HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From Road Worriers to Road Warriors

Old
01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
From Road Worriers to Road Warriors

An article from Gord McIntyre of the Vancouver Province on the abrupt turn around in the Canucks road record from the first few road games of the season. The Canucks simply decided that there was no point to playing road games and home games differently - just play their game.

Daniel Sedin:
“I think we finally realized [what was wrong],” Daniel Sedin said on Sunday as players arrived at the airport to fly to Long Island, N.Y. “For a lot of years it seemed we were playing, as a team, a lot different on the road than at home.

“But it's the same game on the ice and I think we realized after those first four games, why change?

“We should play the same way on the road as we do at home and it's been successful.”
Ryan Kesler:
“Really, we've just got to play like it's a home game,” said Ryan Kesler, who had a goal and six assists in the Canucks' first 14 road games last season – a 0.5 points-per-game pace – and 26 points (10 goals, 16 assists) over the club's final 27 road games of 2009-10.

“I don't even remember what my turn-around was,” Kesler said. “I know the coach brought it to my attention.

“I don't know why I wasn't scoring or doing well on the road. As a team we weren't doing well.”
Alain Vigneault:
“I know at one point there, there was some confusion in our play,” Alain Vigneault said. “Some guys were saying we were sitting back.

“But there never should have been any confusion. In my mind, and I know our guys believe it too now, there's only one way to play, and that's the right way.”
“If the other team's got the gap on you, you've got to chip it behind them, if you've got room you've got to use that space,” the coach said. “Whether that's at home or on the road, the ice is still 200 by 85.

“I think our guys understand that real well, that there's a right way to play, and that's what they're trying to do every night.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1AfbFOmyd

Sounds like the players and coaching staff are all singing from the same hymn book now. And it is working.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
petrishriekandgo

Amen...

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Amen...
Bless you, my son.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
VanEric

Daniel Sedin has actually been significantly more productive on the road this season. 23 points in 21 home games compared to 31 points in 20 road games. Henrik's production is almost evenly split so his game doesn't change much at all.

Kesler's production on the road is decent but he still does most of his damage at home. 16 goals in 21 home games compared to 7 in 20 road games.

Most of our defensemen have a pretty even split in terms of home and road.

The one guy who is most notably struggling on the road is Manny Malhotra. 13 points and a +6 in 21 home games but only 4 points and a -5 in 20 road games. His faceoff % is still great on the road, though. This has been a trend throughout his career where he's struggled offensively on the road.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote