HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov Out for Season

Old
01-10-2011, 12:05 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
dang! I thought he'd just be out 1 month with a sprain but that's too bad for anyone to have to endure such an injury. I highly doubt a NHL club will take a chance on him next season. Sucky way to end your NHL career. I don't see him taking a one year $1.5M contract which is probably what he'd get at this point with the injury.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:07 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

hindsight being 20-20 I think the Frolov signing was worth the risk. Clearly the guy just wasn't doing what was required for him to be successful as evidenced by his rather poor point totals.

This is an opportunity for another player, right now that player is KN but if and when Callahan and Christensen return there will be space for one more guy which is a good problem to have I reckon

Its sad to hear the guy got injured because he is going to have a lot of rehab on his plate for the next year or so but I think this is a glass half full situation for NY

Also as much as I think Kennedy would be a nice addition I feel NY needs more size and sandpaper up front so I like the Newbury call and would like to see Weise get a smidge more ice time.

enjoy the KHL Fro, the experiment in NY just didn't work out

Drury ? umm maybe NY can encourage him to retire like Naslund and give him a job in the offices upstairs ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:25 AM
mucker*

So how much does this injury hurt us?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:20 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
hindsight being 20-20 I think the Frolov signing was worth the risk. Clearly the guy just wasn't doing what was required for him to be successful as evidenced by his rather poor point totals.

This is an opportunity for another player, right now that player is KN but if and when Callahan and Christensen return there will be space for one more guy which is a good problem to have I reckon

Its sad to hear the guy got injured because he is going to have a lot of rehab on his plate for the next year or so but I think this is a glass half full situation for NY

Also as much as I think Kennedy would be a nice addition I feel NY needs more size and sandpaper up front so I like the Newbury call and would like to see Weise get a smidge more ice time.

enjoy the KHL Fro, the experiment in NY just didn't work out

Drury ? umm maybe NY can encourage him to retire like Naslund and give him a job in the offices upstairs ?
Drury isnt retiring. He's not going anywhere during this contract. He has two years left. You can wish and hope all you want but it aint happening.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:21 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Newbury is a good gap filling call-up, but his game will be mostly redundant once cally comes back. I mean Cally, Dubi, Boyle, Prust, Fedotanko, Sauer, Girardi, Staal, Eminger, Avery, Weise…. well it isn't exactly a team that needs anymore grit, and skill is a super premium on this squad.

Going to be interesting how the brass addresses that need after Cally's return. Some people believe Grachev is the natural option, others see a Byers type getting a shot. I think it's pretty obvious the need is going to need to be filled from outside the current organization if it's going to be handled decisively and have an impact.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:26 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
So how much does this injury hurt us?
I think it only really hurts us while Prospal, Callahan and Christensen are injured. 16 points in 43 games? Thats not a ton of production to lose and I expect Zuccarello to cough up at least 16 points in the remaining 39 games. Where we are getting hurt in the short term is that we're already a VERY young team and we just lost another veteran to injury. The kids are being leaned on hard to produce now. Newbury's call up only means less time for the 4th line and an even greater dependence on the other 3 lines.

Although Frolov wasn't producing all that much I think what we've really lost here is the possibility of Frolov figuring it all out later in the season. There was always the chance that he was about to snap out of his drought and actually play up to his potential. IMHO he looked like he was starting to get on the right track the past few games. He would have been a great asset if he started producing regularly as we had all hoped.

The silver lining is obviously Zuccarello sticking around and getting good ice time. I don't think many people predicted at the beginning of the season that there would be enough injuries to ensure Zuccarello not only a call-up but seemingly a full-time roster spot.

We'll never know if Frolov was on the verge of picking his game up, unfortunately. But it'll be a whole lot of fun to watch Mats try his hardest every night to seize this opportunity. I don't think he's going to disappoint.

Lose a rental player who wasn't producing - open up opportunities for our talented youth. Sounds like a win in the long term. AND there's no chance of any more Frolov icetime drama.

That being said, (1) I hope Frolov finds himself producing on an NHL team next year, and (2) I am SOOOOOO glad Sather only signed him for one year.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Christensen - Anisimov - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Please.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
ThisYearsModel

Well, I feel sorry for Frolov. I hope this is not the end of his career, but it could very well be. The guy had a crappy year last year, signed for 1 year $3MM to revitalize his value, and now he faces a year of rehab. Poor guy.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:35 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
he would prob get claimed and wed lose him and get stuck paying 1/2 his contract.
Those rules are to me as an european getting redicilos hillarios and not understandable at all.

Just read about Jagr . He who leaved the NHL as a fra agent, most past waiwers to get back.
Make no sense at all.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:37 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Well, I feel sorry for Frolov. I hope this is not the end of his career, but it could very well be. The guy had a crappy year last year, signed for 1 year $3MM to revitalize his value, and now he faces a year of rehab. Poor guy.
Perhaps the end of his NHL career...but I'm sure he'll get a contract in the KHL (especially since those contracts seem to be of the non-guaranteed variety).

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 01-10-2011 at 02:42 AM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
fredrikstad

What happen to a sertant players salary when he is injured? Do he get paid anyway,or will he need a insurance to get paid?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
3 Most important players Stall, Lundy, Dubi, than Cally, Gaborik, Prust imo.
Forgot Girardi.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

This team can try to fill from within for now... they may be able to sustain they're good play... but to take it to the next level the solution will have to come from outside the org.

That is if Grachev isn't ready.

The loss of Fro won't hurt too much on the scoresheet but it'll hurt plenty as far as experience and reliability goes.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

First im hearing thats hes out for the season - too bad for the guy... hate to see any injuries like that.

There are some positives and negatives to this injury but my first reaction is not happiness like some of the posters here.

Negatives:

• Another damn injury, and long term at that

•Erases the possibility of flipping him in a deal for a player or pick

• Any time a starting roster player goes down, its not a good thing. Regardless of how hes been performing offensively. Hes a big body and despite what some people think he wasnt playing badly away fromt he puck. Thats important. If you arent scoring then you have to be in the right areas of the ice. He also had the ability of keeping the puck. Thats very important in this system, regardless of what he did with it offensively. Whenever you are swapping an NHL vet with a rookie you give something away, even if the transition from the Whale to the Rangers should be "seamless" as far as the system goes. The player is going to have to earn some trust from Torts first and that could affect the lines and it sends a ripple effect through the team... How big of an effect? probably not that much, but its still a negative.

• Whenever you lose a 30 goal scorer, cold or not, its not a good thing especially for a playoff bound team. Sometimes you have that guy lay dormant the whole year and suddenly the last week or the season or in the first round of the playoffs he catches fire and starts potting huge goals. That potential is lost for the season. Having that depth waiting in the weeds is important in this league.

• Its just another injury to overcome

Positives:

• It will give someone else a chance and we've seen what the kids can do from the farm.

• It will most likely allow MZA to stick around once Cally comes back...

• It will give the Rangers more cap flexibility going into the trade deadline. 3 million more to be exact. That could be the biggest positive depending on what Sather does.

• Obviously Frolov wasn't having the greatest year, so at least this all but cements that he wont be back next year - Going into the year we were wondering what kind of room the Rangers would have this summer resigning guys. This opens up some more room for guys like Boyle who to this point has really turned his career around, and Callahan, Anisimov and Sauer. All guys you want keep and all getting a raise. (Gilroy and Fedotenko are also decisions to be made)

• Its just another injury to overcome

-----------------------------------------------

Add up all the positives and negatives... it could work either way. Short term, I think Frolov means more to this team than people think (not by much though). I think in the end, if Sather uses the 3 Mil correctly at the deadline or earlier, it could prove to be more positive than negative, especially considering you dont have to resign Frolov in the summer to a large contract.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old
01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Jim Morrison

In my opinion, Andrew Brunette would be the logical answer. UFA after this season, $2.3m cap-hit and has amazing chemistry with Gabby, which would be more than welcomed.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:08 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Out for the year? ****. What a bad signing this turned out to be.
Yeah, I guess Sather's crystal ball malfunctioned.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
In my opinion, Andrew Brunette would be the logical answer. UFA after this season, $2.3m cap-hit and has amazing chemistry with Gabby, which would be more than welcomed.
Brunette mixes is up and would fit nicely in Torts system. Has similar numbers to Frolov this season, is on pace for about 20 G. Adds some veteran presence, and always shows up in the postseason.

I wouldnt be against this but i have a feeling with the 3 million opened up Torts is going to push Sather hard for Richards if he can be had. If you have plans in bringing in a dynamic center of any sort for Gabby (and i cant see why they wouldnt) i think that cap space would be repurposed specifically for that. Gabby is having trouble creating his own chances and you need a big threat line for the opposition to focus on/worry about in the playoffs... not to mention a boost to the PP.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Yeah, I guess Sather's crystal ball malfunctioned.
OR maybe it worked just fine.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

and the slow death spiral career path continues for that once prized prospect

evgeny grachev

seems odd he isnt givin another looksee. i mean, at one time, he was a blue chip kid...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Brunette mixes is up and would fit nicely in Torts system. Has similar numbers to Frolov this season, is on pace for about 20 G. Adds some veteran presence, and always shows up in the postseason.

I wouldnt be against this but i have a feeling with the 3 million opened up Torts is going to push Sather hard for Richards if he can be had. If you have plans in bringing in a dynamic center of any sort for Gabby (and i cant see why they wouldnt) i think that cap space would be repurposed specifically for that. Gabby is having trouble creating his own chances and you need a big threat line for the opposition to focus on/worry about in the playoffs... not to mention a boost to the PP.
IF Richards can be had. Dallas are looking good this year and just acquired Langenbrunner. Next season perhaps, but I actually doubt they'll deal him this season if they continue how they're playing right now.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

I have to agree--with Frolov on LTIR this opens up 3 million(from the start of the season--I know it's less now)plus if the Ranger's include Rosi in any deal for Richards this alone will clear Richards contract.Everyone know's there will more piece's moved but Frolov's injury does make it easier to move salary.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
IF Richards can be had. Dallas are looking good this year and just acquired Langenbrunner. Next season perhaps, but I actually doubt they'll deal him this season if they continue how they're playing right now.
You're prob right, but im sure Sather will continue to press them on it. Especially now.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-10-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old
01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
and the slow death spiral career path continues for that once prized prospect

evgeny grachev

seems odd he isnt givin another looksee. i mean, at one time, he was a blue chip kid...

The kid is 20 years old.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Christensen - Anisimov - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Please.
Now, this would indeed be a brilliant lineup.

With the current injury situation: Why not go with 7 defensemen? Roz should be set to return, and dressing 7 Ds would be an excellent oportunity to see more of McD. Or MDZ could get a recall.

Staal and Girardi can't keep on playing 30 minutes a night on back to back games. It sure is impressive, but in the long run it could prove costly. Dressing seven defensemen would give them some relief.

Granted , going with eleven forwards would demand more toi on even play for Gaborik and Dubinsky. It might force Torts to give Prust or even Weise more toi in the PK and Zuccs on the PP (He's great to have on ice on the pp though, this cross ice pass 26 secs into the highlight vid is just the kind of play that's needed on the pp).

Well, thouse are my thoughts. I'm all for dressing an extra defenseman until either Cal og Christensen returns, even if I don't expect many of you to agree.

Last edited by SixGoalieSystem: 01-10-2011 at 09:38 AM.
SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:33 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
So true but Richards has had no contract extension talk--My gut tells me the 1 team he would wave his no trade clause for would be the Ranger's--and can't see Dallas letting him walk without getting anything in return(if they know there's no way they're going to sign him).

Dallas wants the play-off money with the ownership problems--but if they know he walking shouldn't they move him for a package that will help them out in the present and future.

Just food for thought.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote