Flames 1 Canucks 3

Old
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
Can we stop with the rebuild talk please? This team is not last in the league with no signs of improvement.

You have a great coach, a great core of defensemen, and an elite goaltender. If the Flames can acquire one, maybe two more skilled goalscorers this team could make some noise.

Until then, this is what we get
It must not be Sutter, is it someone else in the organization that's the "great coach"?

He should be replaced as soon as possible, based off his comments about their goaltending costing the Flames this game. Obviously his brilliant coaching strategy is to go into overtime tied 0-0 every game and hope for the coin toss.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
"YOU'RE" delusional if you think Edmonton isn't on the right track.
If they were on the right track there would be signs of improvement by now. Still the worst team in the West. Still having the same old problems of no desire and not coming out to play. Chicago's rebuild: 13th -> 10th -> 4th (3rd round) -> 2nd (Stanley Cup)

Edmonton's rebuild... 15th -> 15th -> ???

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Roadrage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
If they were on the right track there would be signs of improvement by now. Still the worst team in the West. Still having the same old problems of no desire and not coming out to play. Chicago's rebuild: 13th -> 10th -> 4th (3rd round) -> 2nd (Stanley Cup)

I think Edmonton will be much more competitive after the All Star break and be pushing Calgary hard. I also have a really sick feeling that the Flames will be looking up at the Oilers next season whether there is a full rebuild or not.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
Quote:

"By now"?!? It's only half way through the season..Take a look at their youngsters. Most are playing in their first season...and using CHI as an example is silly.. how many Toews and Kane have come out of drafts in recent memory? Yeah...give your head a shake.

Edm are going to be just fine.. Cgy on the other hand are going nowhere faster then all of you want to admit.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Your missing his point.

Edmonton has proven nothing. If they win a cup in the next 3-5 years then they did a great job. Right now the are rotting in cellar, just like they do every year. The stink lives on!!

CGY does need a rebuild, but they also have some good players to build around for the future, especially on D. Brodie and Erixon are looking to be good additions to Bouwmeester and Gio. Bourque's in a funk right now, but if he stays healthy he'd provide some vetern leadership and some quality points. I'd love to hold onto Hagman, great work ethic, and he'd put up much better points if he played with some skill.

Offload the old core, keep some mid level contracts, and trade the good trade bait like Tanguay. Ride out the Bouwmeester contract, even though he doesn't earn all his dollars he still brings a lot to the backend and is steady. Do all that and this team could be competitive again without risking it all and going edmontons route. I'd rather keep the positives intact then just throwing in the towel on the entire team.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see no point in hanging onto mid aged players like JayBo and alike if the team is truly going for a rebuild..Either do it right or don't do it at all.

Nobody here really knows what's going to happen, even me, but I wouldn't be surprised if CGY blows it all up and starts from the ground up. Watching the team for the last few games tells me that's what is going to happen. The team has no life, no energy, even the so called core group look as if they have given up.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
saillias

Quote:
"By now"?!? It's only half way through the season..Take a look at their youngsters. Most are playing in their first season...and using CHI as an example is silly.. how many Toews and Kane have come out of drafts in recent memory? Yeah...give your head a shake.

Edm are going to be just fine.. Cgy on the other hand are going nowhere faster then all of you want to admit.
Yes by now. Edmontonians are getting real tired of this and rightfully so. It's not like I ignore what Oiler fans are saying. You are sick of losing and sick of poor efforts.

An example of a successful rebuild is silly? That's how it works. Get high draft picks and hope they turn into superstars. That's also a major part of how Anaheim won the cup. Your rookies don't look any more impressive than Cogliano and Gagner looked when they first started. Still more of the same until proven otherwise.

What's with the phrase "give your head a shake." At you, maybe.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
It must not be Sutter, is it someone else in the organization that's the "great coach"?

He should be replaced as soon as possible, based off his comments about their goaltending costing the Flames this game. Obviously his brilliant coaching strategy is to go into overtime tied 0-0 every game and hope for the coin toss.
Lol so true..... I am not sure which was / is worse the GM or coach.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
GoFlames

Calgary will get out of this if they stink royally and not the Edmonton pattern of finishing 9-11th for what 3 years in a row before finally crashing to 15th last year. Just get it over with and stop the denial (Sutter)

Old
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see no point in hanging onto mid aged players like JayBo and alike if the team is truly going for a rebuild..Either do it right or don't do it at all.
Nobody here really knows what's going to happen, even me, but I wouldn't be surprised if CGY blows it all up and starts from the ground up. Watching the team for the last few games tells me that's what is going to happen. The team has no life, no energy, even the so called core group look as if they have given up.
Give me a break...

Just because the oilers had a team full of crap, doesn't mean calgary should follow suit. We have some key guys to build around. Giordano has captain written all over him. His work ehthic and well rounded game will make him a great replacment for Iginla imo (though you really cannot replace iggy).

Nobody would take on Jaybo's contract without sending crap back. Plus he's been steady, healthy, and good defensivly this year. He's worth more to this team then we would get in return. I have no problem keeping him, because even though he's not worth 7 million, he's been one of our best players this year. If we had any talent up front his point would be better.

I don't want to go full rebuild because it's a huge risk that this team doesn't have to take. Build around the positives and get rid of the old core. Only keep iggy if he wants to stay through the dark days ahead. If we have a GM who makes a few good moves this team could be in good shape sooner then later. But action has to be taken in the next year or two to get good returns for our current assets.

NO!! To a full rebuild.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Yes by now. Edmontonians are getting real tired of this and rightfully so. It's not like I ignore what Oiler fans are saying. You are sick of losing and sick of poor efforts.

An example of a successful rebuild is silly? That's how it works. Get high draft picks and hope they turn into superstars. That's also a major part of how Anaheim won the cup. Your rookies don't look any more impressive than Cogliano and Gagner looked when they first started. Still more of the same until proven otherwise.

What's with the phrase "give your head a shake." At you, maybe.
Don't forget Edmonton's been "rebuilding" for the better part of four years now, with probably another year to go before they're legitimately back in the playoff hunt.

This is what most people advocating for a full rebuild seem to forget; it only happens overnight for very few and very lucky teams.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Don't forget Edmonton's been "rebuilding" for the better part of four years now, with probably another year to go before they're legitimately back in the playoff hunt.

This is what most people advocating for a full rebuild seem to forget; it only happens overnight for very few and very lucky teams.
True, Edmonton rebuilds really every year and then in that blue moon season like 2006 gets into the playoffs then rebuilds yet again. Yeah, the Flames would want to emulate that lol.