HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Older model skates vs. Newer model skates

Old
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
luciousharris

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Older model skates vs. Newer model skates

I was hoping maybe some of the old timers could help me out. I am trying to compare older model skates(Bauer 2000,CCM 251 tacks,Ridell ect.) to the newer models(Bauer Vapor Skates and ect).
What I am trying to compare is the stifness. The reason being is that I do not like skates that are to stiff. Back in the days I used to where Bauer 2000's. They were perfect they werent too stiff. They were just right. Then I switched to Graf's(705). They were great. Then I recently bought a new pair of Graf's and I noticed they changed them. For starters they were not made out of REAL leather and they were TOO STIFF.
So now I am trying to find a pair of "modern" pair of skates that would be comprable, in terms of stiffnes to the older model skates. For instance would a vapor XXII be the same stiffness as a Bauer 2000?
Thanks for any help.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
rye&ginger

Doubt it, the vapor line seems to be all quite stiff with its woven boot. Probably best to go to a pro shop and talk to them about your options, and try them on.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Your best bet would probalby be lower end skates- pretty much everything upper end is pretty stiff, it gives better energy return and higher level players like them really stiff.

Grafs are probalby your best option though. Did you buy the same model (705) or did you get a lower end skate? If you got a different, lower end skate, that's your answer right there. Cheaper skates use cheaper materials. It may also be that you haven't broken in yet, and the material will break down and become less stiff as you use them.

But Grafs are the only brand that still makes skates out of leather, at least as a main material.

The other thing is, you could just try a stiffer boot. You're used to a less stiff skate, but that doesn't mean a stiff boot is bad at all.

But Vapors are Stiff, Supreme line is Stiff.... You wouldn't fit a vapor anyway. They're a lot narrower then the skates you've had.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Stefan It Up

The Bauer 2000s were a low-end skate made during a time when skates weren't capable of being that stiff .

Try the Bauer Supreme line's low-mid range skates.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Your best bet would probalby be lower end skates- pretty much everything upper end is pretty stiff, it gives better energy return and higher level players like them really stiff.

Grafs are probalby your best option though. Did you buy the same model (705) or did you get a lower end skate? If you got a different, lower end skate, that's your answer right there. Cheaper skates use cheaper materials. It may also be that you haven't broken in yet, and the material will break down and become less stiff as you use them.

But Grafs are the only brand that still makes skates out of leather, at least as a main material.

The other thing is, you could just try a stiffer boot. You're used to a less stiff skate, but that doesn't mean a stiff boot is bad at all.

But Vapors are Stiff, Supreme line is Stiff.... You wouldn't fit a vapor anyway. They're a lot narrower then the skates you've had.
Yes, I bought the 705's again. After I bought the Graf's I went to the Graf website and it said that they made the 705 out of a new material. Maybe some of it might be leather but not as much as the original.

Old
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
The Bauer 2000s were a low-end skate made during a time when skates weren't capable of being that stiff .

I understand about what you are saying about the Bauer 2000's but I was mainly using them as a reference point. They were on of the pair of skatesI used to use. Here is a list that I made up of old skates and beside I put the modern skate that I think is the equivalent as far as stifness. Is this acurate.

Old Skates - Modern Skates

CCM 251 Tacks = Vapor XVI
Bauer 2000 = Vapor XXII
Daust 501 = Vapor XXVI
Ridell = Vapor XXXX

Old
02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I understand about what you are saying about the Bauer 2000's but I was mainly using them as a reference point. They were on of the pair of skatesI used to use. Here is a list that I made up of old skates and beside I put the modern skate that I think is the equivalent as far as stifness. Is this acurate.

Bauer 2000 = Vapor XXII
Daust 501 = Vapor XXVI
Ridell = Vapor XXXX
Well each of the "old" skates you mentioned are cut differently and may give drastically different fits. The Vapors will generally have a consistent feel, with weight decreasing and stiffness increasing as you go up the line.

This is all opinion now, but the most flexible current skate that I would play hockey in is the CCM Vector 03.

CaptBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
greyraven8

You might be better off getting a pair of old stock skates or gently used older skates somewhere. Can get a pair of new or near new skates that you know will fit you (if you have an old pair you like but are worn out).

Perani's (www.hockeyworld.com) has some higher end CCM Tacks and other old stocks skates for clearance prices in certain sizes (unfortunately not mine - 9.5E). Could also check other sites, along with ebay, kijiji, etc.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post

The comment about the Bauer 2000's is wrong. Skates could be made stiff back in the day as well, but the conventional wisdom was that the ski-boot thing isn't good for skating. Then skate companies started marketing composite material so that they could sell you new skates every year.

The improved energy transfer of composite skates is true, but that doesn't mean it is good to have ridiculous stiffness at the high ankle area. The other good thing about composite skates is the weight. These are the reasons composite was introduced into the hockey market. But at this point in time, I don't believe the composite skates are better than the well-constructed leather skates of the late 90's.

Last edited by HockeyGuy1975: 01-10-2011 at 04:14 PM.
HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post

Bauer 2000 = Vapor XXII
Daust 501 = Vapor XXVI
Ridell = Vapor XXXX
What size skate do you wear? I spent the last 3 years trying and buying different skates because I had so much difficulty skating with the modern skates. I have a few pairs of older skates for sale. I'll sell a pair at cost.

As an example, I paid $600 for a modern skate and gave up on them after 6 months. I stumbled upon a pair of older Bauer skates, in mint condition, on eBay and I have been skating on them ever since. My stride and balace are back. Maybe the young kids can skate on the modern skates since those are the skates they learned to skate on, but some of us old-timers still prefer the nice leather wrap around the ankle and softer, but supportive, shell.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
RobertKron

Some of it is also the cut of the skate. I could never get used to Vapors, and always swore up and down about how I'd kill for some old Mega Air 90s or old Bauer Supremes. I then got a set of Supreme one55s, which have a cut that is more similar to that of the older Supremes, rather that the more aggressive stance of the Vapors, and I feel that these are, by far, the best skates I've ever owned.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Some of it is also the cut of the skate. I could never get used to Vapors, and always swore up and down about how I'd kill for some old Mega Air 90s or old Bauer Supremes. I then got a set of Supreme one55s, which have a cut that is more similar to that of the older Supremes, rather that the more aggressive stance of the Vapors, and I feel that these are, by far, the best skates I've ever owned.
That was part of my problem. I actually have a pair of Mega's and currently skates in a pair of old Supremes (which I plan on using forever )

I tried the one55's as well, and they are close to the older Supreme's, but they gave me lace bite in the shop. The cut is still a bit different than the older skates. But they definitely skate more like the older skates.