HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who else...

Old
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
. This is my last post about it. But, we didn't trade him at the deadline because we told him, 'Get us to the 2nd round and you will stay. Otherwise, we can't afford you' -- fact.
that makes sense in that context, and have no reason to doubt that was said.

But I still dont see how they could have kept him at anything approaching 4 milllion for more than 2 years, max, so it may have been that even if they had made the 2nd round we couldnt have met his needs in terms of years.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
that makes sense in that context, and have no reason to doubt that was said.

But I still dont see how they could have kept him at anything approaching 4 milllion for more than 2 years, max, so it may have been that even if they had made the 2nd round we couldnt have met his needs in terms of years.
i think if he were to have signed here, it would have been 3-4 years, not the two years. this would have done a few things to the team tis year and the next few.

1) parent wouldn't have been here, thus sob and his salary wouldnt be here.
2.) no need for bouliion to be back.

our defense would be much like it was last year. with sulzer and franson the third pair.

and moving into future years, sulzer would be gone after this year, and klein soon after making room for blum and ellis. it is if ellis, blum, and josi all were nhl ready in 2 years we would have had an issue. but by then i would think franson would be a nice trade asset since i would hope the improvement in his game would warrant a 3-4 million dollar contract and we would just continue to work cheap vets and rookie deals into 3 of the 7 defense contracts

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yes, we saved 1M on Lombardi...
We saved $1 million on Lombardi THIS year (actually less when you consider paying a replacement player). Arnott is a FA after this year; Lomardi still has $7m on his contract.

The Lomardi situation wasn't easily predictable, but it has turned into a worst case scenario. We're paying out 3.5m a year for nothing, and get no insurance relief. I assume his insurance situation was a big reason he wasn't given a longer-term deals. For the most financially limited team in the league, it's just another contract that we aren't getting near our money's worth, and it handicaps us for making other moves.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We saved $1 million on Lombardi THIS year (actually less when you consider paying a replacement player). Arnott is a FA after this year; Lomardi still has $7m on his contract.

The Lomardi situation wasn't easily predictable, but it has turned into a worst case scenario. We're paying out 3.5m a year for nothing, and get no insurance relief. I assume his insurance situation was a big reason he wasn't given a longer-term deals. For the most financially limited team in the league, it's just another contract that we aren't getting near our money's worth, and it handicaps us for making other moves.
If it came down to it, we could buy him out

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

The more and more The Devils suck the better that Arnott trade looks. We could end up with basically another 1st round pick (31st).

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
If it came down to it, we could buy him out
This franchise can't afford to buy players out.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
This franchise can't afford to buy players out.
we cant, but if its true that his contract is uninsured and if it reaches a point where it looks like he will never come back, that would be the right thing to do because it would not only decrease the payout it would sread it out over more years.

however those are two big and as yet unconfirmed conditions..

Old
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
we cant, but if its true that his contract is uninsured and if it reaches a point where it looks like he will never come back, that would be the right thing to do because it would not only decrease the payout it would sread it out over more years.

however those are two big and as yet unconfirmed conditions..

Cooper confirmed that the contract is not insured. http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Cooper confirmed that the contract is not insured. http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/
ouch.

well, a buyout still makes no sense financially unless he wont be back next year either.

edit: and I really dont think you can buy out an injured players contract in the first place, can you?

Old
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Now what I want to hear...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

It was a risk. Remember the risk taken on Sully because of his back and insurance. If anything, I think the only player with a long IR stint who might be covered with insurance, (Why am I thinking of the Aflac Duck?) is Tootoo. O'Reilly's contract was too small to insure, Sully's back, Lombardi's head.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote