HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking to make another deal

Old
01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I would like to see NY take a run at Mike Komisarek

guy has the crease clearing snarl they need

plus he is a local kid like Gilroy

and he is wasting away in toronto-ville
Not even if Drury is going the other way. Komisarek has 3 years left at 4.5 cap hit. No way I want that contract.

The only dmen in consideration are ones with expiring contracts.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberma1 View Post
I do not understand why everyone thinks that Matt Gilroy is not capable of being a defensemen that can generate some offense. Lets be real here last year he was sent to Hartford for quite some time, and when he did play had to do it with our great friend Wade Redden. This guy won the Hobey Baker Award for a reason, it is way too soon to call quits on him, not to mention that we would not get anything that big for gilroy because yes, he has not played to full potential. In my opinion he has improved a lot this year and can generate some offense given the opportunity. Not to mention that he has vastly improved on the defensive side of his game . I can also guarantee that MDZ trade stock is a lot higher then Gilroy s and a possible deal involving MDZ can and would bring a decent amount of talent back to the rangers. Remember Sather a couple of years back was a handshake away from getting stamkos with MDZ being the central part of the deal on the Rangers side of things
Del Zotto is much better than Gilroy. Gilroy is way too soft, not reliable defensively againts scoring lines. And his offense is nothing special.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I mentioned it in another thread but:

Philips
Pitkanen
Kaberle
Carkner
Allen
Kuba
McCabe

In that order.
Philips would be awesome

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:21 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC9400 View Post
If having McCabe is essentially the same thing as a Redden or Roszival then why not get him since he possesses something we need?? McCabe has a huge shot and can man a PP point and will instantly turn Del Zotto's game around. DZ will be racking up assists with McCabe firing them at the point.
I think you missed the point of comparison. We don't need slow brains that happen to find themselves on the scoresheet here and there was the basis of comparison.
That huge shot, when he takes it, usually plants itself in the other teams shin pads or wide of the net.
It will not turn MDZ's game around, just another chance of Hank being left out to dry.

Quote:
McCabe also is a pretty physical nasty dman...yea he takes bad penalties sometimes and isn't great defensively, but how long have Rangers fans been preaching for a tough dman who will take the rough penalty to knock somebody jabbing away on their backside?? McCabe will get in their face, and definitely more then Redden and Rozy...
McCabe is far from physical enough, one of my major gripes about him.
He seems he takes bad penalties more often than not, especially when they cost a few games.
Bold, we have been preaching for that, yes. McCabe isn't that. He WAS at one point. He COULD BE. He isn't. Rozy as of late seemed to ht far more than McCabe.
He doesn't get in many faces.

Quote:
Secondly, McCabe at his worst is Redden level defensively...Rozy is a tad better then him...The glaring difference here is McCabe has experience and is comfortable on the PP point...Rozy out there is nervous and will just slap at it anywhere rather than calm it down, much like Staal and Girardi also... McCabe instantly backs the pressure off because of his **** too, gives everybody a little more room.
Not to be a jerk, when was the last time you've seen McCabe play someone who isn't NY? What you describe of Rozy is exactly what I see regularly from McCabe.
He's fumbly as hell.

Quote:
IMO McCabe is exactly the type of dman we need...I wish there was a younger more defensively sound dman but not every player is going to have every tool. This guy possesses some skills that we have zero of and he seems to be a perfect fit IMO...
EN-OH, NO. I'd say your entire post describes Phillips, not McCabe.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:23 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Philips would be awesome
I'll take Phllips!

Old
01-11-2011, 08:26 AM
allstar3970

Quote:

All true. Unfortunately, he's not a very good defenseman.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
OUT!
I simply LOVE your avatar LOL

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Unpredictable1

Quote:

I would be very upset if Komi were to join this team.

He's not near the same player after the he was on the bad end of a Lucic beatdown.

I'll take a big pass on that one.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Commodore was sent down to the ahl and has asked for a trade, he is a veteran defender, but thats pretty much what i know about him. is he a possibility?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=1069

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

His contract is awful.

01-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Commodore was sent down to the ahl and has asked for a trade, he is a veteran defender, but thats pretty much what i know about him. is he a possibility?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=1069
he has 2 more seasons with a cap hit at 3.75, a bit much for a guy who would be on the 3rd pair and has been awful this season, however a change of scenery could help him. If we could get him on re-entry waivers at half price it would be something to consider, but I'd rather we try and get Tyutin or Bieksa first.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
PBC9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I think you missed the point of comparison. We don't need slow brains that happen to find themselves on the scoresheet here and there was the basis of comparison.
That huge shot, when he takes it, usually plants itself in the other teams shin pads or wide of the net.
It will not turn MDZ's game around, just another chance of Hank being left out to dry.

McCabe is far from physical enough, one of my major gripes about him.
He seems he takes bad penalties more often than not, especially when they cost a few games.
Bold, we have been preaching for that, yes. McCabe isn't that. He WAS at one point. He COULD BE. He isn't. Rozy as of late seemed to ht far more than McCabe.
He doesn't get in many faces.

Not to be a jerk, when was the last time you've seen McCabe play someone who isn't NY? What you describe of Rozy is exactly what I see regularly from McCabe.
He's fumbly as hell.

EN-OH, NO. I'd say your entire post describes Phillips, not McCabe.
True, I don't get to watch much anymore. I go more from what I know when I used to watch all the games just a year or too back. McCabe really dropped off that much? My entire post describes Phillips?? He has that offensive ability and PP ability?

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sather was pretty specific on the conference call about the Wolski acquisition being a step to making this team even younger, and giving more responsibility to our young defense. I think a lefty defensemen could be brought in, but I don't necessarily think it will be a traditional 30+ year old veteran.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whatever deal you make for any of the guys discussed in this thread is going to be pretty meh imo.

Kaberle is probably the best player out of the group, but theres no way we are getting him without giving Burke a ton in return. The Toronto media will have a meltdown considering Kaberle has been involved in so many rumors. He is their ticket to a big part of their rebuild in a sense.

McCabe would be really nice for the PP, but he doesnt offer much in the way of defense. If you plan on using him on the 3rd pairing with an Eminger or Del Zotto, that could be nightmarish. Would he boost the offense, sure... but again - Florida is going to want something back of prospect value and im not sure if im ready to give up on a guy like Grachev to rent him. The Rangers do have 2 2nd rounders this draft dont they? That could be an option - but I think you could put that pick to better use imo.

Commodore would come cheap and be a vet addition with a cup but his game has really taken a dip. I know he can perform in the playoffs but besides him regrowing that fro im not sure if hes really got a lot to offer this team. No thanks.

Phillips is actually a guy I wouldnt mind playing some middle D minutes. Strong, experienced vet. Sturdy in his own end, plenty of playoff experience. Not flashy. This is guy who probably could be had for a relatively fair price. A cap hit that can be absorbed easily. Im sure hes looking to win... I wouldnt be opposed to this, though i wouldnt plan on giving him a ton of responsibility.

Pitkanen Probably the most talented of the group. Something always rubbed me the wrong way with him, but hes got very good hockey sense when he applies himself. There are moments of lackadaisical play with him though. And im not entirely sure you want to spend what will be probably be a pretty hefty price to land a guy who is capable of playing 25+ minutes a night when you have Staal and Girardi to do that. Of course it will be an added bonus being able to spell those two and Pitkanen would be a no-brainer upgrade to the team, but at what cost? If you look at recent years, Carolina has always tried to make improvements to their team at the deadline. I think theyll be there right to the end and wont be sellers.

Bieksa - Younger than Salo, might benefit from a change of scenery. Kind of has the same rap in Vancouver as Rozy did here, a lot unwarranted. But hes a guy who can rachet up his game in the playoffs and would probably fit in nicely on a second pairing here. Wouldn't be against this one, but i'm sure Vancouver would like to keep that defense depth going into what they hope is going to be a long road in the playoffs.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
True, I don't get to watch much anymore. I go more from what I know when I used to watch all the games just a year or too back. McCabe really dropped off that much? My entire post describes Phillips?? He has that offensive ability and PP ability?
McCabe DID fall off that much, I was thinking as you were when he came here from Toronto. He's been my least favorite Panther since he got the C (before then I just wanted him to be traded).

I think Phillips has the ability, yes. Will he show it? That's another story.
Neither guy has been as good as you described, really...but I just thought it spoke more of Phillips, and I know I'd rather take my chances with him over McCabe.

Old
01-11-2011, 09:34 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Actually, a change of scenery, from what we saw....if Commodore got nasty again (and for the appreciative Garden faithful to feed the craziness of a good banger), I'd take him.He'd be willing to get nasty in front I think...he'd be HUGE in NY if he returned to form.

Anyone else notice we're talking about a bunch of has-beens who don't seem to give a flying ******* where they are anymore? Any change could possibly spark any of these guys....except McCabe.

Old
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
TreeSapLlama

Komisarek is absolute garbage. I wouldn't want him at a 2 mil cap hit.

I would love for the Rangers to grab Phillips, but it will most likely be a rental, as a perusal of the Ottawa boards seems to have unanimous consent that he will resign there in the offseason. That is less enticing to me.

Kaberle could probably be had for our 1st and 2nd, but I wouldn't want to pay that much unless he resigned for a few years.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Whatever deal you make for any of the guys discussed in this thread is going to be pretty meh imo.

Kaberle is probably the best player out of the group, but theres no way we are getting him without giving Burke a ton in return. The Toronto media will have a meltdown considering Kaberle has been involved in so many rumors. He is their ticket to a big part of their rebuild in a sense.

McCabe would be really nice for the PP, but he doesnt offer much in the way of defense. If you plan on using him on the 3rd pairing with an Eminger or Del Zotto, that could be nightmarish. Would he boost the offense, sure... but again - Florida is going to want something back of prospect value and im not sure if im ready to give up on a guy like Grachev to rent him. The Rangers do have 2 2nd rounders this draft dont they? That could be an option - but I think you could put that pick to better use imo.

Commodore would come cheap and be a vet addition with a cup but his game has really taken a dip. I know he can perform in the playoffs but besides him regrowing that fro im not sure if hes really got a lot to offer this team. No thanks.

Phillips is actually a guy I wouldnt mind playing some middle D minutes. Strong, experienced vet. Sturdy in his own end, plenty of playoff experience. Not flashy. This is guy who probably could be had for a relatively fair price. A cap hit that can be absorbed easily. Im sure hes looking to win... I wouldnt be opposed to this, though i wouldnt plan on giving him a ton of responsibility.

Pitkanen Probably the most talented of the group. Something always rubbed me the wrong way with him, but hes got very good hockey sense when he applies himself. There are moments of lackadaisical play with him though. And im not entirely sure you want to spend what will be probably be a pretty hefty price to land a guy who is capable of playing 25+ minutes a night when you have Staal and Girardi to do that. Of course it will be an added bonus being able to spell those two and Pitkanen would be a no-brainer upgrade to the team, but at what cost? If you look at recent years, Carolina has always tried to make improvements to their team at the deadline. I think theyll be there right to the end and wont be sellers.

Bieksa - Younger than Salo, might benefit from a change of scenery. Kind of has the same rap in Vancouver as Rozy did here, a lot unwarranted. But hes a guy who can rachet up his game in the playoffs and would probably fit in nicely on a second pairing here. Wouldn't be against this one, but i'm sure Vancouver would like to keep that defense depth going into what they hope is going to be a long road in the playoffs.
Kaberle will be too expensive and I dont think he is worth it.

No to McCabe - he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have.

Commodre - I would consider on re-entry..he would be up in two years...by then you have to figure..Vtank, McNasty, Niemi, Kundatrek would all be ready to take his spot and he brings that big body, nasty, crease clearing element we don't have.

Pitkanen is a talented guy but I don't like him for some reason...not worth what it would take to acquire him...plus Carolina is not going to sell unless they completely fall out of the race and I don't see that happening.

Bieska - I would welcome with open arms...he would quickly become a favorite of those Ranger fans that actually understand what it takes to win in hockey...I'd offer up one of our 2nds for him.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Here would be my wishlist in order of who I think would be a better fit and potential players that could be used to get them here.

1) Kaberle : Finally adds the PP Qb they needed. Best offensive Dmen that has been mentioned and plays the left side. Max that should be given for a rental...

Can the Rangers add Kaberle in a deal based around the hobbit, and the Washington Pick?

2) Bieksa : Adds leadership, adds muscle. Adds a scrapper who stand up for his teammates. Replaces any offense that Roszival brought. Lefty.

Christensen and a pick for him? How about just a 2nd rounder for him? How about we get crazy here...NYR 1st 2011, Christensen, Zuccarello, Valentenko For Bieska and Hodgson? Too much? <--Hearing this may not be the best draft class.

3) McCabe : Pending UFA at seasons end. Plays the left side. Can play PP as well. Big salary could warrant FLA to dump the remaining contract for a draft pick.

2nd rounder.

4) Pitkanen : Not that I want him less than any of the other, I just don't think he is getting moved. Carolina may make the playoffs.

5) Commodore : Half price on reentry? Could be an option. At full cost, it's too much for the retuirn.

6) Phillips : Could certainly be had. Add vet leadership. Probably wants out of Ott. Physical, but doesn't add to the PP. His presence could potentially hamper development of a younger player.

The more this plays out the more I think that Kaberle is the guy.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:23 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Here would be my wishlist in order of who I think would be a better fit and potential players that could be used to get them here.

1) Kaberle : Finally adds the PP Qb they needed. Best offensive Dmen that has been mentioned and plays the left side. Max that should be given for a rental...

Can the Rangers add Kaberle in a deal based around the hobbit, and the Washington Pick?
Why would you trade MZA for a rental? Makes no sense. We have no idea what Wolski will bring and we need the offensive depth that MZA provides, particularly with Callahan, EC and Frolov out.

Quote:
2) Bieksa : Adds leadership, adds muscle. Adds a scrapper who stand up for his teammates. Replaces any offense that Roszival brought. Lefty.

Christensen and a pick for him? How about just a 2nd rounder for him? How about we get crazy here...NYR 1st 2011, Christensen, Zuccarello, Valentenko For Bieska and Hodgson? Too much? <--Hearing this may not be the best draft class.
Salo may not be back and Bieksa has picked up his game. I doubt he gets traded. The rest is just silly.

Quote:
5) Commodore : Half price on reentry? Could be an option. At full cost, it's too much for the retuirn.
I want no part of Commodore, half price or otherwise. The guy has 2 years left on his contract and isn't good enough to play in the Blue Jackets' top 6. Pass.

Quote:
6) Phillips : Could certainly be had. Add vet leadership. Probably wants out of Ott. Physical, but doesn't add to the PP. His presence could potentially hamper development of a younger player.
In what way? He's UFA at year's end. Whoever we bring in is likely to get significant minutes. He won't block the kids any more than any other dman we might bring in.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Del Zotto is much better than Gilroy. Gilroy is way too soft, not reliable defensively againts scoring lines. And his offense is nothing special.

Actually to be fair Gilroy has beaten MDZ out of his spot. What happens in the long run? Who knows but right now the right guy is Hartford

01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sather was pretty specific on the conference call about the Wolski acquisition being a step to making this team even younger, and giving more responsibility to our young defense. I think a lefty defensemen could be brought in, but I don't necessarily think it will be a traditional 30+ year old veteran.
Sather sounds committed to going with the kids. Unless some cant refuse deal comes calling I dont see them deviating from this gameplan

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
NYR Viper

I don't think people understand how good Philips is.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

What about Brewer from StL?(assuming they slide back by deadline)

I've only seen him a couple times but he's stood out.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
What about Brewer from StL?(assuming they slide back by deadline)

I've only seen him a couple times but he's stood out.
Very physical. I would take him.

I would probably actually rather see a Philips, Hejda, Brewer, Carkner brought in over a Pitkanen, Kaberle type. Considering the firepower in the East, I would rather put together a second "shut-down" pairing over having an offensive defenseman who will take 3-4 weeks to gain chemistry with their teammates anyways.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote