HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL: Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I can't imagine Doughty getting under 5 mill per. 4.75 at the least.

Anyone see what that punk Pacioretty did at the end of the Habs/Bruins game? He scored the fluky game winner and then shoves Chara for no reason during his celebration.

I hope we put him on his ass on Tuesday, but only after we do the same to Gomez first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It is. All we heard was that they'd be the deepest team in the league. Funny how their tune suddenly changes. "Kovalchuk has no one to play with, wah wah wah." All of a sudden they went from having the deepest team in the league to suddenly the worst. Good ****.
I don't really remember anyone saying that, just that they'd have a deep offense. Considering Parise has been out for nearly the entire season...

Old
01-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't really remember anyone saying that, just that they'd have a deep offense. Considering Parise has been out for nearly the entire season...
Even with Parise they wouldn't be a deep offensive team. All of their depth was a bunch of over-the-hill guys like Arnott, Rolston, and Langebrunner.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Even with Parise they wouldn't be a deep offensive team. All of their depth was a bunch of over-the-hill guys like Arnott, Rolston, and Langebrunner.
When you have two lines with 40 goal scoring threats, and solid complimentary players like Zajac and Elias, that's better depth than most teams in the league offensively. Give them a season or two and see what happens. There is absolutely no way anyone is going to convince me that Kovalchuk isn't going to return to form sooner than later.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
When you have two lines with 40 goal scoring threats, and solid complimentary players like Zajac and Elias, that's better depth than most teams in the league offensively. Give them a season or two and see what happens. There is absolutely no way anyone is going to convince me that Kovalchuk isn't going to return to form sooner than later.
u and me both brotha. you and me both.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Zil

Quote:
I'm not saying they won't get better. I'm just saying that if you look at that roster, most of the depth offensive players are over-the-hill or headed there soon. They have kids like Tedenby who may turn out to be very, very good, but the main depth on this year's roster is not terribly imposing.

Whether or not Parise and a presumably rejuvenated Kovalchuk would be enough to spearhead them back into contention next year is another matter entirely.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm not saying they won't get better. I'm just saying that if you look at that roster, most of the depth offensive players are over-the-hill or headed there soon. They have kids like Tedenby who may turn out to be very, very good, but the main depth on this year's roster is not terribly imposing.

Whether or not Parise and a presumably rejuvenated Kovalchuk would be enough to spearhead them back into contention next year is another matter entirely.
Different definition of depth, then.

Like I said before, Parise and Kovalchuk alone make them a deeper offensive team than most teams. Most teams have one player that good. Some have none.

It's difficult to measure such depth without one of the two players in the lineup for nearly the entire season, and the other one stuck in an anomalous funk during an incredibly difficult season with numerous circumstances that are out of the ordinary.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Zil

Quote:

Like I said before, Parise and Kovalchuk alone make them a deeper offensive team than most teams. Most teams have one player that good. Some have none.

It's difficult to measure such depth without one of the two players in the lineup for nearly the entire season, and the other one stuck in an anomalous funk during an incredibly difficult season with numerous circumstances that are out of the ordinary.
I agree that it's a weird season for them, it's just that when I think offensive depth I think of the Flyers, Red Wings, Canucks, Lightning, etc.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I agree that it's a weird season for them, it's just that when I think offensive depth I think of the Flyers, Red Wings, Canucks, Lightning, etc.
Well, sure you're talking about 3 of the top 5-6 teams in the league. Their depth, offensively is rivaled only by the likes of PITT, WSH, and maybe SJ and CHI.

The rest of the league, however...no one really has more than 1 of that elite type of offensive player...except the Devils, and maybe the Ducks and Avalanche.

Old
01-09-2011, 07:11 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Doughty will probably get like a 4-7 year deal worth around 4.75M, in my opinion.

That would be a steal. He may get more than 5 mill per on a deal 5 years or more. The guy is worth it though.

Old
01-09-2011, 07:14 AM
darko

Quote:
Well, sure you're talking about 3 of the top 5-6 teams in the league. Their depth, offensively is rivaled only by the likes of PITT, WSH, and maybe SJ and CHI.

Agree. They could turn it around as early as next year.

They need a PMD. They miss Martin more than they think. IMO they wouldnt be where they are now if they gave Volchenkov's money to Martin.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:32 AM
HellOnIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Agree. They could turn it around as early as next year.

They need a PMD. They miss Martin more than they think. IMO they wouldnt be where they are now if they gave Volchenkov's money to Martin.
Devils fan here. Swap out VOlchenkov for Tallinder.

As for the Devils future, kind of hard to say right now. I'll say though they have good pieces coming. Upfront guys like Josefon, Tedenby with a year of muscle and experience in North America. They have top line talent, they need more depth in the bottom two lines.

I still think their biggest issue is PMD - it's the hardest thing to find.

They have some young D in the system that should pan out, probably not next season but the one after...guys like Jon Merril, Alex Urbom, and maybe even Adam Larsson. Taormina was playing at a good level before his ankle sprain injury a few months ago now.

Many questions to be answered - but there is hope with some of the talent we do have. Big picture 2012-2013 looks better than 11-12, but things can change quickly in either direction.

Also, we don't know if theres a season in 12-13 - unfortunately.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:

Their collective talent on the blue line is probably bottom 5 in the league and there's no guarantee that Parise will be around for more than a year. Their talent down the middle is even more questionable, if you factor in age and production. I think the Devils have a long road to travel toward being a top echelon team again. Not saying they can't compete next year for a playoff spot, but I think the days of routinely acknowledging them as among the league's best are over.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:51 AM
DutchShamrock

I have seen the words "best" and "deepest" associated with the Devils' top 9 in the first version of this very thread before the season started. And this was coming from Ranger fans. People thought Kovalchuk would be challenging for the Ross. Those expectations should not be utterly dashed and destroyed by the injury of any 1 player. The definition of deep is being able to sustain success despite injury. The hockey world was way off on their expectations of the Devils. I can't wait to see the final predictions for the season, you know the ones where they show you their pre-season picks. So many Devils predictions in the finals. I think 3 out of 4 Post writers picked the Devils.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:52 AM
haveandare

Quote:

The rest of the league, however...no one really has more than 1 of that elite type of offensive player...except the Devils, and maybe the Ducks and Avalanche.
They have two elite players, yes, but then there's a huge drop off. IMO, two amazing players doesn't equal depth at offense. You need other guys around them who can support them, who can score when they aren't, and most importantly, who are looking to get better every season. They have very few impact players who are going to get better than they are right now. Too many over the hill players, no defense, no real PMD. Kovalchuk has less points than Stepan, AA and Boyle right now. There's an ebb and flow to production for sure, and people are going to have down seasons but he's an outright embarrassment this year. Pitt, WSH, SJ, CHI - they're depth is composed of young players who will get better and better or at least guys who aren't about to start their way down the slippery slope of deterioration. IMO, the devils will not be better until they go through a lot of roster turnover. Luckily for them, it seems like the management is starting to figure this out.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Their collective talent on the blue line is probably bottom 5 in the league and there's no guarantee that Parise will be around for more than a year. Their talent down the middle is even more questionable, if you factor in age and production. I think the Devils have a long road to travel toward being a top echelon team again. Not saying they can't compete next year for a playoff spot, but I think the days of routinely acknowledging them as among the league's best are over.
The days of routinely acknowledging them as one of the league's best were going to be over regardless of whether or not they signed Kovalchuk. The team was old. Now, not only will they get a top 2-3 pick out of it, but they'll have a former #1 pick, 40 goal scorer under 30 to go along with it.

Their talent down the middle is comparable to our own right now. Zajac and Josefson is pretty equivalent to Stepan and Anisimov.

Keep dreaming about Parise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I have seen the words "best" and "deepest" associated with the Devils' top 9 in the first version of this very thread before the season started. And this was coming from Ranger fans. People thought Kovalchuk would be challenging for the Ross. Those expectations should not be utterly dashed and destroyed by the injury of any 1 player. The definition of deep is being able to sustain success despite injury. The hockey world was way off on their expectations of the Devils. I can't wait to see the final predictions for the season, you know the ones where they show you their pre-season picks. So many Devils predictions in the finals. I think 3 out of 4 Post writers picked the Devils.
Then those people are idiots, because there was no reason to believe they would be better than PIT or WSH, not to mention other teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
They have two elite players, yes, but then there's a huge drop off. IMO, two amazing players doesn't equal depth at offense. You need other guys around them who can support them, who can score when they aren't, and most importantly, who are looking to get better every season. They have very few impact players who are going to get better than they are right now. Too many over the hill players, no defense, no real PMD. Kovalchuk has less points than Stepan, AA and Boyle right now. There's an ebb and flow to production for sure, and people are going to have down seasons but he's an outright embarrassment this year. Pitt, WSH, SJ, CHI - they're depth is composed of young players who will get better and better or at least guys who aren't about to start their way down the slippery slope of deterioration. IMO, the devils will not be better until they go through a lot of roster turnover. Luckily for them, it seems like the management is starting to figure this out.
I'm pretty sure they figured that out a while ago. Unfortunately, when you have franchise stalwarts like Brodeur and Elias, it's difficult to just move them out when you no longer need them. This isn't Leetch/Sather.

So they've started the roster turnover before the old guard is completely out the door.

We'll see what an embarrassment Kovalchuk is next season. I'd bet anything he scores at least 35. With Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Elias, Tedenby, Josefson, and whoever they draft, they'll have a much improved offense.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
NYR27

Crosby

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6002525

First off -I know first hand how bad concussions can be - have had multiple myself and, unfortunately for Sid - you become more susceptible once you get one.

The side note is the general distaste for the guy in the comments section of the article...kinda seems like I am reading a NYR/Pit GDT on here...lots fo the same thngs we say about Mario/whining etc...have a read!

Old
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
haveandare

Did he say anything about the NHL needing to look into blind side hits when Cooke got Savard? I don't recall.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Devils need an infusion of youth and the speed that comes along with it. Look at the late 90s Devils teams that struggled to go deep in the playoffs after the 95 Cup. Lamoriello gradually parted ways with older vets such as Broten, Driver, Gilmour, Thomas, Andreychuk and Carpenter and brought in Arnott, Gomez, Rafalski, Sykora, Elias and even Mogilny who wasn't a rookie but was a speedster. The Devils have lethal offensive threats in Parise and Kovalchuk (when healthy and having good years) but the other forwards around them still need a shakeup. Langenbrunner was the first to go. Puck-moving D is a priority as well. Look at how different NJ became in the playoffs with their transition game once they replaced the likes of Lyle Odelein and Kevin Dean with Rafalski and Malakhov. Devils' D has definitely taken a hit over the years losing Stevens, Niedermayer and Rafalski. Any team would take a step back losing two Hall of Famers and another very skilled defenseman (lured away by another smart organization in Detroit). But it will be hard to advance in the East without a very good defense corps when you have to play against Crosby and the like and other teams have Pronger and Chara shutting your guys down.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:52 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
I can't imagine Doughty getting under 5 mill per. 4.75 at the least.
They just signed Jack Johnson for 7 years/4.36 per, so you figure Doughty would get more than that. So at least 5-6 million.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
broadwayblue

Maybe this time the league will actually do something about blind side hits as opposed to pretending they will.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Did he say anything about the NHL needing to look into blind side hits when Cooke got Savard? I don't recall.

and as far as Crosby getting a concussion...

Hes a little slew footing *****, karma has come around to bite him in the ass.

And ffs... one more

Old
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post

and as far as Crosby getting a concussion...

Hes a little slew footing *****, karma has come around to bite him in the ass.

And ffs... one more
yea i mean seeing a player get hurt sucks and especially if it's a dirty hit or attempted murder ::cough:: Bertuzzi ::cough:: but seeing Crysby get his ass knocked out made me giggle.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
The days of routinely acknowledging them as one of the league's best were going to be over regardless of whether or not they signed Kovalchuk. The team was old. Now, not only will they get a top 2-3 pick out of it, but they'll have a former #1 pick, 40 goal scorer under 30 to go along with it.

Their talent down the middle is comparable to our own right now. Zajac and Josefson is pretty equivalent to Stepan and Anisimov.

Keep dreaming about Parise.
"Dreaming about Parise"? Nah, not me. I'm not one of the advocates for giving away tons of picks, pissing off every other GM in the league, and hand-cuffing ourselves further with a guy coming off major knee surgery. Love the guy, but don't see him coming here. Doesn't mean that he won't sign (with NJ) for a year and see what being a very young 26 year old UFA feels like. I would, if I were him.

Josefson is equivalent to DS and AA? Really? After 6 NHL games and no NHL points you can make that call? I don't know about that. I like Zajac, however.

They might be competing for a playoff spot next year, but they really need to improve their defense.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Maybe this time the league will actually do something about blind side hits as opposed to pretending they will.
That's what I was thinking... the league will only take hits to the head seriously when a star player gets a concussion as a result of them. They will freak out if the darling of the league misses any extended period of time because of this.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
"Dreaming about Parise"? Nah, not me. I'm not one of the advocates for giving away tons of picks, pissing off every other GM in the league, and hand-cuffing ourselves further with a guy coming off major knee surgery. Love the guy, but don't see him coming here. Doesn't mean that he won't sign (with NJ) for a year and see what being a very young 26 year old UFA feels like. I would, if I were him.
I would, too. But then again, I hate the Devils. Don't see him doing that, however. He'll be a Devil for a long time.

Quote:
Josefson is equivalent to DS and AA? Really? After 6 NHL games and no NHL points you can make that call? I don't know about that. I like Zajac, however.

They might be competing for a playoff spot next year, but they really need to improve their defense.
Pardon me, I should have used the word "respectively." Josefson is a pretty good comparison for Anisimov. A strong two-way center who can chip in offensively. And I think Zajac is a pretty good comparison for Stepan, too.

If I were them, I'd trade down a few picks and draft Ryan Murphy. PMD problems solved.

Closed Thread