HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap Geeks: How do we fit Zach Parise on the Rangers?

Old
01-07-2011, 12:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I'd say Langs leaving town just makes the Devils look less like home to Parise, and easier to say goodbye.

Signing with the Rangers would be a real FU to Lou and the franchise though. Not sure that's Parise's style even if it is warranted after thay gave his $$$ to Kovy
I'd say Langenbrunner leaving has absolutely no effect on Parise, unless he likes playing for captains who inexplicably give up on their teams midway through a season and never return to form.

You'll have to explain how they gave Parise's money to Kovalchuk. Seems to me they signed a perennial 40 goal scorer to an affordable contract that will eventually give them two of the most dangerous scoring lines in the NHL.

Again, absolutely no chance Parise leaves the Devils.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, how we'd fit Parise is rather irrelevant as he's not leaving the swamp.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 05:32 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

After the season they're going to end up having, I'd have to disagree with "absolutely no chance". I'd say highly unlikely (mainly because of what the signing team would have to give up). But, Parise can't be thrilled to be on a team that's likely to finish with about 45 points.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:51 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I'd say Langenbrunner leaving has absolutely no effect on Parise, unless he likes playing for captains who inexplicably give up on their teams midway through a season and never return to form.

You'll have to explain how they gave Parise's money to Kovalchuk. Seems to me they signed a perennial 40 goal scorer to an affordable contract that will eventually give them two of the most dangerous scoring lines in the NHL.

The Devils players have been sold a "take less for the team" just to see the team turnaround and give Kovy a 100 million dollar lifetime contract. We are still seeing the fallout of that deal if Captain America gets moved this morning for picks and prospects.

They can't give Parise their own homegrown star the same money they gave Kovalchuk, and Parise is the better player.

If I was about to go into negotiating my new contract and the company just handed some stranger a ridiculous contract thus preventing them from giving me market value, I'm taking a look around at my other options.

Ones players start looking at other options, there is a chance they leave. Especially a player like Zach who would be welcomed on most every roster in the NHL

01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I guess making a thread like this for Getzlaf and/or Weber is just as pointless?
I would say so. No team can let players at this age and talent level go unless they're getting a king's ransom in trade compensation.

If the idea behind lowering the UFA age was to get teams to commit to their core, you've gotta say it worked like a charm.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Patriks7

Well if he doesn't sign with the Devils, I think the Rangers really are a good destination for him. It's not that far for him to move. He would have quite some USA players around him (and a couple USA Olympians as well). The Rangers as a team have a hell of a lot more potential than the Devils in the next couple years, and could become a big threat with someone like him on the team. He would fit right in perfectly with his work ethic. He knows the Atlantic Division well, so he might want to stay here as well.

The question is, though, how would he get here? We'd have to trade a hell of a lot for him and if we offer-sheet him, that would be a lot of picks gone.

If we could get him, our offense would be incredible though. And I think I would get him over Richards as well. I believe AA and Stepan will improve enough by the time we make a Cup push that having someone like Parise on the team will be more important.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
The Devils players have been sold a "take less for the team" just to see the team turnaround and give Kovy a 100 million dollar lifetime contract.
The Devils players, for the most part, are a bunch of scrubs or over the hill players who will no longer be with the team as soon as the Devils can facilitate such a change. None of them are perennial 40 goal, 80-85 point a season players over the course of 8 years in the NHL, either. They all also understand exactly how much it costs to sign UFAs of that stature as opposed to players who re-sign with their own team.

Quote:
We are still seeing the fallout of that deal if Captain America gets moved this morning for picks and prospects.
One has little to do with the other. Langenbrunner is being moved for picks and prospects because he's old, doesn't fit into the team's future, and has been horrible for the last year. And once again, 40 goal scorers usually take up more than 6.6 mill in cap space. The Kovalchuk contract is a discount, one that other teams will be envious of in a year or two when he's back to scoring the way he has for the 8 years that preceded the last 3 months.

The Devils have a number of bad contracts. Kovalchuk isn't one of them. And bad contracts or not, Langenbrunner being moved isn't a sign of anything other than NJ's desire to move forward with retooling their team.

Quote:
They can't give Parise their own homegrown star the same money they gave Kovalchuk, and Parise is the better player.
First of all, whether or not he's a better player is highly debatable. Second of all, that's how free agency works. The only players who get overpaid to stay with their teams are the star players of small market teams that no one wants to play for (Staal, Nash, etc).

Quote:
If I was about to go into negotiating my new contract and the company just handed some stranger a ridiculous contract thus preventing them from giving me market value, I'm taking a look around at my other options.
A) There is no ridiculous contract. You want to talk about market value. Kovalchuk makes BELOW market value.

B) Let's look at what other players comparable to Parise are making. How about Ryan Getzlaf, a better player statistically who plays a more important position and was drafted the same year as Parise, still with his original team, and a Stanley Cup Champion. 5.25 mill per season.

Quote:
Ones players start looking at other options, there is a chance they leave. Especially a player like Zach who would be welcomed on most every roster in the NHL
When you choose to apply as many levels of bias to the situation as you have, then you can make the case that Parise will leave. If you look at the situation rationally, there is no reason whatsoever to suspect that Parise will leave the Devils.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:13 AM
XLJ

I would be surprised if he leaves. Now with Langenbrunner gone they will probably make Parise the captain. Parise is a great player he makes his linemates better too. Look at a player like Zajac he is getting exposed without Parise. If he ever does become a ufa a lot of teams would be interested, there would be a huge bidding war for him. I don’t think he will ever be a ranger.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
Well if he doesn't sign with the Devils, I think the Rangers really are a good destination for him. It's not that far for him to move. He would have quite some USA players around him (and a couple USA Olympians as well). The Rangers as a team have a hell of a lot more potential than the Devils in the next couple years, and could become a big threat with someone like him on the team. He would fit right in perfectly with his work ethic. He knows the Atlantic Division well, so he might want to stay here as well.

The question is, though, how would he get here? We'd have to trade a hell of a lot for him and if we offer-sheet him, that would be a lot of picks gone.

If we could get him, our offense would be incredible though. And I think I would get him over Richards as well. I believe AA and Stepan will improve enough by the time we make a Cup push that having someone like Parise on the team will be more important.
Keep thinking the same thing about Parise. Imagine him and Dubi as your top 2 LW's. Stepan centering either of the two. What about Boyle moving to the top 6 and moving to the right side? Either with Parise or Dubi. Still have Callahan. Maybe Kreider if he makes the trasnition. At the end of the day, an all American top 6 has probably never happened before cept of course in International competition. It would be really interesting to see it happen, along with a complete homegrown defense...Which is really not that far off at all!

Keep saying it to the universe.

How would he get here of course is the big question? Almost have to hope that next year he signs a one year deal with the Devils. If that happens, two things can occur. If the Devs feel he is going to bolt the following season as a UFA then can move him at the deadline. Rangers by next deadline should have assets a plenty. So while not likely the Devs and Rangers swing a deal, it is possible the Rangers with a wealth of assets can land him via trade. Anisimov, 2012 1st as the building blocks.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 01-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Keep thinking the same thing about Parise. Imagine him and Dubi as yout top 2 LW's Stepan centering either of the two. What about Boyle moving to the top 6 and moving to the right side? Either with Parise or Dubi. Still have Callahan. Maybe Kreider if he makes the trasnition. At the end of the day, an all American top 6 has probably never happened before cept of course in Internatiuon competition. It would be really interesting to see it happen, along with a complete homegrown defense...Which is really not that far off at all!

Keep saying it to the universe.

How would he get here of course is the big question. Almost have to hop that next year he signs a one year deal with the Devs. If that happens, two thing can occur. If the Devs feel he is going to bolt the following season as a UFA then can move him at the deadline. Rangers by next deadline should have assets a plenty. So while not likely the Devs and Rangers swing a deal, it is possible the Rangers with a wealth of assets can land him via trade. Anisimov, 2012 1st as the building blocks.
I don't even want to imagine how our top 6 would be with him. Something along the lines of Dubi - Stepan - Gaborik and Parise - AA - MZA would be quite amazing. Swap Dubi for MZA to give the top line even more playmaking skill. With such a top 6 we wouldn't have a problem with scoring again (I hope ).

Anyways, since I don't know much about how the contracts work and stuff, isn't he arbitration eligible? If he is, he could maybe get something the Devils won't be willing to pay but we will and after a (hopefully) successful year with us, he could be signed long term.

Ahhh, one can always dream...

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
GAGLine

There's no way Parise is leaving this summer, but we'll all know his intentions based on the contract he signs. If he goes to arbitration and takes a 1 year deal, I'd say he's as good as gone the following year. Coincidentally, that's the year that Drury and Rozy come off the books, though it's also the first year of the new CBA (hopefully), so who knows how much cap space we will actually have.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
SickNice

The only way Parise leaves as an UFA is if something happens where the Devil's cannot possibly sign him. I don't see any way that happens, especially considering that they will have guys coming off the books by the time he's an UFA.

What is more comical is how some people downplay his abilities. You'd offer him 4 - 6 MM per year? Ridiculous. There isn't a team in the league (sans the Pens maybe) that wouldn't sign him. Before he got hurt, I would put him as one of the top five skaters in the league. You can deny that all you want, but you can't deny that the kid belongs in the conversation.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
The Devils players, for the most part, are a bunch of scrubs or over the hill players who will no longer be with the team as soon as the Devils can facilitate such a change. None of them are perennial 40 goal, 80-85 point a season players over the course of 8 years in the NHL, either. They all also understand exactly how much it costs to sign UFAs of that stature as opposed to players who re-sign with their own team.

One has little to do with the other. Langenbrunner is being moved for picks and prospects because he's old, doesn't fit into the team's future, and has been horrible for the last year. And once again, 40 goal scorers usually take up more than 6.6 mill in cap space. The Kovalchuk contract is a discount, one that other teams will be envious of in a year or two when he's back to scoring the way he has for the 8 years that preceded the last 3 months.

The Devils have a number of bad contracts. Kovalchuk isn't one of them. And bad contracts or not, Langenbrunner being moved isn't a sign of anything other than NJ's desire to move forward with retooling their team.

First of all, whether or not he's a better player is highly debatable. Second of all, that's how free agency works. The only players who get overpaid to stay with their teams are the star players of small market teams that no one wants to play for (Staal, Nash, etc).

A) There is no ridiculous contract. You want to talk about market value. Kovalchuk makes BELOW market value.

B) Let's look at what other players comparable to Parise are making. How about Ryan Getzlaf, a better player statistically who plays a more important position and was drafted the same year as Parise, still with his original team, and a Stanley Cup Champion. 5.25 mill per season.

When you choose to apply as many levels of bias to the situation as you have, then you can make the case that Parise will leave. If you look at the situation rationally, there is no reason whatsoever to suspect that Parise will leave the Devils.

Wow you have an answer for everything.

Langs to Dallas for a "conditional 3rd rounder" ??!!

Absolutely Kovalchuk fallout. You're telling us that was Lous plan all along. To trade the Captain midseason for a conditional 3rd round pick? Lol

I wouldn't doubt that Langs despises what the Devils have done by giving up so much of the teams once impressive identity and cap space to Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuks deal is RIDICULOUS. He gets a valued cap hit over the span of 15 years. It's a stupid contract that the team was pressured to make work because Kovalchuk wanted his 100 Million dollars. The NHL has already said there will be no more contracts like this allowed. It circumvents the spirit of the cap, clearly. Of course none of this is Parises fault, but he WILL NOT be afforded the same deal. They can't do it.

This is how the Devils gave Zachs pie to the Kovalchuk. Will Parise still go ahead and sign for less with the Devils than he could get from other teams? I'm just suggesting, perhaps he'll think twice. I know I would.

As for the Parise vs Kovalchuk... well nows probably not a fair moment to make the call considering Kovalchuk has like 10 goals and is a minus 25 and Parise likely out for the season...

Still I would take Parise over Kovalchuk. I wouldn't even have to wrestle with the decision. I'd take Zach and never look back. He is a far superior 2 way complete player.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Lous comments today about the Devils not in rebuild mode... alluded to chemistry

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Wow you have an answer for everything.

Langs to Dallas for a "conditional 3rd rounder" ??!!

Absolutely Kovalchuk fallout. You're telling us that was Lous plan all along. To trade the Captain midseason for a conditional 3rd round pick? Lol

I wouldn't doubt that Langs despises what the Devils have done by giving up so much of the teams once impressive identity and cap space to Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuks deal is RIDICULOUS. He gets a valued cap hit over the span of 15 years. It's a stupid contract that the team was pressured to make work because Kovalchuk wanted his 100 Million dollars. The NHL has already said there will be no more contracts like this allowed. It circumvents the spirit of the cap, clearly. Of course none of this is Parises fault, but he WILL NOT be afforded the same deal. They can't do it.

This is how the Devils gave Zachs pie to the Kovalchuk. Will Parise still go ahead and sign for less with the Devils than he could get from other teams? I'm just suggesting, perhaps he'll think twice. I know I would.

As for the Parise vs Kovalchuk... well nows probably not a fair moment to make the call considering Kovalchuk has like 10 goals and is a minus 25 and Parise likely out for the season...

Still I would take Parise over Kovalchuk. I wouldn't even have to wrestle with the decision. I'd take Zach and never look back. He is a far superior 2 way complete player.
100% Agreed!

Old
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

5 years at $6.5M with 1 year extra option. dunno if that would be a team or player option though.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's no way Parise is leaving this summer, but we'll all know his intentions based on the contract he signs. If he goes to arbitration and takes a 1 year deal, I'd say he's as good as gone the following year. Coincidentally, that's the year that Drury and Rozy come off the books, though it's also the first year of the new CBA (hopefully), so who knows how much cap space we will actually have.
I would think this as well. You'd have to assume that Lou will try as hard as he can to sign him to a long-term extension this offseason. If he doesn't try, or Zach doesn't sign, that's a lot of writing on the wall. Then, you're reaching the point where it may get to be enough writing where a move from NJ is plausible.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Let the speculation begin.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
"These streets will make you feel brand new...these lights will inspire you!!!"

Old
01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Drool.

The thing is that I can't see the Devils dealing him to the Rangers. So if he does get dealt, it better be out West, e.g., to LA.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
ecemleafs

so parise is arbitration eligible? does that mean he can force a 1 year contract even if the devils dont want that?

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Drool.

The thing is that I can't see the Devils dealing him to the Rangers. So if he does get dealt, it better be out West, e.g., to LA.
To me, this article is essentially LB saying don't lose Parise for nothing. Lou's not dealing him to the Rangers. And, I'm thinking he still doesn't reach free agency.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
To me, this article is essentially LB saying don't lose Parise for nothing. Lou's not dealing him to the Rangers. And, I'm thinking he still doesn't reach free agency.
Whether or not Parise reaches free agency is up to Parise. He can take the one year qualifier or sign a long-term deal.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
"If the 26-year-old winger hits the open market during the summer of 2012, he will become unarguably the greatest player in NHL history to attain freedom at such a young age."

Uh, did LB just forget about Kovalchuk?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:31 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
"If the 26-year-old winger hits the open market during the summer of 2012, he will become unarguably the greatest player in NHL history to attain freedom at such a young age."

Uh, did LB just forget about Kovalchuk?
Parise is a much better player than Kovalchuk.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote