HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Festerling Article

Old
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
For discussion purposes, PG made some significant changes to them when he took over. Not at all the same group as in the past few years. PG's acquisition ahve worked out so far, they seem to be doing an ok job.
That's fine, but I was talking about the trade in the 06-07 season, that is why I had to mention their pathetic track record. I remember earlier this season when most scouts were let go, but do people really think we traded Lapierre, a player who did not show any progress since his best season, and we can even say he has regressed under Martin. Don't know Festerling at all, but a guy playing in the AHL below guys like Mara, I can't see that much of a future for him in the NHL. Could I be wrong? certainly, but I can't see him coming here to play in our top 6, not sure how Hamiltons D is looking this year, maybe they needed a guy.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think the biggest reason that gorges may have felt like a throw in was because he was overshadowed by the first round pick coming along with him.
BINGO! Gainey and Doug Wilson are very tight and I remember Wilson saying great things about Gorges when we acquired him. Gainey knew what he was getting.

Those who think Gorges and Festerling are similar are delusional. Gorges was an established NHL'er at Festerling's age.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
That's fine, but I was talking about the trade in the 06-07 season, that is why I had to mention their pathetic track record. I remember earlier this season when most scouts were let go, but do people really think we traded Lapierre, a player who did not show any progress since his best season, and we can even say he has regressed under Martin. Don't know Festerling at all, but a guy playing in the AHL below guys like Mara, I can't see that much of a future for him in the NHL. Could I be wrong? certainly, but I can't see him coming here to play in our top 6, not sure how Hamiltons D is looking this year, maybe they needed a guy.
I tink that you hit it on the nail there. With Carle out and Weber up here, they were short.

Also, I don't expect much from Festerling, although you never know (I wasn't expecting much of Gorges neither), but a guy like Lapierre is not much worth much in this league, there are plenty of guys like him.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
flowerpower13*

This doesn't look like a good trade, but what do we know? I'm surprise that Lapierre did not have a greater value.

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:20 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower13 View Post
This doesn't look like a good trade, but what do we know? I'm surprise that Lapierre did not have a greater value.
But you forgot the 5th rounder we got. He's gonna be a darn good one !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Habs13

Interesting that he played 40 games on a Duck squad that had Wisniewski also. I wonder if Moen was on that team, too? I wonder if that was coincidence or planned that way?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Interesting that he played 40 games on a Duck squad that had Wisniewski also. I wonder if Moen was on that team, too? I wonder if that was coincidence or planned that way?
Moen said they never played together.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Toro

Festerling right now and Gorges when we acquired him are in a similar place. With Gorges getting the edge as he was up in SJ when we acquired him.

Other than that their careers to that point were very similar. Jeez doesn't mean anything negative towards Gorges.
Some need to take their I LOVE GORGES THE UNDERDOG glasses off.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower13 View Post

I'm surprised we didn't showcase Lapierre -- give him top six duty with plenty of sugar time on the PP to put up some points. Either he would produce and be encouraged to be a Hab, or at least his trade value would rise. We seem to often sell players low (Ribeiro, O'Byrne, you know the list...)

Habs asset management is not very good IMHO.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I got the opportunity to do more digging today, will speak to Don Hay for some insight sometime this week.

A friend mentionned Josh DeWolf from the Malakhov - Souray trade ...

What's pretty funny is that :

1 - Both DeWolf and Festerling were paired with Niedermayer at on time but ...
One was in California for half a season in 2009 , the other was for 40 minutes in training camp in 1999.

2 - Both these players were Ducks, Festerling an Anaheim Duck , Dewolf a Cincinnati Mighty Duck.

3 - Both played in the AHL in Texas, Festerling with San Antonio, Dewolf with Houston

4 - Dewolf was traded with teammate Sheldon Souray, a player who jump started the Habs powerplay with a thunderous point shot, Festerling was traded to Montreal joining Ex-Duck teammate Wisniewski who ... you guessed it, jump started the Habs powerplay with a thunderous point shot.

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

btw

While I was digging on the Festerling article I was told that one of the players that has a good value on the Habs roster is Travis Moen.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
I got the opportunity to do more digging today, will speak to Don Hay for some insight sometime this week.

One was in California for half a season in 2009 , the other was for 40 minutes in training camp in 1999.

2 - Both these players were Ducks, Festerling an Anaheim Duck , Dewolf a Cincinnati Mighty Duck.

3 - Both played in the AHL in Texas, Festerling with San Antonio, Dewolf with Houston

4 - Dewolf was traded with teammate Sheldon Souray, a player who jump started the Habs powerplay with a thunderous point shot, Festerling was traded to Montreal joining Ex-Duck teammate Wisniewski who ... you guessed it, jump started the Habs powerplay with a thunderous point shot.
If this is true then Festerling is already a bust. Wiz will be our Souray for the next 5 years and Emelin will come over and become the new Markov

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Toro

Quote:

LOL

I see what u did..

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
CN_paladin

Let's hope he can be a serviceable number 6 or 7 defenseman if needed. I wouldn't label him as the next Gorges yet.

Last edited by CN_paladin: 01-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I'm surprised we didn't showcase Lapierre -- give him top six duty with plenty of sugar time on the PP to put up some points. Either he would produce and be encouraged to be a Hab, or at least his trade value would rise. We seem to often sell players low (Ribeiro, O'Byrne, you know the list...)

you forget that we're trying to win hockey games here.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:47 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
btw

While I was digging on the Festerling article I was told that one of the players that has a good value on the Habs roster is Travis Moen.
come again?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:20 AM
habtastic

I've been out of the loop (on vacation), but trying to follow with articles and news (but not watching games).

Is Gorges out THAT long?

From what I remember Gorges has had a meteoric rise with us and now is the go to defensive D man. He started off as the last guy in. Totally got better with the Habs despite playing a lot in SJ. You cannot replace exactly what Gorges does and based on their size, seems like Festerling would be a different type of player. Anyway, one of those time will tell, D corps constantly changing sorta deals. Hopefully we landed a guy who realizes his potential like JG did, but otherwise wasn't it just a cap/roster spot move (I was shocked that Laps was traded, I like him a lot, but I haven't been following the ENTIRE media storm, so perhaps it's well-accepted now?)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:23 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I've been out of the loop (on vacation), but trying to follow with articles and news (but not watching games).

Is Gorges out THAT long?

From what I remember Gorges has had a meteoric rise with us and now is the go to defensive D man. He started off as the last guy in. Totally got better with the Habs despite playing a lot in SJ. You cannot replace exactly what Gorges does and based on their size, seems like Festerling would be a different type of player. Anyway, one of those time will tell, D corps constantly changing sorta deals. Hopefully we landed a guy who realizes his potential like JG did, but otherwise wasn't it just a cap/roster spot move (I was shocked that Laps was traded, I like him a lot, but I haven't been following the ENTIRE media storm, so perhaps it's well-accepted now?)
Really? They're damn near the same size.

Josh Gorges
6'1"
200lbs

Brett Festerling
6'1"
210lbs.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Bacchus1

The guy is still young. D mean sometimes only excel at around 27ish. He has lots of time to mature. He may, in the end, be a great pick-up. He may in the end just be part of the Bulldogs. Who knows how he will develop. One thing for sure though is that we have lost a lot of D-depth in the last couple of years, and Festerling may be one addition in a move to shore up that position.

Hope he becomes a good piece for us, like all our additions ;-)

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I think the Gorges injury now officially makes Festerling a plausible solution for this team long term ... although ...

Old
01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
BINGO! Gainey and Doug Wilson are very tight and I remember Wilson saying great things about Gorges when we acquired him. Gainey knew what he was getting.

Those who think Gorges and Festerling are similar are delusional. Gorges was an established NHL'er at Festerling's age.
At the time of the trades Gorges had 96 NHL games and Festerling 83 so it's not inconceivable taht it turn into a similar scenario.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

The team was struggling for wins...I'm pretty sure points in the standings are more important than trying to get a 4th instaed of a 5th for Lapierre. Given his lack of offensive upside, I don't see "showcasing" him making much of a difference.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote