HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Langenbrunner (update: traded to Dallas)

Old
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
1. so the flyers did have the cap space to take on langs contract without moving someone off the roster, is this correct?

2. i think the flyers are going to do some interesting thigns by the deadline. walker will be waived, carcillo moved, zherdev possibly waived (more cap space). I see them adding several players most notably a goalie and forward. They are going to go for it this year imo. Ror better or worse, draft picks and prospects (lack there of) be damned.

If zherdev is waived do you think he would refuse therefore making himself free agent?

or does he accept the assigment? would he be claimed on re-entry waivers if recalled?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
We trade Carle and could add a $7mil player?

And $3.6mil just screams Ryan Clowe, he'd be awesome next to JVR and Richards.
Iginla? No in all serious with the way Homer Pursued this I like it I think it would be great to add another strong 2way veteran winger with a bit of grit Clowe Iginla Langs, Cole.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
1. so the flyers did have the cap space to take on langs contract without moving someone off the roster, is this correct?

2. i think the flyers are going to do some interesting thigns by the deadline. walker will be waived, carcillo moved, zherdev possibly waived (more cap space). I see them adding several players most notably a goalie and forward. They are going to go for it this year imo. Ror better or worse, draft picks and prospects (lack there of) be damned.

If zherdev is waived do you think he would refuse therefore making himself free agent?

or does he accept the assigment? would he be claimed on re-entry waivers if recalled?
There are certainly players we could waive/dump that wouldn't hurt this team and open up a bit more space. The real problem is that we don't have any good trading pieces if you really think about it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There are certainly players we could waive/dump that wouldn't hurt this team and open up a bit more space. The real problem is that we don't have any good trading pieces if you really think about it.
There's no way you'd waive Zherdev. A contending team like the Penguins could pick him up for cheap.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

If we utilized our LTIR then we could have fit him I believe. Although once Walker came back we would need to waive him, or someone else.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
you mean wellwood or gustafson dont have great trade value? all those up and coming dman on the phantoms wont interest someone? Are you kidding me!

They have their 1st and Carle or Coburn. Other than that i agree for the most part unless they want to move one of the top 9. I hope every team that has a question in goal, their goalies all of a sudden start to light it up for thier teams 3 weeks before the dealien and continue that pace right up to the deadline.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I'd rather have the 3rd with the chance of it being bumped to a 2nd than a 3rd and 5th. The 5th is nothing.
I thought it was a 3rd plus a conditional 2nd, not a 3rd that can turn into a 2nd?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Let's give him credit now for not overpaying with picks.
A date rapist that accidentally spills the woman's drink while putting in the roofie doesn't deserve credit.

And neither does Homer.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
mypunkrock

Anybody suggesting that giving up our first round pick, Carle, or Coburn, should, in the words of Garfield, "be drug into the street and shot."

We're already crippled for the foreseeable future given limited cap space, injured and aging stars with chronic problems, and limited call-up options.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I thought it was a 3rd plus a conditional 2nd, not a 3rd that can turn into a 2nd?
It's a conditional 3rd that becomes a 2nd if Dallas re-signs Langenbrunner before the deadline.

Who in their right mind would send a 2nd and a 3rd for Langenbrunner? hahaha

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Anybody suggesting that giving up our first round pick, Carle, or Coburn, should, in the words of Garfield, "be drug into the street and shot."

We're already crippled for the foreseeable future given limited cap space, injured and aging stars with chronic problems, and limited call-up options.
I agree... FWIW, I believe that the Flyers, as presently constructed, could contend for the Cup with TDL acquisitions if used wisely... But I do not suggest dipping too deeply into the system to do so.

I really like the attempt to get Langenbrunner, and would like such a move come the TDL... I don't want to break up the core six D-men but have no problem with adding to the available cash by moving Walker and his $1.7M Cap hit with Bart and his $600K as the 7th with Gus and Syvret as call ups... I could live with moving Zherdev and/or Carcillo and maybe, but less, Nodl... Shelley can also, but I don't see that happening -- go figure -- I wouldn't spend too much Cap space nor give up too much resources for a high profile goalie; I honestly believe that Leights and Boosh could have won a Cup last season had Leights had an average Finals... I could see a consistent Boosh and refined Bob doing it with this D and these Forwards. I would however not mind a solid veteran goalie at a fair Cap and cost.

To me it all boils down to the team playing up to their capabilities come postseason and again catching lightening in a bottle... The core players are in place and the coaching and system is there. If Bob pans out to be the real deal and can give a Hextall type rookie postseason, who knows. They are better set at this point than they were this time last season as I see it... And I actually see them being managed well at this point, but expect contention on that point.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I have always and always will say it. The flyers are built for play-off hockey. They always have been. That tough, no nonsense style is perfect for the closer called play-off hockey game. What worries me this year is the power play. It really needs to get going, because its always been a major strength come playoff time for the flyers.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I have always and always will say it. The flyers are built for play-off hockey. They always have been. That tough, no nonsense style is perfect for the closer called play-off hockey game. What worries me this year is the power play. It really needs to get going, because its always been a major strength come playoff time for the flyers.
Unfortunately, they are the 2nd best regular season team since Expansion and a pretty mediocre post-season team unless you get a hard on for SCF losses.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Kaktus*

If Flyers are looking to add a RW Backes, Williams, Stafford, Grier, Cole, Miettinen, Vrbata, Upshall might be available.

I would be intersted in 1st 5.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Backes is not available

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Backes is not available
I said might be.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:06 AM
HoverCarle*

I would be interested in Stafford or Upshall

Old
01-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't know that I'm that worried about the PP in the playoffs yet. Right now, IIRC, we're away and by far the best even strength plus in the league.

In past years, incl. last year, people on here moaned about how we were too PP dependent and didn't do well 5 on 5.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather be good 5 on 5. The PP will be there.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
HoverCarle*

Yeah the PP will heat up eventually. Especially when Pronger gets back

Old
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
I for one am glad shooter showed some restraint and didnt go an overpay. Thats a positive sign for now.
Agreed, especially as Holmgren doesn't have to add anyone to this line-up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Holmgren is just lucky he didnt have a 2nd to deal away

Old
01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I said might be.
He isn't though. With St. Louis being decimated with injuries, he's been a rock for them in addition to already being pretty important. I don't think we'd see Williams become available either.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Holmgren is just lucky he didnt have a 2nd to deal away
It was probably the first thing that came to his mind.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

dont want Upshall. I dont want to part with the 2013 and 2014 2nd round picks

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Phoenix is in the playoff chase, so I doubt they deal him anyway.

Stafford is very interesting though