HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upcoming trip to Philly!

Old
01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
hexxy2727

vCash: 500
Upcoming trip to Philly!

I am getting very excited about my upcoming trip to Philly next weeks. I will be attending 3 games next week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. (Washington, Ottawa and New Jersey). Where would you recommend going pre game and do people from this site get together anywhere? I am traveling with my 8 year old son, so a bar is out of the question. All Flyers fans should appreciate having such a great owner as Ed Snider. His daughter Lindy is one fabulous lady and I appreciate everything she is doing for me on this trip. Take care and see you all next week. GO FLYERS GO!!!!

hexxy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:09 PM
MsWoof

Wow, have a great time! Where are you coming from? I love it when Flyers fans get to go to games when they don't live there, it's great for people like me who are from elsewhere.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

where are you staying, you should really think about taking him to some flyers practices on non game days. we stay near the practice facility you can even take him skating there later in the day. and maybe even get some autographs. i would just get there when doors open and walk around theconcourse theres great displays on the flyers and sixers and different things.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
FlyersFanatic

Awesome man. A buddy and I are heading down from NY for the Ottawa game.

FlyersFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

You should definitely check out Chickie and Pete's before one of the games. It's a restaurant/bar.. and fine for the kids. Also, you can leave your car (rental?) in that lot and take the "crab cab" to the game which can be easier than trying to park.

I don't know of any HF get-togethers, but you should have a blast any way!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
hexxy2727

I am flying in from Vancouver Island, Canada in beautiful British Columbia. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Believe it or not the Snider family has provided me with 3 free box seats for all 3 games. They will also be taking my son and myself to the locker room after the game. It is a long but interesting story how this all came about. That is why I am so thankful to Lindy Snider and her son Garrett. It will be a hockey road trip of a lifetime.

Old
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
hexxy2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
where are you staying, you should really think about taking him to some flyers practices on non game days. we stay near the practice facility you can even take him skating there later in the day. and maybe even get some autographs. i would just get there when doors open and walk around theconcourse theres great displays on the flyers and sixers and different things.
We are staying at the Holiday Inn downtown. I actually have considered heading to the skatezone.

Old
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy2727 View Post
I am flying in from Vancouver Island, Canada in beautiful British Columbia. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Believe it or not the Snider family has provided me with 3 free box seats for all 3 games. They will also be taking my son and myself to the locker room after the game. It is a long but interesting story how this all came about. That is why I am so thankful to Lindy Snider and her son Garrett. It will be a hockey road trip of a lifetime.

Welllllll... we have loads of time... dish the dirt please.

Haha, seriously, it sounds like you will be having a ball. Your eight year old boy should have the time of his life visiting the locker room... and I certain the Sniders will make sure you enjoy the hospitality in those seats.

I'd say I hope you have a blast... but why bother since I know you will.

The idea of the practice visits is a good one, BTW, but might not be as impressive after the visit to the locker room. haha.

Visiting the tourist traps all the books mention really is a must if you enjoy history and people... I'd recommend Pat's and Geno's intersection at the base of the Italian Market -- now a multicultural market -- and the Reading Terminal Market is always interesting for adults who enjoy Yuppy stuff.

Chickie's and Pete's is a nice sports bar and Celebres Pizza a few doors down is a nice pizza place.

I'd see the Rittenhouse Park area and the Fiddler Square little park a short walk West... Avenue of the Arts down Broad Street and City Hall is a nice cultural visit and South Street during an afternoon has it's moments... China Town has many fine restaurants and Passyunk Avenue in South Philly is an u and coming area... Northern Liberty has the Bohemian flair and can be fun.

HTH

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
hof2120

It's not well known or historical, but if you want pizza go to Pizza Palace on 12th and Chestnut. You won't be disappointed.

hof2120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
That is just so awesome! And, speaking for myself, I feel very lucky to have Snider as an owner. I can't think of another owner that cares, truly cares, more about their team or fans.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
That is just so awesome! And, speaking for myself, I feel very lucky to have Snider as an owner. I can't think of another owner that cares, truly cares, more about their team or fans.
AMEN, Sister... Cannot be stressed enough, IMO.

Old
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
hexxy2727

The low down!

Alright I will tell the story as quick as possible. My son and myself flew in for Game 6 of the Finals. Being from Vancouver, Canada we have a way different approach to scalpers. They do not bother scalpers here at all unless they are on the arena property. Needless to say I figured it would be easy to grab tickets before the game. I was wrong and there were very few people selling tickets. Finally I ended up buying 2 tickets for $800. When I got to the gate I soon found out the tickets were fake. So here I am 90 minutes before faceoff with no tickets and no money left. I happened to see Brian Propp by a VIP entrance and figured at least his autograph would make my 8 year old feel a bit better. He was still crying loudly as I got Propp's autograph. The door guy asked me why my son was so upset, so I explained to him what happened. So just as I finish my story a lady walks in and the door guy calls here over and tells her. She asks my son and myself to take a seat and asks for the fake tickets. 10 minutes later the lady comes back and hands me an envelope. She says here is your tickets and they are compliments of the Philadelphia Flyers. I was near tears and figured I should find out who she is. She tells me she is Lindy Snider, the daughter of the owner. I gave her a huge hug, got a picture and headed into the game. Once I get back home 3 days later I figured I should do something for Lindy. I emailed Dan Gross of the Philadelphia Daily News and filled him in on the story. I also asked if he would promote Lindi Skin in the article. Low and behold he writes a story one day later. Lindy Snider found out about the story and contacted me on facebook. She was so pleased with what I did, she said anytime I fly to Philly for games she will supply the tickets for me and my family. So here we are just one week away from my return to Philadelphia. Gotta love the Flyers and the Snider family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Welllllll... we have loads of time... dish the dirt please.

Haha, seriously, it sounds like you will be having a ball. Your eight year old boy should have the time of his life visiting the locker room... and I certain the Sniders will make sure you enjoy the hospitality in those seats.

I'd say I hope you have a blast... but why bother since I know you will.

The idea of the practice visits is a good one, BTW, but might not be as impressive after the visit to the locker room. haha.

Visiting the tourist traps all the books mention really is a must if you enjoy history and people... I'd recommend Pat's and Geno's intersection at the base of the Italian Market -- now a multicultural market -- and the Reading Terminal Market is always interesting for adults who enjoy Yuppy stuff.

Chickie's and Pete's is a nice sports bar and Celebres Pizza a few doors down is a nice pizza place.

I'd see the Rittenhouse Park area and the Fiddler Square little park a short walk West... Avenue of the Arts down Broad Street and City Hall is a nice cultural visit and South Street during an afternoon has it's moments... China Town has many fine restaurants and Passyunk Avenue in South Philly is an u and coming area... Northern Liberty has the Bohemian flair and can be fun.

HTH

Old
01-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Alright I will tell the story as quick as possible. My son and myself flew in for Game 6 of the Finals. Being from Vancouver, Canada we have a way different approach to scalpers. They do not bother scalpers here at all unless they are on the arena property. Needless to say I figured it would be easy to grab tickets before the game. I was wrong and there were very few people selling tickets. Finally I ended up buying 2 tickets for $800. When I got to the gate I soon found out the tickets were fake. So here I am 90 minutes before faceoff with no tickets and no money left. I happened to see Brian Propp by a VIP entrance and figured at least his autograph would make my 8 year old feel a bit better. He was still crying loudly as I got Propp's autograph. The door guy asked me why my son was so upset, so I explained to him what happened. So just as I finish my story a lady walks in and the door guy calls here over and tells her. She asks my son and myself to take a seat and asks for the fake tickets. 10 minutes later the lady comes back and hands me an envelope. She says here is your tickets and they are compliments of the Philadelphia Flyers. I was near tears and figured I should find out who she is. She tells me she is Lindy Snider, the daughter of the owner. I gave her a huge hug, got a picture and headed into the game. Once I get back home 3 days later I figured I should do something for Lindy. I emailed Dan Gross of the Philadelphia Daily News and filled him in on the story. I also asked if he would promote Lindi Skin in the article. Low and behold he writes a story one day later. Lindy Snider found out about the story and contacted me on facebook. She was so pleased with what I did, she said anytime I fly to Philly for games she will supply the tickets for me and my family. So here we are just one week away from my return to Philadelphia. Gotta love the Flyers and the Snider family.
Like father, like daughter.

What a great and heartwarming story... Makes me so proud to be a Flyers fan.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Old
01-11-2011, 06:54 AM
JCameron418

Philly's more fun when you sleep over

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Like father, like daughter.

What a great and heartwarming story... Makes me so proud to be a Flyers fan.

Thanks for sharing that with us.
I love how Canadian scalpers are still better than most law-abiding Americans, haha.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote