HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NSH@SJS 1/8/2011 The "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Edition

Old
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Just saw the highlights on On The Fly...if there were any questions about the health of Rinne's knee they have been answered! Wow, some of those saves tonight were unbelievable!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
cleangene

SMILES ALL AROUND!!!! Thanks so much PREDS. DP should be at the top of the GM of the Year candidates for Sergei alone.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I was amazed to see that we held Marleau and Heatley to a combined four shots, but we still gave up way too many scoring chances. Rinne is a good goalie, but we've got to play better in front of him than we did tonight. Weber and O'Brien with really bad penalties just compounds the issues we had with San Jose's lower lines. The Sharks got 28 shots in the first half of the game, that's absolutely unacceptable.

After watching the end of the Montreal/Boston game earlier tonight, I thought for sure we were going to overtime by trying to sit on a 2-1 lead, but we were opportunistic on offense, Rinne stood on his head, and we smuggled two points out of NorCal.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:08 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
BTN, I think with Spaling and Erat coming back soon we put Spaling back with Smithson and Ward and maybe we put Erat with Mueller and Dumont? That way we're not rushing Erat back in there, no pun intended and maybe it gives Dumont another guy on his line to help him offensively. I've actually been impressed with the way Mueller has played. What becomes tricky is when Sully is ready to return since we have a few guys that are centers that are playing wing.

I have to say this, Franson maybe with his best game of the year. He actually knocked a few guys down tonight and his physical play has been picking up as has been noted around here.

The PP was great tonight. J/K.

Rinne was like BTN said, the best he's been all year. I still think he's got an achilles heal and that's when teams go to shoot over his shoulders. He sometimes goes down too quick and leaves top shelf open a little too much. Other than that, really nice game and great road trip for the boys. Thought tonight could've been a game where we took the foot off the pedal and we played hard for 60 minutes. We won a few different ways on this trip. Some we scored a ton and tonight we shut SJ down defensively. Nice to see this team finding that balance that we've been looking for. SJ announcers were pretty complimentary of us tonight. I have to say, having Center Ice and not listening to Pete and Terry has been a nice surprise. The announcers for most teams are usually pretty complimentary of our team and work ethic and always say we're a tough team to play against because of our work ethic.
I agree with you I listened to Pete and Terry tonight but last game that wasn't televised ..the Columbus game ...the announcers were very complimenting of our team. They made a good comment on Dumont saying that he was playing tentative not like before when was firing the puck..Pete has a great hockey voice but less attentive to the details of the game and more trying to outtalk Terry. Pete won't explain the strategies of the game at all. It not like he doesn't know them he does. But Pete won't criticise the team or the players or the coaches. What I want in my announcing team is to learn things about the game that isn't cliche. Pete and Terry are nice people but they sometimes seem aloof from what's going on.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I wasn't able to catch the game, but got the highlights on NHL.com.

Rinne has about 15 saves on the highlights along with our two goals and a great hit by Thuresson. So I was able to watch pretty much the entire game.

I love the goalie competition, Lindback is doing really well and Rinne keeps one upping him.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:57 AM
token grinder

what scares me now is that most of our winning streaks stop around game five and then we tailspin five games. i really hope that isn't the case with our next five being minny, florida, chicago, chicago and phoenix. not saying we will not lose there, but 6 points int he next five is more than doable.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
PredsChik

1 box orange jello
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup OJ
1/4 cup mango rum
1/4 cup 90 proof peach shnaaps... with an added 'oops dash'

Pour into 16 mini cups, chill, drink to O'Reilly's leg.
1 part sweet tea
1 part peach shnaaps

Drink when Suter or Weber touch the puck.

Tuesday is going to be expensive if I don't plan ahead.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:27 PM
dulzhok

Hard to say where this team will end up. 5 game winning steak; 5 game losing streak. Repeat. Definitely the most fickle Predators team in our history.

Nice to see SK step up, but still withholding judgment on his long-term viability. We've seen a lot of journeyman/tweener players come through the Predators system and step it up with added responsibility- Walker, Krivo, Ward, Johansson, Kjellberg, etc. But many times, they can't sustain the 'decent' offensive results for for extended periods.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
what scares me now is that most of our winning streaks stop around game five and then we tailspin five games. i really hope that isn't the case with our next five being minny, florida, chicago, chicago and phoenix. not saying we will not lose there, but 6 points int he next five is more than doable.
If you recall, this streak started with Trotz rearranging the locker room during the first intermission vs. Columbus and Weber also vocalizing his thoughts. Smithson himself had said before the game that the team owed the home fans better results.

I'm hopeful that the team ends the wishy-washy streaks at this point...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:47 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Okay, I remember Svatos going into the boards awkwardly. I remember some concern about it. But I had to leave immediately after the game and I've heard nothing about him today. So I assume he's alright?

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Hard to say where this team will end up. 5 game winning steak; 5 game losing streak. Repeat. Definitely the most fickle Predators team in our history.

Nice to see SK step up, but still withholding judgment on his long-term viability. We've seen a lot of journeyman/tweener players come through the Predators system and step it up with added responsibility- Walker, Krivo, Ward, Johansson, Kjellberg, etc. But many times, they can't sustain the 'decent' offensive results for for extended periods.
a bit disingeniuos to call SK a "journeyman"
hes 23 and we are his second team.

and anyway, if he has a Scott Walker type career here that would be considered a success in most peoples books

The good thing is he is an RFA so we can just give him a QO and let him prove himself a second year before giving him a long term deal

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
a bit disingeniuos to call SK a "journeyman"
hes 23 and we are his second team.

and anyway, if he has a Scott Walker type career here that would be considered a success in most peoples books

The good thing is he is an RFA so we can just give him a QO and let him prove himself a second year before giving him a long term deal
I think he is considered a journeyman only because his name was heard so much, so young. It is obvious he isn't one, but to the hockey fan who just makes statements without much thought or research, I can see why this perception is there.

and there is no truth to the rumor that our goalies are all required to be scandanavian now, although marko dekanichinin, jeremyhan smithaburg and chetrik pickardback are set to make appearances here one day

Old
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Probably the same people that consider just making the playoffs a success.

It's looking good with him right now, but will wait to see if he can have sustained scoring-line success.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Probably the same people that consider just making the playoffs a success.

It's looking good with him right now, but will wait to see if he can have sustained scoring-line success.
wow. now you are just being cheeky.

anyone who thinks Scott Walker wasnt a "success" for us in the context of an expansion draft pickup must think Kostitsyn needs to score 30 goals to be a "success"

Walker had 2 seasons with 25 goals. If SK has even one season with those numbers, I'd say considering what we paid for him, thats a tremendous "success"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
wow. now you are just being cheeky.

anyone who thinks Scott Walker wasnt a "success" for us in the context of an expansion draft pickup must think Kostitsyn needs to score 30 goals to be a "success"

Walker had 2 seasons with 25 goals. If SK has even one season with those numbers, I'd say considering what we paid for him, thats a tremendous "success"
In the context of expansion, Walker was a success.

But for a team that is a threat in the playoffs, Walker wouldn't have gotten close to the ice-time he got here.

That's the point about SK. He's done well with this chance, but so did the afore mentioned players. Those players were decent, but not the kind of people you build playoff winning teams with, at-least on a scoringline. \

Do I hope we have the next Patrick Sharp? (twenner guy who was traded for very little)? Sure. But, too early to tell.

Old
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
glenngineer

There is a difference between Walker and SK. Walker was an expansion pick up that was a defenseman that converted to being a forward. He was 25 or 26 when he got here after being a 4th line/3rd pairing/permascratch type for Vancouver. SK is 23. He needed a change of scenery and more minutes. Everyone thought he had the talent to produce, was never given the chance. I was thinking today, look at Big Buff and what he's doing in Atlanta. I don't think he was ever utilized by Chicago the proper way and he's got over 40 points for them this year, from the blueline. Who would've thought that would happen?

All that said, SK, for $550,000 this year, is a steal. He and Hornqvist seem to be clicking and he was clicking with Goc and Erat before Erat went down. When a guy keeps playing well with new linemates it tells me he's got an iota of talent.

I also got to thinking, we have 5 guys out right now and the other guys are rising to the challenge. If they have this sort of success when the roster is depleted, what happens when they come back? I hope Trotz and the boys realize this and they need to keep playing hard when guys like Sully and Erat come back and not to rely on the new guys coming back from injury. There is usually a little bit of a let down but hopefully they can stay focused.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
Okay, I remember Svatos going into the boards awkwardly. I remember some concern about it. But I had to leave immediately after the game and I've heard nothing about him today. So I assume he's alright?
No news is good news I suppose he's OK. Why wasn't that a penalty on SJ??

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
No news is good news I suppose he's OK. Why wasn't that a penalty on SJ??
It was incidental contact and he lost an edge.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
1 box orange jello
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup OJ
1/4 cup mango rum
1/4 cup 90 proof peach shnaaps... with an added 'oops dash'

Pour into 16 mini cups, chill, drink to O'Reilly's leg.
1 part sweet tea
1 part peach shnaaps

Drink when Suter or Weber touch the puck.

Tuesday is going to be expensive if I don't plan ahead.
I was gonna call you on your recipe until I saw the 90 proof.

As to the rest of the discussion lately.....BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Some people hate the Preds no matter how much they claim to be fans.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I also got to thinking, we have 5 guys out right now and the other guys are rising to the challenge. If they have this sort of success when the roster is depleted, what happens when they come back? I hope Trotz and the boys realize this and they need to keep playing hard when guys like Sully and Erat come back and not to rely on the new guys coming back from injury. There is usually a little bit of a let down but hopefully they can stay focused.
I think the team is better without Sullivan, Erat and O'Reilly in the top 6. Sure, try to fit in Erat and Sully if the current top 6 hits a rut, but I think the current lines work too well to mess with them, especially the Hornqvist-Goc-SK line.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think the team is better without Sullivan, Erat and O'Reilly in the top 6. Sure, try to fit in Erat and Sully if the current top 6 hits a rut, but I think the current lines work too well to mess with them, especially the Hornqvist-Goc-SK line.
So maybe Spaling between Sully and Erat when they come back as a 3rd line?

Old
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
glenngineer

And then use Ward, Smithson and Mueller as an energy line with PK ability?

That unfortunately leaves JP out in the cold but I think Spaling brings more to the club than JP at this point. I have hoped JP would break out of his funk but I just don't see it happening. He seems to be the odd man out but fills a veteran role for us as well as being a professional.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
And then use Ward, Smithson and Mueller as an energy line with PK ability?

That unfortunately leaves JP out in the cold but I think Spaling brings more to the club than JP at this point. I have hoped JP would break out of his funk but I just don't see it happening. He seems to be the odd man out but fills a veteran role for us as well as being a professional.
I'm not sure Svatos stays in top 6 when we get Erat back, let alone Sully. Personally, I like the top 2 lines now, and I like a potential Spaling centering Erat and JP, too. Putting 10 and 11 together has been a disaster since 9 left, but I suspect we see that option pop up when 10 is healthy unless 40 gets on a roll.

All that said - Mr. Poile, I'm assuming you've got those vet centers on your watch list.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:24 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I actually agree except for possibly Erat. Regardless it's something I've been putting a lot of thought into. What in the hell do we do when Sully and Erat comes back?

I do NOT want to see Wilson's or SK's time significantly reduced.

I can't stop myself from thinking Sully needs to be the guy who takes a reduced role. I know he is a vet and he truly has done tons for the franchise and city on and off the ice. But bottom line Sully is not the Sully he once was and how I like to remember him. He still has pretty good offensive skills but he doesn't have the same explosive speed and elusiveness he once had. He needs time and space to be effective. Even then quite often this year he has been an offensive momentum killer when he tries cute little dekes and passes that really never work. He's not proficient along the boards and in any other zone except the offensive zone.

Comparing him and Svatos the only thing I can say Sully has over Svatos is playmaking/vision with the puck. Svatos is a better natural goalscorer and despite being of similar stature battles hard in all areas of the ice.

Erat needs to get a good amount of ice time when he comes back. Even when he isn't scoring like we want him too he is a damn good hockey player who is fast and battles hard. Therefore I propose a lineup that goes like this.

Wilson-Legwand-Svatos
SK-Goc-Horns
Sully-Spaling-Erat
Dumont/Mueller-Smithson-Ward

Erat and Svatos can interchange but I would like to see Svatos get a little more time on that Legwand line before he is moved. Only one goal and one point for Svatos so far but to me he looks more comfortable and dangerous every game and as we all know this team needs shooters. If Svatos can get going and build confidence that could be huge.

Spaling being between Erat and Sully could hopefully help him find his offensive game.

The fourth line LW could be Mueller or Dumont. Despite Dumont's monumental struggles I do give him credit that he is still skating hard and battling which is the only thing that would give me hope that he could perform the role on the 4th line. Even then Mueller just sticks out to me as making more sense. As much as I like him as a player and person, finding a way to move Dumont would be best case scenario for all parties involved. Pretty sure he has a NMC though and doubt he would have any suitors.

This lineup would give you three legit two way lines and a damn good grinding line. Looks pretty good to me.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
token grinder

i think you stick erat back on goc's line, no questions asked. they were dynamite together.

sk-goc-erat
wilson-legwand-svatos
sullivan-spaling-hornquist
thuresson-smithson-ward

be nice to plug lombardi in that third center spot right now. and tootoo is at spot. sorry JP.