HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Josh Gorges DONE FOR THE YEAR!

Old
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

vCash: 500
i noticed foster was scratched form the oilers tonight. i think he'd be a good replacement. i don't know how come he is not fitting in with oilers. i thought he had a good career going before this year.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Ugh just heard this horrible news. I loved Gorges.

Considering Hamrlik missed tonight's game and Spacek left the game early this could turn into a nightmare pretty quickly.

I definitely support a wait-and-see attitude. No time to panic. Let the kids plays. I'd love to see Nash and Carle get some minutes over Festerling.
I like the way Subban and Weber are playing, they will get a ton of ice time and they will get the opportunity to improve their overall game, I think we have a nice mix of puckmoving (Wis PK Webs) and stay at home D (Hamrlik Gill).. I dont think we will have a hard time to make the playoffs, Im more worried about the post season, thats where Gorges will be missed the most and where our lack of experience on D will hurt..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Spending an arm and a leg to get Regehr which basically makes us a worse team than when we started the season, doesn't make sense.

Our D at the start of the year

Markov, Gorges

Spending an arm and a leg to get Regehr nets us

Regehr minus Markov & Gorges

Not good asset management imo.

When you can sit back, don't waste your assets, spend them in the off season to get Regehr and next season have

Markov, Gorges and Regehr.

That sounds alot more succesful to me.

Same thing is true of Kaberle.

spending now is the worst thing this team could do.
I love you recite your opinion as *fact* . Adding a Regehr to this team at any point is a bonus, and you don't have a clue what can happen with injuries next year, and neither do I. If you can fill the gaps, you do it. If you can make your team better at any point, you do it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I love you recite your opinion as *fact* .
everything I said was a fact.

do you think there is anybody in this world that thinks

regehr with no markov and gorges is greater than

regehr with the possibility of Markov and gorges next year?

I make loaded statements for a reason.

Quote:
you don't have a clue what can happen with injuries next year, and neither do I.
I guarantee you, its pretty impossible to have injurie woes next year that are worse than this year defence wise. and if that happens, its an anomoly that I'm willing to live with.

Quote:
If you can fill the gaps, you do it. If you can make your team better at any point, you do it.
I agree with you but the cost of making this team better than it was at the start of this season compared to right now is not worth it.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Ginu

Grab Regehr from Calgary! This is the best time to do it.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Stassino

Chris Phillips for Louis Leblanc

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
BigHabs

I have to say I was really impressed how well the defense came together in last night's game against the Pens. Subban, Weber, Wisniewski, Gill, Spacek all played well and made simple plays 1 pass, then up the boards, then out of the zone. They took over the second about 60/40 in the 3rd, then all us in overtime.

Picard looked like he was struggling, maybe it was because of lack of game time he has seen in the last 2 weeks. I don't know.

My point is, with Gorges officially gone, thinking he was coming back made it pointless for us to try and pick up an 8th dman, now we have a full 6. We would have to call someone up from Hamilton. I think we should possibly look at Valabik on re-entry.

The guy is 6'7 255pounds. Unlike Gill with size who is just a shutdown, Valabik players a meaner game than Gill. He hits, he fights, and he has decent skating as well. I would kind of like to have him in the lineup than Picard at the moment. The whole thing I like about it is, he is an RFA at season's end, he is only 24, and he is only half the cost coming off of re-entry.

Like someone said in the Valabik re-entry waivers post over in the trade forum. What better coach, to coach him, even though it is Martin, he did kind of help Chara get where he is today with his defensive game and such. I agree somewhat with that statement. Chara wasn't who he was now when he was 24 either, so to have Valabik come in who has Chara-ristics, it could be a win win, and he could possibly develope into an great 2 way defender, like Chara. Imagine he thrived in our system and come playoffs he was a beast. If that was the case we could focus on offense and try to save at the deadline, by not giving up too many pieces.

We really don't have anything to lose, its only 1 year and half the cost, I think 360K. If it don't work out let him walk at season's end.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
BLONG7

PG is playing it pretty cool at this point...tough luck for the Habs with injuries again this year, but it does give an opportunity to the young guys to step it up......trade deadline is 7 weeks away, not that PG will wait until then, but he seems to think he may not have to add another dman.....the month of January will tell us one way or another...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
If you can't see how Gorges is too weak physically and too limited in his abilities to play against the other team's top players, than I have nothing more to tell you. Playing 23 minutes a game at the start of the season killed him. He's a 17 minutes d-man. Nothing more, nothing less. On some nights he MIGHT get barely 20 minutes, but not an average of 23 minutes for extended periods of time.
I may be the only one to agree with you. Many times Josh Gorges ends up on the seat of his pants. A lot of times it's happening in the goal crease. That's always bothered me about him. He gets pushed towards the goalie.

Don't get me wrong - he is a warrior and evidently a good leader but I'm anxious to see what Weber can do with this opportunity. I was encouraged by Weber when he knocked Byfuglien off of the puck pretty easily. He showed strength and is more of a puck moving d-man.

The penalty kill remains in the top two without Gorges. That's where it's been all year. The Habs have picked up all points available to them with Gorges out except one. We'll see how it goes but so far so good.

And with Hamrlik out too last night maybe it "forced" the team to play the kind of hockey they were playing at the beginning of the season. Keep things simple and work as a five man unit around the puck. I didn't see the game last night so I don't if that's what happened.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Would PG consider adding a SAH d-men like Colin White for the playoffs? The return wouldn't be all that important, maybe Yannick Weber?

Yes, no, maybe?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Would PG consider adding a SAH d-men like Colin White for the playoffs? The return wouldn't be all that important, maybe Yannick Weber?

Yes, no, maybe?
Not even in the ballpark.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not even in the ballpark.
So a guy who's in the press box more often then not isn't worth a SAH d-men with a couple of rings to his resume?

Ok, sorry I asked.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
O'Byrne would be nice to have right about now...
The Habs could've had O'Byrne and he would still have been in the rafters last night -- he's not better than anyone they used against Pittsburgh.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
macavoy

Quote:
So a guy who's in the press box more often then not isn't worth a SAH d-men with a couple of rings to his resume?

Ok, sorry I asked.
I would do the trade, I don't think Weber is going to be a solid NHL dmen. I think he's a little weak. But I haven't seen him play all that much tbh.

The problem is, I wouldn't be a buyer at this point. I want to preserve assets for next year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

Ok, sorry I asked.
Don't be sorry, some people around here overate their players around here.

It's an interesting trade to look at. While it helps the Habs on the defense side, trading away Weber is taking away a possible piece to the Habs future. I wonder, what is White's contract situation as of right now? If he's a rental, it would make no sense to me to trade youth that can crack the line-up next year or at least have a spot, for someone that is more likely then not out the door after the present season/post-season.

But in terms of value, yeah this is a good value. However, in my opinion, it all depends on White's contract/terms.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:03 AM
LesCanadiens

Mr

No panic deals. If we make a decent asset swap, great, if not.....live and die by the farm.

This makes the Laps trade all the more mystifying. I have to say, I was quite pleased with PG up until that deal, although I was not a big fan of him running our club.

At the very least, Laps should had got us a decent journeyman "keep it simple", bottom pairing guy. Not an AHL'er.

This, or go big and trade for Kaberle. Maybe some draft picks and an OK roster player or prospect. We must have a guy in the mold of Jeff Finger in our system to entice that bonehead Brian Burke.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Ok, sorry I asked.
Commodore has a ring, makes about the same money and he is on waivers so obviously White doesn't have a ton of value...nobody has cap room and New Jersey is up against it once they activate Parise.

Seguin was in the press box a few weeks ago, maybe we should offer Spacek for him...

Old
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
No panic deals. If we make a decent asset swap, great, if not.....live and die by the farm.

This makes the Laps trade all the more mystifying. I have to say, I was quite pleased with PG up until that deal, although I was not a big fan of him running our club.

At the very least, Laps should had got us a decent journeyman "keep it simple", bottom pairing guy. Not an AHL'er.

This, or go big and trade for Kaberle. Maybe some draft picks and an OK roster player or prospect. We must have a guy in the mold of Jeff Finger in our system to entice that bonehead Brian Burke.
Lapierre asked to be traded. He isn't a big piece of the puzzle and he is very inconsistant. PG can only get out of the market what a team is willing to pay.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Ok, sorry I asked.
I would do this trade...SAH dmen are underrated at times...White would be a nice addition with Gorges out for the season...does he make 3M with one year left?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would do this trade...SAH dmen are underrated at times...White would be a nice addition with Gorges out for the season...does he make 3M with one year left?
1.5 years left at 3 mil. He hasn't played very well the last 2+ years, not to justify 3 mil per year.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Gorges just told the media that he'd been playing with a torn ACL for 7 years

What a warrior. How can anyone dislike this guy?

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Chris Phillips for Louis Leblanc
Ayoye !!!!

The habs don't need another d-man. They have 7 capable d-men. Let wait until the trade deadline to make a move, if a move is really needed.

I'd rather have a top-six winger to put some pucks in the opponents' net.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Andy

Has Cam A Larry hijacked the thread yet to tell everyone how Josh Gorges is not good?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Grab Regehr from Calgary! This is the best time to do it.
Bieksa probably be cheaper, dont get me wrong love Regher but seems like he will be expensive

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
playing with a torn ACL since 2003 all I can say is wow

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote