HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you play with Jagr and Nylander?

View Poll Results: Who plays with Jagr and Nylander?
Martin Rucinsky (assuming he signs) 17 22.67%
Paul Kariya (assuming he signs) 5 6.67%
Alexandre Giroux 8 10.67%
Jamie Lundmark 19 25.33%
Chad Wiseman 3 4.00%
Garth Murray 0 0%
Jason Strudwick 1 1.33%
Jozef Balej (shift him over) 12 16.00%
Nigel Dawes 4 5.33%
Other (name in reply) 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
If the Rangers are going to rebuild, they might as well eat money and trade Jagr and Holik for picks or prospects. No need for them to be around.

Jagr's trade value won't get any better than it is right now with his cheap contract and his recent heroics in Europe. He could net a lot at the deadline, assuming he has a decent year. So you probably want to buy him a linemate to prop up his numbers.
The only problem with trying to trade Jagr is that Sather gave him a no-trade clause when Jagr agreed to restructure his contract (Jagr wouldn't have done that without it). So Jagr has to agree to any trade.

And "buying him a linemate" really makes absolutely NO sense. Even if the Rangers get Crosby in the draft, they are not going to have a good enough team to justify spending the money (or trading prospects) to get him another linemate (Sather already signed Nylander for just that reason), just to make Jagr's numbers look better.

Old
06-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Fletch

Exactly NYR...

that's all you need to do to a 22 year old's confidence..put Balej out there on a top line with no help or backup...he didn't do well in Hartford...think all of the sudden with the added pressure he's mature in the NHL. There needs to be a mix. It would be a crime to see guys playing out of their roles because the Rangers decided to go with all yoots.

Old
06-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that's all you need to do to a 22 year old's confidence..put Balej out there on a top line with no help or backup...he didn't do well in Hartford...think all of the sudden with the added pressure he's mature in the NHL. There needs to be a mix. It would be a crime to see guys playing out of their roles because the Rangers decided to go with all yoots.
Are you makiing this argument against Balej on the top line solely because he'd be playing out of position (something both of us and others have been extremely critical of these last several years), or are you suggesting that all the young players the Rangers currenly have in the system shouldn't play with Jagr? I can't really tell.

While I don't want to see Balej shifted, I do think that some younger player should be playing with Jagr. I don't think that there will be overwhelming pressure--hey, if Jagr doesn't work hard and score goals, he's going to be vilified by everyone who cares anything about the Rangers--on the kid, unless he appears to be completely overwhelmed by the position (in which case, I trust our current coach to change the lineup). If you want to groom kids to play significant roles on a team, you have to give them some responsiblity. They don't have to be on the ice for every critical minute, but they need to some experience playing in all situations or else they will never be ready to take over and become impact players themselves.

Last season is over and it's time to move on and see what some of these kids can do in the NHL.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
bmoak

Why isn't Prucha on the poll? I think he and Marek are the only two prospects I would feel comfortable playing LW with Nylander and Jagr as primary options. Prucha has the shiftiness and quickness to do well if paired with two qulaity playmakers and jagr will open up room for him. Petr can also play two-way, as he is used as a defensive forward on the Czech squad.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Why isn't Prucha on the poll? I think he and Marek are the only two prospects I would feel comfortable playing LW with Nylander and Jagr as primary options. Prucha has the shiftiness and quickness to do well if paired with two qulaity playmakers and jagr will open up room for him. Petr can also play two-way, as he is used as a defensive forward on the Czech squad.
It's the old bird in the hand syndrome--these players aren't signed and there is no guarantee that they will be able to reach an agreement with Sather, assuming he has any interest at all in bringing them over to North America. I have no doubt that if either or both of them sign we will see whole threads devoted to where they should play, with whom they should be playing with, whether they should live in the City or go to the burbs, what restaurant they should frequent, etc, etc, etc.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Fletch

Br...

I was talking about a Jagr-less world. My left wing depth chart, by default, starts with Lundmark and includes Giroux, although I'm hoping that a 20 year old will become UFA and get the nod.

Old
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Two words -- Hugh Jessiman

Old
06-26-2005, 09:02 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
#1 - Hugh is nowhere near NHL ready...pretty much the entire AHL team is more deserving for a shot then Hugh.

#2 - Hugh plays RW not LW.

Old
06-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I was talking about a Jagr-less world. My left wing depth chart, by default, starts with Lundmark and includes Giroux, although I'm hoping that a 20 year old will become UFA and get the nod.
That makes much more sense. Honestly, that would not be a good thing. I'd much rather watch Jagr and a bunch of kids than some veteran mercenary brought in to replace Jagr and a bunch of kids.

Old
06-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Does it bother you at all that Hugh Jessiman has never played a single game of professional hockey?

Old
06-27-2005, 12:04 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
#1 - Hugh is nowhere near NHL ready...pretty much the entire AHL team is more deserving for a shot then Hugh.

#2 - Hugh plays RW not LW.
hugh plays both wings and when asked after being drafted he said that he prefers playing LW because he feels he can make plays better off his off-wing...

but that doesn't really matter because the key is #1, he isn't ready.

Closed Thread