HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Realistic signings!

Old
01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
vetleh

vCash: 500
Realistic signings!

I read many think Richards and Parise is unlikely to end up i Rangers because of cap space and young guys coming up etc. But who is likely to join Rangers in the summer? Either traded or signed as free agents. And who will get new contracts and who will get traded away or get their contracts ripped a part?

Does torts like any particular players?
sorry if my english was bad!

vetleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I sincerley doubt anyone realistically thinks Parise becomes a Ranger any time soon. Richards is very possible that he reaches UFA. Other than that I see a very quiet summer from us. It's Richards or bust, not gonna grab the second best forward out there. Maybe re-sign Fedotenko and either Eminger or another vet defenseman but that's about it.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:03 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Well Torts DOES like Richards. I still don't know if it's realistic or not, though.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Rangers44*

If Richards is there, they likely go for him and buy out Drury. We really could use a top playmaker.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:13 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Swapping Drury for Richards would be huge.

Sadly, it is not likely.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

There are a LOT of veteran defensemen who will be hitting FA this summer, which should bring the market value down, and this could be a good time for us to get a solid veteran d-man for cheap. This would mean that trading Rozy at the draft is an even bigger possibility, since we could add experience in the form of a gritty #3-5 D-man for cheap, and thus the loss of Rozy isn't felt at all.

Personally, I like Vandermeer as a bottom pair d-man, but depending on how things shake out, we may even be able to get someone like Jovanovski or Brewer for a couple years at a reasonable price (3 million per). Pitkanen is also an option if we don't end up blowing our load on Richards. He'd fit in nicely with the rest of our D. There are really a LOT of options though, I was just looking at the FA-to-be list of d-men for this summer.

As far as forwards, I think we're pretty set with Kreider and Grachev both challenging for a spot, and the likely return of Fedotenko. There isn't much room nor a need to be signing even bottom 6 forwards, but of this FA crop, I really like Mike Rupp. He's done a great job for the Penguins the last season and a half. He's huge, physical, smart with the puck, can fight anyone, and he's versatile. I'd love a fourth line of Prust Boyle Rupp. This would become more of a reality if Boogard ends up retiring due to post-concussion syndrome.

As far as top 6 forwards, it's really Richards or nothing. Stay far away from Semin. Stay far far away from Gagne, Kovalev, and Connolly. We'll be fine if we don't land Richards, and it'll mean we have lots of money to solidify our D, and have room at the deadline to add a major piece if we're in a position to contend.

Regardless of if we sign Richards or not, I still think Rozy should probably be moved at the draft for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The only thing that hinges on Richards is really whether or not Drury is going to be bought out. If we don't sign Richards, we won't have a need to be some drastic and buy out Drury. We can just let his contract expire and then have 7 million dollars of space opening up just from one player the following offseason.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Que the why we need richards, how we get him, and how getting him is a realistic option posts.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I officially decree with my self-proclaimed powers that there will be NO discussion of Brad Richards in this thread.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Rangers44*

If they want to be Cup contenders, they have to buy out Drury and sign Richards.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
vetleh

Yes, let's not take the whole Richards talk on this thread who would you guys want to replace rozi? and why not semin? just asking, prob stupid thou

vetleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't know about signing him but I would love to look into picking up Pitkanen for the remainder of the year. Not sure what the price would be, but I'd probably give up a pick (maybe a first) and reasonable prospect. I think Pitkanen, healthy Rozsival, Eminger, Sauer, Girardi, Staal and MDZ (Gilroy as an extra) is a pretty serious defense for a playoff push this year, especially in front of Hank. Roll 7 dmen. No need to carry 12 forwards with that defense, IMO. If Pitkanen looks good here I'd see what his asking price is, especially if we can move Rozy at the draft or Drury gives us the gift of retirement or is bought out.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
no way Parise signs here. i'd usually be down to hope we sign Richards or Parise or someone big but honestly i love the team we have. when Cally gets back were gunna have 2 amazing top lines. ill be happy with little moves like Avery, White, rosy, Gilroy and bringing in Kreider

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:40 PM
mucker*

Rangers will have cap space to sign Richards.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Rangers will have cap space to sign Richards.
You. Silence. No Richards.

I say no to Semin either.

Old
01-08-2011, 11:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
You. Silence. No Richards.

I say no to Semin either.
Tell Washington to keep their Semin away from us.

The thing about Semin is that I think he's a tremendous talent and a great complimentary player, but Gaborik isn't enough of an offensive force for Semin to ride shotgun with. I just don't think he can be a true primary offensive threat and that's what he'd be here. If he could play here the way he's shown he's capable of in Washington, I wouldn't mind him... at the right price (and he's sure to end up overpaid anyhow, another reason I say NO), but I don't believe he would be able to match that kind of production at all and the signing would become one that we'd regret. He could look nice with Anisimov, sure, but I think without Ovie to hold him down(they're also very good friends) he would disappoint.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:14 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Tell Washington to keep their Semin away from us.

The thing about Semin is that I think he's a tremendous talent and a great complimentary player, but Gaborik isn't enough of an offensive force for Semin to ride shotgun with. I just don't think he can be a true primary offensive threat and that's what he'd be here. If he could play here the way he's shown he's capable of in Washington, I wouldn't mind him... at the right price (and he's sure to end up overpaid anyhow, another reason I say NO), but I don't believe he would be able to match that kind of production at all and the signing would become one that we'd regret. He could look nice with Anisimov, sure, but I think without Ovie to hold him down(they're also very good friends) he would disappoint.
for semin i think it's caps or bust...bust being the KHL.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id be interested in Richards ONLY on a cap friend deal more particularly the years. otherwise, i dont want us to sign anyone but our own ppl and hand more spots over to our kids.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
for semin i think it's caps or bust...bust being the KHL.
I don't care where the Semin busts as long as it's not on the Rangers.

01-09-2011, 02:51 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Richards is the ONLY free agent I have any serious interest in. Maybe a cheap veteran defenseman like Hejda, but I imagine he'll get overpaid this summer. A veteran winger like Sullivan or Kovalev (not that that would happen) wouldn't be a terrible idea if the price was right.

As far as big names go, Richards or no one.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleh View Post
I read many think Richards and Parise is unlikely to end up i Rangers because of cap space and young guys coming up etc. But who is likely to join Rangers in the summer? Either traded or signed as free agents. And who will get new contracts and who will get traded away or get their contracts ripped a part?

Does torts like any particular players?
sorry if my english was bad!

Please no signings this summer. Just wait one more summer. We will clear over $20 million in cap space this and next year. Some of it will go to pay raises for RFAs and for salaries for rookies who'll replace guys like Prospal, Frolov, Christ, Feds, Avery, Rosie, Gilroy, etc.

But we should have $12-15 under the cap, more if the cap increases, which it should.

By the summer of 2012, our rookies and sophomores will matures, and some more prospects will make the Rangers.

Only then will we know who else we need to add.

And by then, we should be a contender, so overpaying a UFA will actually make sense.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:46 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Please no signings this summer. Just wait one more summer. We will clear over $20 million in cap space this and next year. Some of it will go to pay raises for RFAs and for salaries for rookies who'll replace guys like Prospal, Frolov, Christ, Feds, Avery, Rosie, Gilroy, etc.

But we should have $12-15 under the cap, more if the cap increases, which it should.

By the summer of 2012, our rookies and sophomores will matures, and some more prospects will make the Rangers.

Only then will we know who else we need to add.

And by then, we should be a contender, so overpaying a UFA will actually make sense.
2012's free agent pool is not all enticing (especially outside of d-men. the best forwards are penner and hemsky ). the right move is to act sooner rather than later, without making dumb moves. richards is an elite talent. if he's available you do what you have to make that happen.

and it's never a good idea to overpay any UFA, regardless. and paying a lot for one player doesn't necessarily mean overpaying. drury/gomez at 7+ = overpaid. richards/gaborik at 7+ = proper value

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
2012's free agent pool is not all enticing (especially outside of d-men. the best forwards are penner and hemsky ). the right move is to act sooner rather than later, without making dumb moves. richards is an elite talent. if he's available you do what you have to make that happen.

and it's never a good idea to overpay any UFA, regardless. and paying a lot for one player doesn't necessarily mean overpaying. drury/gomez at 7+ = overpaid. richards/gaborik at 7+ = proper value
exactly.

there's often too much extremism on this board.

sometimes it feels like half the board is "NO SIGNINGS! BE PATIENT! YOUTH ONLY! WE'LL BE CONTENDERS IN A FEW YEARS THEN WE MAKE A MOVE!"

This isn't practical. Even the best teams (outside of the Wings) often only have a very small window of being a real contender and the chance of winning it all. We're already a lot closer than some of you realize. Adding Richards, cutting some fat, and maybe adding a gritty 3-5 d-man who has playoff experience would put us over the top to the point where we could very well challenge the penguins and flyers over a 7 game series.

Then there's the other extreme of those who want to sign every sexy name that ever becomes available or is even mildly rumored to be potentially available. This doesn't work either, as seen in the dark ages (97 - lockout). But it especially doesn't work in the capped league.

Best case scenario is:

a) Sign Richards this offseason (something like 5-6 years, 7-8 million per)

b) Buy-out Drury or hope that he does us a favor and retires.

c) Trade Rozy at the draft for a 2nd or 3rd.

d) Sign an affordable #3-5 veteran d-man.

Jovanovski, Lidstrom, McCabe, Markov, Hamrlik, Hannan, Kaberle, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Rivet, Salo, Phillips, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff, White, Staios, Wallin, Sopel, Vandermeer, Gill, Hejda, Huskins, Stuart, O'Brien, Montador are all set to hit UFA.

Personally, like Vandermeer, Jovo, Phillips, Kaberle, and Pitkanen for our team. Kaberle, Phillips and Pitkanen are probably out of our price range if we sign Richards, but they're still worth consideration. Pitkanen is only 27. Feels like he's been in the league a lot longer than that. But I'd be very happy with a Vandermeer signing for 2 years @ 2 mil per or Phillips for 3 years, 3.5 mil per.

e) Do not sign any new forwards other than Richards. Bring back one of Prospal / Fedotenko (looking to be Feds at this point; sad because I love Prospal and wish he could be a part of our continued growth and progress as a team. I hope he somehow is a part of it when we win the cup ^_^ - We must leave at least 1-2 spots for Kreider, Grachev, Thomas, Bourque, Hagelin, Werek to battle for. I think it'll come down to Kreider, Grachev, and Hagelin for the spot (assuming there's only one forward position available).

f) There's a small chance Boogard retires due to post concussion syndrome. I don't want to wish this on him at all, as he seems like a good guy, even though he can't skate or do much of anything. I hope he returns for his own sake, but being objective, it would be convenient if his salary came off the books due to retirement. If so, I think Mike Rupp is a fantastic option. Prust-Boyle-Rupp would be one of the best fourth lines in the league. I love Rupp's game. Size, physicality, can fight anyone, can score, plays a sound defensive game, and is quietly very smart with the puck. He'll likely be re-signed by the Penguins, though. He does an excellent job for them and why would he want to leave that team? They seem like they have a lot of fun together and he's always going to have a chance to win the cup there.

g) Be happy! This is the first time in a long time that we've had so much to be happy about, so many good stories in one season, such a tight team, such a young team, such a defined identity and gameplan. Ladies and gentlemen, we HAVE turned the corner.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:46 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I can't speak for the OP, but I think we're trying to speculate about realistic (or reasonable, if you prefer) FA options. We have over 9000 Richards threads already, do we need to pollute this thread with more of that?

Old
01-09-2011, 04:51 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I think we're trying to speculate about realistic (or reasonable, if you prefer) FA options. We have over 9000 Richards threads already, do we need to pollute this thread with more of that?
Sorry, but AFAIC, you can't have such a discussion without talking about Richards. Richards will be far and away the top priority in free agency for this team if he's available, which is still quite possible, and any other signings that do or do not occur will only be acted upon once Richards is or isn't signed somewhere.

Besides, if we're being realistic, it's probably a mistake for the Rangers to sign anyone other than Richards, except for some very minor depth player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Sorry, but AFAIC, you can't have such a discussion without talking about Richards. Richards will be far and away the top priority in free agency for this team if he's available, which is still quite possible, and any other signings that do or do not occur will only be acted upon once Richards is or isn't signed somewhere.

Besides, if we're being realistic, it's probably a mistake for the Rangers to sign anyone other than Richards, except for some very minor depth player.
My concerns with Richards are these:

1) If we sign Richards we're suddenly in a very tight spot with our RFAs. Someone could swoop in and offer sheet Dubinsky, especially since Redden still affects our summer cap.

2) How much longer can we reasonably expect Richards' prime to last? He'll be 31 in May. How many more 90+ point seasons do you think he has in him? If he's going to be a ppg player or better for close to the life of the contract, then I'm a lot more interested than if he only has another couple years of this in him.

3) Tangentially, I really don't want to have to buy out Drury if that's what it comes down to. We're so close to having him come entirely off the cap. I'd hate to prolong his presence on it.

I am not against bringing in Brad Richards, but we have to be smart about how we do it.

Last edited by Zil: 01-09-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote