HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2010 (part 4)

View Poll Results: Trade Markov for Parise?
Yes 99 68.28%
No 32 22.07%
Not straight up 14 9.66%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
habsfan92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Hemsky makes no sense for the Habs. Another perimeter player and playmaker. Habs need a guy that can score.
Replacing AK, who doesn't get the pp time or even a shift in OT for a reasonably effective point producer does make sense. What doesn't make sense is assuming you can trade players you don't want for big, goal-scoring physical top six players that can fit under your cap. That is dreaming. Maybe you could, but you would lose Patches & Subban doing it. Trading your leg for an arm. Getting Hemsky would be a step forward, but not a leap. Might help but wouldn't hurt. Even if it didn't work out, he is under contract for 1 more year & would have more trade value than AK, who by the way I do like, but cannot play under Martin's system.

Old
01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
RE-HABS

Calgary has a lot of Dmen and they need youth in the forwards, AK to Flames for Regehr would be nice. We would need to replace AK with a forward, but maybe a move to the wing for Eller would be good?

Old
01-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Hemsky does not adress the need for size on the top 6. As a matter of fact, I'd rather have Penner as the Oilers are likely to ask for less in return.

Old
01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
jmurray77

Jason Arnott is a possibility w/ the looming firesale in NJ. He is big 6-5 age 36 and expiring. Would be had for nothing. He does make 4.5 million but w/ Georges going down I think MTL has 3.7 left in salary cap space. So a low pick and some filler would work Pyatt or something.

Pleks arnott cammy
Gomez Gio max
Eller Clarkson Pouliot
Halpern Darche Moen

Maybe Andrei, Desharnais and pick for Clarkson and Arnott.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:56 AM
not quite yoda

Improving our offence: bring back Tanguay?

I am not suggesting a 1 for 1 Tanguay-Kostitsyn swap. More like

Tanguay for picks + prospects
Kostitsyn for picks + prospects
2 distinct deals but one guy would fill the other's spot.

My thinking is that Kostitsyn is struggling and is clearly in Martin's doghouse. Also, he hasn' t really progressed since his 56 point season with Pleks and Kovalev 3 years ago. He is nearly invisible in the playoffs.

We need forwards that play solid D to please Martin. Tanguay fits the bill and his pass first mentality will help generate scoring chances for Cammalleri. He's affordable at 1.7M, having a +30 pt season after 40 games, just turned 31. His shoulder problems seem to be a thing of the past.

Seems to me CGY will be sellers.

Last edited by not quite yoda: 01-09-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old
01-09-2011, 06:05 AM
HabsDood

nope

Old
01-09-2011, 06:10 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

no no no!

Old
01-09-2011, 06:18 AM
la25ecoupe

????????????

Old
01-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Calgary has a lot of Dmen and they need youth in the forwards, AK to Flames for Regehr would be nice. We would need to replace AK with a forward, but maybe a move to the wing for Eller would be good?
If Calgary makes deals they'll want picks and prospects, not guys 1 yaer from UFA.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
I am not suggesting a 1 for 1 Tanguay-Kostitsyn swap. More like

Tanguay for picks + prospects
Kostitsyn for picks + prospects
2 distinct deals but one guy would fill the other's spot.

My thinking is that Kostitsyn is struggling and is clearly in Martin's doghouse. Also, he hasn' t really progressed since his 56 point season with Pleks and Kovalev 3 years ago. He is nearly invisible in the playoffs.

We need forwards that play solid D to please Martin. Tanguay fits the bill and his pass first mentality will help generate scoring chances for Cammalleri. He's affordable at 1.7M, having a +30 pt season after 40 games, just turned 31. His shoulder problems seem to be a thing of the past.

Seems to me CGY will be sellers.
Not a big fan of Tanguay...at least if AK isn't scoring he can run people over. The only way I'd take him is if he came really cheap...

Old
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

With our dismantled D and without guarantees as of how Markov will project next season, I still think we need to bolster our D and try to keep weary legs to a minimum. Now this is nothing against Hamrlik, Gill or Spacek, but they are aging. We cannot expect them to have cornerstone roles anymore. The load will bring them down despite the fact that they have stepped to the plate admirably for two seasons now.

Out of those 3, Gill is already used in a specific role. Also his influence in the locker room has still been publicly acknowledged by teammates and the press. I think he is the only keeper.

This would leave us with (no priority in pairing):

Gorges - Wiz
Gill - Subban
Markov - RD

Yes, we must resign Markov - we all know how determined Markov is, his bill of health should be 100%. Out of respect for this stellar D-man, if we can get a reasonable contract (length wize moreso then money wize), then this is not even worth discussing.

We have in the ranks Weber and Carle to fill that last spot. But with Wisniewski on the roster, they may have become - both - expendable.

Alexandre Picard is an honest defenseman and a 7LD role could be acceptable for him - but not for Weber and Carle who's chances to crack top 4 minutes are scarce. For Picard, he would have to battle for that 7th sport with the likes of Spacek. But let's face it, between the two, management would keep Spacek because of his experience and getting worth - and not necessarily value - out of his contract.

It comes down to two objectives and two assumptions:

Objective #1: Find a LD that can be a security policy in case Markov' career is in jeopardy.

Objective #2: Find a RH defensive defenseman that will hit, block and clear.

Assumption #1: Gill and Spacek are filler's until Tinordi matures ( OK I'm strecthing this one a bit).

Assumption #2: Wiz is signed to a fitting contract.

We need to bolster our defense NOW and for the upcoming seasons. What is our trade bait?

I have read most parts of this thread. I understand the pov's in regards to AK46, nonetheless he is our only REAL bargaining chip.

The question comes down to: Can AK46's production (points and hits wize) can be balanced out by the production of others on the roster?

Can the likes of Pacioretty, Pouliot, Eller and - especially in the hitting department - White can make up for the inconsistency of AK46?

When our veteran players, the Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri-Plekanec's get their game going - as of now it's not going anywhere - could we be inclined - with the regular season coming to an end - to think that this could also compensate for the lost of AK46's contribution? Need I dare say that AK46 is not a "playoff" performer?

So...

Here's the package, AK + Weber and round out with a pick or a good prospect if needed (Maxwell/Palushaj perhaps?)

Now, what team needs some punch in their top 6 and have a stable defense that could withstand the loss of a body on D? And cap space, of course...

Not saying I did an exaustive search, but Nashville may be a suitor.

They're scoring is disparsed throughout their roster and they need to battle against the likes of Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver and San Jose. They'll need more bite in the attacking zone.

Two defenseman could be targeted:
Kevin Klein - age 26 - RH - 68 hits - 85 blks - 6-1 201 lbs - 2.7M/2yrs - UFA
Cody Franson - age 23 - RH - 45 hits - 23 blks - 6-5 213 lbs - 0.800M/1yrs - RFA

Also, they own us for Sergei...

Not saying that we offer AK + Weber + pick or prospect but this is what we have to work with. Nashville will need to round out also in the deal.

Plausible? Other opportunities to seek out?

Old
01-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
So, anyone for AK & Weber to EDM for Hemsky? Cap hit about the same, and Hemsky is a pretty flashy player the crowd would love.
I think Hemsky would cost more. He's a bonafide star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Hemsky makes no sense for the Habs. Another perimeter player and playmaker. Habs need a guy that can score.
Cammalleri or Gionta, maybe even Pouliot or Pacioretty would score in bunches playing with Hemsky.

Old
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
kaberle to montreal

What would it take to get this guy

Old
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Smoke Monster

to MONTREAL Canadiens: Brad Richards, Karlis Skrastins
to MONTREAL Canadiens: Robyn Regehr, Anton Babchuk, Mikael Backlund
to MONTREAL Canadiens: Tim Gleason

to DALLAS Stars: 2011 first round pick, Jaroslav Spacek, Aaron Palushaj
to CALGARY Flames: Roman Hamrlik, Karlis Skrastins, Lars Eller, 2011 3rd round pick
to CAROLINA Hurricanes: Andrei Kostitsyn

FORWARDS
Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.800m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Mikael Backlund ($1.270m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.600m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Tim Gleason ($2.750m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.400m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) /Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,007,976; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,817,024

Old
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
le_sean

Your proposals are laughable. I hope you're just kidding.

Old
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
euphrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
What would it take to get this guy
a box of waffels

Old
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
With our dismantled D and without guarantees as of how Markov will project next season, I still think we need to bolster our D and try to keep weary legs to a minimum. Now this is nothing against Hamrlik, Gill or Spacek, but they are aging. We cannot expect them to have cornerstone roles anymore. The load will bring them down despite the fact that they have stepped to the plate admirably for two seasons now.

Out of those 3, Gill is already used in a specific role. Also his influence in the locker room has still been publicly acknowledged by teammates and the press. I think he is the only keeper.

This would leave us with (no priority in pairing):

Gorges - Wiz
Gill - Subban
Markov - RD

Yes, we must resign Markov - we all know how determined Markov is, his bill of health should be 100%. Out of respect for this stellar D-man, if we can get a reasonable contract (length wize moreso then money wize), then this is not even worth discussing.

We have in the ranks Weber and Carle to fill that last spot. But with Wisniewski on the roster, they may have become - both - expendable.

Alexandre Picard is an honest defenseman and a 7LD role could be acceptable for him - but not for Weber and Carle who's chances to crack top 4 minutes are scarce. For Picard, he would have to battle for that 7th sport with the likes of Spacek. But let's face it, between the two, management would keep Spacek because of his experience and getting worth - and not necessarily value - out of his contract.

It comes down to two objectives and two assumptions:

Objective #1: Find a LD that can be a security policy in case Markov' career is in jeopardy.

Objective #2: Find a RH defensive defenseman that will hit, block and clear.

Assumption #1: Gill and Spacek are filler's until Tinordi matures ( OK I'm strecthing this one a bit).

Assumption #2: Wiz is signed to a fitting contract.

We need to bolster our defense NOW and for the upcoming seasons. What is our trade bait?

I have read most parts of this thread. I understand the pov's in regards to AK46, nonetheless he is our only REAL bargaining chip.

The question comes down to: Can AK46's production (points and hits wize) can be balanced out by the production of others on the roster?

Can the likes of Pacioretty, Pouliot, Eller and - especially in the hitting department - White can make up for the inconsistency of AK46?

When our veteran players, the Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri-Plekanec's get their game going - as of now it's not going anywhere - could we be inclined - with the regular season coming to an end - to think that this could also compensate for the lost of AK46's contribution? Need I dare say that AK46 is not a "playoff" performer?

So...

Here's the package, AK + Weber and round out with a pick or a good prospect if needed (Maxwell/Palushaj perhaps?)

Now, what team needs some punch in their top 6 and have a stable defense that could withstand the loss of a body on D? And cap space, of course...

Not saying I did an exaustive search, but Nashville may be a suitor.

They're scoring is disparsed throughout their roster and they need to battle against the likes of Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver and San Jose. They'll need more bite in the attacking zone.

Two defenseman could be targeted:
Kevin Klein - age 26 - RH - 68 hits - 85 blks - 6-1 201 lbs - 2.7M/2yrs - UFA
Cody Franson - age 23 - RH - 45 hits - 23 blks - 6-5 213 lbs - 0.800M/1yrs - RFA

Also, they own us for Sergei...

Not saying that we offer AK + Weber + pick or prospect but this is what we have to work with. Nashville will need to round out also in the deal.

Plausible? Other opportunities to seek out?
Very nice post, we're definitely on the same page. Nashville i've been following all year because i have Colin Wilson and Cal O'reilly in my pool and they're definitely a team to pay attention to. Still, I doubt they'd trade a D-man like the ones you mentioned for a winger. Their real problem right now, due to injuries, is at center. Lombardi hasn't played this year, and O'Reilly is out for two months with a broken leg. Erat and Sullivan will both be back within a week, and they're their two best wingers. Despite these horrible injuries, they've won 5 in a row, so i doubt they're thinking about trading a good d-man.

I've thought about it a lot, and it's really not obvious to a find a destination for Kostitsyn. You're right to pick a team in the West that's contending for a spot in the playoffs, especially a team that had or has high expectations to win this year. Maybe a team like the Kings, who have been slumping of late or San Jose.

But on the other side of the coin, If we think that AK isn't a guy that is a "playoff guy" then most other teams probably don't think so either. Maybe he's better suited to be traded to a team that has little or no designs for the playoffs this year, and is just trying to find a new dirrction for their team. The first team i think of is the Calgary Flames. That team is going nowhere fast. I'd consider it to be the second worst organization in the NHL right now, (just ahead of the Leafs). At least the Islanders have Tavares improving to look forward to. The Devils have Kovalchuk and Parise. The Oilers, Hall et al. Calgary has an aging Iginla, Bourque who's very good but not a star, and Boumeister who's been a real disappointment. All to say that they don't really have much to look forward to. AK could be the type of guy who could be a new face, a guy that they could say to "you're our new star along Iginla". I think he's a lot like Kovalev in that he needs to know he's the go-to guy to really perform to his capacity. As long as Plex, Gionta and Cammy are on this team, he'll always play second fiddle to them.

So with all that said, maybe a Regher or Sarich could be gotten from Calgary for that AK+ deal.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:38 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
to MONTREAL Canadiens: Brad Richards, Karlis Skrastins
to MONTREAL Canadiens: Robyn Regehr, Anton Babchuk, Mikael Backlund
to MONTREAL Canadiens: Tim Gleason

to DALLAS Stars: 2011 first round pick, Jaroslav Spacek, Aaron Palushaj
to CALGARY Flames: Roman Hamrlik, Karlis Skrastins, Lars Eller, 2011 3rd round pick
to CAROLINA Hurricanes: Andrei Kostitsyn

FORWARDS
Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.800m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Mikael Backlund ($1.270m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.600m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Tim Gleason ($2.750m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.400m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) /Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,007,976; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,817,024
Please stop with all of these insane trade ideas, line combinations and salary cap numbers...

Old
01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Emanresu Wen

Should we trade for Visnovsky this summer?

Similar salary as Hamrlik, who will be gone july 1st

Veteran offensive defenseman who was almost a ppger back in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 on a weak Kings team

Old
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Similar salary as Hamrlik, who will be gone july 1st

Veteran offensive defenseman who was almost a ppger back in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 on a weak Kings team
He's very underrated, however the Ducks won't part with him, they have a weak blueline.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Something tells me that Markov (if the surgery is successful), Gorges and Wisniewski will be re-signed.

Old
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Emanresu Wen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Something tells me that Markov (if the surgery is successful), Gorges and Wisniewski will be re-signed.
Markov - Subban
Visnovksy - Wisniewski
Gorges - Weber

Old
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Markov - Subban
Visnovksy - Wisniewski
Gorges - Weber
Visnovsky and Wisniewski on the same team/pairing? Are you trying to give Benoit Brunet an aneurysm?

Wait a minute...

Old
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Very nice post, we're definitely on the same page. Nashville i've been following all year because i have Colin Wilson and Cal O'reilly in my pool and they're definitely a team to pay attention to. Still, I doubt they'd trade a D-man like the ones you mentioned for a winger. Their real problem right now, due to injuries, is at center. Lombardi hasn't played this year, and O'Reilly is out for two months with a broken leg. Erat and Sullivan will both be back within a week, and they're their two best wingers. Despite these horrible injuries, they've won 5 in a row, so i doubt they're thinking about trading a good d-man.

I've thought about it a lot, and it's really not obvious to a find a destination for Kostitsyn. You're right to pick a team in the West that's contending for a spot in the playoffs, especially a team that had or has high expectations to win this year. Maybe a team like the Kings, who have been slumping of late or San Jose.

But on the other side of the coin, If we think that AK isn't a guy that is a "playoff guy" then most other teams probably don't think so either. Maybe he's better suited to be traded to a team that has little or no designs for the playoffs this year, and is just trying to find a new dirrction for their team. The first team i think of is the Calgary Flames. That team is going nowhere fast. I'd consider it to be the second worst organization in the NHL right now, (just ahead of the Leafs). At least the Islanders have Tavares improving to look forward to. The Devils have Kovalchuk and Parise. The Oilers, Hall et al. Calgary has an aging Iginla, Bourque who's very good but not a star, and Boumeister who's been a real disappointment. All to say that they don't really have much to look forward to. AK could be the type of guy who could be a new face, a guy that they could say to "you're our new star along Iginla". I think he's a lot like Kovalev in that he needs to know he's the go-to guy to really perform to his capacity. As long as Plex, Gionta and Cammy are on this team, he'll always play second fiddle to them.

So with all that said, maybe a Regher or Sarich could be gotten from Calgary for that AK+ deal.
Regher would make sense as CGY needs cap space (next year) and trading now evens out salary wize:

Regher remains 1.9M
AK + Weber remains 1.8M

Regher would make a terrific replacement for Hamrlik.

Markov - Wisniewski
Regher - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Spacek

w/ Markov
Regher - Wisniewski
Spacek - Subban
Gill -Gorges
Picard

Old
01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Regher would make sense as CGY needs cap space (next year) and trading now evens out salary wize:

Regher remains 1.9M
AK + Weber remains 1.8M

Regher would make a terrific replacement for Hamrlik.

Markov - Wisniewski
Regher - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Spacek

w/ Markov
Regher - Wisniewski
Spacek - Subban
Gill -Gorges
Picard
If this were actually possible (meaning Calgary would want to do it) I think it's a no-brainer.

1. The only guy in our system that might pan out like Regher is Tinordi and that's not for at least another two years.

2. AK is not a dime a dozen. I think he's a special player. That said, I don't think he has that much more potential than Pouliot. I think Pouliot could easily fill AK's spot for at least the rest of the season on the top line and do an as good, if not better job.

3. A guy like Regher is needed for the future, anyways. We're going to lose d-men next year, so we need replacements. AK on the other hand is not necessarily needed for the future because we have a bunch of high-priced forwards locked up for years to come. That coupled with other young talents knocking at the door (Leblanc, Kristo, Avtsin, Desharnais), makes AK potentially expendable.

All this, coupled with the reality that we're slim on D with Gorges and Markov out for the year makes a trade of AK for a D completely logical. All we neeed to do now is psychically transmit this logic over to Gauthier and get a trade done!

Closed Thread