HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #4 RUN-OFF!

View Poll Results: Who is the 4th best Rangers prospect?
Dylan McIlrath 46 48.42%
Michael Sauer 49 51.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
McIlrath. Injuries are still a concern for Sauer. Those problems don't just go away although I hope he has them all behind him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Really, you're not hoping McIlrath at least becomes a dependable NHL defenseman? Sauer's already that with the ability to improve.
No, I'm hoping McIlrath brings something we haven't had in years. A nasty physical presence who will make opponents think twice before skating into our zone on his side of the ice. A guy who will make opponents pay the price for getting to close to our goalie. I really like Sauer. I always have. But I don't know that he's capable of becoming that kind of player. To me the Freight Train from Winnipeg was picked because he can become that difference maker. That's why he's the better prospect.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Sauer and Poti-quality should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Sauer already displays an understanding of how to play actual defense in the NHL, that it took Poti 10 years to begin to figure out. Sauer also has an edge and mean streak, something Poti has very rarely ever exhibited.

Sauer is establishing himself as a legitimate NHL defenseman, something McIlrath is not even close to showing yet. At the moment, until he can show that he will anything more than a potential top 4 D-man, which Sauer is on his way to doing right now, I do not see McIlrath topping out at a higher end than Sauer.
well put.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Wow, even this poll is really close.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:52 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Gotta go with Sauer for now...showing he can be steady in the NHL already.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Ail
k.

Should Wrath hit his ceiling or close to it, Sauer will still be a mini-Wrath in that he has some snarl. He's already showing he can hack it in the NHL (barring a meltdown) and should be a valuable player building in with the rest of the core.

Sticking with Sauer.

01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, I'm hoping McIlrath brings something we haven't had in years. A nasty physical presence who will make opponents think twice before skating into our zone on his side of the ice. A guy who will make opponents pay the price for getting to close to our goalie. I really like Sauer. I always have. But I don't know that he's capable of becoming that kind of player. To me the Freight Train from Winnipeg was picked because he can become that difference maker. That's why he's the better prospect.
But, that is only one part of the equation, IMO. I base my judgment on three factors - 1) potential, 2) likelihood of reaching that potential, and 3) stage of development. McIlrath may potentially top out higher than Sauer, but, Sauer is further along in his development, and more likely to fulfill his potential. So, in my equation, the difference in potential between McIlrath and Sauer is not greater than Sauer's likelihood of reaching his full potential, and his stage of development.

Last edited by jas: 01-06-2011 at 07:23 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I just tied it up, had no idea it was this close.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
At what point do we just call it a tie?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Big Mac has a higher ceiling because of his physical gifts, but Sauer I believe has second pairing upside and is proving he's a good NHL defenseman.

Sticking with Sauer.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yikes. I think we have a tie 4th.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
skroob**

43 to 43

lol

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Nyrfan25

How can you hold a poll that includes a player in the NHL and a player just drafted ?
Sorry but it makes no sense.

Nyrfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrfan25 View Post
How can you hold a poll that includes a player in the NHL and a player just drafted ?
Because the prospect poll is based on HF rules and guidelines... take it up with them.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrfan25 View Post
We use the HF criteria for determining who is still eligible as a prospect. Due to his limited NHL experience, Sauer is still a prospect. That's why he's in these polls. Read the first post.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Well one guy has only played hockey for 5 or so years and the other comes from a hockey family and is already in the NHL. Hmmmmm which should I pick?

Yeah Sauer.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

I can only hope that opposing GMs are as dimwitted in valuing our "prospects" as some here...

If the Rangers were to inquire on the availability of Brad Richards from the Dallas Stars, I'd be overjoyed if Joe Nieuwendyk wanted Mike Sauer before Dylan McIlrath. That's not gonna happen...

Mike Sauer has played 40 NHL games, so he's obviously further along than an 18 year-old just drafted, right? By that logic, would some of you rather have John Erskine or Ryan McDonagh? McIlrath has a higher ceiling and more intangible assets than Sauer. I am baffled at people who would rather take a bottom-paring D who has limited skills over someone who could be a poor-man's Shea Weber or even better a Brooks Orpik type with some discernable offensive talent.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Sauer pulled out by 3 votes, for the first time creating some breathing room between him and Big Mac, so I will call this one. I suspect we can keep this poll open another 10 days and it won't make much of a difference.

So Sauer it is.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
I can only hope that opposing GMs are as dimwitted in valuing our "prospects" as some here...

If the Rangers were to inquire on the availability of Brad Richards from the Dallas Stars, I'd be overjoyed if Joe Nieuwendyk wanted Mike Sauer before Dylan McIlrath. That's not gonna happen...

Mike Sauer has played 40 NHL games, so he's obviously further along than an 18 year-old just drafted, right? By that logic, would some of you rather have John Erskine or Ryan McDonagh? McIlrath has a higher ceiling and more intangible assets than Sauer. I am baffled at people who would rather take a bottom-paring D who has limited skills over someone who could be a poor-man's Shea Weber or even better a Brooks Orpik type with some discernable offensive talent.

Yup, that's how I feel.

If we traded Sauer and Weise, the two ready guys, for Brad, I'd be pretty happy with it.

If we traded Big Mac and Chris Thomas, I'd be very pissed.

If all I wanted was a player who is ready, I wouldn't need to get an average-to-below-average rookie with no experience. I would go out and sign a nice 28-year-old role player, and you know that those guys come pretty cheap.

But the funny thing about these forums is that a 28-year-old vet who knows how to play NHL hockey is treated as worse, far worse, than a 20-year-old role player who keeps making rookie mistakes, and does not have the potential to ever be anything more than that very 28-year-old.

It's all about emotions, not logic, for most fans...

Old
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post

I would say he has the highest bust factor of any of our kids so that alone makes me wanna take Sauer and bump him down the list even further. I look at this McIrath guy as a pure project. Hasn't played hockey as long as other prospects and is limited in his game. He is also wayyy down on a decent depth chart of young defenders so most likely he's very far away from contending for a job.

Old
01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yup, that's how I feel.

If we traded Sauer and Weise, the two ready guys, for Brad, I'd be pretty happy with it.

If all I wanted was a player who is ready, I wouldn't need to get an average-to-below-average rookie with no experience. I would go out and sign a nice 28-year-old role player, and you know that those guys come pretty cheap.

But the funny thing about these forums is that a 28-year-old vet who knows how to play NHL hockey is treated as worse, far worse, than a 20-year-old role player who keeps making rookie mistakes, and does not have the potential to ever be anything more than that very 28-year-old.

I'd trade Weise in a heartbeat in the right package. It's not just about NHL readiness with Mike Sauer.

Sauer has played like a poised veteran in his first full year in the NHL and has displayed enough skill to be a 2nd pairing guy. If he's able to overcome injury issues he's going to be a rock on our blueline.

I'd take an NHL ready second pairing guy over a huge project capable of becoming a first pairing guy, and I'm all on the D-Mac wagon.

If Mac wasn't so raw maybe i'd agree, but right now he's not really showing enough to make me believe he'll reach his ceiling. Of course that can change because he's a prospect, which is why nobody should be getting upset some of us are considering Sauer a top prospect. It's absolutely astounding he's made ONE mistake that jumps out as a rookie, especially as a D-man.

Really, the only thing Mac has over Sauer is he's just a behemoth. But that doesn't mean he'll be an NHL monster. As much as I hate to use this since it's so tired, look at Jessiman.

edit- Not to mention Mac is a humongous project. If he scrapes his ceiling it will be great. But he can also bust completely and not even be a third pairing guy. i'm not sold on him being able to hack it just because of his size.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Yup, that's how I feel.

You woulda turned down Jessiman + Dawes for lets say Shane Doan? I bet you would have a few years ago and that goes to show how your logic can backfire. You make it sound like every prospect is a sure fire NHL player and star about to happen.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You woulda turned down Jessiman + Dawes for lets say Shane Doan? I bet you would have a few years ago and that goes to show how your logic can backfire. You make it sound like every prospect is a sure fire NHL player and star about to happen.

Some high-risk, high-return prospects will bust and some will not. You can't pick and choose after the fact.

Let me ask you think, what if the Rangers had a choice to keep Savard and Dube as opposed to Sundstrom and Karpovtsev.

Sure Dube became a bust, but isn't Savard far better than Sundstrom+Karpovtsev?

Old
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Some high-risk, high-return prospects will bust and some will not. You can't pick and choose after the fact.

Let me ask you think, what if the Rangers had a choice to keep Savard and Dube as opposed to Sundstrom and Karpovtsev.

Sure Dube became a bust, but isn't Savard far better than Sundstrom+Karpovtsev?
Which is exactly why you have to consider Sauer's NHL experience over Wrath's ceiling when voting here.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Which is exactly why you have to consider Sauer's NHL experience over Wrath's ceiling when voting here.

Good job paying attention to only part of what I said. The point was that even though some high-risk, high-return prospects may not make it, those who do are worth 3-5 "safe" prospects together.