HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
BlackStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Andrei is still driving the net even if he's struggling now. Andrei has never been a perimeter player. So I don't know why you pointed that out.
Seriously? I really like Andrei but come on. He does not drive to the net anywhere near as often as he should. It's pretty obvious he isn't playing the same way he did earlier in the season.

Old
01-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Seriously? I really like Andrei but come on. He does not drive to the net anywhere near as often as he should. It's pretty obvious he isn't playing the same way he did earlier in the season.
Does Gomez drive to the net?...Does Plekanec?..Does Cammy?..Does Pouliot??..
Didn't we hear the same thing about Latendresse??..
Just because he's got a bigger body does not mean he has to throw his weight around or crash the net. People need to stop making that direct connection and have to let the players play their natural style.
Sure, you can teach them a few things like become a better two way player, which AK has become. But you can't take a playmaker and make him become a sniper. You can't take a sniper and make him a PF.
AK is a sniper with good stickhandling and playmaking abilities. Don't expect him to crash the net more, it's simply not his game. Do you expect Gomez to score 20G???...Of course you don't. So you shouldn't wait for AK to suddenly become a PF, it won't happen.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Does Gomez drive to the net?...Does Plekanec?..Does Cammy?..Does Pouliot??..
Didn't we hear the same thing about Latendresse??..
Just because he's got a bigger body does not mean he has to throw his weight around or crash the net. People need to stop making that direct connection and have to let the players play their natural style.
Sure, you can teach them a few things like become a better two way player, which AK has become. But you can't take a playmaker and make him become a sniper. You can't take a sniper and make him a PF.
AK is a sniper with good stickhandling and playmaking abilities. Don't expect him to crash the net more, it's simply not his game. Do you expect Gomez to score 20G???...Of course you don't. So you shouldn't wait for AK to suddenly become a PF, it won't happen.
Relax. The only reason why I want AK to crash the net more is because he is more effective that way. It's quite clear that when he crashes the net he is a better player because he is very hard to stop when he does that. I want Pouliot to do more of that too. I am not at all asking those two to ignore their stickhanlding abilities and etc. But again, both are better players when they mix it up a little.

Cammy, Pleks and Gomez are not able to crash the net with as
much success as the Pouliot and Ak can. It's not only powerforwards who crash the net you know. I am not one of those guys who think AK should be a powerforward(same with Pax and Pouliot).

Ovechkin drives to net very often, I am not saying I expect Ak to become an Ovie. But they have similar skill-sets. When Ak is on, he is like a poor version of Ovie. He simply needs to mix it up, he is too predictable.

As for Lattendresse, he was doing exactly what he was asked to here in Minnesota. Only, he chose not to do it.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Randy Cunneyworth to Montreal. I said it first.
Do they need a new trainer to pick up dirty towels in the dressing room ?

Old
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

Why did we trade Pierre Turgeon ?

Was it simply the money ?

I don't see another reason.

And a terrible terrible trade.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Ballzilly View Post
Was it simply the money ?

I don't see another reason.

And a terrible terrible trade.
Because the Habs wanted Koivu to play center on a top-two lines. Turgeon did not want to play on the wing...

But, Damphousse was the solution on the wing. So we lost Turgeon.

Old
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Because the Habs wanted Koivu to play center on a top-two lines. Turgeon did not want to play on the wing...

But, Damphousse was the solution on the wing. So we lost Turgeon.
Nice so we lost Turgeon and Ribeiro because of Koivu.(or management having too much faith in Koivu)

Worst franchise player ever behind Yashin & Dipietro lol

Old
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Ballzilly View Post
Nice so we lost Turgeon and Ribeiro because of Koivu.(or management having too much faith in Koivu)

Worst franchise player ever behind Yashin & Dipietro lol
Yep, it's Koivu's fault we weren't able to get anything close to equal value in a trade for a 27 year old player coming off a 96 point season or anything for a 25 yr old Ribeiro who had 65 and 51 points in the two previous seasons.

Old
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Relax. The only reason why I want AK to crash the net more is because he is more effective that way. It's quite clear that when he crashes the net he is a better player because he is very hard to stop when he does that. I want Pouliot to do more of that too. I am not at all asking those two to ignore their stickhanlding abilities and etc. But again, both are better players when they mix it up a little.

Cammy, Pleks and Gomez are not able to crash the net with as
much success as the Pouliot and Ak can. It's not only powerforwards who crash the net you know. I am not one of those guys who think AK should be a powerforward(same with Pax and Pouliot).

Ovechkin drives to net very often, I am not saying I expect Ak to become an Ovie. But they have similar skill-sets. When Ak is on, he is like a poor version of Ovie. He simply needs to mix it up, he is too predictable.

As for Lattendresse, he was doing exactly what he was asked to here in Minnesota. Only, he chose not to do it.
No, it's not just PF, it's grinders too. Don't get it twisted, Gionta is a PF, but he's small so people don't think he is. Yet, outside throwing huge body checks which he can't do due to his size, he fills every other criteria of what a PF is.

As for AK, I think we need to let him play his natural style. We point fingers at him, but fact is, Plek and Cammy both are struggling as well. 6pts in 12GP for Plek, that really isn't good for him. That whole line has had their problems.

As for Latendresse, no, he's not doing what he was asked to do here. He's doing the opposite. The Wild have told him to play his natural style. No need to focus on throwing hits and crashing the net, just play the way you were in juniors. That isn't what he was told to do here.

And I'm very relaxed btw

Old
01-10-2011, 08:00 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, it's not just PF, it's grinders too. Don't get it twisted, Gionta is a PF, but he's small so people don't think he is. Yet, outside throwing huge body checks which he can't do due to his size, he fills every other criteria of what a PF is.

As for AK, I think we need to let him play his natural style. We point fingers at him, but fact is, Plek and Cammy both are struggling as well. 6pts in 12GP for Plek, that really isn't good for him. That whole line has had their problems.

As for Latendresse, no, he's not doing what he was asked to do here. He's doing the opposite. The Wild have told him to play his natural style. No need to focus on throwing hits and crashing the net, just play the way you were in juniors. That isn't what he was told to do here.

And I'm very relaxed btw
I think since Gio and Gomer are going it's probably about time for Martin to move Gio up to Pleks line or something. I think Martin is a good systems guy, but I think he is terrible at utilizing his personnel.

Old
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think since Gio and Gomer are going it's probably about time for Martin to move Gio up to Pleks line or something. I think Martin is a good systems guy, but I think he is terrible at utilizing his personnel.
I think this has be the most accurate statement about Martin. I posted something earlier about this very thing. I love Martin for the fact that he brought in a system which the lacked for so long. However, he's terrible at getting his players to play at their full potential.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think everybody will agree on that. His player management is horrible and his biggest flaw.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think this has be the most accurate statement about Martin. I posted something earlier about this very thing. I love Martin for the fact that he brought in a system which the lacked for so long. However, he's terrible at getting his players to play at their full potential.
I don't know. He was pretty good at that in Ottawa.

Maybe it's more a case of lack of talent? Gionta is not a premier winger. And Plekanec is not a premier center. He's an excellent 2nd line center. But with Gomez' suckiness, he's considered our best. AK is a perimeter player, etc. Montreal doesn't have an A++ forward. It's tough to make a Ferrari out of a Volks (no offence to Volks lovers).

Old
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I don't know. He was pretty good at that in Ottawa.

Maybe it's more a case of lack of talent? Gionta is not a premier winger. And Plekanec is not a premier center. He's an excellent 2nd line center. But with Gomez' suckiness, he's considered our best. AK is a perimeter player, etc. Montreal doesn't have an A++ forward. It's tough to make a Ferrari out of a Volks (no offence to Volks lovers).
And what about Lats, O'Byrne, Lappy, D'Ago, Chipper, SK??..

Gionta and Gomez are playing as they always have. Cammy isn't clicking as well as he did. Plekanec played the same under Carbo and he seems to be getting tired. AK had his career year under Carbo, an all out ''do as you please'' system similar to the Caps's. He had a great start this season but Martin neutralized that by putting him next to Gomez and Moen.
Is he getting the best out of PK?..Really?..Likewise for Weber?..

The only guys he seems to have been getting the best out of are Pyatt, Darche and Gill.
I do like what he's done with Pouliot, limiting him to a 3rd line role with low ice time certainly took some pressure off Benny. I feel he's been one of our most and best players since the start of the year.

Other than these guys, I haven't been impressed, at all. Let's not talk about his choice of healthy scratches.

Old
01-11-2011, 06:42 AM
couris

How come when aHalak started good in the beginning of the season 80% of the posters on this board where already starting to bash Price.....and now everyone is avoiding to discuss about the franchise player Halak..............?

Old
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
How come when aHalak started good in the beginning of the season 80% of the posters on this board where already starting to bash Price.....and now everyone is avoiding to discuss about the franchise player Halak..............?
Just wait for the minute Price takes another couple game skid and Halak has a good handful of games.

Old
01-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just wait for the minute Price takes another couple game skid and Halak has a good handful of games.
Though it seems it's the same when Price is good and Halak average...

Old
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Okay, so let me ask you.

If you are coaching a team and you have a skilled offensive player who constantly misses the coaching assignments you give him, and constantly messes up his defensive assignments, to the point where he is outright not doing what he's expected, but he's a skilled player and considered a player to your future, do you ignore that stuff and still play him?

That's what the Sergei Kostitsyn situation was.

I prefer a coach to consider team needs NOW instead of in the future. I don't want to sit around and wait for Sergei Kostitsyn to become a better all-around player. If he's not going to listen, he doesn't belong on THE TEAM. There's a reason why a sophomore like Tom Pyatt sticks around. He listens to the coach. He does everything asked of him. Until you buy into the team, you stay on the fringe.
I think you have totally missed what really went down in the whole SK episode. It was never about making Sergei a better all around player. He has always been a pretty good 2 way player. He has always had balanced skills as well.

What really happened there was a mix of the following: a battle of wills, undisciplined behaviour, scandal, media feeding frenzy, extreme scrutiny, poor approach to handling the issue

Sergei has a bad temper and stubborn streak too. He takes things too personally as far as I can figure. Sometimes it led to bad penalties and behaviour.

Year two he was called out by Carbo for an entitlement attitude and taking bad penalties. I'd say both were true. The whole entitlement thing links with feeling ****-sure about his abilities.On the other hand SK was swept up in the whole "mafia gate" episode along with AK and Hamr (possibly others?). SK gets shipped down to Hamilton around the same time frame as that story and outside the protective bubble of the team SK is the only guy that gets mentioned when talking about it in the press. Kind of left holding the bag. He plays one game in the playoffs. SK probably felt screwed over all things considered. Things just were not handled well from a lot of angles

Year 3 gets off to a really bad start with Martin. Lots of focus on him after the circus the previous year. Camera footage in practice went public with Martin yelling at SK and the media had fun with that. The missed bus. Then at the very last second gets sent down to Hamilton.

After being brought back to the Habs again, Martin makes little effort to utilize the skills SK does have, which effectively happened most of his time in Montreal. Some odd benchings towards the end by Martin. If coaches got "diving" penalties, this act woulda done it.

So in one corner you have a hard headed kid who is pretty certain of himself and can't stand it when he feels he is being screwed over. In the other corner we have an equally stubborn coach. He seems to like to use a combination of benching/healthy scratch (with media help it seems) as his primary disciplinary tool

Is SK without fault? Of course not. His behaviour and lack of discipline got in the way of being effective on the ice. He needs to accept criticism better, even if he does not agree with the criticism. Playing a Don Cherry "I told you so" card I thought that was his biggest fault going into the pros. Stubborn and bad temper, undisciplined response

On on the Habs side of things. The whole thing from Year 2 forward was handled poorly. SK got left dangling there in mafia gate. The Habs figured getting him away from Mtl media was all that was needed. The whole "missed bus-send to minors last minute" was played up for maximum embarrassment to SK I thought. When brought back he was shuffled around a lot, matched with players that were never going to mesh with his skills. Silly because SK would not be in a position to look better but at the same time was not going to be able to help the club. Even more silly because everything the Habs did effectively under-mined any future trade value.

Injuries gave SK an opening for top two lines in Nashville and he seems to have taken the ball and run with it. I'm thinking that it would have been interesting to see how he would have fit with Eller or Halpern

PS: I think SK can listen. He only took 8 PIM in his last year after 64 minutes the previous one

Old
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Good thing Halak is struggling. People might be more inclined to bash Eller for not playing to his potential instantaneously and only playing 5min in 2011 so far if he was playing like he did in the playoffs. I don't think his struggles will stop Price bashers though. The hate shown seem way too deep to disappear. They're just waiting.

Old
01-12-2011, 02:15 AM
vstimpy

Bouillon on the PP in Nashville

Hi Guys,

I was watching a couple of games replay from Nashville.

(spying on S.K... ) And I noticed, that they make Francis Bouillon play on the Power-play. Maybe not on the first wave, but still. And I was wondering, is it because the D group of the preds is not that great or because the Habs just never try to put Bouillon on and see what happen ?

Thanks !

Old
01-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstimpy View Post
Hi Guys,

(spying on S.K... ) And I noticed, that they make Francis Bouillon play on the Power-play. Maybe not on the first wave, but still. And I was wondering, is it because the D group of the preds is not that great or because the Habs just never try to put Bouillon on and see what happen ?

Thanks !
He played on our 2nd PP at times. He isn't a great point man but not terrible either.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks !
They probably rotate their d's after Weber and Suter on the pp, Bouillon isn't a pp specialist with an ok shot. There wasn't room for him here on the pp with the Souray, Markov, Streit

Old
01-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks !
It's not like he was never tried there in Montreal. He played on the PP the way Gorges plays on the PP (when healthy) now... 2nd unit some games, or fill-in when needed.

But look at Nashville's defense:
51 FRANCIS BOUILLON
4 CODY FRANSON
8 KEVIN KLEIN
55 SHANE O'BRIEN
52 ALEXANDER SULZER
20 RYAN SUTER
6 SHEA WEBER

Outside of Weber and Suter, you're looking at mainly d-first type guys. And Franky has always had solid offensive instincts.

Old
01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Corey Locked recalled.

lol.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037