HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik hurt more than we think?

Old
01-08-2011, 03:21 AM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Can't wait to make lulz of this thread.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

He's always been a streaky player, look at his game logs with Minny. It's really nothing new, he's a hot or cold player, and when you miss a majority of the season with an injury that affects your skating, you're likely to slump even more.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:32 AM
darko

That groin's gotta be bothering him still. I wouldn't mind seeing him get couple games off just to rest up abit. I wanna think he's struggling but just watching him I get a feeling he's not 100%.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:57 AM
bumrusherer

I hope he is ( well not hope in the bad sense ) because his performances have not been anywhere near to the standard that we expect. And that would be a good reason as for why that is the case.

But then I hope he isnt because the last thing he needs is more injuries to hold him back.

I just think he is going through a slump. As long as he finds some form for the playoffs, I couldnt care less how many points he gets in the reg season.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Loved the way he played vs Carolina, and tonight he is a ghost out there, I don't get it
I do. Carolina is one of the least physical teams in the league. Therefore, Gaborik does well against them. Dallas is one of the MOST physical teams in the league, and, would ya look at that. Gaborik is invisible.

He's playing scared. He doesn't want to get injured, and he doesn't want to get involved in physical play, in ANY way shape or form. It's really frustrating to see your highest paid player coasting because he doesn't want to get hit.

01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
I don't think that he will make it back this year to being 100% healthy. Shoulder surgery takes time on the recoup.
The only problem with your theory is that Gaborik didn't have shoulder surgery (which generally takes months, not weeks to recover from).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
chosen

He was a bad signing and he remains a bad signing. Not Drury-bad, but bad. That great solution to his injury woes seem to be bull.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Off years happen. Cross your fingers that when 2011-12 starts he looks more like the Gaborik from last year than the gaborik from this year.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
gravytrain6t

He misses Prospal (his set up man). He will break out of w e he's going through. Before the start of next season.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
He's always been a streaky player, look at his game logs with Minny. It's really nothing new, he's a hot or cold player, and when you miss a majority of the season with an injury that affects your skating, you're likely to slump even more.
He wasn't out with an injury that effected his skating, he was out with a shoulder injury. According to the official information we've received all year, his skating should be, since the beginning of the season, 100%.

As for Gaborik:

1g 1a in 7-2 win over Isles 12/27
3g 1a in 6-5 win over Isles 12/2
3g 1a in 8-2 win over Oilers 11/14
0g 2a in 5-3 win over Sens 12/9

That's 12 of his 22 points in 4 games. Meaning in his other 24 performances he has 4 goals and 10 points. Those are his only multi-point games of the year, all against teams in the bottom five of the NHL, in games where we scored 5 or more goals.

Edit: Looking at his game log for 06-07 I only saw 12 games he didn't have a point in, out of 48. In 07-08 it looks like he had points in all but 28 games, out of 77. In 08-09 he only played 17 games and last year he had points in all but 27 out of 76. In 05-06 he had points in all but 24 games, out of 65. This year he hasn't had a single point in 14 of 28 games. He's only showing up in half the games he's played in, and what's worse, 7 of his 11 goals came in three games against the Islanders and Oilers. He has 4 goals in 25 other games.

Last edited by Ollie Queen: 01-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
beastly115

I don't think he's 100% but I don't think he's that hurt. He's probably frustrated. The guy is getting some good chances, his shots just aren't finding the back of the net.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
ThisYearsModel

He is skating gingerly. Saw him live twice last week........he has no burst. Bet the groin has not healed.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
NYRCC

i don't know wtf is going on with gaborik...

he's not taking the shots. he had what? 1 shot on net last night in dallas and 2 others that were blocked?

that's not enough, not even close.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I think he's very much a perimeter player. He puts himself in the corners. He makes weak little give and goes that don't achieve anything in terms of territorial advantage in the offensive zone. He often dumps the puck off to a player whose in a worse scoring position than he is. He doesn't like to have the puck on his stick for more than a second or two. If he would settle down and hold on to the puck for a little along the half boards he has plenty of skill to set others up, but he would rather make quick short passes that are often lateral moves at best. Obviously, when you're scoring 86 points this doesn't apply, but he's not the same player right now and I don't think it's because of an injury. I think the Rangers are playing different hockey this season and it doesn't suit Gaborik's game as much. We're very much built to be a puck possession/cycle team, IMO, and Gaborik doesn't play a puck possession game. I just think he's making very weak plays this year.

The poster who said he isn't thinking the game well this season was most accurate, in my mind. I would gladly provide some video to express what I'm talking about if I could, because I think it's a lot easier to point some of it out than to just talk about it, but unfortunately, there's not a lot of youtubes of plays that didn't result in goals or big hits, so it's hard for me to find highlights that exemplify the weak passes and poor decision making that I'm trying to explain.
Not thinking the game well and being a perimeter player are 2 different things.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
He is skating gingerly. Saw him live twice last week........he has no burst. Bet the groin has not healed.
This.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Not thinking the game well and being a perimeter player are 2 different things.
Yes, and Gaborik is guilty of both this season (and they can easily be related). Gaborik is clearly behaving as a perimeter player this year and he makes lateral and weak decisions along the perimeter of the offensive zone but rarely makes a strong move towards the middle of the ice or to get his stick into a shooting position. He insists on trying to set up teammates who are in poor scoring position and does not like to have the puck on his stick. This is my assessment of his play this season. You certainly don't have to agree with it, but you don't have to argue with every post either. I'm not trying to come up with theories to explain Gaborik's poor play here; I'm stating exactly what I see him doing.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Yes, and Gaborik is guilty of both this season (and they can easily be related). Gaborik is clearly behaving as a perimeter player this year and he makes lateral and weak decisions along the perimeter of the offensive zone but rarely makes a strong move towards the middle of the ice or to get his stick into a shooting position. He insists on trying to set up teammates who are in poor scoring position and does not like to have the puck on his stick. This is my assessment of his play this season. You certainly don't have to agree with it, but you don't have to argue with every post either. I'm not trying to come up with theories to explain Gaborik's poor play here; I'm stating exactly what I see him doing.
I do agree with your assessment. It's exactly how he is playing-- however you're suggesting he's playing this way b/c it's his style and he always plays that type of game. As you said, you're not a big fan. I believe it's not his game and his groin is bugging him.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:51 PM
UDnyr92

he's gotta be hurt at least a bit, doesn't seem to have the physical ability currently to be that elite player we are looking for...

even last night he got the puck at the blue line and tried to burn a guy down the boards and crash the net, but never got there. he went around the net, got hit relatively lightly (he's lucky the guy let up on the hit), and gave up the puck. something just isn't right.

i know that's just one play, but it seemed to show everything we've been complaining about

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I also hate when he tries to do the Kyle Palmieri and dangle around 2 d-men instead of just ripping a wrister from the circles.

I don't think i've seen many good wristers from the circles this year, and when he does they're legitimate scoring chances.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
He was a bad signing and he remains a bad signing. Not Drury-bad, but bad. That great solution to his injury woes seem to be bull.

We don't usually agree but I am 100% in line with this one. He earned his paycheck last season, no one can argue that. But it was an insanely risking contract and given the history of his entire career, he is bound to miss games and play at less than 100% health for large stretches.

I don't get upset about this one though because it is almost a guarentee that if we didn't sign Gaborik we would have traded for and re-signed Kovalchuk just like the Devils.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Problem might possibly be his groin, but to me it's his shot.

Remember when he had the puck in the high slot against Carolina and got the shot away? He shot it right into Ward. How many times did we see him do that last year? Practically none. Something is wrong with his shot. It might be his shoulder.... it might be confidence. I don't know.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
MaximusT

Just an off year if you ask me,he seems to be having a lot of bad bounces and can't finish on plays that seem to be sure goals.
For example, in the Carolina game when AA wired him that ill pass when he was staring at an empty net, and he just put it wide. Just on plays like that, last years Gaborik wouldve put it in. But what's frustrating is how he'll just dissappear for a stretch of games, only to come back and have a wicked game (Carolina) put up a ton of shots, play extremely hard, only to run into a hot goalie.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:39 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Decision making or not, no speed or not...he isn't moving his feet as much nor is he getting off good shots. Those two are the keys to his game. His feet/legs and his shot are the dynamics of Gaboriks game. A groin issue will hamper that the same way it hampered Forsberg towards the end of his career in the NHL.
Fosberg's issue was his ankle.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
satrabyk

He hasent been a 100% 1 game since haven been on the Rangers. There is a defenite issue here. If he is hurt he should not be playing and rest for a hopeful playoff push were he is expected to play hard without beign cautious and worrying about injury. I am tired of seeing him play so cautious and really hampers the other players as well. Its not a good role model when ur best player is avoiding and possible contact. I personally think the shoulder is sensitive by his motions out on the ice. To those of you saying he is not thinking the game properly imo are out of your mind. The fact that he is playing in a fragile state is not thinking, but to actually somewhat contribute with a poor shoulder or what not you have to have a pretty good mind for hockey which imo he does. He is 1 of the smartest players i have ever seen.

Last edited by satrabyk: 01-08-2011 at 07:32 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:35 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
He wasn't out with an injury that effected his skating, he was out with a shoulder injury. According to the official information we've received all year, his skating should be, since the beginning of the season, 100%.

As for Gaborik:

1g 1a in 7-2 win over Isles 12/27
3g 1a in 6-5 win over Isles 12/2
3g 1a in 8-2 win over Oilers 11/14
0g 2a in 5-3 win over Sens 12/9

That's 12 of his 22 points in 4 games. Meaning in his other 24 performances he has 4 goals and 10 points. Those are his only multi-point games of the year, all against teams in the bottom five of the NHL, in games where we scored 5 or more goals.

Edit: Looking at his game log for 06-07 I only saw 12 games he didn't have a point in, out of 48. In 07-08 it looks like he had points in all but 28 games, out of 77. In 08-09 he only played 17 games and last year he had points in all but 27 out of 76. In 05-06 he had points in all but 24 games, out of 65. This year he hasn't had a single point in 14 of 28 games. He's only showing up in half the games he's played in, and what's worse, 7 of his 11 goals came in three games against the Islanders and Oilers. He has 4 goals in 25 other games.
That proves my point, you have to be a pretty smart player to be able to take adv of weaker teams.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote