HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival has a ribcage injury

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
DubiDubiDoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Rozy has 13 turnovers in 32 games. Girardi (29), MDZ (23) and Staal (19) all have more. Last year he had 28 giveaways in 82 games (Tyler Myers had 94). 133 dmen had more turnovers than him last year.

Just because you keep saying he's "a giveaway machine" doesn't make him a giveaway machine.

See, the problem with having a bias against a player, is that you are only going to notice when he screws up, or at least, when you perceive that he screws up. Everything you watch is cast into a negative light. Try watching him with an open mind and you'll find he isn't nearly as bad as you make him out to be. I'm not saying he's playing like an allstar, but he makes his share of good plays on the back end.
Poor example though, you cant compare these guys based on # of turnovers and games played. In a given Ranger game I see Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto all touch the puck alot more than Rozsival. He's just to damn slow to the puck and plays a passive game.
Staal, Girardi and Del Zotto play like they want the puck, Rozsival plays like the puck is a hot potato.
Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing as it results in fewer touches and fewer turnovers, but Rozsival was paid to be an offensive defensman. I'll admit he has a ood shot and he's a good passer. For one reason or another though he's just become so indecisive and hesitant when he holds the puck, that now it appears he just moves it the second he has it.

The way I see it, Rozsy's a servicable defenseman right now, I just dont see it lasting, he's on the decline, just like Redden was and why not move him now while he's stil worth something.

To be clear though, I don't think he's terrible, just past the desired return for his bang for the buck.

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 01-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but Roszival is out for tonight's game @ DAL:
Awesome. I'm not saying I'm happy to see Rozy hurt, but I'm excited to see McDonagh play. Makes tonights game more exciting.

Hopefully he scores a goal so we can see an Appreciation Thread and everybody's lovefest for the guy predicting him to be the next big thing.......

Old
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Who's expecting him to?

Being "good" defensively and being a stay-at-home defenseman are not the same thing.
No they are not the same thing but unless you do those things I mentioned you are not good defensively. He is not a stay at home defenseman although with the way he has been playing in the O-zone he might want to consider trying to fill that role. I'm not really sure what your point is? Is it that we shouldn't expect him to win battles in the D-zone because he is supposed to contribute offensively?

Old
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Why not? He was playing good hockey most of the year.
That's a matter of opinion and a function of your standards. I disagree.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Rozy has 13 turnovers in 32 games. Girardi (29), MDZ (23) and Staal (19) all have more. Last year he had 28 giveaways in 82 games (Tyler Myers had 94). 133 dmen had more turnovers than him last year.

Just because you keep saying he's "a giveaway machine" doesn't make him a giveaway machine.

See, the problem with having a bias against a player, is that you are only going to notice when he screws up, or at least, when you perceive that he screws up. Everything you watch is cast into a negative light. Try watching him with an open mind and you'll find he isn't nearly as bad as you make him out to be. I'm not saying he's playing like an allstar, but he makes his share of good plays on the back end.
I have no bias. When he and Malik were our top pair I thought he did a great job and I respect his professionalism. However, those days are long gone. We have a strong defenseman pipeline, no cap room and are not cup contenders. To me this is the perfect time to turn the page and move him. I would argue you have a bias in his favor and are not seeing what others are.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:

if the puck gets dumped into one of my corners and the opposing forward retrieves it because the defenseman either is too slow to get back or lets the forward take it to avoid a hit that should be turnover. Staal has the puck all the time and would get an abundance of turnovers. Rozi never has the puck; he is always chasing it and stick checking to try and jar it loose. there's no stat for this but I am confident that if they could calculate "possessions" by a d-man and then the percentage of turnovers Rozi's percentage would be significantly higher than Staal's. The fact that he rarely has puck possession protects him from a poor turnover statistic. But on a percentage basis I hold that he is a turnover machine.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:

Also I don't think he is "bad", even with the lack of puck possession, just not good enough for the plans we are making. And the contract and cap hit..that speaks for itself.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
That's a matter of opinion and a function of your standards. I disagree.

Hardly just my opinion - its coaches, writers, players - but do your own homework.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I have no bias. When he and Malik were our top pair I thought he did a great job and I respect his professionalism. However, those days are long gone. We have a strong defenseman pipeline, no cap room and are not cup contenders. To me this is the perfect time to turn the page and move him. I would argue you have a bias in his favor and are not seeing what others are.
I see the bad plays, but I see the good ones too. And the truth is, now is not the perfect time to turn the page. We don't have anyone else on this roster or in the system currently capable of playing the minutes he does.

It's very possible that Rozy gets traded in the offseason, but now is not the time to do it.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
No they are not the same thing but unless you do those things I mentioned you are not good defensively. He is not a stay at home defenseman although with the way he has been playing in the O-zone he might want to consider trying to fill that role. I'm not really sure what your point is? Is it that we shouldn't expect him to win battles in the D-zone because he is supposed to contribute offensively?
My point is that I'm not expecting him to Marc Staal. He doesn't play and has never played a style of game where he consistently engages in and wins "physical battles in front of the net", your words.

Just as I don't see him giving pucks away at the rate you claim, I don't see him being consistently mugged in his own zone either. I promise you I will be specifically looking for these things tonight though. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
The way I see it, Rozsy's a servicable defenseman right now, I just dont see it lasting, he's on the decline, just like Redden was and why not move him now while he's stil worth something.
There's only one playoff bound team counting on Rozsival to bolster their depth on defense. The Rangers.

Without Del Zotto, they don't have the depth to part with him. As young as the defense is, I think it would be unwise to carry on without his experience. And for what it's worth, Rozsvial is one of only 2 players on the roster to have been with the team since the lockout (Lundqvist). The guy is a proud Ranger and that's not taken with a grain of salt by the coaching staff and management of the team.

Old
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
At #NYR practice, Tortorella said Rozsival "couldn't get through practice, so I don't think he'll play tomorrow (vs. Mtl)."
https://twitter.com/#!/PeterBotte/st...19140018495488

Old
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Another 10-12 minutes for McD.

Much tougher test for McD with all the speed that MTL has--still few more days of practice the kid hasn't looked that bad in the limited time on the ice.A little nervous in Dallas but played better in St.L lets see what the kids got.

Old
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
NYR Viper

Great opportunity for McDonagh. The kid seemed pretty shaken up that he was traded from Montreal before last season. I would expect he will pretty amped up for that game.

I hope to see him toss Gomez in the corner.

Old
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
asparkoflife

Hopefully McDonagh gives Montreal hell tomorrow.

Old
01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Another 10-12 minutes for McD.

Much tougher test for McD with all the speed that MTL has--still few more days of practice the kid hasn't looked that bad in the limited time on the ice.A little nervous in Dallas but played better in St.L lets see what the kids got.
Kid can handle it...this is the one time I was hoping Rozy could play, so we could showcase him to the Habs!

Old
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
The Habs are a really fast team, we could have really used Rosie's help tomorrow against them.

Oh well, I guess getting McD some more time in the big league isn't that bad either.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I hope McD shows up big tomorrow to prove to Montreal how dumb the Gomez trade was.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:44 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:

maybe you are right but what are not considered giveaways are passes behind players or off target that lead to 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 breaks. Rozi is not one of my favs and cant say if they are better off without him, but they are 8-3 when he doesnt play and that aint terrible.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
The Habs are a really fast team, we could have really used Rosie's help tomorrow against them.

Oh well, I guess getting McD some more time in the big league isn't that bad either.
Yes, because Rozy has great foot speed.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Great opportunity for McDonagh. The kid seemed pretty shaken up that he was traded from Montreal before last season. I would expect he will pretty amped up for that game.

I hope to see him toss Gomez in the corner.
Was he a Habs fan growing up or something? I never read that he was unhappy about the trade. Where did you pick that up from? As an american born I would have figured he'd be happy he moved on to an American team. Not just the Rangers, but an Amercian team in general.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Was he a Habs fan growing up or something? I never read that he was unhappy about the trade. Where did you pick that up from? As an american born I would have figured he'd be happy he moved on to an American team. Not just the Rangers, but an Amercian team in general.
I think he was just shocked to be traded. He had some quotes about it, mostly when talking about his wait and see approach with signing with the Rangers.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

McD, although inexperienced is a far superior skater to Rozi so this is the exact type of team that you would want McD to face in place of a slower Roszival. Other teams if they move the puck quickly like Detroit, Washington, etc. will force McD to make quick decisions and due to his inexperience he may not make the best ones. However, foot speed and agility is where he excels so bring on the Habs.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hardly just my opinion - its coaches, writers, players - but do your own homework.
Torts has been re-souring on Rozi for about a month now. It's not just me and the others who post here. With the way Sauer and Girardi are playing on the right side, Rozi should be getting bottom three minutes on this team. And what if Gilroy continues to improve and impress; then he has no spot at all. I smell trade.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Torts has been re-souring on Rozi for about a month now. It's not just me and the others who post here. With the way Sauer and Girardi are playing on the right side, Rozi should be getting bottom three minutes on this team. And what if Gilroy continues to improve and impress; then he has no spot at all. I smell trade.
Yet Rozi will continue to get top 4 minutes.

You guys are unbelievable with your constant dislike for a player who has been here for quite a long time and has done a nice job. To me, Rozy is part of the group that symbolized the turnaround from futility to respectability. Now he's a part of the team that is going from respectable to contend for the Cup level.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

without blowzy in the lineup we've some how managed to win 2 tough road games against decent opponents. looks like his ibs still arent healed yet.

our defense is stepping up nicely and even i have to admit that mat girl-roy is no longer playing like a... well... like a ...girl. hes been playing very well actually.

lets just dump mike the dufus already.

Closed Thread