HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash to LA?

Old
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

vCash: 500
the other thing with atlanta is you have an already fickel fanbase that is transient and doesn't support any of the sports teams there...

couple that with the only hott ticket being the hawks and the playoff falcons...the thrashers need to wait in line...oh and they're the only major team in atlanta to not make the playoffs in the last calendar year...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Every Monday afternoon, I do a 4 hour new hire orientation. Lately we have up to 20 people being hired each week. And every week, I ask if anyone knows who Rick Nash is? Maybe 10% of people know who he is. About 25% know there is an NHL franchise in Ohio. .
... OR it could be that your trainees hate that "raise your hand if you..." game. Lots of adults, and those outside of third grade refuse to join that clever group participation tactic.

... and in general, not pointed at you Blitz, I am simply cautioning that outward emotion doesn't necessarily indicate what fire burns inside a player. Ala the RJ for captain movement.

If that is the best indicator, after the stick breaking on the goal, head pounding with his own stick demonstrations, Jake should have been named captain, No?

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
... OR it could be that your trainees hate that "raise your hand if you..." game. Lots of adults, and those outside of third grade refuse to join that clever group participation tactic.

... and in general, not pointed at you Blitz, I am simply cautioning that outward emotion doesn't necessarily indicate what fire burns inside a player. Ala the RJ for captain movement.

If that is the best indicator, after the stick breaking on the goal, head pounding with his own stick demonstrations, Jake should have been named captain, No?
About 24% of US Adults have no interest in sports at all.
Only slightly more than 12% (1 in 8) are fans of NHL hockey.
Given that, those results are plausible but not a failure of awareness. In fact, the Columbus DMA routinely ranks in the top 10 in U.S. TV viewership for big hockey events.

The problem is the people who know the CBJ exists also know we suck.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
About 24% of US Adults have no interest in sports at all.
Only slightly more than 12% (1 in 8) are fans of NHL hockey.
Given that, those results are plausible but not a failure of awareness. In fact, the Columbus DMA routinely ranks in the top 10 in U.S. TV viewership for big hockey events.

The problem is the people who know the CBJ exists also know we suck.
But we have Rick Nash.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:25 PM
blahblah

And to think there was a time that mentioning trading Nash would get you some massive hate.

Nash appears to be in one of his patented slumps. Earlier in the year he look determined.

I'd trade him for an elite center or a true #1 puck mover. But I would have done that two years ago.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

If you think that is all its about, I dont' think you're paying attention.

In our ill-fated playoff run, who had 3 goals in 4 games?

On nights when this team is clearly mailing it in, who is the guy that still goes out there, and works his ass off to make plays on ever shift? A perfect example was earlier this week against Phoenix. The team got down and was slumping its shoulders. On most shifts there was minimal effort. Umberger scores a goal and suddenly there's some life back in the team.

Umberger is the one guy that I know is going to give it his all every shift because he has professional pride. Most of the rest of these guys? Not so much. If fans of this team don't see that fine--lets' have Howson trade him to a team that contend and see what happens.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Umberger is the one guy that I know is going to give it his all every shift because he has professional pride. Most of the rest of these guys? Not so much. If fans of this team don't see that fine--lets' have Howson trade him to a team that contend and see what happens.
RJ is probably our easiest player to trade that will get us the greatest return. For exactly the reasons you've been saying. In all honesty I'd rather trade Nash then RJ, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Howson move RJ. It's the easy thing to do.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19309
Quote:
... OR it could be that your trainees hate that "raise your hand if you..." game.
I don't think so. Mostly a group of welders, maintenance, machinists and assemblers, men in their 20's and 30's. These aren't shy people and they are in the age demographics CBJ should be reaching. I'd venture to guess they know darn well who Votto & Palmer is, and we are just as close to Columbus as we are Cincinnati. CBJ has never marketed themselves west of Marysville. From Cincinnati to Toledo, the state of Ohio doesnt care. Rick Nash and Steve Mason could walk down Main St in Celina Ohio and no one would know who the hell they were.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Main St in Celina Ohio and no one would know who the hell they were.
And Palmer and Votto could walk past me at Easton and I'd have no clue...

Old
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
RJ is probably our easiest player to trade that will get us the greatest return. For exactly the reasons you've been saying. In all honesty I'd rather trade Nash then RJ, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Howson move RJ. It's the easy thing to do.
Yeah. Although, God help us with this bunch of schmoes in the lockerroom sans RJ. They'd probably start planning what bars they want to go to after the game in the midst of a 2-0 loss.

I thought about this the other day--how scary is it going to be if this team sends away a guy like RJ, and loses Clark and Moreau in the off-season? Who steps up to be the stabilizing force on a team filled with that many young guys? Even the Hawks had guys like John Madden last year. This team really does have very few veteran leaders.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19309
Quote:
And Palmer and Votto could walk past me at Easton and I'd have no clue...
They certainly couldnt do that around here. And seriously, if you don't understand how poorly CBJ has marketed themselves to the state outside the 270 beltway, then don't argue just to argue.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
They certainly couldn't do that around here. And seriously, if you don't understand how poorly CBJ has marketed themselves to the state outside the 270 beltway, then don't argue just to argue.
I'm not arguing to argue. I take exception to your claim that the fact that CBJ players could walk through a small town in western Ohio as evidence that the CBJ marketing has failed. I'm not defending their marketing, I'm just saying it's not a valid "test".

Seriously, in the building I work, NO ONE would recognize any Ohio sports figure outside of the Buckeyes. (and about 25% would recognize Nash... maybe)

Not being facetious, just calling it like it is from where I sit. Same as you are doing.

Old
01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If you think that is all its about, I dont' think you're paying attention.

In our ill-fated playoff run, who had 3 goals in 4 games?

On nights when this team is clearly mailing it in, who is the guy that still goes out there, and works his ass off to make plays on ever shift? A perfect example was earlier this week against Phoenix. The team got down and was slumping its shoulders. On most shifts there was minimal effort. Umberger scores a goal and suddenly there's some life back in the team.

THIS

Umberger is only piece I would have a problem with moving. Right now, this guy is worth his weight in Gold to this team.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Agreed, RJ is easily the heart and soul of the Jackets.

(And possibly the only guy with heart, but that's another story.)

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Yeah, this is a great idea. Trade the one marketing piece Columbus has. Don't we already have enough trouble selling tickets? Smh..

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Doug19

I'm all for trading Nash for the right guy. A guy like Malkin would be perfect, and if we could keep Brassard, you can then tell Brassard he is now a winger, and he is now a shooter, and no longer a playmaker. The dude has a great wrist shot, he needs to think shoot first.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yeah, this is a great idea. Trade the one marketing piece Columbus has. Don't we already have enough trouble selling tickets? Smh..
Look at Season Ticket sales, he sure doesn't seem to be helping us there.... I'm sure we can get someone else to do the Haydocy commercials.

Barbeque away, but....

What has Nash really done FOR this franchise?

Scored a lot of goals, hasn't helped us win in the Playoffs. I'd argue Nash has done more to educate Columbus about Adult Illiteracy and Cars than he's accomplished on the ice.

Yes, I went there.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 01-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
kellymiller

There are maybe 6 teenage girls in the entire Metro Columbus Area who go to see the Jackets only because Rick Nash is on the team.

There are thousands of people who don't go because they gave up on a franchise that sucks monkey balls.

Sports fans gravitate towards nondescript winners with no superstars. Columbus would be no different.

kellymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymiller View Post
There are maybe 6 teenage girls in the entire Metro Columbus Area who go to see the Jackets only because Rick Nash is on the team.

There are thousands of people who don't go because they gave up on a franchise that sucks monkey balls.

Sports fans gravitate towards nondescript winners with no superstars. Columbus would be no different.
Have to agree. I think Nash's star/draw power is wildly overrated. Face of the franchise doesn't mean 'jack when the franchise is consistently mediocre. (at best)

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote