HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa's 1st Rounder

Old
01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Spezza is still > Jake. Is he worth 3.5 million more? I guess we'll find out over the next few years.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Wait what? You want to trade Brass for Lee? Or are you suggesting another thinking Ottawa wouldnt take the 1st one....personally, I think we need a rebuild and Spezza would just be a waste of assets.
i said i think i'd do...i just am at my desk and not with time to think it thru...but yeah, more along your second thought...

i dunno...just trying to think about something...i definately don't think a player of his ilk is a "waste of assets"

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Spezza is still > Jake. Is he worth 3.5 million more? I guess we'll find out over the next few years.
that is definately an interesting question....

Old
01-10-2011, 12:14 PM
JacketsFanWest

I'd love to see the Jackets land Landeskog, but I don't see them trading for a pick.

I could see instead the Jackets trading their 1st rounder. While Edmonton, NYI and New Jersey will likely have top top 3 picks and if the season ended today, the Jackets would be picking 9th, things are so tight and that I could see Howson trying to use the possibility that the Jackets completely blow the rest of the season and end up with a top 5 pick as leverage. It might be the biggest asset the Jackets have.

If they do make the playoffs or nearly make the playoffs, they aren't giving up that by trading a 11-22 pick for an impact player. And they have enough depth right now to risk it.

But if the Jackets tank, it could look ridiculously stupid (like the Phil Kessel trade, but not nearly as bad).

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
The only guy I am excited about in the draft this year, so far, is Adam Larrson. At the rate we are going, we will be able to draft him without having to trade anything to get there.

No go on the Voracek deal.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i said i think i'd do...i just am at my desk and not with time to think it thru...but yeah, more along your second thought...

i dunno...just trying to think about something...i definately don't think a player of his ilk is a "waste of assets"
I think Spezza would be a waste if we only have 1 line of scoring. Say we trade Brass + Jake + for Spezza...we then only have Nash Spezza Huselius, Rj Vermette Filatov. Now that might look nice but can we actually win with that group? And its no sure think Jake and Brass gets you Spezza. On top of that, we drafted Johansen to play with Nash. I think our better bet is to get a #1 d man for Filatov, Jake, or Brass.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I think Spezza would be a waste if we only have 1 line of scoring.
Gotta start the upgrades somewhere bro. In a round-about-way your basically saying don't get a top line center because we'll lose depth.

Kind of symptomatic of our current crisis. Your basically saying that we should stick with the status quo.

You have to supplement the trade route with FA's and the farm system. Which means each player on the team has to be worth the money spent. If they aren't they need replaced ASAP. No more chasing potential with dollars. So if you get Spezza, you can't stop there. And you would need to replace the dead weight to get you the budget space.

Old
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
GScott

Quote:
I think Spezza would be a waste if we only have 1 line of scoring. Say we trade Brass + Jake + for Spezza...we then only have Nash Spezza Huselius, Rj Vermette Filatov. Now that might look nice but can we actually win with that group? And its no sure think Jake and Brass gets you Spezza. On top of that, we drafted Johansen to play with Nash. I think our better bet is to get a #1 d man for Filatov, Jake, or Brass.
And how long is Johansen away from playing in the NHL? This is the same argument that has been made every year for as long as I can remember. Last year I kept saying we should move Brassard/Voracek for someone like Spezza. Everyone said it would be stupid top move them because they were going to be studs this year. How has that worked out?

You cannot go into next season banking on players with no NHL experience to fill big gaps in the lineup. Johansen looked good in one tournament and suddenly he is NHL ready. Sorry but he is no Crosby or Ovechkin. He is not going to make a difference for years. If he doesn't make the team out of camp next year he has to go back to juniors. He's not even old enough to play in the AHL next year but he's going to be a #1 center in the NHL?

This team needs a top center and a serious upgrade on defense now. Not 2-3 years from now.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
ummmm is Jake and Brass really getting it done for us currently??? as Blah said...gotta start somewhere...we have people like Kubalik and Calvert in the pipeline...there are other options if we have to

plus as witnessed with top teams, you can find "decent" wingers all over...

Old
01-10-2011, 02:56 PM
blahblah

Well he also does have a point that the #1 dman is certainly a reasonable place to start as well.

If you had two offers on the table, one for #1 D and one for #1 C. Which do you go for, with everything else being equal? Might have to go with the D.

But the odds of both landing at the same time are slim. Embrace either opportunity if you get it.

Old
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Well he also does have a point that the #1 dman is certainly a reasonable place to start as well.

If you had two offers on the table, one for #1 D and one for #1 C. Which do you go for, with everything else being equal? Might have to go with the D.

But the odds of both landing at the same time are slim. Embrace either opportunity if you get it.
If today we could either get #1 D or #1 C, I go D. A minute eater could not only soothe our horrible defensive zone play, it would make transition play better and O zone play better, because this #1 Dman will have a shot from the point and can run a PP.

Obviously you go with whatever presents itself first, but if I'm SH, I try to get that Dman. It looks like he is looking D first if the rumors about JJ were true.

Last edited by Jaxs: 01-10-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

guess I'd go with #1D as well...obviously we have two HUUUUUGE holes to fill...part of me thinks we can get spezza though...not much of me thinks we can get the #1D...

Old
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm for Spezza if we are in rebuild. He won't help from the pressbox being injured. Has Howson given up or is he trying to save this season?

Old
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
GScott

Sorry but I go with the #1 center. Franchise centers are much harder to come by and a true #1 center will by nature upgrade your defense. Also, how long has this team been scoring challenged? I agree the defense on this team is beyond bad but IMHO their main problem is the puck handling and decision making. We don't need an elite #1 to fix these problems just some dmen with actual skill and someone who can run the powerplay. Hmmm. I seem to remember 2 of those recently looking for jobs (bergeron and Williams) and our brilliant GM passed on both.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Williams while here definitely helped, but has had two groin surgeries since playing here. He was slow then and is probably Klesla slow now.

Old
01-10-2011, 08:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Jake and our 2nd round pick for Spezza.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey