HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Detroit JWC-tracker

Old
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
ChadS

vCash: 500
Järnkrok just tied the semi-final against Russia to 2-2. A deflection goal from in front of the net.

He's now at 2+3 points in 5 games. Pulkkinen had 2+6 in 5 games and plays his last game tomorrow against Switzerland for places 5-6.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Canada clearly lost because Sheahan wasn't there.

Seriously...after that debacle I'm almost happy we don't have any prospects on the Canadian team. I would want them gone.

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
newfy

I doubt you would see Russia scoring like that with Sheahan on the ice and his defensive play.

I'm still mad after having the best camp he didnt make it Cameron is an idiot.

His boy Cizikas doesn't even have to play the final game of tryouts and is guaranteed a spot with the likes of Schenn, kassian etc. How the **** is a 4th line center guaranteed a spot like that?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I doubt you would see Russia scoring like that with Sheahan on the ice and his defensive play.

I'm still mad after having the best camp he didnt make it Cameron is an idiot.

His boy Cizikas doesn't even have to play the final game of tryouts and is guaranteed a spot with the likes of Schenn, kassian etc. How the **** is a 4th line center guaranteed a spot like that?
I honestly don't think Cizikas was that bad throughout the tournament. Everybody stopped in the third.

I do, however, think Sheahan would have been much better. I just find him better all-around not to mention the size difference. We'd have been even better on the boards than we were. I would also hope he would have more heart than the guys I saw tonight.

Cizikas, IMO, just isn't as good.

And yes, after a meltdown like that I think the coach is to blame. The team was dominant but when they slowed down he couldn't get them back into it.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament View Post
I honestly don't think Cizikas was that bad throughout the tournament. Everybody stopped in the third.

I do, however, think Sheahan would have been much better. I just find him better all-around not to mention the size difference. We'd have been even better on the boards than we were. I would also hope he would have more heart than the guys I saw tonight.

Cizikas, IMO, just isn't as good.

And yes, after a meltdown like that I think the coach is to blame. The team was dominant but when they slowed down he couldn't get them back into it.
No Cizikas wasn't that bad but everyone knew Sheahan was the best defensive forward at the camp (by everyone I mean Bob Mackenzie lol) and he completely lit it up. Then Cameron goes and doesn't even play his captain the final tryout game? There is something seriously fishy about that.

There were a lot of guys Sheahan out played in the camp that didnt play well in the tournament at all. Ashton was one, Cizikas did nothing special, hell even Connolly who was a high pick didnt have a good camp and didnt have a good tourney.

Sheahan should have been on that team, especially after teh coach said he was going for size and defensive play from his centerman. Who fits that better than a 6'2 204 pounder who shuts down 24 year olds consistently and can play physical?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Nordic*

Jarnkrok looks like a Zetterberg:esque player. Could be a keeper.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
No Cizikas wasn't that bad but everyone knew Sheahan was the best defensive forward at the camp (by everyone I mean Bob Mackenzie lol) and he completely lit it up. Then Cameron goes and doesn't even play his captain the final tryout game? There is something seriously fishy about that.

There were a lot of guys Sheahan out played in the camp that didnt play well in the tournament at all. Ashton was one, Cizikas did nothing special, hell even Connolly who was a high pick didnt have a good camp and didnt have a good tourney.

Sheahan should have been on that team, especially after teh coach said he was going for size and defensive play from his centerman. Who fits that better than a 6'2 204 pounder who shuts down 24 year olds consistently and can play physical?
I agree. The only reason I can think of (apart from Cizikas being favored by the coach) is because the others are having good years in their respective leagues whereas Sheahan has been disappointing so far despite his camp.

Connolly I'm not as bitter about because he's got huge talent anyways, but it could also explain Foligno (who had a great camp, is having a very good year and doesn't have Connolly's draft hype).

That's the only way I can see it. I always thought Sheahan should have been on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Who are you and what have you done with Nordic?

I like the way he plays, he goes to the net and is a shooter. He'll get goals...the only thing is that he's pushed around a lot. He needs to get stronger.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I missed the entire preliminary portion of the tournament because I was out of town over the holidays, but I did record all the games. Just watched the Czechs get stormed by the Canucks, and I can't say I'm very impressed by Nestrasil. Some observations (good, bad, and otherwise)....

- skating itself isn't as bad as I feared, but he does float and doesn't seem to have a 'burst'

- doesn't look very effective on the boards/in the corners/in scrums

- low compete level

- defense seems to be a bit of a foreign concept, though he did intercept a couple of key pass attempts

- you see guys in hockey who "gravitate to the puck".... he definitely does not; seems to always be waiting for the puck to come to him

- seems to have poise with the puck, but his passes are spotty at best (in this game, in fact, he had numerous turnovers; the flip side is that his linemates did not create much space though)

- someone mentioned that he doesn't look as big as he is listed, and I agree

I know that is more negative than positive, but I don't think he's a throwaway prospect, he just has a lot of work to do.

As an aside, wow did the Czechs make poor line changes. It's difficult to notice on TV because it's usually out of frame, but there were many times where the Canadians were transitioning into the offensive zone and you would see certain numbered Czechs seeming to start back-checking. Next thing you know, the Canadians are setting up shop in the Czech's zone and several seconds later, new numbers are on the ice for the Czechs. What! Were the Czech forwards really that slow that they said, 'ah, screw it, let's change at the worst possible moment since it won't matter anyway.' I know it's a short tournament with little time to focus on all the details, but that's a coaching problem.

Also, Pierre McGuire is still an idiot.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:04 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
i don't know why he was not given an assist on fasth's goal vs US.

jarnkrok also won over 55% of his faceoffs. but that was actually among the worst on sweden. johan larsson won over 70%.

imo, jarnkrok was certainly the most impressive of the prospects. i think his skating is a big advantage over pulkkinen.

i hope pulkkinen's skating does not limit him to being a player like hudler.

callahan looked like a fairly ordinary 4th liner. nothing really notable.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:41 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
imo, jarnkrok was certainly the most impressive of the prospects. i think his skating is a big advantage over pulkkinen.

I completely agree. I think Pulkkinen might have a slightly better offensive upside but Järnkrok tops that with his serious two-way ability and spectacular skating.

Pulu's skating seems like a weakness right now, but I have to say that he's come a long way in it since last season and I don't see a reason for him not to continue developing it during this season and especially the summer.

There are two kids who could possibly bring something special to the Wings organisation in a couple of years. It's really a great thing how we've been able to draft some serious offensive skill despite drafting at a low number for many years. Nyquist, Tatar, Järnkrok, Pulkkinen etc... I also think Sheahan will put up good points when he turns pro. It might be a good idea to move to the OHL(does Erie still own his rights?) and further develop his offensive game since he's already a superb defensive center.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:02 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Just watched the USA-Slovakia and USA-Germany games. Well, the Callahan shifts, anyway. He didn't play much in either game until USA had a healthy lead, and then he got pretty good IT. Some observations....

- good hustle, always going, which makes his average skating look slightly better than average

- showed his antagonizing skills, getting under the skin of a couple Slovaks

- lost his man in front of the net, which led to the Slovaks only goal; defense doesn't seem too bad though; regular PKer

- showed a pretty hard slapshot from the top of the slot in the 3rd period of the Slovakia game, though he had all the time in the world; apparently went wide, but I think it went through the back of the net

- showed some decent puck control in the offensive end against Germany, the kind that you like to see 4th-liners have if for no other reason than to keep the other team out of your end

- you can see he likes to be in on offensive rushes and he looks confident doing it, probably has to do with his success this season; very nearly tipped one in against Germany

- you can't help but like this kid

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I missed the entire preliminary portion of the tournament because I was out of town over the holidays, but I did record all the games. Just watched the Czechs get stormed by the Canucks, and I can't say I'm very impressed by Nestrasil.
Greeeat. Who else could the Wings have gotten with that first round pick? Instead they gots Ferraro and Nestrasil. Well played.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Brun0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i don't know why he was not given an assist on fasth's goal vs US.

jarnkrok also won over 55% of his faceoffs. but that was actually among the worst on sweden. johan larsson won over 70%.

que? most impressive...thar's some serious bull

Pulkkinen has been contributing so far in every competietion&league he has played in, järnkrok hasn't really produced all that much.

Pierre was very high on Pulkkinen.

His skaring looked actually pretty good...i can post some highlights if you want.

Brun0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Brun0

Besides Pulkkinen has a shot that hudler has never seen.

Old
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
No1Joker

Pulkkinen is a blue chip prospect, but remember Brun0 is one of the biggest homers on this board, so dont get too excited

No1Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun0 View Post
Besides Pulkkinen has a shot that hudler has never seen.
So does Jason Williams.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Brun0

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Joker View Post
Pulkkinen is a blue chip prospect, but remember Brun0 is one of the biggest homers on this board, so dont get too excited
maybe compaired to finns, but compaired to fellow Canadians and Swedens you can't really call me a homer all that much tbh.