HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jack Johnson agrees to extension (7 years, 4.36 Million Avg)

Old
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
funky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I'm impressed with Jack. He gave up his chance at the lottery and gave the Kings a very modest deal.
this

He followed in the footsteps of our captain, hopeful this ends the stupid selfish rumors. Great deal on both sides.

Next

- sign Doughty
- fire Murray

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Doughty shouldn't be making that much more IMO. Btw, that was a nice long bomb by Jack to JW.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Doughty shouldn't be making that much more IMO.
Agree. Will be interesting what number Doughty ends up at.

Jack has been the better player this year, anyway.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Doughty shouldn't be making that much more IMO. Btw, that was a nice long bomb by Jack to JW.
Great deal for JJ and the Kings and I am looking for a 5 year 25 million for Doughty

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Agree. Will be interesting what number Doughty ends up at.

Jack has been the better player this year, anyway.
Maybe Jack should be Doughty's agent.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Awesome news. I honestly thought he'd end up elsewhere and be one of those players that kills the Kings.

Also, Matt nailed this one. It's odd, he gets a TON wrong but then once in a while he nails something right on the money.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:35 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Great news from the Kings and Jack Johnson.You could tell during the interview he was thoroughly happy with the deal and that all he now has to focus on for the next 7 years is winning a championship. That Kings tattoo going to look pretty good for the next 7 years.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:23 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I always thought he would bolt for Detroit, but he is locked up as a King for a long long time.

Simmonds and Doughty are next.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Love the deal, friendly cap hit, great for both parties. Now if we can get Doughty and Simmonds locked up as well I will be a very happy Kings fan.

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kopitar's quote is the best so far:

Quote:
"Good for him. Seven years," Kopitar said. "What's most important is that I'll get a free dinner out of it I hope."

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:10 AM
William H Bonney

Lombardi quotes are up on the signing...

Quote:
"First, the player had no problem doing a six-, seven- or eight-year deal. That’s very unusual these days, that players, at that stage of their career, will commit to a franchise. He was very sincere about that from day one, and stuck to it. A lot of guys will say it at the beginning and then back off, thinking there will be greater riches down the road. So once we had a player who was committed to that long of a structure, we could go ahead."
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/01/09...ct/#more-10743

Johnson has always been committed to the Kings.

01-09-2011, 03:47 AM
BringTheReign

Way to go DL! JJ has gotten better every year, and easily would have commanded a higher cap hit on the open market.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:58 AM
dabeechman

One thing about Jack is that he is furiously loyal to his team. First it was Michigan, and apparently now it is LA. I am a little surprised that he decided to stick with LA given some of the past history with DL, but I don't see how anybody could say this is a bad deal.

What a great guy, and in a couple years this is going to be a steal. Johnson is such a dedicated guy and if anybody is going to continue to excel and round out their game...it is easily Johnson.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Jetteroheller

This is awesome news! Great to see JJ locked up for such an exceptionally reasonable contact!

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:31 AM
CBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Atta Boy Matt

I have been getting pm updates from him for the past few weeks, Matt was all over this one and has been pretty consistent this year in as far as what he does anyone can be. Matt's a solid guy and an asset to our boards in my opinion. Like him or not the guy brings plenty of talk around here and doesn't get half the credit he deserves in my opinion.

GREAT deal/signing by DL. Great Job.
Much appreciated Tonelli. It was exciting to break and to bring some much needed good news to Kings fans.

Now, if I can only get a trade rumor right!

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
How will Herby feel about his boy being locked up for seven years? Change his mind about Dean?
I am very happy tonight that the Kings committed to JJ and JJ committed to the Kings. I give Lombardi credit for locking up his 1B defenseman for a very very long time at a fair deal for both parties involved. This is the type of deal and term other teams have been giving their young star players and it's nice to see the Kings follow suit.

I don't know where you get this idea that I think everything the guy does is awful. I have said before he has made many nice deals and later round draft picks. It's not like I think he can do no right.

Anyways, can now go ahead and order the Johnson jersey, wanted to get it awhile ago but always had the feeling my heart was going to be broken like with Visnovsky and Cammalleri.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Shellz

Thanks again CBGB. I might not take you serious more than half the time. But, I do give credit to who it deserves.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
...Hopefully this should finally end all the conspiracy theories and maybe allow some posters to really rethink a lot of the garbage about Jack, and his intentions, that was thrown around here for awhile. None of it has proven to be true.
As great and fun as they are, the worst thing about the age of messageboards and blogs is all it takes is one person to make a false rumor and it can totally snowball, and I think thats what happened with JJ. Someone on a site (probably LGK) made a post with these KHL, 6 mill a year, Jack's dad is a control freak, wants to be a Red Wing etc. And it totally snowballed and became fact in many Kings fans minds.

The same thing happened with Cammalleri, where it's to the point where most Kings fans think Cammalleri didn't want to play in LA which is 100% untrue. But it's been posted over and over again that many take it as fact now. Just like the rumors that Cammalleri was going to go play in the CHL and leveraged Taylor for $$. The worst part about that is Cammalleri wanted to return for his senior year and was pressured to sign with the Kings. Yet this rumor was posted as fact by some on this board as a reason that he was greedy.

I am not in any kind of loop with Kings news. But I wonder how many of these multiple rumors about Simmonds and Doughty's partying, Simmonds hating Johnson, Bernier's bad attitude etc are just more ridiculous and false rumors like the ones that have been previously spewed about Johnson and Cammalleri.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:00 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Reaction from Johnson (audio)

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Snap 5-Game Skid With Sloppy 6-4 Win Over Columbus

Includes reaction from Jack Johnson, who signed a seven-year contract extension on January 8.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:29 AM
timmeh

Maybe now, on NHL11 he won't leave after first season and ask for 7 million and 7 years...

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:45 AM
joneboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Maybe now, on NHL11 he won't leave after first season and ask for 7 million and 7 years...
This.

That is a nice contract, and really made my day
Thank you DL!

joneboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Thanks again CBGB. I might not take you serious more than half the time. But, I do give credit to who it deserves.
This.

He does seem to get internal things right quite often.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi
In Jack’s case, I don’t have any doubt that he’s not going to get complacent on us. That’s always your fear, when you step up for a young player, that he’s going to go, `Well, I’ve got it made,’ and stop trying to be the best he can. I have the utmost confidence, in terms of Jack, that this is not going to happen. If anything, it’s going to make him more confident, and drive harder. That’s the other thing that allows you to step up.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/01/09...nson-contract/

This now allows the Kings to give Doughty a 2 or 3 year deal at a lower cap hit and keeps him hungry. I have some doubts about Doughty's commitment to be a pro. You don't see Jack taking the fitness test twice, Jack is commited to improve himself. I don't see that from Doughty yet and now there is no reason to sign Doughty long term on his second contract.

Dean and Jack deserve a lot of credit in getting this done. Jack taking a discount on his UFA years and Dean for committing to a 7 year deal.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Scrivezina
Need Another Cup

YAY Jack! Very happy with this deal.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Scrivezina
Need Another Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
agreed

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote