HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
BTW (and I'll play devil's advocate here), let's not take anything away from UMD. They won both games in OT.

That said, I think Wisconsin should be able to bounce back in the CHS versus Michigan and MSU. I wouldn't underestimate either of these teams. And I wouldn't expect those teams to underestimate Wisconsin or Minnesota either. Officiating aside, let's look at what needs to be done. Since this is the Badgers thread, I'll give my two cents on what Bucky needs to do to sweep this coming weekend.

First off, I'd like to see more secondary scoring. It can't always be Smith, Murray, Zengerle and Mersch upfront and Schultz and Gardiner on the back end on the scoresheet. I think guys like Turnbull and Dolan could (and should) pick up their game and contribute more.

Michigan has got a lot of depth (what else is new?) and they're getting scoring from all over. But their main weapon is speed. I saw Michigan vs. LSSU over the weekend and the most blatant mistake that the Lakers were making IMO was that they gave the Wolverines WAY too much skating room. If Wisconsin can take away Michigan's time, and especially space, this will bode well for them.

MSU isn't deep, but they do a great job of taking away lanes and blocking shots. This is where I think Wisconsin could have an advantage because the Badgers (in most of the games that I've seen thus far this year) do a good job of creating space, particularly just inside the offensive blueline. We all know that Wisconsin has some good point shooters and if they can take advantage of the space that they create, that can result in more shots and potentially more goals.

Thoughts?

Old
11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

BTW, let me add that I echo Rabid's sentiments about Comley. He is one of the most pleasant coaches that I speak with year in and year out. My respect for him went up exponentially (sp?) when he dismissed (albeit temporarily) Corey Tropp a couple of years ago. Anyone remember that? He held Tropp accountable for his actions and did what he felt needed to be done. I'm sure that it was anything but pleasant for Comley to do that, but then it looked like Tropp got the message because of how well he played last season.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Gonna disagree with on the best coach after York. I would put York,Berenson,and Blais in a category by themselves. After those 3 I'm not to sure who follows.
Red and Deaner are great coaches, no doubt. I make the case for Comley since he won a title with lowly Northern Michigan and had maybe the 4th or 5th best talent in the tourney when Sparty won it under him. Red has had the best talent flow of any program (the NHL is littered with Wolverines). I take nothing away from him, talent doesn't win by itself...I'm just wondering if he could have taken Bowling Green (York) or Northern (Comley) to an elite level. York and Comley are the only coaches in the NCAA to win titles with different teams.

I have a harder time arguing against Blais: true he took over after Gino laid the groundwork to be a perenial contender in Grand Forks, like Comley had the good fortune to follow Ron Mason. Blais has been great at Omaha as well. Mike Kemp worked hard to build up the program but I don't think he could run it like DB is right now. It's a mostly subjective debate since each guy mentioned has had pretty enviable success. I'd be happy with any of them behind the Badger bench, no doubt.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-22-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
BTW (and I'll play devil's advocate here), let's not take anything away from UMD. They won both games in OT.
True, UM-D got the job done. You cant deny that they had the win on Friday handed to them though.

Quote:
That said, I think Wisconsin should be able to bounce back in the CHS versus Michigan and MSU. I wouldn't underestimate either of these teams. And I wouldn't expect those teams to underestimate Wisconsin or Minnesota either. Officiating aside, let's look at what needs to be done. Since this is the Badgers thread, I'll give my two cents on what Bucky needs to do to sweep this coming weekend.

First off, I'd like to see more secondary scoring. It can't always be Smith, Murray, Zengerle and Mersch upfront and Schultz and Gardiner on the back end on the scoresheet. I think guys like Turnbull and Dolan could (and should) pick up their game and contribute more.

Michigan has got a lot of depth (what else is new?) and they're getting scoring from all over. But their main weapon is speed. I saw Michigan vs. LSSU over the weekend and the most blatant mistake that the Lakers were making IMO was that they gave the Wolverines WAY too much skating room. If Wisconsin can take away Michigan's time, and especially space, this will bode well for them.

MSU isn't deep, but they do a great job of taking away lanes and blocking shots. This is where I think Wisconsin could have an advantage because the Badgers (in most of the games that I've seen thus far this year) do a good job of creating space, particularly just inside the offensive blueline. We all know that Wisconsin has some good point shooters and if they can take advantage of the space that they create, that can result in more shots and potentially more goals.

Thoughts?
IMO, if the Badgers play well, dont turn the puck over a lot and the goaltenders dont give up a lot of soft goals; they should able to take at least 2 points this weekend.
If they play like they did against UM-D, they should have a very good chance of taking 4 points this weekend.

Old
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...112410aad.html
Quote:
Wisconsin women’s hockey head coach Mark Johnson announced the signing of four student-athletes to National Letters of Intent. Katy Josephs (Calgary, Alberta), Karley Sylvester (Little Falls, Minn.), Blayre Turnbull (Stellarton, Nova Scotia) and Katarina Zgraja (Waterloo, Ontario) plan to attend the University of Wisconsin and play hockey for the Badgers beginning in the 2011-12 season.

“Overall, I think our recruits are very good students,” Johnson said. “All have had opportunities to play at a high level in their age group in the under-18 program. They’re all very skilled. When you put those things together, that’s why we are all excited about having them come in. They have the same aspirations, and they’ll be a good fit for what we’re trying to do.

“This class as a whole will be able to come in and make an immediate contribution. They’re going to have to, that’s why we’re recruiting them. They are going to be freshmen but they are going to get a chance to play and help win some games, so that should be exciting.”
Quote:
Sylvester is a 5-9 forward out of Little Falls, Minn. She currently plays for coaches Derrick Comstock and David Marvin at Warroad High School and enters her senior season as a three-time varsity letterwinner. As a junior, Sylvester led the Warriors to a 28-1-1 record and the Minnesota Class A state title. A three-time all-conference honoree, Sylvester was named all-state by the Minnesota Girls Hockey Coaches Association as a sophomore and junior.

Sylvester’s international hockey experience includes participation in U.S. national development camps. As a member of the U.S. women's under-18 select team, Sylvester and Team USA swept Canada in three-games at the 2010 Women's Under-18 Series in Lake Placid, N.Y. Sylvester scored the game-winning goal in overtime to give the U.S. a 3-2 win in game two of the series.
Sylvester should be a great additon to the team. Someone who played on a team that had a 28-1-1 record, won the class A state championship, lettered 3 times, was named all-state by the MGHCA 2 years in a row and was a great played on the U.S. U-18 team is nothing to sneeze at.

Old
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
RabidBadger

Pretty good weekend taking 3 out fo 4 points...particularly battling back from being down 2-0 against Michigan. Points against the Wolverines never come easy. that was an impressive display of offense from the blue line with Schultz getting the hat trick and Gardiner nearly getting a hat trick Friday night. Those guys are among the better backliners in the conference, if not the NCAA (they are 1st and 2nd respectively in points leaders in the NCAA) and they showed what they bring to the table this weekend. When Wiercioch decomitted from UW I said when Justin Schultz comes on board he will make Badger fans say "Patrick who"?

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-28-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old
11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Badger36

Im happy with 3 points. I was in DC this past weekend and wasnt able to attend either game, but some of my coworkers attended the games and it was pretty clear that Michigan State wasnt much of a challenge.

Old
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Badger36

Also, this past weekend the Badger women split their series with UM-D; which isnt bad.
UM-D is no slouch and were infact ranked #1 at the start of the season.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...113010aad.html
Quote:
Junior defenseman Jake Gardiner's six-point weekend and sophomore defenseman Justin Schultz' five-point weekend and hat trick in the College Hockey Showcase earned the duo weekly WCHA honors this week. Gardiner shares the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week award, while Schultz is the WCHA Defensive Player of the Week.

Old
12-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...120410aab.html
Quote:
The Badgers (7-7-3, 3-6-2 WCHA) fought until the final seconds against Alaska Anchorage, but were ultimately undone by a late Seawolves goal with only 8.1 seconds left in regulation. Alaska Anchorage (5-8-2, 4-6-1 WCHA) finished with a 31-22 edge in shots in a game that was even until the bitter end.
Close game, but UA-A managed to make 1 more play than the Badgers did.

Old
12-05-2010, 08:06 AM
RabidBadger

That was more like it last night, although they sure didn't make it easy on themselves. AA was due for a win on Bucky, I don't think they've beaten UW in about 4 years. They do play pretty tough at home and are better than most people thought this year. Shyiak's teams are always ready to give you a gritty game.

Justin Schultz is a wrecking machine...nuff said.

The women had an interesting night as well hanging 3 goals on NoDak before holding on for a 4-3 win. I see Cornell is keeping the #1 ranking warm for The Badgers.

Old
12-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Badger36

Shots on goal and converting on powerplays made all the difference last night.
UA-A always plays tough, especially when they are at home and Im OK with a split.

Old
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...120710aab.html
Quote:
USA Hockey announced on Tuesday that sophomore defenseman John Ramage (St. Louis) is one of 29 players and one of 10 defenseman named to the preliminary roster for the U.S. National Junior Team that will take part in a pre-tournament camp from Dec. 17-23 in Tory, Rochester, Jamestown and Amherst, N.Y. The 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship runs Dec. 26 through Jan. 5 in Buffalo, N.Y.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:35 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
I worry about our chances in defending the Gold: it takes 3 Badgers on the team to win a Gold Medal... '96 World Cup: Suter, Chelios, Richter. '04 Juniors: Likens, Suter, Dowell (Mike Eaves as head coach!). '09 Juniors: Stepan, Gardiner, Ramage (Oz as asst. coach)...GOLD! The 1980 Olympic team only had 2 Badgers but Suter and Johnson counted as 1.5 players each.

On a serious note...congrats to Ramage making the cut on a pretty stacked team. He is unheralded...kind of like his dad. If you see see the old tapes of the older Ramage with the Flames the similarity is pretty freakish. As a d-man, I really appreciate their style.

Old
12-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
The WCHA is well represented.That of course does not surprise me.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Badger36

Bucky managed to get a sweep against Bemidji State this past weekend. It wasnt exactly pretty but they got the win and thats all that really matters.
I was at the game on Saturday and it was just a really sloppy game. They turned the puck over a lot, made a lot of bad passes and werent able to cash in on a lot of scoring opportunities.
The score could have easily been 7-0 instead of 2-0.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Bucky managed to get a sweep against Bemidji State this past weekend. It wasnt exactly pretty but they got the win and thats all that really matters.
I was at the game on Saturday and it was just a really sloppy game. They turned the puck over a lot, made a lot of bad passes and werent able to cash in on a lot of scoring opportunities.
The score could have easily been 7-0 instead of 2-0.
Good sweep, but I wouldn't take BSU lightly. They swept UNO and pulled off a tie with UMD earlier in the year. I know that Bucky doesn't see BSU again during the regular season, but should they happen to meet in the post season, don't be too surprised that BSU comes out swinging.

That said, one thing I was happy to see was that it wasn't just Smith and Zengerle putting up all the points upfront. I saw that Podge netted a couple and (if memory serves me correctly) Dolan and Mersch also netted one as well. And that only helps the team, especially since Smith, Zengerle, as well as Schultz and Gardiner already have targets on their backs for obvious reasons.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:11 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Good sweep, but I wouldn't take BSU lightly. They swept UNO and pulled off a tie with UMD earlier in the year. I know that Bucky doesn't see BSU again during the regular season, but should they happen to meet in the post season, don't be too surprised that BSU comes out swinging.

That said, one thing I was happy to see was that it wasn't just Smith and Zengerle putting up all the points upfront. I saw that Podge netted a couple and (if memory serves me correctly) Dolan and Mersch also netted one as well. And that only helps the team, especially since Smith, Zengerle, as well as Schultz and Gardiner already have targets on their backs for obvious reasons.
Yeah, it looked like the Beav had awoken during the UNO series, so I'll gladly take the points. It makes Bucky .500 in conference play. Matt Read is a heck of a player.

Secondary scoring has been a problem all year, especially after Dolan's production started to tail off. Derek Lee really needs to step it up; he has way too much skill to not be producing week after week. Tyler Barnes has been pretty good and his game is coming along. Mersch has potential to be a real beast next year. Schultz, the next 1st team All American from the program, can not be stopped, merely slowed down! It's like Big Chief said above; these guys are finding their game and quite connecting right now. They're already decent and should be very tough when they do gel.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Badger36

Quote:
I wouldnt be too worried about BSU. Unless they had a really bad game on Saturday, I see little reason to be worried about playing them.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Badger36

Looks like the Badgers had a good weekend. The men swept Massachusetts 5-1 and 4-2 and the ladies got 2 wins in the Easton Holiday Showcase by beating Northeastern 7-2 and Mercyhurst 7-4.
I was visiting relatives in NE Wisconsin for the past week and a half, but was able to watch some of both the mens' games and they looked pretty dominant over UMass. (which you would expect)
Also, the women took over the#1 ranking in the polls.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...010311aaa.html
Quote:
The University of Wisconsin and its men’s hockey program will honor 2010 Hobey Baker Memorial Award-winner Blake Geoffrion on Friday, Jan. 7 prior to its game against Canisius. The game, at the Kohl Center, begins at 7 p.m.
Gates open for the evening at 6 p.m. Geoffrion will be available for a limited amount of autographs between 6 and 6:30 p.m. at a table near section 111 on the Kohl Center concourse.

A Hobey Baker poster giveaway courtesy of Suttle Straus will run both for Friday and Saturday’s games.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...010511aab.html
Quote:
Following a pair of victories over No. 4 Mercyhurst and No. 10 Northeastern in the Easton Holiday Showcase last weekend, junior forward Hilary Knight (Sun Valley, Idaho), senior defenseman Anne Dronen (Chaska, Minn.) and freshman forward Madison Packer (Birmingham, Mich.) have earned all three Western Collegiate Hockey Association player of the week awards for the week of Jan. 5.
Knight was named Offensive Player of the Week, Dronen named Defensive Player of the Week and Packer was named Rookie of the Week. Nice job, ladies!

Old
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Badger36

Another interesting event for those who are interested:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...22110aaa.html#
Quote:
Mark your calendar for Sunday, Jan. 16 and Wisconsin hockey’s annual ‘Skate with the Badgers.’

Follow the Wisconsin women’s hockey game against St. Cloud State, which begins at 2 p.m., the men’s and women’s hockey teams will welcome the public to the Kohl Center ice.

First up is the women’s hockey team, which will skate from 4:30 p.m. until 5:15 p.m.

The men’s team will skate from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m., in sessions.

Participating skaters must bring their own skates for both the men’s and women’s skates. Only those with skates will be allowed on the ice, however those without skates will still be able to interact with the student-athletes and coaches in an area with the glass removed.
This is usually a fun event where fans get the chance to interact the players. I mean, the chance to skate on the Kohl Center rink alone is pretty cool (thats the main reason Im going! Last year I skated on the outdoor rink at Camp Randall for the Camp Randall Classic and it was a very cool experience).

Old
01-08-2011, 10:27 PM
RabidBadger

Finally! An OT win! I know it was just Canisius, but I'll take it. The game wasn't even close and should have been decided in regulation, but Brett Bennett made the game interesting even though the Badgers outshot the Griffs 53-23 in that game. Maybe it was the fates saying it was time to seize the elusive OT victory. I think it's been 4 years now since the last one. Maybe the floodgates have opened and UW can pay back Duh-luth with a couple **ll-busting OT wins in their barn next week.

Old
01-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Finally! An OT win! I know it was just Canisius, but I'll take it. The game wasn't even close and should have been decided in regulation, but Brett Bennett made the game interesting even though the Badgers outshot the Griffs 53-23 in that game. Maybe it was the fates saying it was time to seize the elusive OT victory. I think it's been 4 years now since the last one. Maybe the floodgates have opened and UW can pay back Duh-luth with a couple **ll-busting OT wins in their barn next week.
First overtime win in 4 years? Wow your boys were due. Going to be an interesting weekend coming up with your guys up against the dogs and the Sioux take on the goofs. Love this time of the year.

Closed Thread