HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers interested in Langenbrunner (update: traded to Dallas)

Old
01-07-2011, 12:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
A flop of one of the best days ever. He wanted to come to Philly, and the Flyers were probably a Bourque away. And it wasn't chatter, it was screaming. The web wasn't what it is now, and it was all everyone was talking about.
Could not believe he didn't come to Philly. Utter disappointment.
didnt Boston want Gagne and that was the reason it didnt happen? Of course Boston took a lesser deal from Colorado. I was watching that game on NESN that day and was strong talk it would happen after the game. In fact many Philly players told Bourque he was headed to the wrong lockerroom. thats how close many thought the deal would happen.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:44 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
I would like to think, due to the D the Devils have, which isn't much, we deal Walker and a 3rd & 5th. to get this done.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
watch he will end up on the islanders because they need to take on cap.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:12 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
watch he will end up on the islanders because they need to take on cap.
Lol, I'm pretty sure the Isles isn't one of the teams he listed he would waive his NTC for.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

What will be interesting is, if we do get Langenbrunner for the two draft picks, we will then be over the cap. Wonder who will then be on the way out.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:20 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What will be interesting is, if we do get Langenbrunner for the two draft picks, we will then be over the cap. Wonder who will then be on the way out.
Gonna suck if its someone we all love. Id rather take gagne back. However I am biased.

Perhaps zherdev but they have kovi. Maybe nodl as much as that would suck.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:23 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Gonna suck if its someone we all love. Id rather take gagne back. However I am biased.

Perhaps zherdev but they have kovi. Maybe nodl as much as that would suck.
Sam Car has us at 3.6 mil in capspace. I have no idea where he is getting that number at though, since only Walker and Lappy are the only ones on IR. Capgeek even says we are about 1.5 mil under. Until it actually happens, and capgeek updates the page, I will hold off. I have a feeling we will be about 1 mil over. Sending someone like SHELLY down would save us the headache, but doubtful that happens.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Garbage Goal

What's the point in trading Zherdev+ for Langenbrunner? Kind of defeats the purpose.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What's the point in trading Zherdev+ for Langenbrunner? Kind of defeats the purpose.
Not really, at all. Two different types of players. Langenbrunner will probably outscore Zherdev, play hard every night and has won two Cups.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:17 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I was also wondering why we would do this trade? We don't really need any pieces. I saw someone earlier mention he's won cups, but we have two cup winning veterans in O'Donnell and Pronger. Furthermore, a bunch of our players went through four rounds of playoffs last year. I guess more leadership couldn't hurt though, and he did put up 61 points last season.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:25 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Defense?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Anything other than our first, and/or any of our highend (obviously subjective) prospects or players, and I'd certainly be okay with Langs on the team. Good vet, appears to give it his all every night.

I'm a huge Nodl supporter, but as others have pointed out, he just can't finish lately. Two AMAZING chances lastnight, and he flubbed them both.

Langs - Richie - Roo
Harts - Danny - Ville
JVR - Carts - Zherdev/Wellwood/Noodles
Carcillo/Shelley - Betts - Powe

Prongs - Carle
Coburn - Kimmo
Mez - OD
Walker/Gustafsson/Syvret

If Nodl doesn't pick it up soon, send him down and bring Wellwood back up. Even from his limited time at the beginning of the season, he looked great. I believe he was on Richie's line? I'd like to see more of this kid.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

[QUOTE=Timonen;30031329]Like KingPin said even if we don't get Langenbrunner at least it shows Homer is still trying to improve the team. Thats a good thing[/QUOTE Homer is always trying to improve our team

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I was also wondering why we would do this trade? We don't really need any pieces. I saw someone earlier mention he's won cups, but we have two cup winning veterans in O'Donnell and Pronger. Furthermore, a bunch of our players went through four rounds of playoffs last year. I guess more leadership couldn't hurt though, and he did put up 61 points last season.
Me personally if it is more than a cup of coffee I do not want him. I still remember the Adam Oates trade. My #1 worse Flyers deal

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
As long as it doesn't interfere in any way with us getting leino resigned (cap), I say go for it.

And no matter what, throw shelley in as a bonus.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:52 AM
mirimon

I've always liked Langenbrunner as a player. He might be on the tail end of his career, but I think it could be a good addition. He would most likely be a rental though, so the cost can't be too high.

If the Devils want Nödl in return, I would probably think about that however. Lately he's been playing like the NoGoal we all learned to love. I have a feeling that this is what he'll be as a player, a 4th liner who will go on a hot streak once or twice a year (he really is more suited for a 4th line than a 3rd line in my opinion). That is, he's not necessarily bad, but he's fairly easily replaceable.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Not really, at all.
Yeah, but their role here would be pretty damn similar. Both secondary scorers not expected to carry a big workload.

Quote:
Two different types of players. Langenbrunner will probably outscore Zherdev
How did you come to that conclusion? Zherdev is on pace for somewhere around 30 goals despite his limited ice-time and benchings. Langenbrunner has 4 goals...so I guess he's on pace for like 10. Zherdev even has more points then Langenbrunner.

Zherdev is also 26 and langenbrunner is 35. Massive age gap there and I almost never feel safe with 35+ players. Langenbrunner has also had rumoured personality issues in NJ.

It's fine if you want to believe that Langenbrunner will outscore Zherdev, but don't act like it's a sure thing.

Zherdev is much younger and is having a much better year then Langenbrunner. So why trade assets for the unknown quantity that's currently performing worse then the potential asset going back?
Quote:
play hard every night and has won two Cups.
Actually the opposite of that has been one of his criticisms by NJ fans.

Cup rings also is never a reason to trade for someone. How good they are on the ice is all that matters and, currently, he doesn't look that good.

Besides, even if I did subscribe to the belief that Cup rings matter, we have O' Donnell and Pronger plus almost everyone on our roster was here last year to go to game 6 of the SCF (while coming out of an 0-3 hole along the way). So it's not as if we don't have experience.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Langenbrunner can still be a good player. I'm fine with getting him as long as we keep our 1st. Apparently we offered a 3rd and a 5th so far.

And by outscore he could have meant point-scoring, not goal scoring. Zherdev only has 1 more point than Langenbrunner

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Villedelphia*

I'm concerned with team morale if we trade away a well-liked player

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
I'm concerned with team morale if we trade away a well-liked player
Welcome to the business.

If the other 20 guys are going to sit around and feel sorry for themselves because one guy left in the middle of the season, they weren't even close to having the "mental fortitude" required to win.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:18 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Maybe Holmgren will "make room" with Walker like De Niro made room on his board of directors in The Untouchables.
That's awesome. Hockey stick instead of baseball bat.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Welcome to the business.

If the other 20 guys are going to sit around and feel sorry for themselves because one guy left in the middle of the season, they weren't even close to having the "mental fortitude" required to win.
true, but I suppose I don't see acquiring Langenbrunner as necessary, especially if we need to trade away anyone other than shelley/walker/leighton or a d-man prospect (other than Gust, please)

Wasn't the team pissed after Upshall left?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
DUHockey9

I just can't see it happening. A 3rd and a 5th isn't going to get it done IMO, and we don't have much to offer from the NHL roster or in the form of prospects. Throw in the fact that we're in the division. I'd bet it doesn't happen.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:31 AM
BringBackStevens

I'd take him over zherdev bit i wouldn't trade something like Nodl for him. Something like a mid round pick and an adirondack defenseman, then flip zherdev to make up for the pick

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:34 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'd take him over zherdev bit i wouldn't trade something like Nodl for him. Something like a mid round pick and an adirondack defenseman, then flip zherdev to make up for the pick
I'd try and get him and still keep Z. Trade Carcillo out west for a pick. Put Nodl on the 4th line with Betts and Powe.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote