HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What to do with Seabrook

Old
01-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
What to do with Seabrook

What will happen with Seabrook next season? He will be RFA and will get a big Raise.

Facts that he will come up with
- Olympic Gold
- 23 Points in 44 GP --> ~42 Point Season
- (and for the mention) Plays 1st PP Unit

I'm sure that we won't resign him with a CapHit under 5 million.

IMO, we have to options. Make a contract like the J"MF"J Deal with 7 years or longer or trade his Rights Exchange Players like Gleason + 1st + or Regher + 1st +

He would get 5.8+ million on the open market, why should he sign for 4.9 or less?

(he will also not make more than Keith, Keith is the highest Paid D-Men in the NHL)

If he get an offer sheet that will give us only a 1st+2nd+3rd, I wouldn't like it if we take the compensation. Proven Talent on 1st D Pairing >>> 1st Round Picks (and we won't get a Lottery pick)

Hope Bowman will work out a deal that is good for us. Sharp has to stay....

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Patriks7

Depends on how he finishes the season. I highly doubt he will get 5.8+ on the open market, unless someone really wants to overpay for him.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

He would get 5.8+ million on the open market, why should he sign for 4.9 or less?

Toews, Kane and Keith signed for less than they could have gotten on the open market.

If you want to play for a consistent contender, you can't be looking for top dollar you could get from teams who have to overpay to attract talent.

If Seabrook wants the same money he could get from Edmonton, we need to let him go to Edmonton.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
What will happen with Seabrook next season? He will be RFA and will get a big Raise.

Facts that he will come up with
- Olympic Gold
- 23 Points in 44 GP --> ~42 Point Season
- (and for the mention) Plays 1st PP Unit

I'm sure that we won't resign him with a CapHit under 5 million.

IMO, we have to options. Make a contract like the J"MF"J Deal with 7 years or longer or trade his Rights Exchange Players like Gleason + 1st + or Regher + 1st +

(he will also not make more than Keith, Keith is the highest Paid D-Men in the NHL)

If he get an offer sheet that will give us only a 1st+2nd+3rd, I wouldn't like it if we take the compensation. Proven Talent on 1st D Pairing >>> 1st Round Picks (and we won't get a Lottery pick)

Hope Bowman will work out a deal that is good for us. Sharp has to stay....
He may get 5.8 on the open market but he's a RFA so he's not on the open market.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

but he will ask for it.

And why shouldn't he? The Cap will go up, he deserves it and it will be a big Payday. And why shouldn't a team offer sheet him 6 million? What is a 1st + 2nd + 3rd if you can get proven 1st line talent? Think about Detroit....

btw. Keith hasn't signed a undervalue contract. He is the most paid D-Men in History (within 1 contract)...

I think he will want a 2-3 year Deal with ~6 million each. The Hawks should listen to offers if they believe in Leddy AND Olsen. Depends on the future plans they have.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'd give him a 7 year deal between 4.5 and 5M. If that's not enough for him, I'd trade him before he hits free agency.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
but he will ask for it.

And why shouldn't he? The Cap will go up, he deserves it and it will be a big Payday. And why shouldn't a team offer sheet him 6 million? What is a 1st + 2nd + 3rd if you can get proven 1st line talent? Think about Detroit....

btw. Keith hasn't signed a undervalue contract. He is the most paid D-Men in History (within 1 contract)...

I think he will want a 2-3 year Deal with ~6 million each. The Hawks should listen to offers if they believe in Leddy AND Olsen. Depends on the future plans they have.
Offer sheets are rare in the NHL and what would amount to a teams entire draft is a ton to give up to sign a player. Plus a $6 mil a year cap hit contract would put Seabrook as one of the 10 highest paid defensemen in the NHL. Does that sound right for a defesenman that isn't even the best defenseman on his own team?

Old
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Doughty will get more than him... some others will follow.

Just for example...

the Red Wings have a full roster, enough Prospects as of now and Seabrook wouldn't hurt them with ~6 million - if Lidstrom retires. Rafalski and Seabrook as #1 Pair doesn't sound bad

and yep, Offer Sheets a rare and haven't seen them for years. If you can handcuff your opponent, you do it like Wilson has done it with us. Others may do it again.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Doughty will get more than him... some others will follow.

Just for example...

the Red Wings have a full roster, enough Prospects as of now and Seabrook wouldn't hurt them with ~6 million - if Lidstrom retires. Rafalski and Seabrook as #1 Pair doesn't sound bad

and yep, Offer Sheets a rare and haven't seen them for years. If you can handcuff your opponent, you do it like Wilson has done it with us. Others may do it again.
I think that Wilson offer sheet had a lot to do with him being good buddies with Talon as a way to stick it to Bowman and the Hawks.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I think that Wilson offer sheet had a lot to do with him being good buddies with Talon as a way to stick it to Bowman and the Hawks.
I think people seriously overreach with all of the possible motivations for that offer sheet. Maybe Wilson just saw what he believed to be a great way to improve his team? Is that really all that hard to believe?

Anyways, Seabrook should get a raise of about $1m for about 4-5 yerars. His play this season is really lowering his contract value. Not just with us, but on the market as well.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

don't care why, but it happend.

and think about it this way...

Seabrook for Gleason and their 1st

Keith - Gleason
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Leddy + #6

with Seabrook #6 will have a max Cap Hit of ~1 million
with Gleason #6 could have a max Cap Hit of ~3 million + a 1st

think about a D with Keith, Gleason, Campbell, Hjammer, Leddy and lets say Hamrlik or Hannan. Doesn't sound that much worse than Seabrook and Hendry...

I think in the End he will get the same contract like JJ, but will earn a little more money. This is what I hope. But we'll see.

Old
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Give him an Ice Cream Sandwich.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Black81hawks

Quote:
Doesn't Campbell get paid a couple more million than Keith?

Black81hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black81hawks View Post
He means total of contract because of the length of Keith's contract.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black81hawks View Post
Cap hit yes, this year in actual money, no.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Sarava

Quote:
but he will ask for it.

I think the Hawks shoudl explore if he would bite on say a 5 year - $25 million contract. Maybe he will or maybe he won't.

I don't like the prospects of not having Seabs on the team, because we don't really have a replacement for what he brings to our defense, either in the NHL or in the minors.

You almost wish the Hawks had one more year to play with this thing. That would hopefully get Leddy and maybe even Olsen good and ready to replace the loss to our defense. Of course, the Hawks could do a one year thing, be in arbitration or a one year deal, but then you lose Seabrook for nothing if he does then leave.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think the Hawks shoudl explore if he would bite on say a 5 year - $25 million contract. Maybe he will or maybe he won't.

I don't like the prospects of not having Seabs on the team, because we don't really have a replacement for what he brings to our defense, either in the NHL or in the minors.

You almost wish the Hawks had one more year to play with this thing. That would hopefully get Leddy and maybe even Olsen good and ready to replace the loss to our defense. Of course, the Hawks could do a one year thing, be in arbitration or a one year deal, but then you lose Seabrook for nothing if he does then leave.
I'm thinking that for this year's draft we should try to get bigger, grittier, more physical defensemen and centers.

Our best prospects in those positions all seem a little small to me. Good size on the wings though.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm thinking that for this year's draft we should try to get bigger, grittier, more physical defensemen and centers.

Our best prospects in those positions all seem a little small to me. Good size on the wings though.
Olsen and Seabrook play a similar game. Other than him, Johns is the only one in the pipeline with NHL potential who projects to a shutdown role.

Also, Kevin Hayes has been centering J. Hayes and Kreider all year at BC. At the very least he can carve out a niche as a gritty third liner. I've got higher hopes for him though.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

But having Hjammer (3.5), Keith (5.54), Campbell (7.142) and Seabrook (~5.0) longterm with ~21.1 as Top 4 is a bit high. We need some room in the Top 4 for Leddy (maybe even Olsen) too.

In a trade, we could get a good to great return

This isn't an easy decision.

Old
01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

If it came down to Sharp or Seabrook, I'm voting Sharp.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
What to do with Seabrook?

Sign him to an extension

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

I think the hawks have the ability to keep both with the cap going to $62.4m, but a lot depends on the new CBA outlook when the time comes

But if I had to chose, sign Seabrook. As others have mentioned, the hawks don't have anyone close to him in prospect pool (Olsen's best-case i'm not sure is a even as good as Seabs is now.) Sharp is awesome, but the hawks do already have three stars locked up for the top six, and many promising forward prospects with top six potential. I'm sure the hawks can find a good top six forward FA at the $4m range if they have to, but I really doubt the hawks can find a top pair guy to play with Keith for that money.

Plus. It's almost always better to sign the RFA vs the UFA. You get a more bang for the buck, that's a fact. The only way the hawks don't keep Seabrook is if they believe his perceived value around the league is much greater than his actual value. I don't believe that is the case. They will sign Seabrook and see how it unfolds the following year with Sharp.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
I'm sure the hawks can find a good top six forward FA at the $4m range if they have to, but I really doubt the hawks can find a top pair guy to play with Keith for that money.
They've already got one, his name is Brian Campbell.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
We need to keep everyone and as soon as the cap becomes unmanagable, we trade Hjalmarsson, Campbell or waive Campbell.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We need to keep everyone and as soon as the cap becomes unmanagable, we trade Hjalmarsson, Campbell or waive Campbell.
No one will take Hammer's contract and though his contract may be 2 million too high Campbell is as important, if not a bit more important, as Seabrook.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote