HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Zuccarello Appreciation Thread (Videos inside)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
  #76
Lady Vengeance
FTTW
 
Lady Vengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Wolfy posted this in the MZA... Really?? Thread, so I'm guessing they were roommates:
It was mentioned on NHL Live that they were roommates in Hartford.

Lady Vengeance is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
  #77
babyshamble
Registered User
 
babyshamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oslo/Bangkok
Country: Norway
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
I doubt that they are roommates because Mats is living with his girlfriend. But they probably live in the same apartment block or something.

babyshamble is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  #78
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
I believe his girlfriend did not come with him to the US

Let's just say that both are rookies recently called up from Hartford, that's why they know each other and stick together.

Wolfy is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
  #79
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Is he really that bad defensively though? Can't say I've noticed him being particularly bad in that regard since he got called up.
He hasn't been... Only mistake he made was early on in the Tampa Bay game (first one) where he didn't' pick up Vinny L in front of the net and they scored.... Aside from that, he's negated some odd-man rushes with strong back-checking..... I don't believe Torts thinks he's poor defensively, just not confident in his defensive play (yet) because he's unfamiliar with the player, which is understandable...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
  #80
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
He hasn't been... Only mistake he made was early on in the Tampa Bay game (first one) where he didn't' pick up Vinny L in front of the net and they scored.... Aside from that, he's negated some odd-man rushes with strong back-checking..... I don't believe Torts thinks he's poor defensively, just not confident in his defensive play (yet) because he's unfamiliar with the player, which is understandable...
Eh, that wasn't really his mistake. It was Stepan's. Vinny was his man, and he just skated into the slot and stopped.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 04:48 PM
  #81
NHLFreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
So would you say he's here to stay?

NHLFreak is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 03:52 AM
  #82
Slayem
Lucky Zuke
 
Slayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beyond Hell
Country: Norway
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Mats about Marc: " I've never played with a better defenseman. He is quite impossible to come by and is absolutely superb defensive."
I agree 100% !!


Last edited by Slayem: 01-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Slayem is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 04:06 AM
  #83
Slayem
Lucky Zuke
 
Slayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beyond Hell
Country: Norway
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
What is Zucca saying here?

Slayem is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 04:12 AM
  #84
KingStian
Registered User
 
KingStian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
So would you say he's here to stay?
Itís impossible to say for sure at this point, but with all the injuries I would say his chances to stay up are good. As long as he keeps playing at the quality level he has played until now, I donít see how they could send him down. And Tortorella really seams to like him a lot too.

KingStian is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 04:35 AM
  #85
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
Itís impossible to say for sure at this point, but with all the injuries I would say his chances to stay up are good. As long as he keeps playing at the quality level he has played until now, I donít see how they could send him down. And Tortorella really seams to like him a lot too.
What other options do the rangers have at this point anyway?

We already called up half the whalepack because of injuries.

Hockey Team is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 05:17 AM
  #86
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
Itís impossible to say for sure at this point, but with all the injuries I would say his chances to stay up are good. As long as he keeps playing at the quality level he has played until now, I donít see how they could send him down. And Tortorella really seams to like him a lot too.
I'm not sure about it, unless MZA scores 4 goals in a row in the next 2 games i think he will be sent down :

Anisimov
Avery
Boyle
Callahan INJURY
Christensen INJURY
Drury
Dubinsky
Fedotenko
Gaborik
Prospal INJURY
Prust
Stepan
Wolski
MZA

MZA will sticks with NY until late january, then Prospal, Callahan and Christensen will be back which would make 14 forwards.

Komarov47 is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 05:47 AM
  #87
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 3,994
vCash: 500
what he needs is to produce more points..

What is he now...1 + 3 in 6 games ?

But the team hasn't scored a lot lately either, so it's touch to say...

It's getting closer to play off time, so it could be that he's sent down to get the goal/assist feeling again and then brought up near the play of's...

But I've been wrong before...

Glennsoe is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 06:00 AM
  #88
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Zuccarello could easily have had a PPG pace at this time with a little bit more chemistry with his teammates, some luck with burying his own chances and teammates burying his passes.

I don't see how you can send him down, considering the creativity he brings to the team. He brings alot more than Christensen, that's for sure.

Frodo is 1+4 in 8 games.

Chimp is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 07:21 AM
  #89
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Funny how many people were coming out of the woodworks to say negative stuff when he started the season predictably in AHL as if that fact would mean he'd never make the team and do anything. Can't sit here and say he's gonna stick quite yet either though. Way he's playing if he keeps it up it's a no brainer but he could possibly have a slump and need some time to recover in AHL. He's been real real good though. He did more than enough to earn about 8 assists so far but the other team or goalie made spectacular saves.

JimmyStart* is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
  #90
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper
 
Norwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asker, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Zuccarello could easily have had a PPG pace at this time with a little bit more chemistry with his teammates, some luck with burying his own chances and teammates burying his passes.

I don't see how you can send him down, considering the creativity he brings to the team. He brings alot more than Christensen, that's for sure.

Frodo is 1+4 in 8 games.
+2 shootout goals. 2 out of 3 pucks in the net, has been game winners. He certainly has made a difference so far. Hope he stays up, he deserves it. But i would not bet on it.

Norwegian is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
  #91
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Funny how many people were coming out of the woodworks to say negative stuff when he started the season predictably in AHL as if that fact would mean he'd never make the team and do anything. Can't sit here and say he's gonna stick quite yet either though. Way he's playing if he keeps it up it's a no brainer but he could possibly have a slump and need some time to recover in AHL. He's been real real good though. He did more than enough to earn about 8 assists so far but the other team or goalie made spectacular saves.
What I gathered from reports of his play in Hartford, he was on of (if not the) best players on the team initially, it just didn't result in any points (much like his first games as a Ranger). His play might have slumped after that for a while before he exploded, but I think the points will come in bunches when the rest of the team figures him out. He doesn't seem to think the game the same way as regular players and he is only supposed to surprise the opposition, not his teammates...

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
  #92
Placid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
What I gathered from reports of his play in Hartford, he was on of (if not the) best players on the team initially, it just didn't result in any points
On a Norwegian hockey forum we had several guys watching the AHL games. They described Zucc's teammates as "a bunch of lumbering buffalo's who couldnt receive a pass to save their life".

Probably a very harsh description of them, but once they got to know eachothers playstyles better, things improved

Placid is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
  #93
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper
 
Norwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asker, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
On a Norwegian hockey forum we had several guys watching the AHL games. They described Zucc's teammates as "a bunch of lumbering buffalo's who couldnt receive a pass to save their life".

Probably a very harsh description of them, but once they got to know eachothers playstyles better, things improved
I watched most of his games in ahl, and was not very impressed with his teammates. But the biggest problem was that the team didnt play to his strenghts, it was not until Nšslund wanted him back to modo they opened their eyes and gave him pp time and topline minutes. Newbury as his center also helped! Mats needs skill around him, even tho he got the abillity to make his linemates better he needs someone to give him the puck and be able to recive a pass, and put the puck in the net. if he had that from the start he would atleast be ppg in ahl.
The only upset was that he started to shoot more and he actually got more goals than assists and thats a first for him. Most of his pp points came when he was on the point, QBing the pp. maybe something to think about for the Rangers aswell?

Norwegian is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
  #94
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
About the time MZA started to put up more points there was an article by either Schoeny or Gernander that said something like, it took his teammates and himself a few weeks to understand eachothers playing style. MZA is a very slick passer and his teammates just weren't expecting passes at times when he would make them.

Once they realized to always be watching him and he learned how to play a little more NA style, they meshed well and the points started to pour in.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
  #95
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Cat View Post
What is Zucca saying here?
"Henrik was standing like this, and cried: No more shootout! No more shootout! Please...haven't even been remotely close..."



Zuccarello named his "career-team" in the newspapers:

http://translate.google.com/translat...tid%3D10037095

Quote:
- Gaborik is among the fastest I've seen with the puck, and I could obviously had with Foppa. He was an idol for me as a younger, and it was the gun that I had time to play with him in Modo - especially since he was still so good, "said Zuccarello. Nevertheless, there are other - and far less familiar - names that have come in Zuccarello line-up. Simply because they are meant more for the 23-year-old's career.

SirKillalot is online now  
Old
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
  #96
Slayem
Lucky Zuke
 
Slayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beyond Hell
Country: Norway
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
About the time MZA started to put up more points there was an article by either Schoeny or Gernander that said something like, it took his teammates and himself a few weeks to understand eachothers playing style. MZA is a very slick passer and his teammates just weren't expecting passes at times when he would make them.

Once they realized to always be watching him and he learned how to play a little more NA style, they meshed well and the points started to pour in.
I think its a bit of the same on the Rangers too, he finds rooms all the time but rarely gets a pass, at least in some games. Ending him chasing around and getting out of position.
I guess this will be better in the future.

Slayem is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
  #97
Slayem
Lucky Zuke
 
Slayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beyond Hell
Country: Norway
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=SirKillalot;30132639]"Henrik was standing like this, and cried: No more shootout! No more shootout! Please...haven't even been remotely close..."[QUOTE]

Or maybe "Outside NY there are fish this big...between their eyes"

Slayem is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
  #98
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper
 
Norwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asker, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Come on Mats, show your a greater asset than Wolski!

Norwegian is offline  
Old
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
  #99
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I'm not sure about it, unless MZA scores 4 goals in a row in the next 2 games i think he will be sent down :

Anisimov
Avery
Boyle
Callahan INJURY
Christensen INJURY
Drury
Dubinsky
Fedotenko
Gaborik
Prospal INJURY
Prust
Stepan
Wolski
MZA

MZA will sticks with NY until late january, then Prospal, Callahan and Christensen will be back which would make 14 forwards.
Callahan will take Weise's spot. Prospal likely won't come back at all. And there's no way they bump Zuccarello in favor of Christensen, unless Zuccarello's game drops way off.

Zil is offline  
Old
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
  #100
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper
 
Norwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asker, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Another good game by Mats, to bad he could not get one past Auld. Created quite a few chances, took more shots (4on net 1 blokked and 4 missed) Hopefully it will start to pay out in more points. Also hoping he gets more time on the pp, 35sek is not much. Maybe he can get a shot at the point, Stepan did not impress there last night.

Norwegian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.