HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post #42: Matt Walker activated (January 13, 2011)

Old
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure that's a fair narrative... he didn't really blow up until two seasons later, and that's with him immediately more than doubling his minutes when he got to Chicago.
true, but in 05-06 he was playing guys like Calder, Bell and Arnason.
06-07 he hit 20 goals, but Chicago still didnt have much skill outside of half a season of Havlat.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Walker was horrendous in every aspect except the random big hits in Tampa. Walker wasnt looked upon as a top defender in Tampa like Meszaros was, but still looked terrible. Im not holding my breath for him.
To the Meszaros comparison, I have a friend who is a Hawk fan who likes Walker and he played pretty well for them thorough their playoff run in '09.

He just got offered a lot more money by Tampa than Chicago could afford.

He's a decent depth Dman. Can skate a bit, move the puck a bit, hit a a bit.

I'd be happy to see him healthy, waived and getting in shape with Leighton on the Phantoms until/in case we need him in the playoffs.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
To the Meszaros comparison, I have a friend who is a Hawk fan who likes Walker and he played pretty well for them thorough their playoff run in '09.

He just got offered a lot more money by Tampa than Chicago could afford.

He's a decent depth Dman. Can skate a bit, move the puck a bit, hit a a bit.

I'd be happy to see him healthy, waived and getting in shape with Leighton on the Phantoms until/in case we need him in the playoffs.
Neither will be coming up during the playoffs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Every Hawk fan I saw on here were ELATED when Walker signed in TB. Quennville apparently had a man crush on him (like Stevens and Jones) and played him way more than he should have been played.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Also, If we were to make one of the trades people are suggesting involving Carle - that trade is only doable if Walker-O'donnell were a solid d-unit.
If we are to trade Carle (or Coburn/Meszaros) this season, there will most certainly be another defenseman coming back the other way. That is probably the case even if he's moved in the off season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
jb**

also the sharpe trade they flyers recieved a decent prospect at the time in ellison who looked like he could play a little. I always liked sharpe but no way did i see him becomeing the player he is today.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

honestly, i'd rather have bartulis in the lineup than walker, and merely for the reason that bartulis is still young and might turn into a solid defender if given the ice time. when it comes to the 3rd pairing, since their abilities and impact are essentially a wash, i'd rather give the young defenseman a chance to develop his game over playing the older defenseman.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Every Hawk fan I saw on here were ELATED when Walker signed in TB. Quennville apparently had a man crush on him (like Stevens and Jones) and played him way more than he should have been played.
He is tough as nails, blocks a lot of shots and is a good fighter. Think of England of the PENS. He isn't a HW but can handle himself like one. Coaches like him because he is coachable and doesn't make waves. I England can play a regular shift so can Walker just not ahead of the current top 6.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
jb**

per timmy:
Matt Walker, recovering from hip surgery, was active in practice and participated in contact drills which was not supposed to happen for another week. Laviolette said he thought Walker was moving “pretty good” on the ice

he seems way ahead of schedule. I woudl like to see him get some time on the backline but when pronger comes back i dont see how it is possible. No doubt he will go on rehab assignment. If he does remain on the active roster i hope they give odonnel a little rest down the stretch and let walker get into some games.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
He is tough as nails, blocks a lot of shots and is a good fighter. Think of England of the PENS. He isn't a HW but can handle himself like one. Coaches like him because he is coachable and doesn't make waves. I England can play a regular shift so can Walker just not ahead of the current top 6.
Agreed, he isn't in our top 6, but he could play more and better minutes for us in the playoffs than Bartulis and Krajicek did last year - and he can do PK work at least, which would take some pressure off the top 4. Oskars is playing better this year, so Walker is probably still #8 anyway.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:31 AM
BernieParent

Good news if only to provide one of:
– depth at D
– another trading chip (either Walker or Bartulis)
– instant cap relief through waivers

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
January 12th update:

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...rs-in-atlanta/

Quote:
Matt Walker has been practicing with the team without the aid of a yellow “no-contact” jersey and could also be nearing a return. Walker seems much more likely to go on a rehab assignment to the Phantoms than Pronger, though Walker said he didn’t know a timeframe for his return.

“At this point I just wanna play and be healthy and go from there. Obviously my goal is to be able to help the team however I can,” he said. “However I need to prepare, if I need to go play some games to make sure I’m good to go, then so be it. I don’t care at this point, as long as I get to play some hockey and kinda feel good out on the ice. I know good things can come once I’m feeling good.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
honestly, i'd rather have bartulis in the lineup than walker, and merely for the reason that bartulis is still young and might turn into a solid defender if given the ice time. when it comes to the 3rd pairing, since their abilities and impact are essentially a wash, i'd rather give the young defenseman a chance to develop his game over playing the older defenseman.
i saw bartulis as the guy with the least upside of any of our d prospects, since he cant go up and down you have to look at whos going to be more valuable along the stretch. a more experienced more physical walker or the cheaper younger bart. neither has played much this year and id give it some time so they can show more in games but i think ya gotta see who is the 7 by thier play. waiving walker opens up cap and trading bartulis opens up an opportunity for gus or bourdon to get some call-up time. competition is a good scenario regardless of who wins.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i saw bartulis as the guy with the least upside of any of our d prospects, since he cant go up and down you have to look at whos going to be more valuable along the stretch. a more experienced more physical walker or the cheaper younger bart. neither has played much this year and id give it some time so they can show more in games but i think ya gotta see who is the 7 by thier play. waiving walker opens up cap and trading bartulis opens up an opportunity for gus or bourdon to get some call-up time. competition is a good scenario regardless of who wins.
if either of those 2 are playing on the bottom pait this year, they are introuble. Would be worse or as bad as last year. They do need to decide what to do with walker though. Either waive him and he is done this year. Then go acquire a 6/7 guy who is making 1mm or so on an expiring deal. Or they keep him as the #7 if they dotn plan on making any moves.

Any idea where kim johnnson is these days? i know he had a concussion last year, i assuem he hasnt recovered or some team would have signed him. Havent heard 1 word about him.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:42 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Any idea where kim johnnson is these days? i know he had a concussion last year, i assuem he hasnt recovered or some team would have signed him. Havent heard 1 word about him.
Last I heard he is still a free agent, however given all the concussions he has had it sounded like his career was pretty much over after getting one last year after being traded to the Hawks.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Almost everyone panned the Mez deal and called for Homer's head. Now that he is playing good solid D the haters have crawled back into their hole and are waiting to ponce at the first chance. As for Walker the deck is stacked against him because of Simon. But I would like to see him play for at least 20 games with us before I can make valid opinion on him. I would like to see him play and give OD and OB a break.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...#ixzz1AxjFDLnT

Quote:
BOSTON -- The move was a subtle one.

Skating on the ice at TD Garden for warmups was Matt Walker, who had yet to play a game for the Flyers this season after back-to-back hip surgeries in October and December.

Missing, though, was defenseman Oskars Bartulis.

The Flyers quietly activated Walker - and his $1.7 million salary - from the long-term injured reserve to play against the Bruins on Thursday night in Boston.

Bartulis has played the last 9 games since Chris Pronger went down with a foot injury on Dec. 15 in Montreal. He has not picked up any points and is a minus-4 this season.

Walker was acquired from Tampa Bay in the offseason, along with a 5th round pick, for forward Simon Gagne.
http://twitter.com/NHLFlyers

Quote:
WALKER TO DEBUT
Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette confirmed that Matt Walker would make his Flyer debut tonight vs. Boston after missing the first 42 games of the season.

Walker has officially been taken off long-term injured reserve, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

“He said to me ‘this is the best I’ve felt in years’,” said Holmgren. “I’m looking forward to seeing him play and see how he does. I think his presence, his physicality are going to help us right now.”

Walker has been sidelined the entire first half of the 2010-11 season after undergoing two different surgeries.

On Oct. 20, Walker had surgery on his right hip to repair a boney impingement and a torn labrum called for 10-12 weeks of recovery time. He suffered the injury during a fight he had with Devils' Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond in the Flyers opening preseason game vs. New Jersey on Sept. 21.

Walker suffered another set back in the second week of December and shortly thereafter went under the knife again on Dec. 16 to repair a cam impingement in his hip as well as a little bit of a labral debridement. He was originally expected to be out four-six weeks.

A cam impingement deals with the ball-and-socket joint to the hip. If the head is not shaped normally, the abnormal part of the head can jam in the socket when the hip is bent.

Which brings us to today, a little past the four-week mark.
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...-flyers-debut/

Quote:
But for Walker – who had been on long-term injured reserve – this is a major milestone. It’s the former Lightning defenseman’s first experience with nagging injuries during his NHL career.

“It’s nothing that I’ve dealt with before,” he said. “I’ve had issues – same as anybody through their career – but to come here and go a different direction it may be a real positive thing. …

“I’m hoping this opens a lot longer of a career for me.”

But what about his Flyers career. Walker’s $1.7 million cap hit erases any actual cap space for the Flyers, though they could still acquire a player making up to $1.9 million using their long-term injured reserve exemption. Asked earlier in the week about how he thought the cap would affect him, Walker shrugged it off.

“Not my problem. Nothing I can do about it anyways. That’s the business side of it, and that’s what’s tough with the salary cap now; every team is going through it,” Walker said. “You see a lot of players getting moved around or trying to get moved around. It’s a tough business now with the salary cap the way it is.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote