HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Garden is back....

Old
12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I don't know about this. The local newspapers still hide hockey in the bowels of the sports section after cockroach racing. It takes me at least 2 or 3 minutes to find the token Rangers article.
I don't expect the Rangers' coverage to hit its "stride"...if there is one...until well after the local NFL season is over with.

However realistic it may or may not be, the Giants & Jets are in the small window of Super Bowl discussion. If the Knicks can keep their heads above water to make the playoffs they will get well-deserved attention for their "renaissance".

And if the Rangers keep up or accelerate their current pace, they won't be ignored as much either. Especially since they really haven't hosted a lot of their more passionate rivals like Pitt, Philly, Montreal, or even NJ.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:19 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
the crowds today pale in comparison to the 80's and up until the mid 90's...those were the days when the crowds were at their best...today it is still totally lame
If there was ever a golden age for The Garden it was in the late 1960s when the building was new and the Rangers became a good team after a very long stretch. There was genuine excitement unlike I have ever seen. The "We're Number One" cheers used to send chills down my spine.

I've never been much on these good arena, bad arena threads. The Garden is always good when the scene is good. And when it's not, it's still the world's greatest arena. I only get to NY these days for important games and playoff games and I'm never disappointed with the atmosphere. I've been to almost every other NHL arena and few are anything close to The Garden.

I do think this team has really captured the heart of the fan base and that doesn't hurt. I'm seeing a lot less cynicism around here and a lot more optimism. Happy fans are loud fans. And even when the team loses, the effort is excellent. You can't win the Stanley Cup every year (God know I know that) but you can be entertained every year. I can count on one hand how many Ranger games this year have not been entertaining.

Last edited by bobbop: 12-18-2010 at 12:27 AM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Giacomin

As a Rangers fan for over 40 years I think the 70,s and the 80,s were definitely the heyday of the Rangers at MSG leading up to 1994. I think that the fact that the Rangers became good in the early 70,s and made the playoffs almost every year for a 25 year stretch plus the personalities involved ie. Fotiu,Duguay,Greschner,Giacomin etc made the Rangers more relevant back then. I keep saying it but things will never be the same.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:20 PM
polako

Hate the Sunday games - the crowd is always dead.

Thursday night games have the best atmosphere, I think.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:29 PM
TheCaptain

ya i was at the knicks game last night it was nuts in the first half, I really hope the garden stays loud because none of the new stadiums are loud anymore: Yankee Stadium, Citi Field and even the meadowlands isn't loud anymore. It's because tix r so expensive in this recession and all the rich people take away the good seats from real fans it's annoying. I just hope it stays loud and the new renovations doesn't ruin it.

TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Giacomin

The Garden is definitely back. I just got back from tonights game and the buzz inside and outside was unreal. I could tell by the amount of scalpers outside and I asked the Host at Stout and he said since the Boston Game business has really picked up for the Rangers and the Knicks have done really well. I also asked the girl I always buy beer from and she also pointed out the Boston Game and said her tips have gone up about $35 a game since them and she doesn,t account it towards the Holiday. The Garden is back! and I can,t wait towards April

Old
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
The Garden is definitely back. I just got back from tonights game and the buzz inside and outside was unreal. I could tell by the amount of scalpers outside and I asked the Host at Stout and he said since the Boston Game business has really picked up for the Rangers and the Knicks have done really well. I also asked the girl I always buy beer from and she also pointed out the Boston Game and said her tips have gone up about $35 a game since them and she doesn,t account it towards the Holiday. The Garden is back! and I can,t wait towards April
Should be interesting to see the atmosphere for Monday. I remember the game last year against the Isles on the 26th when Dubi tied it in the last minute. The whole game had a playoff atmosphere to it and I'm expecting it for this year also.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
polako

Agree - last night had a great atmosphere. Probably because everybody was in the holiday spirit, and by 'holiday spirit,'i mean piss drunk.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Should be interesting to see the atmosphere for Monday. I remember the game last year against the Isles on the 26th when Dubi tied it in the last minute. The whole game had a playoff atmosphere to it and I'm expecting it for this year also.
Lol I remember that goal mainly because of Giannone's awesome call. "SCORE SCOOOOOREEE!"

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Agree - last night had a great atmosphere. Probably because everybody was in the holiday spirit, and by 'holiday spirit,'i mean piss drunk.
I am on my way to piss drunk level right now

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:11 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
the garden has been great the 4 games i went to so far this season especially when the blackhawks were in town

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Giacomin

Tonight will be interesting. The Rangers are Playing the Canes who usually are not a hot draw but are presently in 9th and I hope the Rangers can win in regulation to put a little space between them. I expect MSG to be electric tonight based on the importance of tonights game. Next week we have the 3 Canadien teams coming in so I hope our fans make a statement. MSG has to be happy overall since it looks like the Knicks are coming back.
LGR

Old
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
Tonight will be interesting. The Rangers are Playing the Canes who usually are not a hot draw but are presently in 9th and I hope the Rangers can win in regulation to put a little space between them. I expect MSG to be electric tonight based on the importance of tonights game. Next week we have the 3 Canadien teams coming in so I hope our fans make a statement. MSG has to be happy overall since it looks like the Knicks are coming back.
LGR
what about the red storm too a couple nights ago? beating georgetown

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

1st per of nyr vs car game. i was appalled at how quiet it was. didnt hear ONE lets go rangers chant, or basically anything from anyone in the stands.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apulsch View Post
1st per of nyr vs car game. i was appalled at how quiet it was. didnt hear ONE lets go rangers chant, or basically anything from anyone in the stands.
Can't really expect much crowd noise from a Game against Carolina. Would you rather go to a game vs Carolina or the flyers/pens/lightning and pay the same money.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yes the Garden is definitely back...

During Knicks games

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Yes the Garden is definitely back...

During Knicks games
And after over a decade, finally St. John's games as well

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Giacomin

The atmosphere tonight reminded me of a playoff game. After Carolina tied it the crowd intensity was unreal. And when Zucarello scored the noise was intense. Definitely the loudest I have ever seen a non-division game in the last 15 years.

Old
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
Liberty games aren't bad either.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Can't really expect much crowd noise from a Game against Carolina. Would you rather go to a game vs Carolina or the flyers/pens/lightning and pay the same money.
Two points is 2 points in the standings and I've seen some pretty good games over the years from many different teams, not just the ones you mentioned. In fact, one of the best weeks of hockey I saw at the Garden were back to back games in 1997-8: the first against Buffalo (with Hasek in his prime) that ended up in 0-0 tie and then two days later against Carolina with Richter pulling off another shutout (1-0) against Irbe.

The league is not going to go back to 6 teams, so fans will always "have" to see some "lesser" teams--that's not going to go away. And it's been a long time since the fans at the Garden have seen consistantly good hockey over the course of several seasons--something that makes it a lot easier for fans to get excited every single game, even on a cold day in early January. Factor in the high ticket prices--which will not go down for any team, only go up for the "popular" games--and you have a place that will most likely never have as much jump or excitement as the "good old days."

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:18 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Lightning? Haha, yeah ok.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:36 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
The circus provides an atmosphere unmatchable!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Shouldn't matter.. ..... The Rangers deserve a deafening crowd no matter the team

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Was at the Spurs/Knicks game the other night and I have never heard it that loud, with the cheer being positive, at the garden before. Went to that Bucks game a few years back when they lost by 50 the night before and the building rained down on them with boos.

It was nice to hear the fans yelling from 8 minutes left in the 4th until the Spurs pulled their starters. Hope it gets like that for some of the Rangers games down the road, cause it was insane in that building.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
nyrmetros

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-305637

Wish we could do that on a regular basis......

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote