HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
12-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Cable cos in quebrc are resellers of videotron. Distributels price is going down to 37.95 per month I believe. (cable, 7.5, etc.)

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Hi all.

Im looking to switch my sympatico internet provider because i dont like them. Everybody know they throttle your download speed with torrents, which imo is unnaceptable because they already limit you with a limit of Gigs you can download.

Im looking for a reliable cable internet provider ( because i read a bit that DLS internet get throttled by all ISP, correct me if im wrong here ), other than videotron, because videotron charge you 52.95 a month for the 7.5 mbp line and 40g limit, which i think is too expensive.

Anyone have good recommandation? Also seeking, if possible, an ISP that can rent you the modem or give you the option to buy it as you pay per month.

Thanks in advance for your recommandation if you got 2 minutes to help.

teksavvy allows you to bypass throttling if you use MLPPP with a compatible router.
Look into it.

it's 35$ a month (+ 5% tax only)

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Shabutie

Teksavys is listed at 32.95$ in QC.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
habs1988

Best cellphone carrier

Guys, I need a new package for my cellphone. I left for 4 months to Sweden as an exchange student, and I was with Virgin as prepaid card.

Now, I'm looking for a long run package (2-3 years).

I just need unlimited SMS and few calls, so I don't need to be with big carrier like Bell or Rogers (their cheapest package is like 30$).

There are 3 packages that have been proposed to me :

- 100 minutes (except Fido who is 100min but for seconds)
- Free SMS
- Unlimited on week-end and 6pm to 7am free on week days.

Videotron, Fido and Virgin propose this for 25$ a month.

What do you think? Which carrier is the best?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
GoodKiwi

Also, check out www.chatrwireless.com

Their plans are a little more expensive but they're all inclusive.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've been with Bell for about 15 years (satellite and cell phones) and I've been very happy with them.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
habbie67

I'd go with Fido. Maybe just cause i work there and know their advantages. At the moment wŤ've got a 35 dollar plan which has 150 mins, unlimited incoming, nights and weekends 6pm to 8am, Call Display included. Good network too, Videotron has a great 3G network but no 2G which you'll notice in call quality. I have the same problem with Bell. Chatr is on the same network as Rogers and Fido so you'll get great 2G and 3G coverage. One disadvantage to fido is phone selection, yea theyve got a Blackberry Iphone 4 and the ACER android but other than that, nothing which stands out against competition.

habbie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've been with Bell for about 15 years (satellite and cell phones) and I've been very happy with them.
don't listen to this guy

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
don't listen to this guy
Why not overlords? Because I've been with them longer than you've been alive?

Old
12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Why not overlords? Because I've been with them longer than you've been alive?
that's mature. More so because they're one of the more corrupt and worst Canadian companies when it comes to customer service. But i'm sure you knew that.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
that's mature. More so because they're one of the more corrupt and worst Canadian companies when it comes to customer service. But i'm sure you knew that.
+infinity

I'll never forget when their DSL first started coming out. It took them 2 months to realize that we weren't in their coverage zone and then they wanted my dad to bring the modem back to them. I have never gone back since.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Aaaahhh come on. Turn that frown upside down, it was a joke meant in fun.

In 15 years, I personally never had any issues with Bell at any level, customer service included, and I've contacted them in several occasions for different needs.

I don't work for Bell, I don't make commission if the OP goes with them or not. He asked the question, I gave him my opinion based on a long experience, not on hearsay. What he does with the info, I can't care less.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
phoque taupe

they are all d0uches
but i had less troubles with videotron.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Guys, I need a new package for my cellphone. I left for 4 months to Sweden as an exchange student, and I was with Virgin as prepaid card.

Now, I'm looking for a long run package (2-3 years).

I just need unlimited SMS and few calls, so I don't need to be with big carrier like Bell or Rogers (their cheapest package is like 30$).

There are 3 packages that have been proposed to me :

- 100 minutes (except Fido who is 100min but for seconds)
- Free SMS
- Unlimited on week-end and 6pm to 7am free on week days.

Videotron, Fido and Virgin propose this for 25$ a month.

What do you think? Which carrier is the best?
I dont know about the network of Videotron
But Fido --> Rogers network
Virgin --> Bell Network

Personnaly i'd go with Fido
im with them and the network is pretty good. I had been with bell for 3 years. Rogers network is the best for me (south shore

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Hi all.

Im looking to switch my sympatico internet provider because i dont like them. Everybody know they throttle your download speed with torrents, which imo is unnaceptable because they already limit you with a limit of Gigs you can download.

Im looking for a reliable cable internet provider ( because i read a bit that DLS internet get throttled by all ISP, correct me if im wrong here ), other than videotron, because videotron charge you 52.95 a month for the 7.5 mbp line and 40g limit, which i think is too expensive.

Anyone have good recommandation? Also seeking, if possible, an ISP that can rent you the modem or give you the option to buy it as you pay per month.

Thanks in advance for your recommandation if you got 2 minutes to help.
I look for Rapidshare or Hotfile links if I'm downloading any files of size. I find I'm using torrents as a last resort, not as a first choice, except for applications which I prefer to use demonoid, any problem files tend to get weeded out fairly quickly.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
He lives in British Columbia, where Bell's main competitor is Telus.
From that perspective, Bell would be pretty awesome

Be careful with Videotron. Their prices are high if you don't have other services with them. Videotron is a company that pretty much never offers great deals, or new useful services. They just take what's leftover from people who are angry at other companies (since the competitor is Bell, that's a sizeable amount of customers).

My advice is to get a Retention plan from someone else, you'll get the best of all worlds.
If you need one... let me know... I know some people.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Avim86

Videotron is pricey but they don't usually throttle , I have the TGV 50 and I download most torrents at 1.0-2.5MB/s.
As for the cellphone Fido is really the better choice for low end pricing with good network (and network support).

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen Jacques Demers View Post
He lives in British Columbia, where Bell's main competitor is Telus.
From that perspective, Bell would be pretty awesome
Rogers as well. As a matter of fact, Bell and Telus share the same towers here but Bell's customer service is much better.

I also have Bell ExpressVu for satellite, is it different elsewhere?

Old
01-09-2011, 02:59 PM
MetroGnome

So, Iíve been getting this message for a little over a month now. My battery is barely at 25% all the time because it doesnít charge anymore. On the odd day, it does start charging randomly and it also seems to charge if I plug it in electrical outlets I wouldnít normally use. My laptop is 16 months old; Iíd think this isnít normal.

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
So, Iíve been getting this message for a little over a month now. My battery is barely at 25% all the time because it doesnít charge anymore. On the odd day, it does start charging randomly and it also seems to charge if I plug it in electrical outlets I wouldnít normally use. My laptop is 16 months old; Iíd think this isnít normal.

it is if you have a dell or hp or wtv laptop. My sister's Sony's battery died in about a year. It's 'normal' I guess, but a pretty ****** deal for those who aren't expecting it. Might be covered by any warranties you have. If not, i'd suggest getting an aftermarket battery to replace your current one, as they usually last longer and can be had for cheaper than getting one from your laptop's manufacturer.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
MetroGnome

Quote:
it is if you have a dell or hp or wtv laptop. My sister's Sony's battery died in about a year. It's 'normal' I guess, but a pretty ****** deal for those who aren't expecting it. Might be covered by any warranties you have. If not, i'd suggest getting an aftermarket battery to replace your current one, as they usually last longer and can be had for cheaper than getting one from your laptop's manufacturer.
That sucks, the battery isn't covered by the warranty. I found the battery and adapter I need on BattDepot. I'm hoping it's a reliable site and I'll likely place an order this week.

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Maxpac

To anybody who has the viber application on Iphone 4, i can't get the access code to log into Viber, did anybody else have this problem? What can i do to get the freackin code?! Thank you

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
LastChancePrice

Question about optical audio cable.

Ok here is the thing. I got my cable box of videotron that got an optical audio cable slot and my television also have one. I bought a cable and hook it up to both but there is still no sound comming out....

Cable defective or i need an audio receiver to hook that up? I try it also on my PS3 and its doing the same thing...

Thanks in advance and sorry mods i cannot find the proper thread to fit it in.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

On the TV and Illico, they're both outputs. You'll need to hook it up to a receiver. Otherwise use the HDMI or composite cable.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
optical cable info

Hey,

quick questions:
1. is there red light at the end of the cable when it is in the slot on either the PS3 or the box?(if there is it is working fine)

2. In the audio settings on your tv( if you are not using a receiver) you should change the settings to optical audio in or turn it on depending on the tv.

Hope that helps you.

oh yeah the guy above pointed out that you probably have only optical output on your tv so you do need a receiver, sorry.

Last edited by habfan1968: 02-01-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: too add that i was wrong in assuming his tv has an optical input.
habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote