing better (and he'll go back on his natural side), Wiz is great...so we'll see how the two kids will respond.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
this is not good. Down two of our top dmen, and Hammer and Spacek are always battling nagging injuries it seems, plus Price has been overworked. Good thing Wiz has been good since joining, hopefully Subban will find last year's form and Spacek and Hammer stay healthy.
It's not a matter of form, It's a matter of learning how to play defence at NHL level.

Old
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
No he's not. He's not a physical player and he's not playing a physical style of hockey. He's fearless and he most of the time, he's never injured. This time, a knee injury got him down. It's not because of the way he plays or anything like that. That type of injury can happen to anyone...a goon, a skilled player, a power forward, an offensive defenseman, and a two way defenseman. It doesn't mater. Georges is made of ruber, but a knee is different...

Too bad though. He's an important player for us. A leader, and good defenceman...but at least, Spacek is playing better (and he'll go back on his natural side), Wiz is great...so we'll see how the two kids will respond.
If you can't see how Gorges is too weak physically and too limited in his abilities to play against the other team's top players, than I have nothing more to tell you. Playing 23 minutes a game at the start of the season killed him. He's a 17 minutes d-man. Nothing more, nothing less. On some nights he MIGHT get barely 20 minutes, but not an average of 23 minutes for extended periods of time.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:00 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Did O'byrne showed something more than Picard in the training camp and until he was traded ? Too bad.
Hes showing he can play 20 mins in Colorado now.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That's why you don't base roster decisions on 2 months of hockey. O'byrne is bigger, more physical and better skater.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Too late. The guy just found a coach who has confidence in him, and he is playing with Liles.

Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
If you can't see how Gorges is too weak physically and too limited in his abilities to play against the other team's top players, than I have nothing more to tell you.
If you can't see hes not a very good top 4 defenseman there is nothing more to tell you.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Some people cannot get over the fact Picard ****ing sucks, plain and simple. How they could choose to have him on their team over O'Byrne is beyond me, despite O'B's shortcomings, he was nowhere NEAR as bad as this piece of crap is.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's why you don't base roster decisions on 2 months of hockey. O'byrne is bigger, more physical and better skater.
Just remember that he was traded when Markov was still line the line up and Subban was playing his best hockey. Like Lapierre, the guy wanted to play.

Just another prime example of the Habs' mismanagement of younger assets.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Just remember that he was traded when Markov was still line the line up and Subban was playing his best hockey. Like Lapierre, the guy wanted to play.

Just another prime example of the Habs' mismanagement of younger assets.
Thats the Problem, Montreal shouldn't just trade their players under 30 Because they want to play. Incase **** like this happens. Its like Having some nice Depth is not aloud. Of course its easy to say this now, but seriously, Picard over O'bryne? ****ing Martin and his man crushes.

Old
Stradale

Quote:
If you can't see how Gorges is too weak physically and too limited in his abilities to play against the other team's top players, than I have nothing more to tell you. Playing 23 minutes a game at the start of the season killed him. He's a 17 minutes d-man. Nothing more, nothing less. On some nights he MIGHT get barely 20 minutes, but not an average of 23 minutes for extended periods of time.
Sorry, i call this bullcrap.

If Gorges is 37 yr old and playing top minutes, then ok, but the guy is like 27. He was not injured because he played more minutes than he should. He played about the same minutes as Gill, who is much older. By your theory, Gill would be death by now considering his age.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
roy munson

The news must be affecting me a lot more than I thought at first. My wife just asked me what did she do to suddenly put me in that mood.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post

The news must be affecting me a lot more than I thought at first. My wife just asked me what did she do to suddenly put me in that mood.
Gorges was not in the line up the last two games and the Habs have 3 points out of 4.

No one is unremplacable.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Gorges was not in the line up the last two games and the Habs have 3 points out of 4.

No one is unremplacable.
Two games is different from trying to go 40 games and then Playoffs if we make it. Losing 2 of our top 4 will start to show very soon.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

wow this blows our d was weak before the Gorges injury now its awful. anyone thinks we claim Commodore off Waivers now?

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:12 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I get home to see this terrible news?

God ****ing damn it

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
wow this blows our d was weak before the Gorges injury now its awful. anyone thinks we claim Commodore off Waivers now?
I hope not.

Hamrlik - Wiz
Gill- Subban
Spacek-Weber
Picard

can do the job.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I hope not.

Hamrlik - Wiz
Gill- Subban
Spacek-Weber
Picard

can do the job.
If by do the job you mean miss the playoffs and be in the fight for the lottery, than yes.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
LeMAD

Season over.

I just hope Gauthier won't do desperate moves just to make the playoffs by trading some of our future.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote