HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic signings!

Old
01-09-2011, 07:17 AM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Correct me if I am wrong on this. If Paraise files for Abortration this summer, and then gets his 1 year contract awarded to him, will he be a UFA after the 2011-2012 season?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Moocowman

Crosby.

Moocowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocowman View Post
Crosby.
I actually lul'd.

And, OT, you ever listen to Cooper Temple Clause? I only bring them up because you have Oasis in your avy and they are WAY better than Oasis, imo. Edgier and a little less "alternative".

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
haha ahhhh with all the Semin jokes. i was actually told over the summer not to even use his name in my user tag. i got like 8 infractions because of Semin jokes. now theyre urrrveryywhere.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
exactly.

there's often too much extremism on this board.

sometimes it feels like half the board is "NO SIGNINGS! BE PATIENT! YOUTH ONLY! WE'LL BE CONTENDERS IN A FEW YEARS THEN WE MAKE A MOVE!"

This isn't practical. Even the best teams (outside of the Wings) often only have a very small window of being a real contender and the chance of winning it all. We're already a lot closer than some of you realize. Adding Richards, cutting some fat, and maybe adding a gritty 3-5 d-man who has playoff experience would put us over the top to the point where we could very well challenge the penguins and flyers over a 7 game series.

Then there's the other extreme of those who want to sign every sexy name that ever becomes available or is even mildly rumored to be potentially available. This doesn't work either, as seen in the dark ages (97 - lockout). But it especially doesn't work in the capped league.

Best case scenario is:

a) Sign Richards this offseason (something like 5-6 years, 7-8 million per)

b) Buy-out Drury or hope that he does us a favor and retires.

c) Trade Rozy at the draft for a 2nd or 3rd.

d) Sign an affordable #3-5 veteran d-man.

Jovanovski, Lidstrom, McCabe, Markov, Hamrlik, Hannan, Kaberle, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Rivet, Salo, Phillips, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff, White, Staios, Wallin, Sopel, Vandermeer, Gill, Hejda, Huskins, Stuart, O'Brien, Montador are all set to hit UFA.

Personally, like Vandermeer, Jovo, Phillips, Kaberle, and Pitkanen for our team. Kaberle, Phillips and Pitkanen are probably out of our price range if we sign Richards, but they're still worth consideration. Pitkanen is only 27. Feels like he's been in the league a lot longer than that. But I'd be very happy with a Vandermeer signing for 2 years @ 2 mil per or Phillips for 3 years, 3.5 mil per.

e) Do not sign any new forwards other than Richards. Bring back one of Prospal / Fedotenko (looking to be Feds at this point; sad because I love Prospal and wish he could be a part of our continued growth and progress as a team. I hope he somehow is a part of it when we win the cup ^_^ - We must leave at least 1-2 spots for Kreider, Grachev, Thomas, Bourque, Hagelin, Werek to battle for. I think it'll come down to Kreider, Grachev, and Hagelin for the spot (assuming there's only one forward position available).

f) There's a small chance Boogard retires due to post concussion syndrome. I don't want to wish this on him at all, as he seems like a good guy, even though he can't skate or do much of anything. I hope he returns for his own sake, but being objective, it would be convenient if his salary came off the books due to retirement. If so, I think Mike Rupp is a fantastic option. Prust-Boyle-Rupp would be one of the best fourth lines in the league. I love Rupp's game. Size, physicality, can fight anyone, can score, plays a sound defensive game, and is quietly very smart with the puck. He'll likely be re-signed by the Penguins, though. He does an excellent job for them and why would he want to leave that team? They seem like they have a lot of fun together and he's always going to have a chance to win the cup there.

g) Be happy! This is the first time in a long time that we've had so much to be happy about, so many good stories in one season, such a tight team, such a young team, such a defined identity and gameplan. Ladies and gentlemen, we HAVE turned the corner.
Agree with pretty much all of this. Except I don't see Boogey retiring.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Agree with pretty much all of this. Except I don't see Boogey retiring.
Agree as well except that Drury retiring is much less likely than Boogaard retiring. Drury probably wants to play a lot more hockey and is fully capable of doing so even in a diminished role. Boogey, however, is a pretty limited player in the first place. If he can't fight or throw his body around effectively he's as good as done in this league. Worst case scenario is that he pulls a Rocky 5 on us. That would be no fun for anyone.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Rangers44*

If we sign Richards I hope it is not more than 4 years.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
asparkoflife

They need to re-sign all of their RFA's first:

Callahan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Sauer

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
They need to re-sign all of their RFA's first:

Callahan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Sauer
Boyle and Prust and Eminger too

my guesses:

Callahan 3.5 - 4 million
Dubinsky 3.5 - 4 million
Anisimov 2.5 - 3 million
Sauer 1.5 - 2 million
Boyle - 2 million
Prust - 1.3 million
Eminger - 2 - 2.5 million

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

You want realistic signings

Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Artem Anisimov
Brian Boyle
Michael Sauer
Matt Gilroy

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

I see all the talk about Parise. He's a great player and all, but I think until Stepan hits his prime, the Rangers need a decent center, not another elite wing. An experienced defenseman would help too.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
My concerns with Richards are these:

1) If we sign Richards we're suddenly in a very tight spot with our RFAs. Someone could swoop in and offer sheet Dubinsky, especially since Redden still affects our summer cap.

2) How much longer can we reasonably expect Richards' prime to last? He'll be 31 in May. How many more 90+ point seasons do you think he has in him? If he's going to be a ppg player or better for close to the life of the contract, then I'm a lot more interested than if he only has another couple years of this in him.

3) Tangentially, I really don't want to have to buy out Drury if that's what it comes down to. We're so close to having him come entirely off the cap. I'd hate to prolong his presence on it.

I am not against bringing in Brad Richards, but we have to be smart about how we do it.
Why would you do anything in sports, or in life, without being smart about it?

1) Make sure Dubi, Callahan, Sauer, and Anisimov are all re-signed.

2) Playmakers who rely on their mental acumen to succeed in this game can maintain a high level of play longer than most other players. Richards is not known for his speed or strength. His game is passing and vision. His head and his hands. Maybe he only has three 80-90 point seasons left, but no reason to believe he can't still get 70 points when he's 35-36.

3) As long as we don't radically overpay our RFAs, we don't have to buy out Drury to sign Richards. Only the people who don't understand the business of the NHL will tell you that. There is no way Richards is going to get more, or even as much money, as he is making now. No one is giving him a $7.8 million cap hit.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Wow, if Parise only takes a one year deal from the Devils and hits UFA in 2012-2013... we have Drury and Rozsival off the books then.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
3) As long as we don't radically overpay our RFAs, we don't have to buy out Drury to sign Richards. Only the people who don't understand the business of the NHL will tell you that. There is no way Richards is going to get more, or even as much money, as he is making now. No one is giving him a $7.8 million cap hit.
Can it realistically work with Redden's cap hit reappearing over the summer?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Can it realistically work with Redden's cap hit reappearing over the summer?
If the cap goes up $3 million as expected, Redden's contract is not really an issue. The summer cap is 110% of the regular cap. 10% of $62.4 million (next year's expected cap) is $6.24 million; Redden's cap hit is $6.5 million. The Rangers would be short $260,000...not really seeing a problem.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Tim Connolly; 1 year deal.

There are also a boatload of dmen, unfortunately thats not our primary need. Lidstrom as a ranger?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Boyle and Prust and Eminger too

my guesses:

Callahan 3.5 - 4 million
Dubinsky 3.5 - 4 million
Anisimov 2.5 - 3 million
Sauer 1.5 - 2 million
Boyle - 2 million
Prust - 1.3 million
Eminger - 2 - 2.5 million
Prust is signed through the 2011-2012 season, But I did miss Boyle

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

honestly i think it's more important what Slats does with the Emi, Avery, Sauer, Rosy, Fedo, Prospal, Drury situations/slots rather than just addressing the #1 center slot and calling it a day.

Steps or Ani might be seriously ready for a 1c role next season, and the strength of powerhouse NHL clubs is depth.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Leetch3

i really have little to no interest in going after a lesser or 2nd/3rd tier free agents. if we have the possibility to bring in an elite player that might put us over the top then you gotta explore that option and figure out if its the right move...but for the 2nd/3rd tier guys that aren't putting us over the top i'd rather just stay the course and let the kids continue to develop. if you need a veteran depth guy then do it by bring a guy like fedotenko back

but i'd rather have mza, weise, mcdonagh, and other kids getting a shot over bring in a career journeyman

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:58 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocowman View Post
Crosby.
I'm really curious to see what happens with him and Malkin. Malkin's contract goes one year past the year that Sid's due an extension. They're at $8.7 a piece now, what are they going to ask for next? $10m AAV? Of course, if one has to go, it'd undoubtedly be Malkin, but hey, crazier things have happened. What if he has his heart set on UFA, as unlikely as that may be?

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
I'm really curious to see what happens with him and Malkin. Malkin's contract goes one year past the year that Sid's due an extension. They're at $8.7 a piece now, what are they going to ask for next? $10m AAV? Of course, if one has to go, it'd undoubtedly be Malkin, but hey, crazier things have happened. What if he has his heart set on UFA, as unlikely as that may be?
Although it would never happen a Crosby UFA tour & the publicity from it would be good for the NHL IMO.

Also, I would think he'd go to a Canadian team?

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:53 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleh View Post
I read many think Richards and Parise is unlikely to end up i Rangers because of cap space and young guys coming up etc. But who is likely to join Rangers in the summer? Either traded or signed as free agents. And who will get new contracts and who will get traded away or get their contracts ripped a part?

Does torts like any particular players?
sorry if my english was bad!
I think your English is quite good and thanks for asking the question

I think coach Tortarella likes players with a physical aspect to their game

Richards is a pass first kind of player, but is very nice on the powerplay. He also has a history of playing for Tortarella when they were in Tampa together so it is why many rangers fans first talk about Brad Richards coming to NY. Personally I think Dallas keeps him they have a very good team this year.

As far as NYR needs I don't believe they will make a big free agent signing 2011 offseason as they have a good team that is young and buys into the coaching system.

Most NY fans wants Michal Rozsival to be traded because his contract is rather high and as a veteran dman he has value in the NHL. Also by trading him NY will get some salary cap space to spend on resigning Dubinsky who is a key player for the rangers.

Any money NY saves under the salary cap in 2011 will most likely go to retaining the players they have that the coach and GM agree are part of the core of the team.

such as Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle and Gilroy who are all RFA

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
mucker*

We have cap space for Richards.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
2012's free agent pool is not all enticing (especially outside of d-men. the best forwards are penner and hemsky ). the right move is to act sooner rather than later, without making dumb moves. richards is an elite talent. if he's available you do what you have to make that happen.

and it's never a good idea to overpay any UFA, regardless. and paying a lot for one player doesn't necessarily mean overpaying. drury/gomez at 7+ = overpaid. richards/gaborik at 7+ = proper value

ALL top free agents are ALWAYS overpaid.

It's really very simple. Everyone wants to add a top player for free, without surrendering any talent. The only way the other 29 teams back down is if you offer so much to this player that the other 29 teams are going, "This is crazy. Who can afford to pay this much?"

Ok, sure, some of the 29 other teams may just not be good fits. But star players are good fits for most teams, so at a minimum 15-20 teams must be thinking your offer is just too crazy for them.

That's why all UFAs always wind up signing crazy offers.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
hmm possible? maybe he wants to go where he's not the second best player on the team.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote