HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh Up / Del Zotto Down

Old
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I cringe at the fact that bringing Bergeron over probably cost us Roenick or Selanne or Brindamour, but I think he never got enough credit letting Granato and Leetch (and later Turcotte and Miller) be themselves for one season.

Even though they were 1st round casualties, the 1988-89 rangers were young and a lot of fun to watch

As for Del Zotto, I see a lot of the early 90s Scott Niedermayer in him. Nidermayer was a thoroughbred but he made a lot of mistakes. He finally opened peoples eyes with the goal in the 1995 Finals. But before that, his defensive shortcomings were overlooked because a) he played in a defensive system and b) had three of the best defensive defensemen of the era playing alongside him.

Poor Del Zotto. There is nobody there to mentor this kid. Must have been nice for Niedermayer to come up with a team with two hall of fame defensemen in the locker stalls next to his.
What the hell??? Redden is there. DUH!

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
The Mouth

Do You guys know where this Del Zotto is an arrogant show off angle is coming from ?

Seems some fans think so, I don't get that from him. I just heard Boomer on WFAN (yes i know) say he think's MDZ believes he's Brian Leetch, Bobby Orr, and Brad Park out there"

Every interview I see of MDZ he seems level headed.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Do You guys know where this Del Zotto is an arrogant show off angle is coming from ?

Seems some fans think so, I don't get that from him. I just heard Boomer on WFAN (yes i know) say he think's MDZ believes he's Brian Leetch, Bobby Orr, and Brad Park out there"

He comes off as 'too cool for school'.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

That sometimes happens with young players when they're successful too early. Head gets too big.

Old
01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
He comes off as 'too cool for school'.
Guess there was a reason he was cut from all those Canadian Junior tournament teams and slipped to us in the draft. He does have his admirers north of the border however. That announcer "Waters" and his sidekick on the Toronto Leafs intermission report slammed Tort's and Sather for the indignity of sending this fine Canadian boy to the AHL. Especially for McD! They felt it was Torts doing while Sather was asleep or fishing!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post

Yea i don;t know he always seemed like a good stand up kid, even when he was talking about being scratched he seemed to take it well. i knew that once Redden was gone the fans would find a new d-man to turn on, i figured it would be emminger/rozy never thought it would be MDZ

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Guess there was a reason he was cut from all those Canadian Junior tournament teams and slipped to us in the draft. He does have his admirers north of the border however. That announcer "Waters" and his sidekick on the Toronto Leafs intermission report slammed Tort's and Sather for the indignity of sending this fine Canadian boy to the AHL. Especially for McD! They felt it was Torts doing while Sather was asleep or fishing!
I don't see why this is such a big deal. Is it ideal? No. But it's far from unheard of... it's closer to the "norm" actually. Especially for defensemen.

This will help him.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
LeBrun: Del Zotto hadn't played in the four previous Rangers games before being sent down Monday. The Rangers want him to get his confidence back. I'm told he definitely should be back up with the big club at some point. He just needs to let it come to him and not force it; he just wasn't playing with confidence. As for McDonagh, his promotion was noted by Habs fans in cyberspace. That trade looks worse and worse every day. Mind you, I'm told McDonagh won't play Wednesday night, as coach John Tortorella sticks with Matt Gilroy as his sixth defenseman.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-rangers-moves

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
McD should be inserted by giving either Rozi or Eminger a night off. Everyone could use a night off.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
McD should be inserted by giving either Rozi or Eminger a night off. Everyone could use a night off.
Eminger a healthy scratch? Yeah, no thanks. Maybe Rozsival, but he was good against the Lightning.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
That would mean Staal and Girardi would have to play 30+ minutes in order for the team to win. It would be great if the Rangers had the depth to do that, unfortunately, you can't expect a rookie in his first year in the AHL to step-in for NHL veterans without making some mistakes which may cost the game.

However, saying that, I think he should be playing over Gilroy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Why bother bringing McDonagh up if he's not going to play?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Pretty odd.

I read that Tortorella wants to get a look at him in practice. Probably to see how close he's ready.

Maybe there's a trade on the horizon. Like Rozsival. And if you're going to trade a veteran D-man, you better be sure one of your youngins is ready to step in.

Just speculating.

Really, other than that it doesn't make sense why he's up if he's not going to play.
Can't use a young kid for your 7th defenseman.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They seem insistent on keeping 7 dmen around. Also, with Ruslan slightly injured and no spare forwards, in an event of him being unable to play they would be able to dress all 7 dmen with no consequences, as they did once before this year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Procrastinator

imagine that. a 20 year old kid gets sent down to feel like what its riding a bus then flying first class to his next game. hmmm. weird.

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Gernander said he has been happy with the 20-year-old Del Zotto’s play in his first three AHL games.

“He’s been pretty good,” Gernander said of the Rangers’ first-round pick (20th overall) in 2008 who was a member of the NHL’s all-rookie team last season. “He has the two assists on the two game-winners, both real nice passes, and for an offensive player, he has played pretty physical on defensive coverage throwing his weight around. He’s a very competitive kid.”
http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1014

Old
01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

so, DZ looked good in his games with the whale so far?

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Hey, guys, I have had very limited internet access down here in the Bahamas. How has DZ looked in Hartford and how has McD looked up here? I haven't seen a game of McD's yet as a Ranger, obviously.

Hope all is well with all of you guys.

The Bahamas sure is a nice place to spend January. Even if I am doing research.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Levitate

I didn't get to watch the games really closely, but from what I saw, McDonagh looked alright. He's big and strong, and very mobile for all that. Has that strong style of skating that gets him moving faster than it looks like

Rookie jitters though. A little out of position at times, etc. Nothing big, made some nice plays. On Stepan's goal against St. Louis, McDonagh made several very good defensive plays to get the puck back and start the rush going the other direction

If there was a real open roster spot on the blueline I think you'd see him stick and the Rangers develop him in the NHL for the rest of the season, but I imagine he goes back down when Rozsival is healthy again

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hey, guys, I have had very limited internet access down here in the Bahamas. How has DZ looked in Hartford and how has McD looked up here? I haven't seen a game of McD's yet as a Ranger, obviously.

Hope all is well with all of you guys.

The Bahamas sure is a nice place to spend January. Even if I am doing research.
in case you missed it

russia won gold at the wjc

do they serve crow in the bahamas ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
so, DZ looked good in his games with the whale so far?
He might be too good for the AHL.

Old
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts says that Rozsival did not make it all the way through practice and likely will not play tomorrow, meaning Ryan McDonagh would play
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...19105201577984

Old
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts on McDonagh: "His performance on Saturday was night and day from his first game"; coach had brief on-ice what with McDonagh today
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...19348982915072

Old
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
in case you missed it

russia won gold at the wjc

do they serve crow in the bahamas ?

Crow for what? I saw the game with a bunch of Canadians, actually. Russia's talent level is far below what it has been in the past and the Canadians played about as bad as possible in the third.

Russia has a few talented kids, but nothing compared to what they once were. Watching the game did not change that for me at all.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McDonagh is playing against Habs.

Cammalleri is out tomorrow night

Quote:
Michael Cammalleri, still suffering from a flu bug or gastrointestinal problem, is not at Canadiens practice this morning and will not be on the team's charter this afternoon to New York for tomorrow night's game against the Rangers. His status remains unclear for Wednesday's Bell Centre game against Pittsburgh.

This almost surely paves the way for the return to the lineup of Lars Eller, who's been a healthy scratch the past three games.
http://habsinsideout.com/main/42987