HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who else...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
  #51
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
. This is my last post about it. But, we didn't trade him at the deadline because we told him, 'Get us to the 2nd round and you will stay. Otherwise, we can't afford you' -- fact.
that makes sense in that context, and have no reason to doubt that was said.

But I still dont see how they could have kept him at anything approaching 4 milllion for more than 2 years, max, so it may have been that even if they had made the 2nd round we couldnt have met his needs in terms of years.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
  #52
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
that makes sense in that context, and have no reason to doubt that was said.

But I still dont see how they could have kept him at anything approaching 4 milllion for more than 2 years, max, so it may have been that even if they had made the 2nd round we couldnt have met his needs in terms of years.
i think if he were to have signed here, it would have been 3-4 years, not the two years. this would have done a few things to the team tis year and the next few.

1) parent wouldn't have been here, thus sob and his salary wouldnt be here.
2.) no need for bouliion to be back.

our defense would be much like it was last year. with sulzer and franson the third pair.


and moving into future years, sulzer would be gone after this year, and klein soon after making room for blum and ellis. it is if ellis, blum, and josi all were nhl ready in 2 years we would have had an issue. but by then i would think franson would be a nice trade asset since i would hope the improvement in his game would warrant a 3-4 million dollar contract and we would just continue to work cheap vets and rookie deals into 3 of the 7 defense contracts

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
  #53
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yes, we saved 1M on Lombardi...
We saved $1 million on Lombardi THIS year (actually less when you consider paying a replacement player). Arnott is a FA after this year; Lomardi still has $7m on his contract.

The Lomardi situation wasn't easily predictable, but it has turned into a worst case scenario. We're paying out 3.5m a year for nothing, and get no insurance relief. I assume his insurance situation was a big reason he wasn't given a longer-term deals. For the most financially limited team in the league, it's just another contract that we aren't getting near our money's worth, and it handicaps us for making other moves.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
  #54
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We saved $1 million on Lombardi THIS year (actually less when you consider paying a replacement player). Arnott is a FA after this year; Lomardi still has $7m on his contract.

The Lomardi situation wasn't easily predictable, but it has turned into a worst case scenario. We're paying out 3.5m a year for nothing, and get no insurance relief. I assume his insurance situation was a big reason he wasn't given a longer-term deals. For the most financially limited team in the league, it's just another contract that we aren't getting near our money's worth, and it handicaps us for making other moves.
If it came down to it, we could buy him out

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
  #55
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
The more and more The Devils suck the better that Arnott trade looks. We could end up with basically another 1st round pick (31st).

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
  #56
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
If it came down to it, we could buy him out
This franchise can't afford to buy players out.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
  #57
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
This franchise can't afford to buy players out.
we cant, but if its true that his contract is uninsured and if it reaches a point where it looks like he will never come back, that would be the right thing to do because it would not only decrease the payout it would sread it out over more years.


however those are two big and as yet unconfirmed conditions..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
  #58
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
we cant, but if its true that his contract is uninsured and if it reaches a point where it looks like he will never come back, that would be the right thing to do because it would not only decrease the payout it would sread it out over more years.


however those are two big and as yet unconfirmed conditions..

Cooper confirmed that the contract is not insured. http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
  #59
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Cooper confirmed that the contract is not insured. http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/
ouch.

well, a buyout still makes no sense financially unless he wont be back next year either.

edit: and I really dont think you can buy out an injured players contract in the first place, can you?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
  #60
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Cooper confirmed that the contract is not insured. http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/


Now what I want to hear...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
  #61
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,685
vCash: 500
It was a risk. Remember the risk taken on Sully because of his back and insurance. If anything, I think the only player with a long IR stint who might be covered with insurance, (Why am I thinking of the Aflac Duck?) is Tootoo. O'Reilly's contract was too small to insure, Sully's back, Lombardi's head.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.