HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik hurt more than we think?

Old
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Fosberg's issue was his ankle.
Forsberg had a lot of groin issues as well.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:19 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
He hasent been a 100% 1 game since haven been on the Rangers. There is a defenite issue here. If he is hurt he should not be playing and rest for a hopeful playoff push were he is expected to play hard without beign cautious and worrying about injury. I am tired of seeing him play so cautious and really hampers the other players as well. Its not a good role model when ur best player is avoiding and possible contact. I personally think the shoulder is sensitive by his motions out on the ice. To those of you saying he is not thinking the game properly imo are out of your mind. The fact that he is playing in a fragile state is not thinking, but to actually somewhat contribute with a poor shoulder or what not you have to have a pretty good mind for hockey which imo he does. He is 1 of the smartest players i have ever seen.

MZA doesn't belong in the NHL... Taken with a grain of salt. Gaborik is not known for being a cerebral player with tremendous vision who thinks the game and makes those around him better. He's made an all-star career on explosive speed and a world class shot. You say scoring against weak teams proves he is thinking the game well because he uses his intelligence to take advantage of weak opponents. I say the players who consistently score against good teams must be geniuses than. Gaborik is not putting himself in good positions in the offensive zone. He always drives behind the net, he plays too low in the zone (if you're going to be beneath the hash marks you shouldn't be along the boards, all the time). He gets rid of the puck too quickly, despite having good playmaking ability which we would benefit from in the absence of his goal scoring. I'm just not liking his game at all right now. Even the assist he ended up with tonight was a gimme from Dubinsky and should have been a sure-fire goal to begin with. I hope he's injured, because I can't think of any excuses for him if he's not.

Last edited by SERE 24: 01-08-2011 at 11:27 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:36 AM
asparkoflife

Gaborik looked really good last night. He's gonna go on a scoring rampage really soon.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Stepanformayor*

Gabby does not see the ice well, he is not one of the best players in the league, and he will not go on this magical scoring streak. When Gabby came into the NHL his skating was something to see, it is not anymore, he has not beaten anyone all year with his speed. Not only is he not one of the best players in the NHL, he is not even the best player on our team.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Gabby does not see the ice well, he is not one of the best players in the league, and he will not go on this magical scoring streak. When Gabby came into the NHL his skating was something to see, it is not anymore, he has not beaten anyone all year with his speed. Not only is he not one of the best players in the NHL, he is not even the best player on our team.
i hope Gabby doesn't read this and kill himself. we need him, he's the best player on our team.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Right. One of the NHL's best finishers has no chance of putting together a scoring streak.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Stepanformayor*

Prusy thats where your wrong. He is not one of the best. He is 131st in scoring. You really think in the 13 games he missed that he would be up there with the league leaders. He is 45 points behind Sid. Hoosa and Stafford have more points than Gabby with same amount of games played. The guy is done!!!

Old
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Prusy thats where your wrong. He is not one of the best. He is 131st in scoring. You really think in the 13 games he missed that he would be up there with the league leaders. He is 45 points behind Sid. Hoosa and Stafford have more points than Gabby with same amount of games played. The guy is done!!!
If you think he's done after one bad stretch as a Ranger, you're out of your mind. The guy had 42 goals last season, which was 5th in the NHL. He's not "done".

EDIT: He's also on pace for 54 points in 69 games if he plays the rest of the season. thats pretty much done.

Old
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Let me guess.....Stepan is going to win the Calder, Selke, and heart trophies?

Let's be real...Gaborik is an elite talent...one that this team needs.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Stepanformayor*

Prusty i respect your thoughts but we have a 20 year old rookie out playing Gabby since his return. I really think your going to start seeing the decline of Gabby. Other than the 2 3 goal games what has he done in the other 27 games played. Not much!!! He has to be better for me to put this guy in the top 25 forwards in the NHL.

Old
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Prusty i respect your thoughts but we have a 20 year old rookie out playing Gabby since his return. I really think your going to start seeing the decline of Gabby. Other than the 2 3 goal games what has he done in the other 27 games played. Not much!!! He has to be better for me to put this guy in the top 25 forwards in the NHL.
Im going to disregard anything you say about Stepan considering its blatantly obvious you're biased. but about gaborik:

His decline? At 28 years old? I dont think so.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Im going to disregard anything you say about Stepan considering its blatantly obvious you're biased. but about gaborik:

His decline? At 28 years old? I dont think so.
Just face it hes over the hill.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Dude come on. Gaborik has averaged more than a PPG in every season post-lockout except for this one (which is only half way finished by the way). You can't look at one down year when a guy is 28 and say he is declining. If he was 35 then maybe you'd be correct in your assumption.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Leetch66

How old was Pavel Bure when he packed it in ?

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
32 or 33 I believe.

Old
01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
32 or 33 I believe.
After multiple instances of ligament damage to his knee...

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
damn he was still a beast too.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Posted on another forum:

Quote:
@AGrossRecord: Torts on Gabby's struggles : "It can't be one of those years. the team won't succeed if it continues."
Quotes like this lead me to believe that injuries are the least of Gaborik's problems... If they were the contributing factor towards his play, Torts would know about it and certainly wouldn't make comments like this.... I think we need to stop deflecting blame towards injuries and come to the realization that our high-caliber forward is struggling by his own doing.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Stepanformayor*

Gabby will be traded at the deadline. The man has been awful all year. If your hurt then rehab it. If your not play threw it. Just watch his effort tonight, it sucks.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

I don't get why this is such a mystery to some of you guys. It's rather simple.

He's playing NOT to get hurt! That means no hits, no strong forecheck, no driving to net, basically ANYTHING that involves a sense of physicality, Gaborik won't be involved in.

Also, I don't think his shoulder has fully healed. Well, it's not a matter of "thinking", it's just that a separated shoulder takes a damn long time to heal.

01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't get why this is such a mystery to some of you guys. It's rather simple.

He's playing NOT to get hurt! That means no hits, no strong forecheck, no driving to net, basically ANYTHING that involves a sense of physicality, Gaborik won't be involved in.
How is this simple? Much of what you said describes his normal play when he's healthy... When does he ever hit people or finish checks? He's never been very physical along the boards at all... He usually tries to move the puck quickly along the boards to avoids hits, etc...

Quote:
Also, I don't think his shoulder has fully healed. Well, it's not a matter of "thinking", it's just that a separated shoulder takes a damn long time to heal.
This is speculation... How do you account for his strong games in between all the crappy ones then? Was his shoulder not hurting against the Canes then? If he disappears tonight, was his shoulder hurting him again?

I'm basing my opinion off Tortorella's comments to the media, not just the above but all season... He's very protective of his players and he's not responding in the typical P.C. way as if he was protecting the play of an "injured" player... He's responding like a coach who knows his high-end forward is struggling and he's putting responsibility on the player to pick-up his play.... He's essentially calling Gaborik out in a professional manner... He's saying the Rangers won't succeed (go far) if Gaborik doesn't pick-up his play... Doesn't sound like something a head coach would do if he knew his player was incapable of doing so due to any injuries.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

He seems terrified of going into the corner and getting hit. He was never a grinder. But he would at least drive the net, take hits, etc.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to me it looks like hes not taking the puck to the net, instead hes trying to get other ppl involved by almost becoming a playmaker. to me that says either his shoulder is hurt still and he cant shoot as hard as he wants, or, he lacks confidence in his ability to score and its mental.

personally i think its both...his shot doesnt look as hard as it used to, and he looks like a guy who thinks he probably wont score instead of a guy who knows he can score

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He seems terrified of going into the corner and getting hit. He was never a grinder. But he would at least drive the net, take hits, etc.
People were discussing earlier about teams "figuring Gaborik out"... I didn't buy into that too much but one thing is for sure, if you're playing defense on him, you cheat towards the center of the ice, because that's how he scores most of his goals, cutting across the ice and firing off a hard wrist shot... He's been mostly ineffective trying to go wide on defensemen and it's not leading to anything... Any defensemen who knows what he's doing is going to play Gabby in that manner...

Old
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't get why this is such a mystery. It's not just his body that is made of glass it is also his heart. He doesn't have the drive to win and fight or the will to sacrifice by playing through discomfort.

Am I a doctor? No.

Does this sound "old school"? Yes, but this has nothing to do with his nationality.

Is it what I've learned from following him extensively for 5.5 years? Absolutely.