HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post #42: Matt Walker activated (January 13, 2011)

Old
01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Post #42: Matt Walker activated (January 13, 2011)

I understand most hate the trade that brought him here and the contract he has. I am just wondering - is there any chance he can step into our top 6 and improve this team? I am completely ignorant when it comes to Matt Walker. Thanks.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-13-2011 at 06:03 PM.
phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I understand most hate the trade that brought him here and the contract he has. I am just wondering - is there any chance he can step into our top 6 and improve this team? I am completely ignorant when it comes to Matt Walker. Thanks.
Even a pretty kind look at Matt Walker's game puts him at a as a bottom pairing guy. When this team is healthy, it is hard to put him above OD.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:05 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He is more physical than O'D, but that's it. sucks everywhere else. Maybe he can replace O'D after this season, but hopefully not

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
jb**

he is a better dman than bartulis. however he hasnt played all year and now is not the time to get him up to speed. Better off for now letting bartulis play and get into the flow. when healthy he is #7. If they dont have any big moves planned for the deadline then he will stay, if not i expect him to get waived and come back next year to fight for a job on the bottom pairing

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
if not i expect him to get waived and come back next year to fight for a job on the bottom pairing
This is what I am hoping. Seeing as he has already missed half a season and will miss more, he won't be NHL-ready and likely will need more time in the AHL to get up to speed (as much as Walker can get up to speed) then is allowed for a conditioning stint. So I am hoping he gets waived and sent to the AHL, and then come next season he can fight for a spot (maybe take over as the 6th dman if O'Donnell retires). If he gets claimed, not big loss. If not, it is still a fair bit off the cap and could open up more possibilities at the trade deadline.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

I can't say I'm too familiar with Walker's play, but people seem to forget that Walker was part of the same dreadful defense Meszaros was in Tampa. Tampa fans did not have kind words about either Meszaros or Walker, and now Meszaros is highly appreciated here in Philly. I'm not about to write the guy off after a couple unspectacular preseason games, I'm sure he could come in and play at Bartulis's level or better.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Walker was hated in Chicago too

Old
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Fair enough, but its not like Bartulis is a phenom out there. If we had the cap space I'd give Walker a chance.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
mirimon

What little I've seen of Walker previously, I don't think he's a terrible defenseman. As long as he's played as, and plays as, a 6-7 defender he's decent. Not worth that contract, but still an NHL player. I kind of hope for the same scenario that NWO is depicting.

He's nowhere near as solid defensively as O'Donnell is though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
HoverCarle*

He is like Gauthier

Old
01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Fair enough, but its not like Bartulis is a phenom out there. If we had the cap space I'd give Walker a chance.
Bartulis is essentially a rookie. He's played 64 NHL games. I actually think he could develop into a solid NHL D if they'd get him the reps out there. His ceiling is probably a no. 4 at best, but cheap bottom pairing guys are nothing to scoff at.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
phillyfanatic

Thanks all. I was surprised at the negative reaction towards Meszaros as I was very familliar with his game in Ottawa and he was excellent. When he moved on to Tampa, I do not follow that team closely but I was sure Meszaros would be good in Philly. That got me thinking about Walker as I, like everyone have all but written him off as garbage. So I was just curious if anyone has good information on him and if he has the potential to surprise us all and be a valuable addition to the already stacked d-unit.

Also, If we were to make one of the trades people are suggesting involving Carle - that trade is only doable if Walker-O'donnell were a solid d-unit.

Again, I have no opinion on Walker at this point. Just curious if he can provide benefit to the team. At this point since he hasn't played, it is like we have made a trade to bolster the d and I am curious if the new player improves the team. We shall see.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Walker was horrendous in every aspect except the random big hits in Tampa. Walker wasnt looked upon as a top defender in Tampa like Meszaros was, but still looked terrible. Im not holding my breath for him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bartulis is essentially a rookie. He's played 64 NHL games. I actually think he could develop into a solid NHL D if they'd get him the reps out there. His ceiling is probably a no. 4 at best, but cheap bottom pairing guys are nothing to scoff at.
Great point. I am of the opinion that we are slowly killing Bartulis at the present time. A young guy like him is getting zero benefit sitting in the pressbox every night. If you want to see if he can play he needs to get plenty of ice time and in a couple of years we will see if he is good or not. Sadly, since Philly is likely to keep him as a #7 or #8, he might be best off developing in another city. Young players only get better with experience. If Bartulis were in Florida, I think within a year or two he would morph into a nice #4.

In Philly, I think we need a veteran guy making Bartulis money to fill in as a #7. Not a young kid who is not going to help playing once every 10 games. It is not good for the Flyers and not good for Bartulis. Either play him and live with the growing pains or move him IMO.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Walker was horrendous in every aspect except the random big hits in Tampa. Walker wasnt looked upon as a top defender in Tampa like Meszaros was, but still looked terrible. Im not holding my breath for him.
I don't think anyone has much expectation. This thread is more "can he surprise". I have no clue, I am not expecting anything however.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Thanks all. I was surprised at the negative reaction towards Meszaros as I was very familliar with his game in Ottawa and he was excellent. When he moved on to Tampa, I do not follow that team closely but I was sure Meszaros would be good in Philly. That got me thinking about Walker as I, like everyone have all but written him off as garbage. So I was just curious if anyone has good information on him and if he has the potential to surprise us all and be a valuable addition to the already stacked d-unit.

Also, If we were to make one of the trades people are suggesting involving Carle - that trade is only doable if Walker-O'donnell were a solid d-unit.

Again, I have no opinion on Walker at this point. Just curious if he can provide benefit to the team. At this point since he hasn't played, it is like we have made a trade to bolster the d and I am curious if the new player improves the team. We shall see.
That's a stretch. He was excellent his rookie year, and then OK the next two (part of the reason they were willing to part with him on top of the cap issue). After that he was decidedly mediocre-to-bad in TB.

Quote:
Great point. I am of the opinion that we are slowly killing Bartulis at the present time. A young guy like him is getting zero benefit sitting in the pressbox every night. If you want to see if he can play he needs to get plenty of ice time and in a couple of years we will see if he is good or not. Sadly, since Philly is likely to keep him as a #7 or #8, he might be best off developing in another city. Young players only get better with experience. If Bartulis were in Florida, I think within a year or two he would morph into a nice #4.

In Philly, I think we need a veteran guy making Bartulis money to fill in as a #7. Not a young kid who is not going to help playing once every 10 games. It is not good for the Flyers and not good for Bartulis. Either play him and live with the growing pains or move him IMO.
Holmgren *ed Bartulis over this year.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
No doubt, Bartulis is a solid, smart player. At this stage in his development, he gets pushed around though. If theres injuries on D during the playoffs, we might prefer someone with more than 64 NHL games. Not saying Walker is that guy, but his size and grit could be advantageous to us at that point. I'd like to see him get a shot, if not just to see what hes capable of in a Flyers uni.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
jb**

I think bart can grow into a very solid bottom pairing guy who wont break the bank $ wise. Donít see him as anything more than that, which is fine with me.Yes they should have let him start the year as the #6 then address that spot if he faltered.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
This is the unfortunate effect of attempting to ice a competitive team every year. Some players whose play is not yet at the expected level get left in the dust. To think Patrick Sharp could be on this team right now...

Old
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
This is the unfortunate effect of attempting to ice a competitive team every year. Some players whose play is not yet at the expected level get left in the dust. To think Patrick Sharp could be on this team right now...
...no he couldn't, he asked to leave and they acquiesced. Not really the same thing as what is going on with Bartulis. They easily could have gone into the year with Bartulis as the #6 and had the cap flexibility to go and get a veteran to push Bartulis to the #7 spot at the deadline if they felt he wasn't progressing and hacking it.

Sharp was taking a regular shift as a role player before he left.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
...no he couldn't, he asked to leave and they acquiesced. Not really the same thing as what is going on with Bartulis. They easily could have gone into the year with Bartulis as the #6 and had the cap flexibility to go and get a veteran to push Bartulis to the #7 spot at the deadline if they felt he wasn't progressing and hacking it.

Sharp was taking a regular shift as a role player before he left.
I don't know it seems a pretty similar situation to me. I don't remember the 03/04 era Flyers situation to a T but I think Sharp could've gotten a look a over bringing in over-the-hill guys like Tony Amonte. Just as Bartulis' spot was filled by signing O'donnell. When there's a lot of depth, theres more than likely going to be someone left in the dust.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Mezaros had lots of hits and blocks in Tampa, just struggled to get points

Quote:
I don't know it seems a pretty similar situation to me. I don't remember the 03/04 era Flyers situation to a T but I think Sharp could've gotten a look a over bringing in over-the-hill guys like Tony Amonte. Just as Bartulis' spot was filled by signing O'donnell. When there's a lot of depth, theres more than likely going to be someone left in the dust.
Sharp was on the team in 05-06. He got ousted by Carter and Richards, and then Umberger

Old
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Sharp was on the team in 05-06. He got ousted by Carter and Richards, and then Umberger
Right- OK, makes sense, I was thinking he got moved in 04.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Right- OK, makes sense, I was thinking he got moved in 04.
The mistake we made with Sharp was not giving him a good chance on wing over Savage, Radio, Sim etc.

Chicago put him on wing and BOOM

Old
01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The mistake we made with Sharp was not giving him a good chance on wing over Savage, Radio, Sim etc.

Chicago put him on wing and BOOM
Not sure that's a fair narrative... he didn't really blow up until two seasons later, and that's with him immediately more than doubling his minutes when he got to Chicago.