HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We win AND JGRB is going streaking!

Old
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Nidema

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
With the way Carey Price is playing goal? It's quite farfetched.
Really? Because we are 100% sure Price will keep up his current level of play right?

Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the biggest Price fans. I think many guys here will attest to that.

It's just difficult for me to see Price keep up stellar play for 2 to 3 months to end the season with the amount of work load we give him. You saw what happened in December when Price was mediocre and Gorges was still on the team.

Look I'm not saying we should tank tank tank and that's it. but if we're going into the playoffs missing our top 2 d and Cammy (which might have been the scenario during the game given that there were early reports that he had a broken wrist), it might be a better long term choice to just let the season run its course, not spend assets/picks/prospects to acquire new players and use a good pick to retool.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The entire Bruins/CBC TV crew must be on suicide watch. Glad I wasn't one of the bandwagon members here posting how we were going to lose.... wait, can we make a list of those people and put it out for display?
Well I don't think I said we would lose even though I believed it. I only commented that Picard sucks and Darche's shot when Hammer put it right on his stick in the slot

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Poor Goliath. Your end was foretold in the Old Testament.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:59 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
One lucky undeserving win doesn't change that.. The Habs still sucked for the most part but hopefully this outcome will light a much needed fire under them...
Lucky and undeserving...I don't know, we outshot them 42-29 and 18-something in the third. If anything, I give them credit for the comeback, and for overcoming the odds.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Rutabaga

Picard-Wisniewski : Never again.

I hope that Martin will give Weber a chance, and put back Spacek on the left.

He could have 3 solid pairs, even without a proven shutdown one and i prefer that instead of having a bottom-pair so weak defensively.

Wisniewski was not very good defensively, more than 3.5M$ for him, that would be a mistake, i think, as we have Subban and Weber behind.

Gomez was on fire, he might be frustrating, but his skating was impressive.
Pacioretty seems ready...Subban, playing alongside Gill, thats a good thing for him, he was very good tonight.

And some may be angry with Martin but overall, the team is playing with a lot of fire.
They came back 3 times against Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Boston were ahead, but we've won both games, they never give up.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Poor Goliath. Your end was foretold in the Old Testament.
Tomorrow's headline: "Habs' Davids lay biblical beating on Goliath and the Bruins"

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IRON JELLY*

Cammy's not injured. He left the game with the flu, according to CBC's I-Desk.

IRON JELLY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Really? Because we are 100% sure Price will keep up his current level of play right?
Yes.

I don't see any reason not to believe that Price can't play 70 games and still attain a .920 save percentage and an under 2.50 GAA. Not only that, but Gauthier still has room to make adjustments on the roster. It honestly depends on our top six. We can focus all we want on our blueliners but if the pucks don't go in, there's no use. This team can be carried by Price. Epecially carried to a record better than what would qualify as lottery pick. You really think the Leafs and Senators would finish with a better record than us?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Lucky and undeserving...I don't know, we outshot them 42-29 and 18-something in the third. If anything, I give them credit for the comeback, and for overcoming the odds.
Quoted for truth, we all watched the same game and we outplayed them for one and half period plus the OT

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Yes.

I don't see any reason not to believe that Price can't play 70 games and still attain a .920 save percentage and an under 2.50 GAA. Not only that, but Gauthier still has room to make adjustments on the roster. It honestly depends on our top six. We can focus all we want on our blueliners but if the pucks don't go in, there's no use. This team can be carried by Price. Epecially carried to a record better than what would qualify as lottery pick. You really think the Leafs and Senators would finish with a better record than us?
Did you miss December? His SV% was under .900 for that month and couldn't cover our mistakes and what was our record that month? What if that version of Price shows up again? How are you so sure that won't happen?

And like I said, if Cammy was out long term, our top 6 would take a huge blow which would be disastrous to a team already starved for goal scoring. With Carolina so close to us, it's really not farfetched to see us be in a lottery pick position. It wouldn't even be as a result of us tanking, just a function of us not having good enough firepower to consistently give Price run support of 2 to 3 goals a game.

Again, my original post was a bad choice of words thanks to the emotion and frustration at the time with the score compounded with Cammy's uncertain status. I don't condone intentionally tanking (trading away roster players and playing AHL guys) to get a high pick. But my point was that if Cammy is out long term, we might be in the running for a high pick whether we want to or not.

You do realize that by saying it is farfetched, you're saying that it's highly unlikely that we will pick high with Cammy, Markov and Gorges out and Price plays well. I honestly would not have been surprised to see us pick top 10 if Cammy was out long term. Of course, not that he's most probably not, it probably won't happen.

Last edited by Nidema: 01-08-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
sheed36

I don't know about anyone else but I thought Lucy was pretty much invisible tonight and a non factor for the Bruins tonight.. Now that I think about it Crycji was pretty invisible as well..

Last edited by sheed36: 01-08-2011 at 10:14 PM.
sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:09 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Give props to Ryder and his boneheaded penalty.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:11 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
A player that acts like he did, with a C on his chest is ridiculous. If your captain doesn't know how to lose like a man, you have some problems

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me if 30 of these shots came from far out and easy saves for Thomas.. The Habs might have outshot them but hardly outplayed the Bruins for the majority of the game..The Habs did play a very good 3rd and didn't quit but did get 2 lucky goals to tie it up in the end..

Old
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Damn, I turned to the Colts-Jets game and missed the comeback

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I agree with you 100%. You have to forgive some posters who have never played a sport at a competitive level before. Can you imagine the message tanking would send to our current group of players who are busting their ***** despite missing so many key players? Can you imagine the message it would send to potential free agents? They'd avoid us like the plague. This is not a video game or a pool....this is for real. Tanking would be suicide.
As someone who was pro tanking 2 seasons ago (before the signing of Cammy, Gionta and the Gomez trade), I fully agree with you.

I still believe our chances of winning a cup would have been greater if we had rebuilt the team instead of going that route, but what is done is done and we have to hope this team can do it.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Craig71

For once it seems that lady luck was on our side. I however feel that we desperately need offensive help. CBC said that we were the lowest scoring team within playoff contention. The lack of goals we score is based on lack of size and being able to get to the front of the net and create offense. Most of our shots come from the outside with very little threat of a goal. I wish we had a big offensive gritty forward, this would make a vast difference in our game. I am enjoying the last two wins but I am also seeing us struggling to make it between 6-8th spot in the east with our smallish forwards. Carey Price can only do so much for us, we need some help.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me if 30 of these shots came from far out and easy saves for Thomas.. The Habs might have outshot them but hardly outplayed the Bruins for the majority of the game..The Habs did play a very good 3rd and didn't quit but did get 2 lucky goals to tie it up in the end..
Well, you can go here and check for yourself, of course. I only see 10 or 12 shots from farther out than the top of the circles, but we all know that only a couple of the Habs no how to get in front of the net before the puck flies in there, and that usually makes it easier on the goalie.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
For once it seems that lady luck was on our side. I however feel that we desperately need offensive help. CBC said that we were the lowest scoring team within playoff contention. The lack of goals we score is based on lack of size and being able to get to the front of the net and create offense.
No, lack of goals is due to lack of puck luck. There's no evidence that the Habs' shots are lower quality than any other teams' (per scoring chances counts, anyway, which track high-quality attempts) and the Habs are one of the league's best teams at generating shots. The problem is what happens once the puck leaves shooters' stick, which the shooter has little control over. The Habs lack opportunism, keep running into hot goalies, whatever -- the reason the puck isn't going in is because the shots aren't going in. Thankfully, we know from experience that this sort of thing tends to be transient and solve itself over time.

This Habs team spends more time attacking than defending -- something no Habs team in the decade has done (not even the 2007-2008 club). It's not a world-beater, but it's very good. And despite an absurdly bad December where they lost way more games than they deserved to, they're still on pace for 96 points -- a total that I expect to see increase given their level of play. I think they're better than the Bruins. I think 3rd in the conference is a realistic goal.

This kind of team is something we haven't seen in a good 15 years, so we (as in fans and media) are having trouble recognizing it and understanding what it means. But we have a genuinely good team for once, let's enjoy it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else but I thought Lucy was pretty much invisible tonight and a non factor for the Bruins tonight.. Now that I think about it Crycji was pretty invisible as well..
hahaha
you destroyed his spelling

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
True, the Habs shoot a lot from the outside, have a hard time creating scoring chances and don't score a lot, mainly because most goals are scored on second efforts.

But the shots total indicate that we dominated from a certain point on. Even with 7 minutes left. That's plenty of time to score 2 goals, honestly, even if most teams(and their fans) have usually given up by then. Tonight they didn't, and rallied for their first win of the season when they trail after two periods. I see it as a positive thing.

We really padded Thomas's stats though.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
And what is one "iffy" young player going to do? And how are a team of pro athletes going to tank? No team tanks, and if they do it would take more than one season, that's for sure.
Again, you didn't read my new post.

I clarified by saying that I don't think we shouldn't intentionally tank but would be in a position to pick high if Cammy is out long term. Is that really farfetched?

Old
01-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
hahaha
you destroyed his spelling
yet the pronounciation remains!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, you can go here and check for yourself, of course. I only see 10 or 12 shots from farther out than the top of the circles, but we all know that only a couple of the Habs no how to get in front of the net before the puck flies in there, and that usually makes it easier on the goalie.
I didn't figure it was as many as 30 shots but Thomas did have quite a few very easy saves tonight with no traffic in front of him at all..

Old
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Darche should get credit for the first goal. He was the last hab to touch it. Once again, he had a solid game.

Since the habs won, there probably wont be any changes, but I'd really like to see weber playing and picard sitting.

Anyways, exciting finish and always good to see the bruins lose.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote