HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Point Grades

Old
01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Mid-Point Grades

So I figured we could just do a grades thread now that we're 41 games in.

Mike Richards:
A-, having one of his better ES scoring years so far, defense could be a bit better although a lot of that may be his linemates.

Claude Giroux:
A, quieter recently, but still on pace for a solid season, still searching for a long-term spot IMO.

Jeff Carter: B+, moved past some really crappy line placements and has really started to assert himself all over the ice at ES, could use more goals.

Danny Briere: A, 40 goal pace and hasn't really hurt us defensively.

Ville Leino:
A, Just an ES force, I think he's underrated defensively and a great passer.

Scott Hartnell: A, always a noticeable presence now, miles better from last year.

Matt Carle:
C, Has done a really nice job on offense at ES, but still defensively iffy and has been really poor on the PP. Too many nights where it seems like he's the worst player on the ice.

JVR: B, He was a D for about 15 games and has been an A since, outside shot at 25 goals which isn't bad considering how he started.

Kimmo Timonen:
B+, I think he's definitely slowing down, not quite the elite No.1 that he was in 07-08 and 08-09, but still a great player for us.

Andreas Nodl: A, missed some chances, but all in all, has done a really great job.

Chris Pronger: B-, that Carle-Pronger pairing struggled a lot, not having the same type of monster defensive season he did last year. It's actually encouraging that we're doing this well despite not getting Pronger's best game yet (plus he's missed time).

Nik Zherdev: C, F on some nights, A on others, hard to lock him down.

Andrej Meszaros: B+, has done what was asked of him, still wouldn't mind seeing some more offense, not sure how he's only scored 1 goal considering how good his shot is.

Darroll Powe: B, done a nice job for the most part, still frustrates me a lot.

Sean O'Donnell: B+, does a great job with a minimum amount of fuss, really solidifying presence, only really had a few bad games on the year.

Blair Betts:
B, tough to judge him considering his revolving door of linemates, I am not sold at all on the Betts-Powe PK pairing though.

Braydon Coburn:
C, Zero offense, too many penalties, and some defensive clangers. Too often, his best nights are when you don't notice him which is fine for someone like OD, but you'd want to see more from a player with Coburn's sckills.

Jody Shelley: F, log of ****.

Sergei Bobrovsky: A, really, you couldn't expect any more, glad that he is getting a break.

Boucher: A, for a career backup, this has been impressive so far.

Lavi: A, really done a great job of getting max effort and performance out of this team, quite possibly the best coach we've had for a very, very, very long time.

MVP:
The Briere line, I can't choose any one member because they're all pretty essential. I know they don't play a ton, but I feel like that line has set a positive tone for us on so many nights. Always a go-to line for scoring and have won several games on their own.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Can't really disagree with any of your grades.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
pretty good ratings.

Lavi is a bit stubborn with the lines at times, but otherwise he has been an A

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I think C is a little harsh for Carle (B-/C+). I'd probably give Zherdev an Inc. ... not sure we know.

Otherwise looks good.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Mike Richards:
A-: Having a great good production year, even with some bad line mates. Still needs to get better at FOs.

Claude Giroux:
A-: Really showing why he deserves to be a center, proving he can handle any situation; PP, PK, ES dieing minutes of the game. Still needs

Jeff Carter: B+: Has been able to handle the line blender. Has also shown great defensive awareness, and has become a real FO monster this season. He would have gotten an A, but his goal shortage has become a little worrisome. It seems the league has learned about Jeff Carter's willingness to shoot from anywhere.

Danny Briere: A-: Having a possible Career year for goals and the line seems to be unstoppable. He has a serious temper, and is to loose with his "stick work", which might cost us one day. His FOs could be better.

Ville Leino:
B+: Really shows that he can protect the puck and still send out a great pass no matter who is covering him.

Scott Hartnell: B+: Whether he is playing stupid or smart, you always notice him on the ice, and that is a very unique characteristic. Would he be doing this good if we didn't strike gold on the MVP line?

Matt Carle:
C+, Career year for point? He hasn't been the same on the PP like last year, and is very shaky at holding the line.

JVR: B-, Scratching him has seemed to spark new life into JVR, but how long will it last? He is a very streaky player and seems like once his confidence is hurt, it takes him along time to get out of it. He has shown great speed and endurance, but needs to keep driving to the net.

Kimmo Timonen:
A-: The man knows how defend and does some magic at keeping the line, but another year older and another decline in point production.

Andreas Nodl: B+: Has really made his nick name NoGoal that much more amusing. He isn't afraid to drive the net, and is solid defensively. He still has a long way to go to prove himself.

Chris Pronger: A-, We all knew his injury would have some effect on him, but he hasn't quite looked Prongeresque. His morale and leadership qualities are still irreplaceable and just having him around bolsters our other defensmen.

Nik Zherdev: C+: He can score some pretty goals, and that's about it. I knew what he was going to be, and after watching years of Kovalez on the Habs, I was prepared. The coaching of him could probably have been handled better, but for 2mil you couldn't ask for much more.

Andrej Meszaros: A-, Monster shot, just hasn't found the back of the net enough. He has brought some really physicality to our back end, since Pronger has slowed down in that area, and Coburn... well Coburn

Darroll Powe: C+: Has tones of energy and sometimes to much to know what to do with it. He is just to inconsistent to be considered anything better than an intermittent 3rd liner and a PKer.

Sean O'Donnell: B-: Struggled with some basic decisions in his own zone at the beginning of the year, but that has cleared up and really began to gel with Mez. Seems willing to drop the gloves in defense of our players when needed.

Blair Betts:
B: Seems to be the only one constantly moving on the PK no matter how long he has been out there, but his FO % has dropped a bit from previous years.

Braydon Coburn:
C+: Love and Hate. He shows signs of pure brilliance, then burns the bulb out. He still hasn't perfected his physical side of the game, and gets brushed off way to easily sometimes.

Jody Shelley: D: Does some stupid plays, but can draw some penalties and crush some bodies. But for his cost and speed, Carcillo has a much larger upside.

Sergei Bobrovsky: B+: Rookie goalie making Leighton obsolete in 2 weeks, can you ask for more? Bobo has show amazing quickness and flexebility, but he still needs to improve his communication, stick handling and maybe coming out of the net a bit more. Finally a great goalie prospect.

Boucher: B+: He has been playing solid this year. Almost day and night from last year (beside the last stretch). He still gets himself in awkward situations and lets in highlight reel goals, and not the good highlight reel ones.

Lavi: B+: His handling of Z could possibly be done better, but that is a difficult situation. The most irritating of his decisions is constantly playing Shelly. I wouldn't be so frustrated if he at least swapped him in and out every other game, but at this time it seems like Shelly is the Super Star of this team .

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Garbage Goal

Agree with everything in the OP. I have a few criticisms of Lavi though. He's a bit stubborn with the lines, keeps playing Shelley, has the whole Zherdev thing going on, and I don't agree with the "ride the hot hand until he dies" philosophy. Still a great coach though that is pivotal to our success though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

spot on for the most part, but i have a few issues:

The only weak spot in meszaros game right now is his ineffectiveness on the powerplay. A-.

The A you gave Nodl is a bit generous. I agree he's done more than was asked of him at the beginning of the year, but we forget sometimes that Nodl is (almost) a 3rd year player right now with playoff experience, including his important defensive role in the Boston series with carter out of the lineup. It's great that Nodl is FINALLY finding a bit of a finishing touch, but it's time for him to kick it into a new gear, especially if he's gonna play on a line with richards and JVR. B+

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:09 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

Scott Hartnell: A, always a noticeable presence now, miles better from last year.
[B]
I am just so damn relieved that Hartnell has found his groove again.

six sigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
BringBackStevens

I would give Carle a B but otherwise agree

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Cleary84

I'm giving Kimmo an A-. Never a game that goes by without him blocking a ton of shots and hurting after it. Great on-ice leader that keeps the group together with the loss of Pronger. I agree with an above post that his babysitting Coburn holds him back offensively.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post

Mike Richards:
A-: Having a great good production year, even with some bad line mates. Still needs to get better at FOs.

Claude Giroux:
A-: Really showing why he deserves to be a center, proving he can handle any situation; PP, PK, ES dieing minutes of the game. Still needs

Jeff Carter: B+: Has been able to handle the line blender. Has also shown great defensive awareness, and has become a real FO monster this season. He would have gotten an A, but his goal shortage has become a little worrisome. It seems the league has learned about Jeff Carter's willingness to shoot from anywhere.

Danny Briere: A-: Having a possible Career year for goals and the line seems to be unstoppable. He has a serious temper, and is to loose with his "stick work", which might cost us one day. His FOs could be better.

Ville Leino:
B+: Really shows that he can protect the puck and still send out a great pass no matter who is covering him.

Scott Hartnell: B+: Whether he is playing stupid or smart, you always notice him on the ice, and that is a very unique characteristic. Would he be doing this good if we didn't strike gold on the MVP line?

Matt Carle:
C+, Career year for point? He hasn't been the same on the PP like last year, and is very shaky at holding the line.

JVR: B-, Scratching him has seemed to spark new life into JVR, but how long will it last? He is a very streaky player and seems like once his confidence is hurt, it takes him along time to get out of it. He has shown great speed and endurance, but needs to keep driving to the net.

Kimmo Timonen:
A-: The man knows how defend and does some magic at keeping the line, but another year older and another decline in point production.

Andreas Nodl: B+: Has really made his nick name NoGoal that much more amusing. He isn't afraid to drive the net, and is solid defensively. He still has a long way to go to prove himself.

Chris Pronger: A-, We all knew his injury would have some effect on him, but he hasn't quite looked Prongeresque. His morale and leadership qualities are still irreplaceable and just having him around bolsters our other defensmen.

Nik Zherdev: C+: He can score some pretty goals, and that's about it. I knew what he was going to be, and after watching years of Kovalez on the Habs, I was prepared. The coaching of him could probably have been handled better, but for 2mil you couldn't ask for much more.

Andrej Meszaros: A-, Monster shot, just hasn't found the back of the net enough. He has brought some really physicality to our back end, since Pronger has slowed down in that area, and Coburn... well Coburn

Darroll Powe: C+: Has tones of energy and sometimes to much to know what to do with it. He is just to inconsistent to be considered anything better than an intermittent 3rd liner and a PKer.

Sean O'Donnell: B-: Struggled with some basic decisions in his own zone at the beginning of the year, but that has cleared up and really began to gel with Mez. Seems willing to drop the gloves in defense of our players when needed.

Blair Betts:
B: Seems to be the only one constantly moving on the PK no matter how long he has been out there, but his FO % has dropped a bit from previous years.

Braydon Coburn:
C+: Love and Hate. He shows signs of pure brilliance, then burns the bulb out. He still hasn't perfected his physical side of the game, and gets brushed off way to easily sometimes.

Jody Shelley: D: Does some stupid plays, but can draw some penalties and crush some bodies. But for his cost and speed, Carcillo has a much larger upside.

Sergei Bobrovsky: B+: Rookie goalie making Leighton obsolete in 2 weeks, can you ask for more? Bobo has show amazing quickness and flexebility, but he still needs to improve his communication, stick handling and maybe coming out of the net a bit more. Finally a great goalie prospect.

Boucher: B+: He has been playing solid this year. Almost day and night from last year (beside the last stretch). He still gets himself in awkward situations and lets in highlight reel goals, and not the good highlight reel ones.

Lavi: B+: His handling of Z could possibly be done better, but that is a difficult situation. The most irritating of his decisions is constantly playing Shelly. I wouldn't be so frustrated if he at least swapped him in and out every other game, but at this time it seems like Shelly is the Super Star of this team .
I agree much more with these grades. The OP was a little too Paula Abdul for me.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree much more with these grades. The OP was a little too Paula Abdul for me.
Well, we have the most points in the conference despite our best player missing time and not having the season he did last year, I honestly can't really crab at that many guys, everyone's performing pretty much the best I would expect them to perform with a few exceptions.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote