HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

05-06 Preds contracts

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
05-06 Preds contracts

Very interesting:

Quote:
Nashville Predators
Player 2005-2006 salary (US) 2005-2006 salary with 24% rollback (US)
Kimmo Timonen $3.3 million $2.5 million
Tomas Vokoun $3 million $2.3 million
Scott Walker $2 million $1.5 million
Marek Zidlicky $1.5 million $1.1 million
Denis Arkhipov $1.4 million $1.1 million
Ryan Suter $1.2 million $912,000
Jordin Tootoo $850,000 $646,000
Shane Hnidy $800,000 $608,000
Shea Weber $725,000 $551,000
Scottie Upshall $593,000 $451,000
Andrew Hutchinson $400,000 $304,000
Chris Mason $400,000 $304,000
12 Players $12,276,000
source: TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9997

Old
06-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

16,168,000 without the rollback in case anyone was wondering

Old
06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
handtrick

How do Suter's, Hutch's, Weber's, Upshall's [and for that matter, any other 2 way contract] relate to the cap......fully counted...partially counted.....yet to be determined....

Old
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
How do Suter's, Hutch's, Weber's, Upshall's [and for that matter, any other 2 way contract] relate to the cap......fully counted...partially counted.....yet to be determined....
Well, we don't really have anything beyond speculation in regard to the cap...so your guess is as good as mine, really. I'd assume it would count against the cap...as would all non-minor league salaries.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:54 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Very interesting:
Nashville Predators
Player 2005-2006 salary (US) 2005-2006 salary with 24% rollback (US)
Kimmo Timonen $3.3 million $2.5 million
Tomas Vokoun $3 million $2.3 million
Scott Walker $2 million $1.5 million
Marek Zidlicky $1.5 million $1.1 million
Denis Arkhipov $1.4 million $1.1 million
Ryan Suter $1.2 million $912,000
Jordin Tootoo $850,000 $646,000
Shane Hnidy $800,000 $608,000
Shea Weber $725,000 $551,000
Scottie Upshall $593,000 $451,000
Andrew Hutchinson $400,000 $304,000
Chris Mason $400,000 $304,000
12 Players $12,276,000

source: TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9997
Just playing with some numbers:

The above 12 players @ $12,276,000 plus:

Definite Resigns
1] Martin Erat..............$750k - $900k
2] Adam Hall...............$650k - $800k
3] Scott Hartnell.........$900k - $1.1mill
4] David Legwand.......$1.1 mill - $1.35 mill
5] Dan Hamhuis..........$800k - $1.0 mill

Running Total........$16,476,000 to $17,426,000

Probable Resigns
6] Mark Eaton...........$750k - $850k....for his bonehead Grand Rapids stent
7] Steve Sullivan.......$2.3 mil - $2.7 mill...a glut of UFA, he needs to be reasonable
8] Greg Johnson........$750k - $900k...he knows he has to take a paycut to stay

Running Total.......$20,276,000 to $21,876,000

Possible Resigns
9] Jim McKenzie..........$400k - $450k....I would prefer we let him go and hire another goon
10] Vladamir Orzagh....$650 - $700k....he loses leverage coming off the knee injury
11] Jeremy Stevenson..$250k - $300k...or league minimum....a dime a dozen
12] Jamie Allison.........$250k - $300k...or league minmum...a dime a dozen
13] Andreas Lilja.........$400 - $500k...loses leverage coming off his indiscretions

Running Total......$22,226,000 to $24,126,000

Those numbers may be a little generous, but as we see, we are near any league floor if most of these guys are signed at the ranges noted.

Position Depth with above signings:

Goalies....Vokoun/ Mase.....covered

D-Men....Kimmo/Eaton[?], Hamhuis/Suter, Zids/Hnidy or Lilja[?] .....Allison[?doubt he is signed], Hutch in Milwaukee

Center.....Legwand, Johnson, Arkhipuff......[?]Hall, [?]Smitson

LW.....Erat, Hartnell, [?]Gamache, [?]Upshall, McKenzie[? or enforcer of choice]

RW...Walker, Sullivan[?], Orzagh[?], [?]Hall, Tootoo......Stevenson[?]

How real a player will Craig and Poile be in the UFA market?
I can't see us going much over $27 mill.

I think our only major plays are:

1] a 1/2 center.....[Jason Allison comes to mind....low risk / high reward]

2] don't sign Eaton and get a veteran, end of career, mentor type 1/2 dman on the cheap [Teppo Numminen, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios all come to mind] for one/two years until Weber is ready

3] don't sign McKenzie, get a UFA enforcer on the cheap that can actually fight[Wade Brookbank comes to mind] as an insurance policy for Jeremy Yablonski [who between his shoulder and a concussion last year is anything but reliable to step into that job, and he is yet to be resigned as well]

What would you do if you were Poile?
Where do you predict our 2005/6 salary will finally come in?

Old
06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
How real a player will Craig and Poile be in the UFA market?
I can't see us going much over $27 mill.

I think our only major plays are:

1] a 1/2 center.....[Jason Allison comes to mind....low risk / high reward]

2] don't sign Eaton and get a veteran, end of career, mentor type 1/2 dman on the cheap [Teppo Numminen, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios all come to mind] for one/two years until Weber is ready

3] don't sign McKenzie, get a UFA enforcer on the cheap that can actually fight[Wade Brookbank comes to mind] as an insurance policy for Jeremy Yablonski [who between his shoulder and a concussion last year is anything but reliable to step into that job, and he is yet to be resigned as well]

What would you do if you were Poile?
Where do you predict our 2005/6 salary will finally come in?
While I would not mind seeing Al MacInnis in a Preds sweater, I think he was done before the lockout... does anyone know what he's been doing since getting his eye fixed? He missed most of the last season played and then the lockout.

Old
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM
PredFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
While I would not mind seeing Al MacInnis in a Preds sweater, I think he was done before the lockout... does anyone know what he's been doing since getting his eye fixed? He missed most of the last season played and then the lockout.
Agreed. I think MacInnis with the Preds would be a total bust. I think MacInnis' shot has gone wherever McKenzie's fight went. Sad to say...I always liked Al, too bad he wore the wrong blue.

Old
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29

Apparently MacInnis has been cleared to play when the NHL resumes...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...5&page=2&pp=15

Old
06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Apparently MacInnis has been cleared to play when the NHL resumes...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...5&page=2&pp=15

if he played, it would likely be for the blues.

besides, he's what, 200?

Old
06-27-2005, 08:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
if he played, it would likely be for the blues.

besides, he's what, 200?
Yeah, I can't see him playing for another team unless he's just in it for the Money or Cup and he has some of both. He's missed a full two years and will be 42 in two weeks. He'll almost be 43 if his team makes it deep in the playoffs. Although I will say this. He led the team in ice time per game (26+ minutes per game) at the age of 39. I wouldn't be suprised to see him play 60 games next year at around 20 minutes per. His even strength minutes will be down as will his SH minutes, but his PP minutes should stay the same.

I could see him being similar to Chelios (who'll turn 44 in the middle of next season) in that he can hold a regular spot in the lineup most nights, but would be nothing like his former self and certainly wouldn't be relied upon for great minutes.

Old
06-27-2005, 09:13 PM
SmokeyClause

There is apparently still some debate over whether the 2004-2005 contract year will be honored though I think the general belief is that they won't be honored. How will this affect the Preds. I know we had Sullivan under contract for 3.6 mil during 2004/2005. Eaton would have been under contract for 1 mil during 2004/2005. Allison, Hartnell, Hnidy, Johnson, Legwand, Lilja, McKenzie, Orszagh, Severson, Stevenson, and McKenzie as well. This would add around 14-15 million onto our payroll (not including rollback) if this happened. Is it worth it to keep Sullivan and Johnson from being UFA's? Or does the chance to resign all these guys under new-CBA contracts and the chance to shed fat outweigh the gain of Sully and Johnson.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 06-27-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
There is apparently still some debate over whether the 2004-2005 contract year will be honored though I think the general belief is that they won't be honored. How will this affect the Preds. I know we had Sullivan under contract for 3.6 mil during 2004/2005. Eaton would have been under contract for 1 mil during 2004/2005. Allison, Hartnell, Hnidy, Johnson, Legwand, Lilja, McKenzie, Orszagh, Severson, Stevenson, and McKenzie. This would add around 9-10 million onto our payroll (not including rollback) if this happened. Is it worth it to keep Sullivan and Johnson from being UFA's? Or does the chance to resign all these guys under new-CBA contracts and the chance to shed fat outweigh the gain of Sully and Johnson.
I believe Johnson would happily sign with the Preds for a reduced salary and I think his value on the open UFA market is quite limited.

I think Sully's services would command more interest than Johnny on the UFA market, but if so [2004/5 contracts not honored and UFA dropped to 30] there will be a glut of UFA and cap casualties. Sully is a RFA if the UFA age stays at 31.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...506270381/1028.

I also think Sully will value where we as an organization are headed in the new post CBA landscape, and like his role in that.

I think both will be Preds next year under either scenario.

Last edited by handtrick: 06-27-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old
06-27-2005, 10:52 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
I think Stevenson is already signed for next year. I'm pretty sure his was a two year deal.

Old
06-28-2005, 01:15 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I believe Johnson would happily sign with the Preds for a reduced salary and I think his value on the open UFA market is quite limited.

I think Sully's services would command more interest than Johnny on the UFA market, but if so [2004/5 contracts not honored and UFA dropped to 30] there will be a glut of UFA and cap casualties. Sully is a RFA if the UFA age stays at 31.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...506270381/1028.

I also think Sully will value where we as an organization are headed in the new post CBA landscape, and like his role in that.

I think both will be Preds next year under either scenario.

I'm not so confident we will keep both in the new CBA environment. Maybe if I had a better feel of the other forwards available, but teams are going to be hard pressed to find a better 31 year old forward than Sullivan. There will be several out there and certainly more than usual, but I think people don't understand the other side of the story. NMK and I and several other Preds fans argued the worth of Zidlicky. An opposing viewpoint came from one poster in particular who argued that because of the new environment, there would be tons of players like Zids out there, thus decreasing his value.

But I could easily argue the other way. That influx of talent onto the free agent market is offset by the fact that there are more willing buyers than at any other time in NHL history. The Nashville Predators are legitimate contenders for most any player on the market. There are many teams out there like us who have never been able to compete in the previous free agency periods. We always had to settle for the scraps. Now it isn't unrealistic for the Flames, Coyotes, Blackhawks, Predators, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, etc. to be able to land the cream of the crop. While most of these teams have had their free agency moments in the past, when have all been viable contenders for top notch talent at the same time? Is there a team out there not in the market for top notch players? In the past, there may have been 10 teams in the market for the best players. That number was usually as low as 2-5. Now, it's not a stretch to say that 15-20 and possibly more are in the hunt. We wouldn't just be fighting the big teams to keep Sullivan, as in the past. We'd be fighting every team in hockey that needed a really good winger. And that's just about every team in hockey.

Old
06-28-2005, 07:05 AM
handtrick

very interesting point Smokey....makes sense.

The main difference from before will be the monetary difference in offers will be potentially narrower with the cap and uncertain revenue streams, that these teams that you mention[mostly small market] will be in post CBA enviroment. I can't picture any one of the ones you mention going hog wild with the open checkbook. On the other hand, I can see their repective fans clamoring, and even expecting, the signing of a bonafide star because they have been shut out of that market for so long.

Boy, this is going to get exciting....

Old
06-28-2005, 02:51 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I can't picture any one of the ones you mention going hog wild with the open checkbook.
Well, going hog wild might be pushing it. While every team might be a major player for anybody in the market, I doubt you'll see any team land several stars. But all it takes is for a team like Phoenix or Columbus to fall in love with a player to make his value skyrocket. Sullivan provides some skills that may become even more valuable in the upcoming NHL. If true obstruction crackdown occurs, Sullivan has an opportunity to shine. Teams know this and are going to be lining up for a chance to get him. When you add in the fact that he can play all 3 forward positions, his value grows even more. One of the major things the NFL has taught us is that in a limited funds situation, multi-talented players value is immense. Everyone is looking for that DB/KR/PR or that WR/KR/PR or the DE that can lineup in a 3-point stance or a 2-point stance or the LB that can become a down lineman in pass rushing situations, etc. The best example of versatility in action is the Patriots. They have WRs who return kicks and play defense. Defensive players that playoff offensively. You name it; they have it.

Sullivan provides similar versatility. If your top line center goes down and you have no one to replace him, Sullivan can. If your top line winger goes down and you have no one to replace him, Sullivane can switch over. He's good for close to 14 minutes of ES time, 2 and a half minutes of PK time, and 5+ minutes of PP time. And he's effective in all 3 spots (he scored 13 SH goals in less than 5 seasons with CHI).

If he hits the open market, I'll be scared to death. I think he and the Preds have built up a decent amount of goodwill. He seems like the kind of person/player to value that.

Old
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
PredFred

Sullivan had been a virtual unseen until he stepped into a playoff race with a hat trick in his first game. All of a sudden he's become the hot name around town. That's gotta have some effect on his willingness to stay as well, no matter how humble a guy. He's sitting somewhere now where he could thrive and become the face of the franchise. How many other places is that possible? It's gotta help, but that's just my opinion.

Old
06-29-2005, 12:28 AM
PredFred

Anybody have a clue how Arkhipov did this year with Ak-Bars Kazan? Just wondering if he struggled as much over there this year as he has the past 2 years. I just saw a thread about players with negative trade value and it got me to wondering about ole Denis.

Old
06-29-2005, 12:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredFred
Anybody have a clue how Arkhipov did this year with Ak-Bars Kazan? Just wondering if he struggled as much over there this year as he has the past 2 years. I just saw a thread about players with negative trade value and it got me to wondering about ole Denis.
started strong, nosedived about a month and a half in. i actually started a thread a long time ago asking whatever russian posters how he did, and most said 'average.'

Old
06-29-2005, 01:35 AM
PredFred

in other words...same old Arkhipov

Old
06-29-2005, 01:40 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredFred
in other words...same old Arkhipov
it would certainly seem so.

Old
06-29-2005, 03:02 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Sullivan provides similar versatility. If your top line center goes down and you have no one to replace him, Sullivan can. If your top line winger goes down and you have no one to replace him, Sullivane can switch over. He's good for close to 14 minutes of ES time, 2 and a half minutes of PK time, and 5+ minutes of PP time. And he's effective in all 3 spots (he scored 13 SH goals in less than 5 seasons with CHI).

If he hits the open market, I'll be scared to death. I think he and the Preds have built up a decent amount of goodwill. He seems like the kind of person/player to value that.
I agree. Sully really shined for the short time he was with the Preds, and a crackdown on obstruction would really open up his game. He's the first bona fide goal scoring talent the Preds have had in their lineup and it would be a damn shame to let him walk.

Closed Thread