HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2011 WJC Discussion Thread

Old
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Canada didn't win silver, they lost the gold.

Epic choke job if I ever saw one.
Credit to the Russians for making it back, not the first time in the tournament it's happened. Not many Russian teams come out and have heart and perseverance as two of their biggest qualities, but their big players had it. Canada came out in the 3rd thinking the game was won.

It'll be interesting to see how these kids overcome this, the 2004 team has done well for themselves given that most of them came back the next year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Canada didn't win silver, they lost the gold.

Epic choke job if I ever saw one.
Maybe it was taken away? Russians were coming back in a lot of games in this tournament. In the end losing to Canada in 1st game helped.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Credit to the Russians for making it back, not the first time in the tournament it's happened. Not many Russian teams come out and have heart and perseverance as two of their biggest qualities, but their big players had it. Canada came out in the 3rd thinking the game was won.

It'll be interesting to see how these kids overcome this, the 2004 team has done well for themselves given that most of them came back the next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Maybe it was taken away? Russians were coming back in a lot of games in this tournament. In the end losing to Canada in 1st game helped.
I don't mean to take anything from the Russians, at the end of 60 minutes they played the best hockey when it mattered most and won the game fair and square.

...I just feel the Canadians folded like a cheap suit.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Oh they did. They had the game in the bag, but you're not supposed to play like it's in the bag. They let their foot off the gas and the Russians stole momentum about as fast as you'll ever see any team do it, and Canada could never find it again.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I don't mean to take anything from the Russians, at the end of 60 minutes they played the best hockey when it mattered most and won the game fair and square.

...I just feel the Canadians folded like a cheap suit.
That's Cameron hockey. Get a lead and then go into a defensive shell, instead of continuing to play the style that got you the lead in the first place.

And why the hell he didn't call a timeout after the 2nd Russian goal is a question that can never be answered appropriately.

The Russians deserved the win, but I'm pissed at the coaching from the selection camp to today. Canada left a lot of skill and talent at home, while they took a bunch of 3rd liners to the dance. I don't know if that would have made a difference tonight, but there were a bunch of empty nets missed early in the game, where it may have.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:29 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Wait... what?

A team that had Ryan Ellis as its greatest leader failed to walk away with the gold?

Impossible!

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wait... what?

A team that had Ryan Ellis as its greatest leader failed to walk away with the gold?

Impossible!
Pierre was doing his best to give the Russians credit on the air, but behind the scenes you know his world completely collapsed.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
MsWoof

Better to win silver than bronze but this was a lost gold more than anything. Cameron needed to call a time out much earlier than he did.

And the Russians were taken off their plane this morning for being drunk and disorderly! Love it!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:24 AM
jb**

did the bert man from sweden play well? Or did he have a broken nail or soemthing?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
did the bert man from sweden play well? Or did he have a broken nail or soemthing?
He had another rough game in the bronze match. He looked very tentative I think, not wanting to risk anything with the puck and hesitant in defense.

He wasn't bad in the tournament, but he didn't step up either.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
He had another rough game in the bronze match. He looked very tentative I think, not wanting to risk anything with the puck and hesitant in defense.

He wasn't bad in the tournament, but he didn't step up either.
I felt bad for Bertilsson. It's not easy being the 7th Dman dressed. In the quarter final game, he got one shift. He came back into the D zone to cover nicely for his partner, picked up the puck and made a nice pass up to the centre line to Cehlin, who promptly passed it back into his zone and got picked off. Bertilsson had to chase the guy and got a lame hooking penalty for holding his stick in front of the guy horizontally for .5 of a second. Total crap call as usual. Then he never saw the ice again as far as I can tell.

He got a few more shifts in the bronze game, but not many. He can skate and passes well but it's so hard to tell with so little action. He got beat on the 2 on 1 on the last goal by a nice saucer pass, but the game was over by then anyway.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wait... what?

Impossible!
Before the third period, I was lamenting that the Flyers never had a player on Team Canada.

After the game, I was relieved we aren't saddled with any of those chokers.

Oh how fickle is the hand of fate, and the mind of the fan.....

Seriously, Cameron should have called time out after the first Russian goal, or the second one for sure. They stopped skating.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Before the third period, I was lamenting that the Flyers never had a player on Team Canada.

After the game, I was relieved we aren't saddled with any of those chokers.

Oh how fickle is the hand of fate, and the mind of the fan.....

Seriously, Cameron should have called time out after the first Russian goal, or the second one for sure. They stopped skating.
Cameron should have taken a page out of Lavi's book but he messed up. By the time he called a TO it was too late.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Well the travesty in all of this, is because the tournament is life and death to some Canadians, to the crazy ones those kids come home as a national disgrace, and will never be forgiven.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:24 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Well the travesty in all of this, is because the tournament is life and death to some Canadians, to the crazy ones those kids come home as a national disgrace, and will never be forgiven.
Wrong. From what I've read/seen/experienced, the anger and frustration is directed appropriately. It's not the players Canadians are pissed at. It's the coaching staff and the selection committee.

It's not the players fault that most of the skill was left at home, that the team was built to beat the US (and were exposed badly by Russia's skill and speed), or that the coach is a trap playing, defense is everything, no offensive creativity allowed kind of guy.

Most fans of junior hockey especially know that these are 18 and 19 year old kids who gave it everything they had out there.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Well for starters, it's not life and death, but it is a very fun tournament for us because most people have ten days off work between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day and we love hockey. Nobody is ripping the kids as far as I'm concerned, you're going to get the occasional nutbar that reacts this way but it's no different than the bandwagon jumpers you see on boards like this but most of us understand how things go.

We know they're teenagers and we also understand that sport is sport and crap happens. We're happy they got as far as they did considering there wasn't all that much talent on the team and I think most of us recognize that the coach screwed up by not calling a time out early on, nor are we discrediting the Russian team for not giving up. Full marks to them and in the grand scheme of things, a silver medal isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That's Cameron hockey. Get a lead and then go into a defensive shell, instead of continuing to play the style that got you the lead in the first place.

And why the hell he didn't call a timeout after the 2nd Russian goal is a question that can never be answered appropriately.

The Russians deserved the win, but I'm pissed at the coaching from the selection camp to today. Canada left a lot of skill and talent at home, while they took a bunch of 3rd liners to the dance. I don't know if that would have made a difference tonight, but there were a bunch of empty nets missed early in the game, where it may have.
The one thing that struck me was why Calvin Pickard wasn't playing. I'm not one of those "goaltending is everything!!!" people, but Roy and Visentin looked pretty crappy to me. Pickard is one of best junior goaltenders out there, and yet he stayed in Seattle. Seemed kinda stupid to me.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:43 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
The one thing that struck me was why Calvin Pickard wasn't playing. I'm not one of those "goaltending is everything!!!" people, but Roy and Visentin looked pretty crappy to me. Pickard is one of best junior goaltenders out there, and yet he stayed in Seattle. Seemed kinda stupid to me.
Pickard is one of several goalies that could have been chosen. I agree that neither Visentin or Roy played well.

A whole lot of offensive skill was either not invited to the selection camp (Toffoli from Ottawa is one glaring standout) or was cut (Hishon, Murphy, Nugent-Hopkins) from the team in favour of 3rd line grinders. Every team needs a few of those players around, but not 3 lines worth.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Wrong. From what I've read/seen/experienced, the anger and frustration is directed appropriately. It's not the players Canadians are pissed at. It's the coaching staff and the selection committee.

It's not the players fault that most of the skill was left at home, that the team was built to beat the US (and were exposed badly by Russia's skill and speed), or that the coach is a trap playing, defense is everything, no offensive creativity allowed kind of guy.

Most fans of junior hockey especially know that these are 18 and 19 year old kids who gave it everything they had out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well for starters, it's not life and death, but it is a very fun tournament for us because most people have ten days off work between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day and we love hockey. Nobody is ripping the kids as far as I'm concerned, you're going to get the occasional nutbar that reacts this way but it's no different than the bandwagon jumpers you see on boards like this but most of us understand how things go.

We know they're teenagers and we also understand that sport is sport and crap happens. We're happy they got as far as they did considering there wasn't all that much talent on the team and I think most of us recognize that the coach screwed up by not calling a time out early on, nor are we discrediting the Russian team for not giving up. Full marks to them and in the grand scheme of things, a silver medal isn't the worst thing that could happen.
You guys know, because you're not the crazy ones.

Most of them are probably bangwagon jumpers. Some of them are probably the ones in the past who started rooting against Canada for not taking enough kids from the same league and/or think Canada is the only team capable of winning the tournament.

Old
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Cameron never laced up the skates or let in a soft goal. There's no one that I've spoken with that directly blames coaching for the loss. Anyone who watched Canada smoke the Russians in the opener knew that all they had to do was play 60 hard minutes to win.

They were built to take on the Americans because they were the favorites and IMO the most talented team in the tournament. To say Cameron selected an inferior team after already beating the gold medalist and the favorite and making the final is a little off base IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
You guys know, because you're not the crazy ones.

Most of them are probably bangwagon jumpers. Some of them are probably the ones in the past who started rooting against Canada for not taking enough kids from the same league and/or think Canada is the only team capable of winning the tournament.
I still disagree. I've never known anyone to complain that players from outside the CHL should have been picked, if that's what you mean. If anything Canadian fans complained that American staff didn't pick CHL kids in the past.

I don't think anyone thinks we were the only ones in the tourney. I can't think of one person who thought this team was the favourite. Most figured the US was the team to beat because of the goalie and the large number of returning players. What I would say is I'd never count out any Canadian team at any level because they know how big a deal it is to make any Canadian team and they know how much we as fans follow them.