HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D-Men in the off season

Old
01-09-2011, 11:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Ballard would be a prime option for Nashville if that could be arranged. Top 4, 2-way, longish contract, affordable $4.2m contract. Ballard takes over the hole on defense that Weber vacated. The question would be just how much extra would it take, and if Ballard would accept it.
Ballard doesn't have a no trade clause.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
It's limited but he does have a no-trade clause.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:29 AM
kanuck87

I doubt we have the trade pieces to acquire Weber. If anything, I'd be worried about a team like Detroit getting him. They can offer Nashville a young NHL-ready defenseman (Ericsson) or a good defense prospect (Kindl/Smith), plus a package of other picks and prospects. As we saw with last night's game, some of their prospects can definitely play. If they strike out in free agency, I imagine they'll aggressively pursue Weber if he's available.

The only way I see him coming to Vancouver is if he demands a trade to only Vancouver, though I think it's highly unlikely.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:17 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
He can name 7 teams. If wants he can name 7 teams with no cap space available and no interesting assest for the nucks, and make nashville not one of the those teams. gets hard to trade him then.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I doubt we have the trade pieces to acquire Weber. If anything, I'd be worried about a team like Detroit getting him. They can offer Nashville a young NHL-ready defenseman (Ericsson) or a good defense prospect (Kindl/Smith), plus a package of other picks and prospects. As we saw with last night's game, some of their prospects can definitely play. If they strike out in free agency, I imagine they'll aggressively pursue Weber if he's available.

The only way I see him coming to Vancouver is if he demands a trade to only Vancouver, though I think it's highly unlikely.
Nashville and Detroit are in the same division.... Why would they help out a divisional rival like that? Also Nashville would be looking for forwards/forward prospects if they moved Weber as they have a glut of young defenseman.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:22 AM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post

I've seen Weber on TSN state that he isn't going anywhere. He isn't going anywhere.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:39 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
He can name 7 teams. If wants he can name 7 teams with no cap space available and no interesting assest for the nucks, and make nashville not one of the those teams. gets hard to trade him then.
I didn't know that one could tailor the NTC like that, interesting.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
cc

the odds of Weber coming to the Canucks was the same as Joe Sakic or Scott Neidermeyer becoming a Canuck.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
the odds of Weber coming to the Canucks was the same as Joe Sakic or Scott Neidermeyer becoming a Canuck.
I'm still hoping... I'll give up when they're inducted into the HOF

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Proto

I highly doubt the Weber speculation is in any way accurate, but for people talking about what you'd have to give up, Nashville would definitely want some young forwards with potential. I'd say any package would include a couple of high draft picks, Mason Raymond, and a prospect. Nashville would want Hodgson, Canucks would probably counter with Schroeder.

As I said, I don't expect it to happen, but you'd definitely be looking at a good forward leaving the Canucks as well as a good forward prospect. Goaltending and defense are two things the Preds have covered, seemingly from here into eternity.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I highly doubt the Weber speculation is in any way accurate, but for people talking about what you'd have to give up, Nashville would definitely want some young forwards with potential. I'd say any package would include a couple of high draft picks, Mason Raymond, and a prospect. Nashville would want Hodgson, Canucks would probably counter with Schroeder.

As I said, I don't expect it to happen, but you'd definitely be looking at a good forward leaving the Canucks as well as a good forward prospect. Goaltending and defense are two things the Preds have covered, seemingly from here into eternity.
This is what I think as well. Something along the lines of Raymond/Schroeder/Shirokov/1st

Even then, as Nashville I might be inclined to take 4 1sts instead.

from an asset management standpoint from Vancouver though it doesn't make sense. Ballard becomes your 5th dman for the forseeable future unless one or both of Ehrhoff/Edler are not in your future. And realistically it doesn't make sense to rock Edler/Ehrhoff/Weber in the cap era.

The only reason the Canucks make this deal is if Ehrhoff wants too much money.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Bleach Clean

Talking about offseason Dmen speculation, the Bieksa situation is a little concerning to me. My fear is that Bieksa plays against type in the short-term, and doesn't do something glaring in the post-season (as is his pattern), and then is re-signed before he hits FA. His role is then maintained with the team. Accordingly, the Canucks keep Ballard on the bottom pairing.

After all that is done, he proceeds to suck again.

That would be a disaster. I hope that does not occur here.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Talking about offseason Dmen speculation, the Bieksa situation is a little concerning to me. My fear is that Bieksa plays against type in the short-term, and doesn't do something glaring in the post-season (as is his pattern), and then is re-signed before he hits FA. His role is then maintained with the team. Accordingly, the Canucks keep Ballard on the bottom pairing.

After all that is done, he proceeds to suck again.

That would be a disaster. I hope that does not occur here.
From what I've seen, I think he's finally "got it" and accepted that as a defensive he's better erring on the side of defense. With Edler & Ehrhoff (and the rest of the D barring Alberts) all capabable of putting up points he's not trying to be Paul Coffey every game.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This is what I think as well. Something along the lines of Raymond/Schroeder/Shirokov/1st
Ballard + Raymond (or Schroeder) + 1st would have to tempt Nashville just a little bit. I'll even throw in Shirokov.

Quote:
Even then, as Nashville I might be inclined to take 4 1sts instead.

from an asset management standpoint from Vancouver though it doesn't make sense. Ballard becomes your 5th dman for the forseeable future unless one or both of Ehrhoff/Edler are not in your future. And realistically it doesn't make sense to rock Edler/Ehrhoff/Weber in the cap era.

The only reason the Canucks make this deal is if Ehrhoff wants too much money.
If they are prepared to meet his salary expectations it will just be about the number of years. If Weber wants a contract that takes him to UFA, then Nashville has to seriously think about moving him as he won't be there that long and doesn't seem to want to stay. If he signs long term I don't see him moving.

Signing Weber does cause a few issues for the Nucks.

During the season we'd have Weber - Ehrhoff - Beiksa - Salo as our 4 right side D. Not such a terrible problem I guess, but in the off season who do they let go, Ehrhoff or Bieksa (assuming Salo retires). Hard to keep a really expensive 3rd pairing D when Weber may want ask $6+. And if they are going to let one go, do they trade them now (to get back some assets) and make room for Salo. Is it worth shaking up the D that much on a team that isn't losing games?

Old
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Ballard + Raymond (or Schroeder) + 1st would have to tempt Nashville just a little bit. I'll even throw in Shirokov.

If they are prepared to meet his salary expectations it will just be about the number of years. If Weber wants a contract that takes him to UFA, then Nashville has to seriously think about moving him as he won't be there that long and doesn't seem to want to stay. If he signs long term I don't see him moving.

Signing Weber does cause a few issues for the Nucks.

During the season we'd have Weber - Ehrhoff - Beiksa - Salo as our 4 right side D. Not such a terrible problem I guess, but in the off season who do they let go, Ehrhoff or Bieksa (assuming Salo retires). Hard to keep a really expensive 3rd pairing D when Weber may want ask $6+. And if they are going to let one go, do they trade them now (to get back some assets) and make room for Salo. Is it worth shaking up the D that much on a team that isn't losing games?
Ballard isn't getting traded.

Gillis can afford to spend as much as he wants on Defence due to his other cap space saving deals (Sedins @6.1, Kes @ 5, Burr @ 5, Edler @ 3.5, Lou @ 5.3)

Having a defence of:

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Weber - Ballard

Not put in order, just some possible pairings. That defence is a beautiful sight.

Old
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Nedved1*

Quote:
I think he has to do this by July 1st . He cant keep changing the 7 teams all season .

Regardless, the Rangers just proved today they can make space in a trade.

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Ballard isn't getting traded.
Pretty sure we've established it is rather unlikely.

Quote:
Gillis can afford to spend as much as he wants on Defence due to his other cap space saving deals (Sedins @6.1, Kes @ 5, Burr @ 5, Edler @ 3.5, Lou @ 5.3)

Having a defence of:

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Weber - Ballard

Not put in order, just some possible pairings. That defence is a beautiful sight.

That's an increase of about $7-8m. Hodgson needs to have his bonus included. So I doubt Gillis could fit that D in next year.

Old
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Burr @ 5,
Overpayment.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
No.

Schneider, Schroeder, Shirokov, 1st in 2011, 1st in 2012
The Preds have solid goaltending in Rinne and Lindback not to mention having Chet Pickard coming through the system.

They have no need for Schneider.
Schroeder would have to be included, and possibly Rodin (they'll be asking for Hodgson).

I'd personally offer Raymond, Ballard(NTC contingent) + 1st for Weber.

Ballard is signed to an affordable cap number for years to come and Raymond is a solid top 6 forward.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Overpayment.
yeah yeah haw haw haw

Old
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
I don't think Bieksa or Salo would be kept if the Canucks somehow landed Weber - as a right handed defenceman who plays on the right side he obviously replaces one, and given his salary would probably replace both.

Having Ehrhoff and Weber also fill out the top 4, and would leave us with

Hamhuis - Weber
Edler - Ehrhoff

which would be pretty damn amazing. Pipe dream though and affording him would require a bit of juggling.

I have us next season at

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2)
Raymond (2.55) - Kesler (5) - Hodgson (1.725)
Tambellini (0.75) - Malhotra (2.5) - Samuelsson (2.5)
Glass (0.75) - Bolduc (0.55) - Hansen (1)
Depth player (0.5)

Hamhuis (4.5) - R handed defenceman
Edler (3.25) - Ehrhoff (4.75)
Ballard (4.2) - Alberts (1.5)
Rome (0.75)

Luongo (5.3)
Schneider (0.9)

Just gives a bit less than 5 million for that last defenceman. Bieksa at his current salary makes too much sense. Adding a player like Weber would be amazing but I'm thinking he will probably want somewhere around 6.5, and perhaps Raymond would be sent the other way or Samuelsson moved elsewhere but the forward depth would suffer.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote